Peterborough United reserves 1972-73

NeilH
Youth Team Regular

May 19, 2017, 11:10 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #1 of 8 (2132 views)
Shortcut
Peterborough United reserves 1972-73 Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm trying to find the date that Posh reserves played Histon during the 72-73 season in the Eastern Counties League at London Road, which ended 2-0 to Posh. I have trawled through the Cambridge Evening News for all Histon games from this season and this is the only one I cannot trace. Can anyone help?

krffji
Youth Team Regular

May 21, 2017, 8:15 PM

Team(s): Colchester United

Post #2 of 8 (1997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Peterborough United reserves 1972-73 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Neil, have you got any clues as to when it might have been played?

Currently researching Colchester's amateur town clubs "Before the U's" including identifying and compiling brief biogs of all first team players.
Joint author of Colchester United's Who's Who -(Breedon Books 2008).
Colchester United youth team programme editor since 2001.
Colchester United Essex Senior Cup programme editor since 2008.

NeilH
Youth Team Regular

May 22, 2017, 8:04 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [krffji] Peterborough United reserves 1972-73 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi Kevin, nothing definite but some clues: I have a couple of Histon progs from this season, one from September and one from February. They list results and fixtures leaving gaps in October & November and post 10th March.

I was informed of the "uptheposh" website on Saturday, and that lists every game played by PU reserves with dates, apart from home games versus Histon & St Neots Town.

Using the Posh website I've noticed that Posh reserves didn't play 18th November and nor did Histon, so that needs another look next time at Cambridge library. I don't have any other blank Saturdays for Histon so if not the 18th November it must be midweek which could of course be any time of the season under the London Road lights.

Any help welcomed.

krffji
Youth Team Regular

May 22, 2017, 9:40 PM

Post #4 of 8 (1887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Peterborough United reserves 1972-73 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Peterborough v Colchester programme of 23/10 has it as the last Posh ECL fixture due to be played Sat 28 April. That of course could have changed during the season and I'll see if there are any clues in Green Uns.

Currently researching Colchester's amateur town clubs "Before the U's" including identifying and compiling brief biogs of all first team players.

krffji
Youth Team Regular

May 25, 2017, 11:44 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1661 views)
Shortcut
Re: [krffji] Peterborough United reserves 1972-73 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have now been through the Green Uns in conjunction with UpthePosh. Most Green Uns have an ECL league table.

What the following means is I can't give you the precise date but it must be late April, probably after 23/04, or early May and not 1 May when Peterborough played Sudbury and probably not 28 April when Peterborough likely played Haverhill.

Firstly UpthePosh has a wrong date. There weren't two games on 10 March. I reckon the Haverhill is the scheduled league fixture displaced by the League Cup semi final and they have simply repeated the LC score. The ECL history shows the Posh v Haverhill as 5-0.

Taking that out the Green Un league tables match UpthPosh right the way through to Game 35 (out of 40), the 2-1 defeat to Clacton on 14 April.

The last Green Un of the season was 28 April and has a table that reads for Posh P 36 W 17 D 4 L 15 F 82 A 50, which is an additional 1-0 defeat compared to the previous week.

That doesn't fit the Sudbury 2 Posh 1 shown as 23/04 on upthePosh and it wouldn't be surprising for the table to be as at last Saturday. The Sudbury notes refer to the game as last Sunday, so 22/04, and only describe one goal. I can't lay my hands on my copy of the Sudbury club history at the moment to cross check although the ECL history has it as 1-2. Possibly itwas just an error updating the table for the games immediately before copy deadline and the Sudbury is indeed game 36.

The Haverhill notes of 14/04 say they end their season on 28/04 at Peterborough. Neither club feature in a match report in the 28/04 Green Un so that's possible.

Nor do Histon or St Neots, the two fixtures missing from UpthePosh. The ECL history has them as 2-0 and 4-2 respectively so they don't fit the last table change.

One last thing is given the Sudbury game was switched to the Priory it's not impossible the Histon was also switched.

NeilH
Youth Team Regular

May 26, 2017, 8:46 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Thanks very much for your efforts, will get into Cambridge library sometime over the weekend to see what I can find.

I already have Histon playing 20th, 21st, 23rd, 25th, 28th April and 1st & 3rd of May so not many options to squeeze another game in!

NeilH
Youth Team Regular

May 27, 2017, 9:01 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Found it: Monday 30th April 1973. Just the result in the Cambridge Evening News, Histon 1 Peterborough United 2. No pre-match notes or match report.

The ECL book has 0-2 and this suggests another Posh game switched from London Road as had the other Histon v PU game at Histon but will double-check the venues and April result in due course.

The Sudbury v Peterborough games in the Sudbury history are:
23rd April PU 1 ST 2 at ST
2nd May ST 1 PU 0

NeilH
Youth Team Regular

Jul 11, 2017, 7:22 PM

Post #8 of 8 (720 views)
Shortcut

Have double-checked and the Cambridge Evening News had a short report I had missed previously. Keith Oakes gave Posh the lead, Mick Coxon equalised and David Gregory got the winner. Histon 1 Posh reserves 2 according to that report.

All results match those listed in the ECL book apart from the above result, giving a playing record of P40 W10 D7 L23 F49 A86, as per the ECL book apart from goals for which jump from 48 to 49, Mick Coxon's goal against Peterborough seemingly missing off the records at ECL HQ.

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3