First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 28, 2017, 10:13 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #1 of 149 (4528 views)
Shortcut
Tube Challenge: number 3 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fighting the boredom of another summer close-season!

Just to let you all know, over the past couple of months I've been planning a third Tube Challenge. The route is planned, the hotel is booked, and it'll be taking place later this week on...

Friday 30th June

...starting at Upminster at 04:53. This is the very first timetabled tube train of the day, giving me an earlier start to my day and (hopefully) an earlier finish. I'm booked into Travelodge in downtown Romford for Thursday night, so will hopefully get a better night of sleep than I did on Challenge number 2 last October when I travelled down by bus.

As with last time, I shall try and post some messages through the day to let everyone know of my progress, along with further contribution from TheWavendonian at HQ-MK.

The Guinness World Record presently stands at 15 hours 45 minutes and 38 seconds, set by Andi James and Steve Wilson in May 2015, while my own PB presently stands at a much more pedestrian 21 hours 5 minutes and 59 seconds! Hopefully, this year I'm hoping to finish somewhere closer to 19 hours (which'll be at around midnight).

So here's looking forward to 04:53 on Friday morning...

BRING IT ON! Smile

pitch 63
First Team Star

Jun 28, 2017, 12:09 PM

Post #2 of 149 (4483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best of luck. I look forward to the regular updates on the day.

Darren Lovell
First Team Star

Jun 28, 2017, 12:26 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #3 of 149 (4475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wishing you the very best of luck (again!) I am eagerly looking forward to watching the progress updates!

Grounds Visited 315
Last New Ground:Millwall Training Ground
Last Game:Swindon Town 0-1 Cheltenham Town
FA Cup 1 Replay 19.11.19
Games In Season 2019-20: 36
New Grounds This Season: 3
Goals This Season: 107
Ave goals per game: 2.97

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jun 28, 2017, 12:45 PM

Team(s): Derby County, with a chunk of my heart still following Hucknall

Post #4 of 149 (4451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Darren Lovell] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Trains, maps, keeping track, what is not to like Smile

Good luck

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 28, 2017, 12:56 PM

Post #5 of 149 (4448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Best of luck. I look forward to the regular updates on the day.

Thanks, Pitch63. Much appreciated.

I have two new manoeuvres that I'm hoping to put to use. One is the no.257 bus between Leytonstone and Walthamstow Central, which will save going 'out-and-back' on the Victoria line to Walthamstow. The other is travelling from Richmond to Hatton Cross by using the overground train from Richmond to Feltham, then the no.285 bus from Feltham up to Hatton Cross. This will (hopefully) be quicker than re-covering my tracks back up from the Richmond terminus and the 'out-and-back' that I'd otherwise have to do to get to Heathrow.

These are the only two new things I've got to add to this attempt, but I'm hoping they're enough to make a bit of a difference. I'm off to London tomorrow and will do a dry-run of the Richmond-to-Hatton journey in the morning, just to make sure it does work.

As well as giving me an early start, beginning the challenge at Upminster also gives me the chance of ticking off the problematic Kensington Olympia station nice and early. At the moment, there are only nine mid-week services a day out of Olympia - seven at or before 07:15, and just two in the evening - so it is by far the most time-sensitive issue of the day. (There are some very very rare occasions through the year when Olympia has a mid-week all-day service - the GB Beer Festival and the Home Exhibition might be two of them - and this has invariably been when the best completion times have been made. This allows for a Chesham/Amersham start without being dependent upon those two very unreliable evening Olympia services).

Other limited service stations and early closing stations will also be ticked off earlier in the day (with luck!).

Thanks again.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 28, 2017, 12:58 PM

Post #6 of 149 (4447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Darren Lovell] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Wishing you the very best of luck (again!) I am eagerly looking forward to watching the progress updates!

Thanks Darren! I shall do my best to make it as entertaining as possible! Wink

TheWavendonian
Youth Team Star

Jun 28, 2017, 1:18 PM

Team(s): Anywhere picturesque making good tea

Post #7 of 149 (4430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm afraid this time i will be out of action in work hours (8.15 to 17.45) but will be able to update from then on.

Though i may be able to slip one in between those times (heh heh heh).

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 28, 2017, 1:30 PM

Post #8 of 149 (4423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [justAndy] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Trains, maps, keeping track, what is not to like Smile

Good luck

Thanks Andy. If you like your maps, here is the planned route.

The route can obviously change at any moment during the day, and can be subject to delays and diversions. But the basic line of thought at the moment goes something like this...

Upminster to Algate East (District)
Algate East to Aldgate (foot)
Aldgate to Barons Court (Circle/District)
Barons Court to Olympia (foot)
Olympia to Edgware Road (District)
Edgware Road to Hammersmith (H&C)
Hammersmith to Richmond (District)
Richmond to Hatton Cross (via Feltham train and bus)
Hatton Cross/Heathrow to Acton Town (Piccadilly)
Acton Town to Chiswick Park to Ealing Broadway (District)
Ealing Broadway to West Acton (Central)
West Acton to North Ealing (foot)
North Ealing to Uxbridge to Ickenham (Piccadilly)
Ickenham to West Ruislip (foot)
West Ruislip to Epping/Hainault loop/Leytonstone (Central)
Leytonstone to Walthamstow Central (bus)
Walthamstow Central to Warren Street (Victoria)
Warren Street to Euston Square (foot)
Euston Square/Great Portland St/Barbican/Kings Cross (Circle)
Kings Cross to Covent Garden to Cockfosters (Piccadilly)
Cockfosters to High Barnet (bus)
High Barnet/Finchley Central/Mill Hill East to Elephant & C (Northern)
Elephant & C to Harrow & W to Kenton (Bakerloo)
Kenton to Northwick Park (foot)
Northwick Park/West Harrow/Watford/Amersham/Chesham (Metrop.)
Chesham to Finchley Road (Metrop.)
Finchley Road/St.Johns Wood/Stanmore/Canons Park (Jubilee)
Canons Park to Edgware (bus)
Edgware to Leicester Square (Northern)
Leicester Square to Earl's Court (Piccadilly)
Earl's Court to Wimbledon (District)
Wimbledon to South Wimbledon (foot)
South Wimbledon/Morden to Stockwell (Northern)
Stockwell/Brixton/Pimlico/Stockwell (Victoria)
Stockwell to Waterloo (Northern)
Waterloo to Canning Town (Jubilee)

...and I think that will tick all 270 stations!

Excepting the Olympia issue, the most problematic section is the north-western section of the Metropolitan line, taking in Watford/Amersham/Chesham, which can easily take two-and-a-half hours to clear. Not set in stone yet, but I might get the Chiltern Trains from Harrow-On-The-Hill out to Amersham them work my way back Harrow. It might be a bit easier than working outwards - on both of my last two attempts, I've had near-30minute waits at Moor Park.

Thanks again.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 28, 2017, 1:36 PM

Post #9 of 149 (4415 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheWavendonian] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm afraid this time i will be out of action in work hours (8.15 to 17.45) but will be able to update from then on.

Thanks for your show of support and unwavering loyalty. Tongue

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jun 28, 2017, 1:41 PM

Post #10 of 149 (4409 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Q. Sort of watched one of these on youtube. Do you have to step out of the train at each station for it to get a tick ?

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 28, 2017, 1:50 PM

Post #11 of 149 (4405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [justAndy] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Q. Sort of watched one of these on youtube. Do you have to step out of the train at each station for it to get a tick ?

No, you don't have to step out of the train at each station (though I'm sure some have done in the past). You have to just be on services that call at all 270 Underground stations. This is why it has to be done sometime Monday-to-Friday, because there are several stations that are not open at weekends. (The irony that Olympia has a comprehensive service at weekends but skeletal mid-week is not lost on those who attempt this!)

Friday is an ideal day because, since last autumn, there are plenty of night services after midnight that you don't get Monday-to-Thursday.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 28, 2017, 2:45 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #12 of 149 (4373 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Fighting the boredom of another summer close-season!

Just to let you all know, over the past couple of months I've been planning a third Tube Challenge. The route is planned, the hotel is booked, and it'll be taking place later this week on...

Friday 30th June

...starting at Upminster at 04:53. This is the very first timetabled tube train of the day, giving me an earlier start to my day and (hopefully) an earlier finish. I'm booked into Travelodge in downtown Romford for Thursday night, so will hopefully get a better night of sleep than I did on Challenge number 2 last October when I travelled down by bus.

As with last time, I shall try and post some messages through the day to let everyone know of my progress, along with further contribution from TheWavendonian at HQ-MK.

The Guinness World Record presently stands at 15 hours 45 minutes and 38 seconds, set by Andi James and Steve Wilson in May 2015, while my own PB presently stands at a much more pedestrian 21 hours 5 minutes and 59 seconds! Hopefully, this year I'm hoping to finish somewhere closer to 19 hours (which'll be at around midnight).

So here's looking forward to 04:53 on Friday morning...

BRING IT ON! Smile

Good luck with your latest challenge, hope you beat your record. Maybe next summer you could try this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...ish-railway-stations

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 28, 2017, 3:14 PM

Post #13 of 149 (4359 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Good luck with your latest challenge, hope you beat your record. Maybe next summer you could try this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...ish-railway-stations

Thanks, Tykeoldboy.

My personal best time is 21+ hours, which presently sits at the very foot of the table of all-recorded completion times, so I'm hoping to improve at least a bit on that!

The bloke in that clip who is presently visiting all the railway stations in Britain is Geoff Marshall. He has held the Guinness World Record for the fastest completion of the Tube Challenge on several occasions over the past dozen years or so, though not at present.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 28, 2017, 5:49 PM

Post #14 of 149 (4316 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheWavendonian] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

Was hoping you would produce a few YouTube videos and provide him with a Vicki. Are we going to get Facebook lives, Instagrams and Periscopes?. How about a WhatsApp group for the occasion.

TheWavendonian
Youth Team Star

Jun 28, 2017, 7:15 PM

Post #15 of 149 (4265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Come on Molders, thats all too modern for me. I've only just discovered these compact disc thingies... Although my needle keeps sliding across them.

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jun 28, 2017, 7:42 PM

Post #16 of 149 (4249 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Was hoping you would produce a few YouTube videos and provide him with a Vicki. Are we going to get Facebook lives, Instagrams and Periscopes?. How about a WhatsApp group for the occasion.

Can he not have GPS fitted like Santa does at xmas, then we can follow him on google maps. (I was with you up to Instagrams)

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 28, 2017, 9:37 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #17 of 149 (4221 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Can he not have GPS fitted like Santa does at xmas, then we can follow him on google maps. (I was with you up to Instagrams)

You mean someone creep up behind him and shoot him with a tranquiliser dart then fit a GPS bracelet around his ankle LaughLaugh

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 28, 2017, 9:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #18 of 149 (4216 views)
Shortcut

I'm looking forward to this aswell. Hope you can keep us updated as much as possible 'real time'. I enjoyed reading the last one. Good luck!

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jun 28, 2017, 9:56 PM

Post #19 of 149 (4207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

You mean someone creep up behind him and shoot him with a tranquiliser dart then fit a GPS bracelet around his ankle LaughLaugh

Didn't know you could do that, but yes, it is an idea Laugh

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 29, 2017, 9:46 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #20 of 149 (4133 views)
Shortcut

At it again? You must be mad but it's seriously good entertainment keeping up with how your day progresses so the very best of luck with it.Laugh

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 29, 2017, 10:59 AM

Post #21 of 149 (4117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm looking forward to this aswell. Hope you can keep us updated as much as possible 'real time'. I enjoyed reading the last one. Good luck!

Thanks Steve.

Nearly 260 of the 270 Underground stations have wi-fi (though not the trains), so I should be able to post progress reports every half-hour or so. I'll do my best to keep everyone updated.

Thanks again.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 29, 2017, 11:00 AM

Post #22 of 149 (4115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Tube Challenge: number 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
At it again? You must be mad but it's seriously good entertainment keeping up with how your day progresses so the very best of luck with it.Laugh

Cheers KK!

I'll do my best! Wink

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 29, 2017, 11:02 AM

Post #23 of 149 (4112 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Ta Acmold. I try and leave all the hi-tech stuff to the bloke in MK!

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Jun 29, 2017, 1:28 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #24 of 149 (4079 views)
Shortcut

Good luck with your efforts on 30/6.

Will you be getting a lift/taxi on the Wimbledon to South Wimbledon stretch or do you have to complete on foot? It must be a good five/ten minute jog even if Usain Bolt attempted it?

TheWavendonian
Youth Team Star

Jun 29, 2017, 1:51 PM

Post #25 of 149 (4061 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Ta Acmold. I try and leave all the hi-tech stuff to the bloke in MK!

yep all hi tech here, Telex machine installed ready

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3