Team(s): Derby County, with a chunk of my heart still following Hucknall

Post #1 of 58 (4538 views)
Shortcut
Party leader quits Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tim Farron,but i bet it got a few pulses racing Smile

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 14, 2017, 6:41 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 58 (4529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [justAndy] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Being outshone by Mr Fishfinger during his acceptance speech was probably the last straw.

007Dale
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2017, 7:09 PM

Post #3 of 58 (4506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Increased a few seats, but vote share not improved. Has overseen the return of two party politics in England.

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 14, 2017, 7:13 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 58 (4497 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I work from home and tend to have the news channels on all day.
This is the first time I have actually learnt of a breaking story on here rather than on the TV. Understandable why on this day.
I quite like Tim Farron as I have said before, he is very eloquent, he puts his point across well and with clarity. It seems he just backed the wrong horse going into this election. He hoped to pick up lots of the non Brexit votes but it just didn't happen.

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jun 14, 2017, 7:18 PM

Team(s): Derby County, with a chunk of my heart still following Hucknall

Post #5 of 58 (4485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I work from home and tend to have the news channels on all day.
This is the first time I have actually learnt of a breaking story on here rather than on the TV. Understandable why on this day.
I quite like Tim Farron as I have said before, he is very eloquent, he puts his point across well and with clarity. It seems he just backed the wrong horse going into this election. He hoped to pick up lots of the non Brexit votes but it just didn't happen.

Was on the beeb site catching up with the tower block fire when it flashed up as 'breaking news'

Don't think Farron did anything wrong as such, just didn't seem to register, Libs usually pick the ball up when the other 2 drop it, didn't happen this time

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2017, 7:27 PM

Post #6 of 58 (4478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [justAndy] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or

Another homophobic God botherer will disappear into oblivion.
Good riddance

garethwrexy
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 14, 2017, 7:45 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #7 of 58 (4451 views)
Shortcut

Blimey

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

acmold

Jun 14, 2017, 8:59 PM

Post #8 of 58 (4397 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Good riddance

Bit of a dope.

windydcfc

Jun 14, 2017, 9:18 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #9 of 58 (4372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Good riddance

Bit of a dope.

I'm sure Vince Cable's return to Westminster will make the leadership battle a very short one.

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

PaulC

Jun 14, 2017, 9:46 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #10 of 58 (4347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Good riddance

Bit of a dope.

I'm sure Vince Cable's return to Westminster will make the leadership battle a very short one.

Jo Swinson would be a better bet.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2017, 9:46 PM

Post #11 of 58 (4346 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well said, Jaundiced Hack. These sort of people really bother me.
I have just spent some time in Northern Ireland and the bigotry from the evangelicals is truly awful.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Jun 15, 2017, 1:00 AM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #12 of 58 (4294 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Good riddance

I wasn't aware of his 'core' beliefs until his appearances in the recent election. It staggers me that our leaders, in the 21st Century haven't ditched such illiberal religious claptrap.

It begs the question as to what he was doing in the LDs in the first place. As to his leadership qualities the less said the better.

Uncle Vince will do an Alladyce for them but the future is Swinsons.

007Dale
First Team Star

Jun 15, 2017, 5:16 AM

Post #13 of 58 (4279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Uncle Vince will do an Alladyce for them but the future is Swinsons.

Suspect that's what will happen.
However, with such a low number of MP's, they could consider a non- MP, if there is a better person out there, and elect a deputy leader who becomes their Parliamentary leader.
SNP, Plaid, DUP all had leaders outside parliament. Also, at the 2015 election, Greens & UKIP had MP's (1 & 2 respectively) but represented by leaders outside parliament.

That said, I have no use who it could be.

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 15, 2017, 6:54 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #14 of 58 (4265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Increased a few seats, but vote share not improved. Has overseen the return of two party politics in England.

Nope, that was Cleggy's achievement. His ejection from Sheffield Hallam was well merited. Cool

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jun 15, 2017, 8:19 AM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #15 of 58 (4245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nope, that was Cleggy's achievement. His ejection from Sheffield Hallam was well merited. Cool

Absolutely. He was the toxic skeleton in the Lib Dem cupboard that prevented them increasing their vote significantly.

Tim Farron seemed like a decent bloke and performed quite well in debate but the press sensed a weakness if they harped on about his religious beliefs and that did for him.

I hope the Lib Dems can move on now without Clegg. I've stopped voting for them because of him, but they are still the biggest party I can vote for who favour a form of proportional representation. We saw in the recent election that a 3% advantage for the Tories translated into 58 seats. Madness.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

007Dale
First Team Star

Jun 15, 2017, 9:30 AM

Post #16 of 58 (4225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I hope the Lib Dems can move on now without Clegg. I've stopped voting for them because of him, but they are still the biggest party I can vote for who favour a form of proportional representation. We saw in the recent election that a 3% advantage for the Tories translated into 58 seats. Madness.

Even worse in Scotland, 37% vote share for SNP and over half the seats in Scotland.

Of course, PR (which I do support), will lead to minority governments and coalition's at almost every election. This Parliament could be a good test-bed.

PaulC

Jun 15, 2017, 12:28 PM

Post #17 of 58 (4181 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Even worse in Scotland, 37% vote share for SNP and over half the seats in Scotland.

Of course, unlike the Tories and Labour, the SNP supports PR.

garethwrexy

Jun 15, 2017, 7:52 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #18 of 58 (4073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's twenty years since tories were wiped off the Scottish political map

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

mip

Jun 15, 2017, 9:10 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #19 of 58 (4036 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Of course, PR (which I do support), will lead to minority governments and coalition's at almost every election. This Parliament could be a good test-bed.

PR is already in operation in 92 countries so not certain there's a need for a test-bed.

Elections will almost always lead to coalitions but not necessarily minority governments.

007Dale
First Team Star

Jun 16, 2017, 8:23 AM

Post #20 of 58 (3913 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

PR is already in operation in 92 countries so not certain there's a need for a test-bed.

Elections will almost always lead to coalitions but not necessarily minority governments.

Let's be clear, self-interest in the Tory and Labour Party means they will never allow it at Westminster. Don't forget, the general public (at the 2011 referendum) soundly rejected a form of it.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jun 16, 2017, 8:34 AM

Team(s):

Post #21 of 58 (3907 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Let's be clear, self-interest in the Tory and Labour Party means they will never allow it at Westminster. Don't forget, the general public (at the 2011 referendum) soundly rejected a form of it.

AV is not a form of proportional representation. It's instant runoff voting, similar to that used for the London Mayor. MPs would still have been elected in single constituencies and the number of seats for each party would not have been linked in any way to proportion of vote share.

Also, the 'no' campaign was so outrageously dishonest that I don't think the result can be considered a true reflection of public opinion.

windydcfc

Jun 16, 2017, 8:42 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #22 of 58 (3902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

AV is not a form of proportional representation. It's instant runoff voting, similar to that used for the London Mayor. MPs would still have been elected in single constituencies and the number of seats for each party would not have been linked in any way to proportion of vote share.

Also, the 'no' campaign was so outrageously dishonest that I don't think the result can be considered a true reflection of public opinion.

What's the voting system that Corbyn says he likes? I know it includes a ffp system for your local MP, combined with a top up of MP's added via PR.

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

007Dale
First Team Star

Jun 16, 2017, 9:27 AM

Post #23 of 58 (3876 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Whatever it was, Nick Clegg thought it was more important than scrappping tuition fees in his coalition negotiations with the Tories.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jun 16, 2017, 1:29 PM

Team(s):

Post #24 of 58 (3817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Party leader quits [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
What's the voting system that Corbyn says he likes? I know it includes a ffp system for your local MP, combined with a top up of MP's added via PR.

Presumably it's some form of mixed-member system. There are numerous variants on it depending on how constituency and proportional MPs are elected. In some countries the constituency MPs are elected via FPTP, in others by the two round system - it could also be done by instant runoff voting. For the proportional MPs, some countries have a separate ballot paper whilst others use the national vote totals for the constituency votes to assign the seats.

PaulC

Jun 16, 2017, 1:32 PM

Post #25 of 58 (3815 views)
Shortcut

You just need to look to Scotland to find a PR system which works.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3