First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

adamsquire86
Youth Team Sub

Jun 20, 2017, 11:54 AM

Team(s): Wrexham, Wales, Coedpoeth United, Cefn Druids, Cardiff City

Post #1 of 28 (6369 views)
Shortcut
North East Wales Football League 2017-18 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Offa Athletic posting on their website that the following team will partake in the North East Wales league next season.

Offa Athletic
Halkyn United
CPD Sychdyn
Marchwiel Villa (new)
Brymbo Victoria (new)
Plas Madoc (new)
Acton Village
Flint Mountain
Aston Park Rangers
Bradley Park
Caerwys
Rhosllanuchrugog (new)
Bellevue (new)
Airbus Academy (new)
Connahs Quay Nomads Academy
Penyffordd Lions (new)
Mostyn Dragons
Mold Town United

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/offaathleticfc/news/league-lineup-finalised-1846846.html

Personally I'm intrigued by the Brymbo Victoria name being resurrected after 105+ years. I wrote my dissertation on football history in the Wrexham area, so I'm well aware of the original club.

Another of the new clubs, Bellevue FC, have been featured in the local press recently too.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-40290767

Welsh Head Researcher for Football Manager computer game series. Anyone interested in being a researcher get in touch.

(This post was edited by adamsquire86 on Jun 20, 2017, 11:56 AM)

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2017, 7:53 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #2 of 28 (6250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamsquire86] North East Wales Football League 2017-18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's 18 teams, and there is some uncertainty as to how many divisions will operate for the new season.

Some notes on the new teams -

Marchwiel Villa are back after 20+ years out. I saw them play at Station Road in their last incarnation, but I was under the impression that the pitch was too small for senior football. Maybe not.

Brymbo Victoria could be playing at the ground used by Tanyfron United before their early demise.

I expect Plas Madoc to be playing on a pitch next to the Leisure Centre of the same name near Ruabon.

Rhosllanerchrugog wanted to join last summer, but pulled out just before the season started. They are due to play at Rhos Rugby Club, just off Stryt-Issa.

Bellevue will probably be playing in Belle Vue Park, Wrexham, previously used by Unideg Penybryn a few years ago.

Penyffordd Lions will be playing at Penyffordd's original ground, on Abbott's Lane in the village.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2017, 8:40 PM

Post #3 of 28 (6221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] North East Wales Football League 2017-18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

One ground move I know of - Offa Athletic are moving from New Broughton to Gresford Colliery Club.

ffwtbol
Youth Team Sub

Jun 21, 2017, 1:47 PM

Post #4 of 28 (6126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamsquire86] North East Wales Football League 2017-18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd love to read your dissertation.

adamsquire86
Youth Team Sub

Jun 22, 2017, 8:34 AM

Post #5 of 28 (6012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] North East Wales Football League 2017-18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Brymbo Victoria could be playing at the ground used by Tanyfron United before their early demise.

You may well be right on that one. I was out running last night and there was a game on at the pitch by Brymbo Pool. The pitch was freshly cut and the lines had been painted. No idea who the teams were, one was in Yellow and Blue stripes, and the other in Black and White stripes. I assume the home team was in Yellow and Blue as that was the colour of the corner flags too.

Unable to find any actual information on Brymbo Victoria however. The only online references are to the original club.

Welsh Head Researcher for Football Manager computer game series. Anyone interested in being a researcher get in touch.

(This post was edited by adamsquire86 on Jun 22, 2017, 8:34 AM)

adamsquire86
Youth Team Sub

Jun 22, 2017, 8:36 AM

Post #6 of 28 (6010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ffwtbol] North East Wales Football League 2017-18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I would let you, but I'm now in the process of writing a book based on it.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 22, 2017, 9:17 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #7 of 28 (5992 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

The one should not preclude the other. You could e-mail some stuff, especially if the reader can make a critical response. I have been in discussion with a publisher, and have been told to continue to publish blogs which contain part, but not all of a future book.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

adamsquire86
Youth Team Sub

Jun 22, 2017, 9:57 AM

Post #8 of 28 (5977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] North East Wales Football League 2017-18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

The one should not preclude the other. You could e-mail some stuff, especially if the reader can make a critical response. I have been in discussion with a publisher, and have been told to continue to publish blogs which contain part, but not all of a future book.

Ah right fair enough, I was unaware of that. The only reason I'm reluctant to share it is because of a potential discovery with regards to the location of the first Welsh Cup final, which I'd like to save for the book. Aside from that the rest is fair game.

ffwtbol
Youth Team Sub

Jun 22, 2017, 10:11 AM

Post #9 of 28 (5971 views)
Shortcut

No problem Adam. I did a lot of research on the Wrexham area for my book on Welsh football, and then for the Wrexham Supporters Trust when they were looking for evidence of the 1864 formation. I look forward to your new research on the first final, which I'd always believed was in the grounds of Acton Hall.

adamsquire86
Youth Team Sub

Jun 22, 2017, 10:24 AM

Post #10 of 28 (5967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ffwtbol] North East Wales Football League 2017-18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
No problem Adam. I did a lot of research on the Wrexham area for my book on Welsh football, and then for the Wrexham Supporters Trust when they were looking for evidence of the 1864 formation. I look forward to your new research on the first final, which I'd always believed was in the grounds of Acton Hall.

Which book is that mate, and what time period did you research?
My dissertation was from around 1860-1921 (purposely chosen as thats the year Wrexham were elected to the Football League).

However I'm currently writing from around 1870-1914. Trying to compile a history of all the clubs that existed in the Wrexham area during this period. I'm limiting it to teams that played in leagues and cups however, as there are too many teams that name appears once for a friendly then vanishes forever.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 22, 2017, 11:56 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #11 of 28 (5954 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

The only reason I'm reluctant to share it is because of a potential discovery with regards to the location of the first Welsh Cup final, which I'd like to save for the book. Aside from that the rest is fair game.
=========================================================

Remember it well.
''The game, by the kind permission of Sir R. A. Cunliffe, was played on Acton Park, in the presence of about 1,500 spectators , sixpence being charged for admission. The ground was in capital order considering the inclement weather of the few previous days, and the committee left nothing undone- to give each team fair play. The grass hall been cut in places and the ground was well rolled, roped and staked. The length staked out was 120 yards by 70. To assist the police in keeping the ground there were three stewards appointed from each of the following clubs :-Wrexham , Druids Ruabon and Foresters. Four o'clock was the time fixed for the kick off, but it was some minutes after before the teams arrive on the ground, each club being well received.''

======================================================

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Jun 22, 2017, 11:56 AM)

adamsquire86
Youth Team Sub

Jun 22, 2017, 12:01 PM

Post #12 of 28 (5946 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] North East Wales Football League 2017-18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

The only reason I'm reluctant to share it is because of a potential discovery with regards to the location of the first Welsh Cup final, which I'd like to save for the book. Aside from that the rest is fair game.

Remember it well.
''The game, by the kind permission of Sir R. A. Cunliffe, was played on Acton Park, in the presence of about 1,500 spectators , sixpence being charged for admission. The ground was in capital order considering the inclement weather of the few previous days, and the committee left nothing undone- to give each team fair play. The grass hall been cut in places and the ground was well rolled, roped and staked. The length staked out was 120 yards by 70. To assist the police in keeping the ground there were three stewards appointed from each of the following clubs :-Wrexham , Druids Ruabon and Foresters. Four o'clock was the time fixed for the kick off, but it was some minutes after before the teams arrive on the ground, each club being well received.''

Yep, it's well established that it took place in Acton Park, however Acton Park is a massive area. Previously the only information I have seen suggests the possible exact location being the current site of Acton Park School, whereas my findings suggest somewhere different.

On a side note, where is that extract from?

Thanks.

(This post was edited by adamsquire86 on Jun 22, 2017, 12:03 PM)

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 22, 2017, 12:52 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #13 of 28 (5928 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Remember it well.

On a side note, where is that extract from?

Thanks.
============================================================
Via Wiki =
Jump up ^ "The Welsh Challenge Cup | 1878-04-06 | Wrexham Guardian - Welsh Newspapers Online". Newspapers.library.wales. 2001-08-02. Retrieved 2016-03-08.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

ffwtbol
Youth Team Sub

Jun 22, 2017, 1:59 PM

Post #14 of 28 (5904 views)
Shortcut

My book is called Red Dragons: The Story of Welsh Football. It covers the development of the game in Wales from the first mention of Cnapan in 1603, but primarily from the formation of Wrexham and nearby clubs in the 1860s and the FAW in 1876.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Dragons-Story-Welsh-Football/dp/1847714889/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

(This post was edited by ffwtbol on Jun 22, 2017, 2:02 PM)

adamsquire86
Youth Team Sub

Jun 22, 2017, 2:27 PM

Post #15 of 28 (5877 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
My book is called Red Dragons: The Story of Welsh Football. It covers the development of the game in Wales from the first mention of Cnapan in 1603, but primarily from the formation of Wrexham and nearby clubs in the 1860s and the FAW in 1876.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Dragons-Story-Welsh-Football/dp/1847714889/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Ah yes. I know it. I have a copy at home, I think I may have referenced it during my dissertation too.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 27, 2017, 7:13 PM

Post #16 of 28 (5638 views)
Shortcut

Bit slow of me, but I've just noticed that Hawkesbury Bell are not listed in the new constitution, assumed folded.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 5, 2017, 7:08 PM

Post #17 of 28 (5277 views)
Shortcut

Last season's champions Sychdyn have tweeted that they have folded, leaving the league with "just" 17 teams. I wondered why they hadn't taken up promotion, but it seems a bit strange to fold a couple of days after the AGM.

adamsquire86
Youth Team Sub

Jul 6, 2017, 8:49 AM

Post #18 of 28 (5158 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Last season's champions Sychdyn have tweeted that they have folded, leaving the league with "just" 17 teams. I wondered why they hadn't taken up promotion, but it seems a bit strange to fold a couple of days after the AGM.

Strange one that. The manager seemed quite optimistic in this article from the end of May.
http://clwbpeldroed.org/2017/05/25/meet-manager-ended-32-year-trophy-drought/

However reading between the lines perhaps there are a few clues,
After failing to meet the ground criteria and not being promoted last year, it was extremely tough for the lads and myself to take,

The team consists of players who in my opinion are easily capable of playing WNL standard football
Despite not being able to gain promotion this season, the plan is that the majority of the squad will be staying together.

Just speculating that perhaps after being denied Promotion for two consecutive years, the players might want to play at a higher level?

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 6, 2017, 5:27 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #19 of 28 (5061 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Strange one that. The manager seemed quite optimistic in this article from the end of May.

After failing to meet the ground criteria and not being promoted last year, it was extremely tough for the lads and myself to take,

The team consists of players who in my opinion are easily capable of playing WNL standard football
Despite not being able to gain promotion this season, the plan is that the majority of the squad will be staying together.

Just speculating that perhaps after being denied Promotion for two consecutive years, the players might want to play at a higher level?

Sure I read something somewhere about their lease on the ground running out and that they'd been informed it wasn't going to be renewed.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 8, 2017, 10:31 PM

Post #20 of 28 (4892 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
That's 18 teams, and there is some uncertainty as to how many divisions will operate for the new season.

Marchwiel Villa are back after 20+ years out. I saw them play at Station Road in their last incarnation, but I was under the impression that the pitch was too small for senior football. Maybe not.

I expect Plas Madoc to be playing on a pitch next to the Leisure Centre of the same name near Ruabon.

Rhosllanerchrugog wanted to join last summer, but pulled out just before the season started. They are due to play at Rhos Rugby Club, just off Stryt-Issa.

Bellevue will probably be playing in Belle Vue Park, Wrexham, previously used by Unideg Penybryn a few years ago.

Penyffordd Lions will be playing at Penyffordd's original ground, on Abbott's Lane in the village.

Ground details are now on the website. I was correct with regards to the grounds for Marchwiel, Rhosllanerchrugog, Bellvue and Penyffordd.

Brymbo Victoria are listed as playing at Brymbo (could be on the 2nd pitch?). Plas Madoc will be playing at Ty Mawr Country Park, which hasn't been used for a few years.

The nomadic Flint Mountain are on the move again - this time to Northop Hall, which also hasn't seen any senior men's football for a few years.

Fixtures up to 1st Sep (which is a Friday - Wales are playing on the Saturday) are also on the website.

adamsquire86
Youth Team Sub

Jul 9, 2017, 11:12 AM

Post #21 of 28 (4776 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Brymbo Victoria are listed as playing at Brymbo (could be on the 2nd pitch?)

Brymbo is a bit vague isn't it, although Brymbo actually play in Tanyfrom. Could be the pitch at Brymbo Pool where Tanyfron played, also less likely could by the pitch at Brymbo Green. However the pitch at Brymbo Green doesn't have any facilities.

adamsquire86
Youth Team Sub

Jul 9, 2017, 11:15 AM

Post #22 of 28 (4774 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Brymbo Victoria are listed as playing at Brymbo (could be on the 2nd pitch?)

Brymbo is a bit vague isn't it, although Brymbo actually play in Tanyfrom. Could be the pitch at Brymbo Pool where Tanyfron played, also less likely could by the pitch at Brymbo Green. However the pitch at Brymbo Green doesn't have any facilities.

Actually I take that back, didn't realise their actually address was listed as the Brymbo Cric.

adamsquire86
Youth Team Sub

Jul 13, 2017, 8:21 AM

Post #23 of 28 (4531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] North East Wales Football League 2017-18 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Sure I read something somewhere about their lease on the ground running out and that they'd been informed it wasn't going to be renewed.

A bit more info about Sychdyn folding here,
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/football-club-forced-fold-after-13323830

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 29, 2017, 7:28 AM

Post #24 of 28 (3970 views)
Shortcut

Both Brymbo and Brymbo Victoria have home games on 26th August, so maybe Victoria are playing on the 2nd pitch at Brymbo S&S.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 8, 2017, 9:36 PM

Post #25 of 28 (3398 views)
Shortcut

Brymbo Vics are indeed using the 2nd pitch at Brymbo S&S - see WDYG for tonight.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3