Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE

First page Previous page 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 98 Next page Last page  View All

Sale Holmfield
First Team Sub

Apr 23, 2017, 10:00 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #2201 of 2438 (8587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ladbrokes Challenge Cup 5th Round
Huddersfield Giants v Swinton Lions 24-28 (adm 15, prog 2, att 1292)

I didn't see this giant-killing coming, and , while I don't go to all that many Swinton away games, I was a bit tempted to duck this, thinking the home team just needed to turn up to win. A lot of Huddersfield supporters thought so too, judging by the size of the crowd and from what I overheard, but this was a fascinating game with the lead changing a couple of times during the match, and Swinton getting the winning try and conversion in stoppage time.I thought a deserved win, with both sides missing a few regular players.

Just the two sides stands were open today, but there was lots of room. I do like the John Smith's Stadium, apart from its sponsors, with its curved roofs set in woody hills, but just a short walk from the town centre.

Seagull
First Team Star

Apr 25, 2017, 4:36 PM

Post #2202 of 2438 (8405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Saturday 1st April 2017
Clock Face Miners 16 Gateshead Storm 18 (HT 16-10)
National Conference League, Division Three (level seven, kick-off 2.30pm)
Admission 2
Programme (w/a) 24pp: glossy, colourful, entirely game specific and one of the best issues I've seen from a NCL club
Attendance 185 (h/c)
Refreshments available in the clubhouse (didn't sample)

Party poopers Gateshead battled to a shock win as Clock Face's home debut in the NCL fell flat. The St Helens club put a lot of effort into the day only for the Tynesiders to overturn a six-point interval deficit by scoring eight unanswered second half points. Clock Face, held up over the line in the last minute of normal time, almost snatched victory at the death. Full credit to Gateshead, however. Storm improve season upon season, and 2017 promises to be their best since joining amateur rugby league's flagship competition. Not the most exciting game (a finicky referee's constant whistling disrupted the flow) but it was certainly absorbing.

Kick-off was preceded by an impeccably observed minute's silence in memory of locally-born Tony Barrow Jnr, who died recently after a long fight against a brain tumour. He was 45. Barrow's rugby league career included spells with Oldham and Swinton. He began as an amateur with the Thatto Heath club, Clock Face's neighbours.

I feared the worst (given Gateshead's recent history) when Clock Face crossed as early as the sixth minute for a try converted in front of the posts. But the visitors hit back with an unconverted 18th-minute try in the corner that owed everything to quick hands. Tries in the 23rd (a 75-metre solo stunner) and 30th minutes sent the hosts into a 16-4 lead. Four minutes before the break, Gateshead crossed again. The touch judges' flags went up to signal the conversion was good but the home players felt the ball had drifted wide. Little to choose between the teams during a tight second 40 minutes. A Storm prop, sensationally outpacing a clutch of pursuers, went over from 65 metres in the 58th minute. The conversion made it 16-16. The decisive blow, a 30-metre Gateshead penalty, was struck with 12 minutes of normal time remaining. I spotted in the crowd a couple of well-known rugby league personalities: 'Another Bloody Sunday' show stealer Geoff Fletcher, sporting a tan he didn't acquire in south-east Lancashire, and Aussie Dave Woods. Former Castleford Tigers, Gateshead Thunder, York City Knights and Whitehaven coach Woods, attending with his wife, now runs a pub in Clock Face.

Clock Face Miners ARLFC, formed in 1921 as Clock Face Rangers, play at 'The Rec'; more correctly, the Clock Face Miners Recreation Club. It is set amid bungalows (mostly), off the A569, Clock Face village's high street. There used to be three pits in the vicinity: Clock Face (closed 1966), Sutton Manor (closed 1991) and Parkside (closed 1992). Parkside was the last deep mine in the Lancashire coalfield. Perhaps the club should consider reverting to a 'Rangers' suffix? A two-storey brick clubhouse and a newer, single-storey dressing room block run down the middle of a rectangular site. The rugby pitch, with plenty of spare turf at the ends for warm-ups, is to the north; a football pitch (no furniture) to the south. On the latter, Burtonwood FC, I was told, were contesting a Warrington & District League fixture. There's free parking at both ends of the site. Officials were on hand at the east and west entrances to take a gate and hand out a special edition programme, a superb effort, compiled to commemorate Clock Face's step up to the 'big time'. The NCL gave the Clock Face club an extra month to ready their ground. It's why their season began with four away fixtures. There are permanent railings along the north and south touchlines. The latter barrier separates parking from pitch, so spectators stand on tarmac. No cover and no floodlights. A decent little set-up, as you'd expect in a rugby league-daft town such as St Helens.

Just Rylands Sharks remain for me to recomplete the NCL, and five more RL grounds will bring up 200 for the code.

Saturday 22nd April 2017
NCL3
Clock Face Miners 58 Elland 1
Att: 120 (h/c)
Admission 2 by programme
Prog: 20pp, glossy cover, maybe scaled back somewhat from FL's visit but still excellent for this level.

Only posting this to confirm that Clock Face look to be regular issuers, but rather than having someone collecting the gate at both ends of the ground the programmes were only available from the steps in front of the clubhouse. Otherwise little to add to FL's posting.

The game was a non event as bottom of the table Elland only put up token resistance whilst CFM ran in 12 tries. The final act being the drop goal for the visitors with the last play of the game to avoid being nilled.

kirby knitters
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 27, 2017, 9:57 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2203 of 2438 (8225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Heading to Sale on 14/1/17 for
Ladbrokes Challenge Cup 6th Round.

Swinton Lions v Wigan Warriors.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Sub

Apr 27, 2017, 10:05 AM

Post #2204 of 2438 (8217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I will be there too. Warning that is all ticket with a capacity of 3000. Sure it was higher in the days of Sale Sharks.

kirby knitters

Apr 27, 2017, 10:15 AM

Post #2205 of 2438 (8210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Capacity was 5,400 last season apparently.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Apr 27, 2017, 1:54 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #2206 of 2438 (8162 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

You mean 14th May not January otherwise you'll be late for the kick-off?

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Apr 27, 2017, 2:38 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #2207 of 2438 (8148 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I will be there too. Warning that is all ticket with a capacity of 3000. Sure it was higher in the days of Sale Sharks.

Given the state of Heywood Road, 3,000 seems a bit generous! I wonder when the ground, for a match in either code, last witnessed a four-figure attendance?

Before turning my attention to cricket, I'll mop up the National Conference League on Saturday (29/4) with a visit to Rylands for the Warrington team's Third Division game against Waterhead. I recall some posters discovering Rylands failed to issue on at least one occasion last season. The club secretary has confirmed there'll be a programme (50p) this weekend.

Sporting (and other) images at https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/Venue Totals:
Football 874; Rugby Union 229; Rugby League 203; Cricket 86; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 24; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Apr 27, 2017, 2:41 PM)

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Apr 27, 2017, 3:42 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #2208 of 2438 (8126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Given the state of Heywood Road, 3,000 seems a bit generous! I wonder when the ground, for a match in either code, last witnessed a four-figure attendance?

Before turning my attention to cricket, I'll mop up the National Conference League on Saturday (29/4) with a visit to Rylands for the Warrington team's Third Division game against Waterhead. I recall some posters discovering Rylands failed to issue on at least one occasion last season. The club secretary has confirmed there'll be a programme (50p) this weekend.

There was 1,413 in attendance when Leigh visited Heywood Road last year, 1,193 when Bradford visited this year (and probably something similar in 2016) and 1,375 when Hull KR played there a few weeks back.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Sub

Apr 27, 2017, 9:48 PM

Post #2209 of 2438 (8033 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

There was 1,413 in attendance when Leigh visited Heywood Road last year, 1,193 when Bradford visited this year (and probably something similar in 2016) and 1,375 when Hull KR played there a few weeks back.

They are Swinton's three biggest crowds at Heywood Road, I think. They only moved into the ground in the course of last season and the Bradford home game had already been played while they were hiring grounds on an ad hoc basis.

I was at all 3 games and the Hull KR game felt like the biggest crowd, but that may have been because I was not in my usual position and looking at the covered terrace, which seemed very busy, from outside. There was plenty of space in the main stand, so the 3000 capacity seems reasonable to me, even considering the lack of crush barriers and so on.

PS I have got my ticket and it's nice to see that Swinton have maintained their usual prices, although I suspect the normal offer of cheap admission for Wigan season ticket holders, as the two clubs have one of those dual registration agreements, may be suspended!

kirby knitters

Apr 28, 2017, 9:53 AM

Post #2210 of 2438 (7940 views)
Shortcut

Just got my ticket through Swinton as there would have been no chance of getting one from Wigan and I reckon loads of Warriors fans will go down the same route to get them. Lovely to only have been charged 50p shipping cost on top of the very fair 17 match fee.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Apr 29, 2017, 7:09 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #2211 of 2438 (7798 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 29th April 2017
Rylands Sharks 64 Waterhead Warriors 18 (HT 34-6)
National Conference League, Division Three (level seven, 2.30pm kick-off)
Admission 2
Programme 50p (16pp, plenty left over at the end)
Attendance 170 (h/c)
Refreshments available (didn't sample)

For five minutes, a shock looked on the cards. Leaders Rylands, owing partly to avoidable errors, struggled to get out of their 25 and trailed 6-0. But the hosts hit back strongly. Good all-round rugby league - strong-running forwards, elusive back play and a desire to move the ball wide and keep it alive - garnered six tries in the first half and five in the second. Ten of the tries were converted. Oldham-based Waterhead, who crossed once before the break and twice after, just about managed to avoid complete embarrassment. I'm not sure from whom the challenge to Rylands' title charge will come. They are now three points clear.

The match didn't lack tetchy moments, down at least partly to suggestions a Waterhead player spat at an opponent in either the build-up to, or execution of, an early Rylands try. Tempers boiled over five minutes after the restart. Punches were thrown. The referee, who performed well throughout, sin-binned a player from each team and showed a red card to a Rylands forward who, having been replaced, came back onto the pitch to get involved in the fracas.

Sharks play at the Rylands Recreation Club, former works ground of Rylands Bros., defunct wire manufacturers. An old-timer playing bowls told me: "They used to say if you don't work at Rylands, you don't live in Warrington." It's an impressive venue, not unlike the Pilkington set-up in St Helens. The clubs using the facilities are all independent. They include Rylands FC, of the Cheshire League Premier Division. Both amateur rugby league and football clubs have ambitious plans to develop the site, particularly now Rylands Cricket Club have packed up, releasing a fair chunk of land.

I was told there is talk of the two clubs constructing a "stadium" to share. Part of the site was sold about a decade ago to a property developer. A nursing home now stands on what was the amateur rugby league club's ground, which has since been relocated to the far side of a mock Tudor pavilion that dominates the venue. The present RL ground, though fully enclosed, is short on space for spectators and has a pitch very much on the small side. There's neither hardstanding nor permanent barriers. Rope suffices. The far (east) end is out of bounds. There simply isn't room for the public.

As part of a three-year naming rights agreement with a car dealership, the ground is known as Arnold Clark Park. Sharks would like to move to a much bigger pitch, with more space for spectators, that has been laid out on part of the old cricket square. I learned it needs considerable investment in drains before it could cope with the rigours of a full season of NCL action. The present pitch would become a 4G training area. The eye-catching two-storey pavilion, a little gloomy inside, I have to say, costs a lot of maintain and the RL dressing rooms aren't the plushest. The hope is to apply successfully for grant assistance. I gather Wayne Rooney's agent, Paul Stretford, a former Rylands FC player, has improved the football facilities recently and harbours ambitions of climbing the pyramid. The Football League is Stretford's reported target. About as likely as Sharks reaching Super League?

This was about as one-sided a game as I expected but, having completed the present batch of NCL clubs, I can now devote the bulk of the summer to cricket. Good to bump into, albeit only after the final whistle, Seagull and his Blackpool-based pal Paul Baker.

Sporting (and other) images at https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/Venue Totals:
Football 874; Rugby Union 229; Rugby League 203; Cricket 86; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 24; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Apr 29, 2017, 10:37 PM)

Chelsea Spud
Youth Team Sub

May 4, 2017, 9:21 AM

Team(s): Chelsea

Post #2212 of 2438 (6295 views)
Shortcut

Going to Whitehaven v Newcastle Thunder

Sale Holmfield
First Team Sub

May 6, 2017, 1:12 PM

Post #2213 of 2438 (6007 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Just got my ticket through Swinton as there would have been no chance of getting one from Wigan and I reckon loads of Warriors fans will go down the same route to get them. Lovely to only have been charged 50p shipping cost on top of the very fair 17 match fee.

Warning. Although there is nothing on the internet, I have seen a poster on the Metrolink today that it's a replacement bus service between Altrincham and Manchester that Sunday.

Also, tickets are still available and are on sale tomorrow in pubs near the ground such as the Brook and Brooklands Tap prior to the Toulouse game, so I could have saved myself 50p!

kirby knitters

May 6, 2017, 11:16 PM

Post #2214 of 2438 (5928 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Warning. Although there is nothing on the internet, I have seen a poster on the Metrolink today that it's a replacement bus service between Altrincham and Manchester that Sunday.

Also, tickets are still available and are on sale tomorrow in pubs near the ground such as the Brook and Brooklands Tap prior to the Toulouse game, so I could have saved myself 50p!

Thanks for that one, it's not being advertised anywhere that i've seen but into Man Picc at 13.20 so no worries. Tickets? Wigan still have them on sale!

IAN S
First Team Star

May 13, 2017, 6:58 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #2215 of 2438 (5309 views)
Shortcut

Hunslet Club Parkside 30 Underbank Rangers 20
National Conference 1
h/t 18-10
admission & programme 2

This was billed as the game of the day in the Conference and it didn't disappoint. Three quick tries at the start of the second half ultimately decided it and gave Rangers their first defeat of the season.

Ground now as a bright new pitch barrier since my last visit in Feb. 2012.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

Mike S
Reserve Team Sub

May 13, 2017, 7:55 PM

Post #2216 of 2438 (5301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Forest Bulldogs 56 Glos Warriors 16
Venue Bream RU attenadence 30
West of England division

Bream is a small former industrial town in the Forest of Dean Justin under three miles steeply uphill from Lydney with no real points of interest but as always in this area nice views

Bream RU play in Local Gloucestershire leagues and is a two pitch set up, with the second pitch sloping steeper from side to side than any I have been on. The main pitch is however level and flat with rails down each side.

Forest Bulldogs are in their third season, Glos Warriors have existed for about twenty. The game was a low standard, certainly for ball
handling despite perfect weather conditions for league

Despite the standard enjoyable day out, assisted with a couple of churches found to be open and seeing a steam train at Parkend

ciderjon
First Team Star

May 14, 2017, 9:18 PM

Team(s): Bristol Sonics RL

Post #2217 of 2438 (5165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bath 46 Bristol Sonics 36

West of England Lge Pool 2
Admit: free prog: 2
Attn 30
Pint of Mole's Best 3.40

Chris Chatten's new project has arrived fully fledged, and looking well drilled.

Sonics were their usual early season lackadaisical selves. Too many errors but will be competitive in this pool when they settle down.
Always a pleasure to meet up with other Sonics ultras, today saw a,select group of ex-chairman Phil, Roger Y, Barrow Greg and Matt. So much to yack about,as we hadn't met since the end of last summer.

Bath are playing out of Chippenham RU, which is pretty undeveloped for quite a senior club. The main pitch is railed off, with infill of advertisement boards topped with a form of plastic shelving to put your pint on. I had to try this out, as Melksham-brewed Mole's Best was on offer.The only cover is the steps to the bar, otherwise nothing to report other than training floods.

Referee: Melvin Betteridge, a solid performance from him, both teams very well behaved gave him an quiet game.

Last new B road: A lovely early morning in Ayrshire B-roading allowed me to complete the upgraded Dalry - Saltcoats road

kirby knitters

May 14, 2017, 9:47 PM

Post #2218 of 2438 (5143 views)
Shortcut

Challenge Cup Round 6.

Swinton Lions 12 Wigan Warriors 42.

Add 17
Prog 3
Att ??
Carlsberg 3.15 (or 4 out of lager tent)

A simple enough train run jo Man Picc then as warned on here a rail replacement to Brooklands as the trams were out of action, breaking down tickets cost me 41.60.

I had no idea what to expect of the old Sale RU ground but liked the place and the whole day was handled very well by all concerned. The game went very much as expected with Warriors crossing three times before the break and a further four times after. Would have loved a trip to Fev in the Q/F but it's Wire away!

The ground situation at Swinton.. They rent an RU venue from Sale Sharks while Sale Sharks are renting from RL club Salford Red Devils?

Sale Holmfield
First Team Sub

May 14, 2017, 11:56 PM

Post #2219 of 2438 (5096 views)
Shortcut

Glad you enjoyed it at Sale.I saw the crowd given as 2003 which seemed reasonably accurate as there was plenty of space, although some of the gangways were packed and there was a long wait for the players to leave the field at the end when the "tunnel" (a few stewards) blocks passage to the other side of the ground.

A comfortable enough win for Wigan, but Swinton acquitted themselves very well. An American football quarterback would have been proud of some of Wigan's passes, although, predictably, the referee did not judge them as forward!

I am never quite sure of the ownership of Heywood Road as Sale FC, the members' club, were split off from the professional Sale Sharks club a few years ago. That supposedly caught out someone I knew as he was given a life membership, but found that he still had to buy match tickets.

onion_bag
Reserve Team Regular

May 16, 2017, 12:08 AM

Post #2220 of 2438 (4927 views)
Shortcut
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National Conference Rugby League - Division 3
Clock Face Miners 34 - Stanningley 18
Programme & Entry ?2

Clock Face were 'right up' for this fixture and it showed as they came out flying and were in full control throughout . Within 7 minutes they were already 12-0 up and 'ticking' along nicely. HT 26-6
2nd Half both defences were on top until Clock Face scored an 8pt try to secure the victory. Then it became feisty with a few stops for handbags as Stanningley showed their frustration. Once again after knocking 7 bells out of each other it was hugs and handshakes at full time.

Enjoyable day out a club on the up curve.

View photos from Clock Face Miners

http://onion-bag.blogspot.co.uk//
http://rugbyleaguegrounds.blogspot.co.uk/

Roger D
Youth Team Sub

May 16, 2017, 7:08 AM

Team(s): Oxford RL

Post #2221 of 2438 (4881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onion_bag] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just a quick heads up incase it impacts anyone, South Wales v Oxford is now on Saturday 20th at 3.00 and NOT Sunday.

bmavfc
Youth Team Star

May 16, 2017, 10:03 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa, Hull kr,carmarthen town,solihull moors

Post #2222 of 2438 (4747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Roger D] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I rugby double is possible then,as Neath are at home to Newport 7.30ko. Tier 2 final.

In Reply To
Just a quick heads up incase it impacts anyone, South Wales v Oxford is now on Saturday 20th at 3.00 and NOT Sunday.

Seagull
First Team Star

May 19, 2017, 12:40 PM

Post #2223 of 2438 (4480 views)
Shortcut

Sat 13th May 2017
Cumbrian Shield (level 2 cup in the Cumbria Competition)
Broughton Red Rose 30 Flimby 28
Att: 120 (h/c)
Admission: collection box taken round at half time, no prog (none expected!)

As good a game as we could have got for this level, with the lead regularly changing hands and many good tries scored by both sides on a beautiful day for RL. Plenty of endeavour, some moments of brilliance, the odd one of high farce and occasional handbags, plus plenty of gallows humour from the sidelines, real grassroots RL. Nice to see two sides in something like "proper" RL kits as well (rather than an explosion in a paint factory), Broughton in green and red hoops, green shorts and Flimby in smart white shirts and a red & green "V" and red shorts. Very tidy.

The ground is possibly rather better than you might expect at this level (the lower of the two Cumberland Summer Divisions). It is fully enclosed on the Eastern edge of the village of Great Broughton, just to the West of Cockermouth and 2-3 minutes off the A66.

There is a reasonable size car park inside the ground but this was full with many double parked when we arrived at 2-20 (2.30 KO) and had to park on the country lane outside (rather tight to say the least). The pitch is alongside and has a pronounced slope uphill to the North from the halfway line which steepens dramatically near the try line at that end. It is railed with brick dugouts on the car park side. At the far (North) end of this side are the dressing rooms, with a tea bar in one end (cold snacks, teas, pop and canned beer) and an overhang that would provide cover for 20-30 on a damp day.

The views on a crystal clear day were absolutely sublime, especially from the Northern end of the pitch looking back towards the fells.

It was all capped off with a visit to the picturesque village of Allonby on the Solway coast (between Maryport and Silloth) for an ice cream, a glass of wine and a stroll on the beach before heading home. Not far off a perfect day out.

(This post was edited by Seagull on May 19, 2017, 12:49 PM)

onion_bag
Reserve Team Regular

May 20, 2017, 2:02 AM

Post #2224 of 2438 (4362 views)
Shortcut
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yorkshire Mens Div 3
Ossett Trinity 30 Crigglestone 20

atten c80
entry: by donation

On a rare Thursday evening fixture this was a fantastic feisty local derby. Both sides gave it a right go with plenty of crunching tackles all over the pitch.
Early doors Trinity raced in to a 10-0 lead and it looked bleak for Crigg. But fair play they bounced back and even took the lead. But then Trinity found a second wind and got their noses in front in a ding dong encounter.

Ossett Trinity play at the Recreation Park in the town centre , not far from Ossett Town football ground. The ground is open,well maintained with a busy clubhouse and was a pleasant place to spend a spring evening just outside the Rhubard Triangle.

onion_bag
Reserve Team Regular

May 20, 2017, 10:17 PM

Post #2225 of 2438 (4230 views)
Shortcut

National Conference League
Lock Lane 24 Featherstone Lions 10

entry 2.50
atten c300

Situated around the corner from Cas Tigers, lies Lock Lane who are based at the leisure centre. The pitch is directly behind it.
Very feisty local derby in damp conditions in front of a bumper crowd, red cards, non stop crunching tackles, made this a most enjoyable encounter and is what amateur rugby league is all about. The game was closer than the score implies and was certainly not an occasion for the meek or the one legged.

I got the impression that these teams were not fond of each other as they knocked seven bells out of each other, hardly suprising considering they are under 5 miles apart smack bang in the middle of the rugby league strongholds of West Yorkshire.

First page Previous page 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 98 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3