win World Cup Cool

I don't need Google. I have a Hoddy.

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 11, 2017, 7:03 PM

Team(s): None

Post #2 of 8 (4226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] England U20,,,,, [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Only the second FIFA tournament they have ever won.
The FA have only recently started to take these tournaments seriously. A few years ago I remember watching England draw with a poor Uzbekistan team and finish bottom of their group, All the best players at that level were at home with their Premier League or Championship clubs. The next tournament saw England progress by drawing all 3 group games 0-0, then lose to Nigeria in the round of 16.
Of course playing the tournament after the season had finished helped England as did the non-qualification of Brazil and Nigeria normally two of the best teams at that level. Venezuela reached their first final in their first qualification.

jrev61

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 11, 2017, 7:07 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #3 of 8 (4223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] England U20,,,,, [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well done England U20's. First major international trophy since 1966. Can this team perform at a higher level, Well teams winning FIFA aged competitions tend to be a disappointment at full international level, even those players that make the grade at the higher level don't seem to live up to their potential. Maybe club coaches suck the life out pf these players and they end up not being able to break into their clubs first team on a regular basis and they lose that spark they had when they were younger.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

noprogs
First Team Star

Jun 11, 2017, 7:57 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 8 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Watched the second half on Eurosport, and was particularly interested in the Venezuelan penalty.
The referee consulted his video replay assistant and confirmed his original decision, and looking at the replays, he was indeed correct, although in real time I was less convinced - not biased, honest!
The commentator thought the video replay system had not worked especially satisfactorily or at least quickly, but I'd have to disagree on that one.

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 12, 2017, 9:23 AM

Post #5 of 8 (4110 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] England U20,,,,, [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The commentator thought the video replay system had not worked especially satisfactorily or at least quickly, but I'd have to disagree on that one.

According to the commentator on BBC2 it was 38 seconds.

I don't need Google. I have a Hoddy.

windydcfc

Jun 13, 2017, 1:19 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #6 of 8 (3955 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] England U20,,,,, [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well done England U20's. First major international trophy since 1966. Can this team perform at a higher level, Well teams winning FIFA aged competitions tend to be a disappointment at full international level, even those players that make the grade at the higher level don't seem to live up to their potential. Maybe club coaches suck the life out pf these players and they end up not being able to break into their clubs first team on a regular basis and they lose that spark they had when they were younger.

There was mention that 6 of the squad could still play for other countries at senior level. I think they mentioned Nigeria & Ghana. They said that the lack of real progression for young players at the parent clubs. Mean that the players stagnate & get disillusioned with there situations. So when there parents countries come along with an offer of a World Cup place, they jump at the chance.

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

acmold

Jun 13, 2017, 5:47 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] England U20,,,,, [In reply to] Can't Post or

I did not see any of the games but someone said a number of Everton players were in the squad. One was on loan at Oxford United in 15/6, they have also signed two former U20 / U21 internationals from Everton on free transfers while another was on loan last season and scored a hatful of goals, that player has now been released by Everton. All three are sought after and two free transfers are rumoured to have had enquiries wihich amount to near seven ffigures. Surely Everton and other Premier clubs could give these players a few more games instead of mediocre imports who are probably on far more money. If just the odd one came through surely it would be worth it.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 13, 2017, 6:30 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #8 of 8 (3889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] England U20,,,,, [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

To be fair Everton can't be accused of not giving youth a chance this season, Davies and Holgate being prime examples while World Cup winner Cool Lookman and World Cup winning goal scorer CoolCool Calvert-Lewin also had a few run outs, Lookman in particular showing great promise.

U20 is a funny age group, some players standing on the verge of greatness but, for others, still not too late to lose their way completely.

Credit to England though, the younger age groups have been improving significantly in recent years. Still the big question mark whether they'll have it in them to flourish on the biggest stages. After generations of false hope I'm not holding my breath but it's refreshing that we actually have some lads who've won something meaningful coming through. Though that might be because we've finally started treating these tournaments seriously rather than something players are encouraged by their clubs to cry off from.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3