Annual Pre-Season Tournaments

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

May 19, 2017, 5:52 PM

Post #1 of 26 (2662 views)
Shortcut
Annual Pre-Season Tournaments Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the Pre-Season Fiendlies thread.

Which tournaments/cups are played for annually by clubs in non-league during pre-season?

I know that Calne Town and Chippenham Town play for the Fred Rutty Trophy, and I've seen the Alan Spiller memorial trophy mentioned on the Pre Season thread as well.

I'm sure there's lots more, so if anybody knows of them(or has a definitve list) could they please post below.

GRIFFON
First Team Sub

May 19, 2017, 6:15 PM

Post #2 of 26 (2631 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There you go, a new one this season, at Nuneaton Town which for the two days will cost 40!!!!!!!!!!!Not for me I'm afraid, probably only the youngsters.

SATURDAY, JULY 29TH 11.00am NUNEATON TOWN v WOLVES XI
SATURDAY, JULY 29TH 2.30pm COVENTRY CITY v LIVERPOOL XI
SATURDAY, JULY 29TH 5.45pm GLASGOW RANGERS XI v PSV EINDHOVEN JONG
SUNDAY, JULY 30TH 11.00am WOLVES XI v GLASGOW RANGERS XI
SUNDAY, JULY 30th 2.30pm LIVERPOOL XI v PSV EINDHOVEN JONG
SUNDAY, JULY 30TH 5.45pm NUNEATON TOWN v COVENTRY CITY

steve walker
Administrator

May 19, 2017, 7:28 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 26 (2529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surely this is better placed in the pre-season friendlies section? Just list the games as per the usual format. I won't lock it in case the whole point of the thread is to provide info on actual pre-season tournaments rather than just normal friendlies. Not that there is a whole lot of difference but I'm assuming the OP means that there is a Trophy at the end of it?

(This post was edited by steve walker on May 19, 2017, 7:33 PM)

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

May 19, 2017, 8:48 PM

Post #4 of 26 (2416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Your call Steve.

I was hoping to compile a list of the annual pre-season cup/tournaments which are played for annually.

Such as Calne Town will always play Chippenham Town in pre-season for the Fred Rutty Trophy etc.

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

May 19, 2017, 11:25 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC

Post #5 of 26 (2275 views)
Shortcut

The Worcestershire Senior Cup is now played as a pre-season tournament but over the course of a week, rather than a weekend, and not all at one ground.

This season's competition appears to have been drawn but may need re-drawing. Evesham v Worcester is one of the Semi-Finals (per Evesham Twitter) but Worcester are now ineligible after "relegation" to Step 5, whilst Alvechurch have become eligible since the draw was made, having been promoted to Step 4!

Geoff
Reserve Team Star

May 19, 2017, 11:25 PM

Post #6 of 26 (2274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would like to have tournaments (particularly 4 team tournaments) listed separately from one off friendlies.
I tend to stick mainly to pre-season tournaments as these games do not (like most one-off friendlies) involve countless substitutions every few minutes (particularly in the second half)
Finding these games using the current pre-season friendly section involves trawling through the threads for each day which takes ages. A list showing just tournaments would make life much easier.

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

May 20, 2017, 8:57 AM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #7 of 26 (2108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geoff] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Things likes the Worcestershire Senior and Herts Charity cups can go in the cups section. Glorified friendlies (Nuneaton) go on the relevant thread in the PSF

grayskris
Junior Team Sub

May 20, 2017, 12:34 PM

Post #8 of 26 (2003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Grays Athletic and Tilbury compete annually for the Stan Veness Memorial Trophy, usually taking it in turns at hosting it every other year

bmavfc
Youth Team Star

May 20, 2017, 5:15 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa, Hull kr,carmarthen town,solihull moors

Post #9 of 26 (1830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grayskris] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Who's this year?

In Reply To
Grays Athletic and Tilbury compete annually for the Stan Veness Memorial Trophy, usually taking it in turns at hosting it every other year

davidjay
Reserve Team Sub

May 20, 2017, 5:36 PM

Post #10 of 26 (1803 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AnotherGlassboy] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The Worcestershire Senior Cup is now played as a pre-season tournament but over the course of a week, rather than a weekend, and not all at one ground.

This season's competition appears to have been drawn but may need re-drawing. Evesham v Worcester is one of the Semi-Finals (per Evesham Twitter) but Worcester are now ineligible after "relegation" to Step 5, whilst Alvechurch have become eligible since the draw was made, having been promoted to Step 4!

And I believe Stour won't be entering. Dave the Glassboy will be pleased.

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

May 20, 2017, 8:09 PM

Post #11 of 26 (1726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davidjay] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No, we haven't entered. It mucks about pre-season. With five teams involved tit needs one "quarter final, and if you lose that (as we have done the past two years) you're potentially left without a game for a couple of weeks at a crucial time. At least the losing semi-finalists can play a "third place play-off" on the day of the final.

With Worcester dropping to Step 5 the WSC might only have had three entrants this year - Kiddy (Reserves/Youth), Redditch and Evesham. At least Alvechurch's promotion means four teams in it.

davidjay
Reserve Team Sub

May 20, 2017, 10:22 PM

Post #12 of 26 (1607 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AnotherGlassboy] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can never understand why step five/six teams can't enter. Not having Worcester is daft, Lye, Bromsgrove and Alvechurch would get decent crowds, even Pershore and Stourport would have made it more interesting

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

May 21, 2017, 12:43 PM

Post #13 of 26 (1408 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davidjay] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I believe that Clanfield 85 have some kind of annual pre-season tournament at their ground as well?

GRIFFON
First Team Sub

May 21, 2017, 2:58 PM

Post #14 of 26 (1356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Every competition has to start at some point of time and this 'glorified' tournament may be start of an annual thing, you nor I do not know, but fair play to the person(s) who have tried something a bit different for their supporters. Not my club but I felt it worthy of advertising and putting down as a whole rather than itemising it all separately, lifes too short!Laugh

bmavfc
Youth Team Star

May 21, 2017, 3:09 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa, Hull kr,carmarthen town,solihull moors

Post #15 of 26 (1346 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nuneaton have announced its being sponsored by U.K. flooring direct and 40 for weekend ticket or 25 per day.

acmold

May 21, 2017, 4:47 PM

Post #16 of 26 (1303 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I believe that Clanfield 85 have some kind of annual pre-season tournament at their ground as well?

Jim Newman Trophy eight teams knock out basis all games at Clanfield.

While on the subject everyone's favourite the Faringdon Thursday Memorial Cup first two rounds every in early August.

Also the Enstone Charity Cup most games at Enstone.

Eat 10 a day, you know it makes sense.

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

May 22, 2017, 2:09 PM

Post #17 of 26 (1008 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I can never understand why step five/six teams can't enter. Not having Worcester is daft, Lye, Bromsgrove and Alvechurch would get decent crowds, even Pershore and Stourport would have made it more interesting

Inclined to agree Dave. As it is, a four term competition seems almost pointless. Kiddy put the reserves/youth in and make no pretence of it being a "first team" competition, and the other teams treat it as a squad thing - not that that makes it any different from any other County Cup these days.

Being played pre-season was worth a shot but does nothing to enhance it in reality.

At least the presence of "smaller" clubs would add variety and interest.

The difficulty I suspect is that the Urn (for Steps 5 and below) still has some prestige for those clubs and they would rather enter that and play for a Trophy than be tempted by the possibility of playing Kiddy "stiffs" at an empty Aggborough.

(This post was edited by AnotherGlassboy on May 22, 2017, 2:12 PM)

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Regular

May 22, 2017, 6:25 PM

Post #18 of 26 (879 views)
Shortcut

The Fry Club Cup goes on for three weeks at Fry Club in Keynsham every night with the final normally on a Sunday morning which this year may well be the day after the opener of the FA Cup.
Always taken seriously and with three officials I refereed on it back in the 80s and still have the trophies.
Well worth checking out as there is a website now.

garethwrexy

May 22, 2017, 7:13 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #19 of 26 (846 views)
Shortcut

I wish they would bring back the isle of Mann tournament Wrexham used to play in

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

May 22, 2017, 7:15 PM

Post #20 of 26 (845 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Blackpool played in that tournament in the 2000s as well, if I remember correctly.

We also had an affiliation with a team on the Isle Of Man as well.

garethwrexy

May 23, 2017, 9:09 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #21 of 26 (585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Think beat Wrexham in final 1 year

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

May 23, 2017, 9:41 PM

Post #22 of 26 (563 views)
Shortcut

Clymping have a two day tournament on 15th and 16th of July.

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Regular

May 24, 2017, 12:37 PM

Post #23 of 26 (366 views)
Shortcut

At long last Gareth posted something which made sense and I agreed with. The Isle of Man tournament was wonderful and I went at least four times.
Down here the Chard Hospital Cup is well worth a look although by the time it starts most leagues are already underway.

Veteran

May 24, 2017, 1:26 PM

Team(s): A. B. U.

Post #24 of 26 (333 views)
Shortcut

Khalsa Tournaments go right through from next Saturday. Technically they probably belong in "Summer leagues in the UK" which is where i have posted fuller details.

Stop the B teams in the League proposal.

jrev61

May 24, 2017, 5:04 PM

Team(s): None

Post #25 of 26 (190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Annual Pre-Season Tournaments [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Khalsa Tournaments go right through from next Saturday. Technically they probably belong in "Summer leagues in the UK" which is where i have posted fuller details.

Their website leaves a lot to be desired.
For instance is the 10th June tournament at Barking or Leicester? Where is the late July tournament?
When you click on the draw for the next tournament, you get the results from last season's tournament.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3