Norway 12-17 May 2017

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

May 19, 2017, 10:38 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #1 of 1 (360 views)
Shortcut
Norway 12-17 May 2017 Can't Post or Reply Privately

As I didn't make a return visit last year due to moving house, I planned a long weekend over Norway's National Day when there are extra fixtures.

12/05/17 (1830) Ostfold D4, As 3(2)-(0)1 Trosvik, Att 50+1, Adm 50 NOK no programme

Inevitable basic Kunstgress complete with athletics track. Plenty of locals in deckchairs watching from a grass bank. Tea bar with Polse and Coffee etc.
Good game, which the home side totally dominated and should have won more comfortably, probably would have done if they hadn't had a man sent off early in the second half. Their 3rd goal, by Torgeson, was an amazing 40 yard drive that went in off the underside of the bar. The ground is less than 10 mins from the station and the station had a bar that remained open for me to have a drink whilst waiting for my train back to Oslo.

13/05/17 1600 Eliteserien Stabaek 0-0 Rosenborg, 200NOK, Free programme, Att 4940

Being a glory seeker I am a RBK fan, so made the stupid decision to turn down a lengthy double to watch this, which produced my first "dreaded" in Norway. In truth it was not a bad game and I am the first to bemoan lack of goals. Unexpectedly Stabaek dominated it and should have won, but their collection of African imports managed to fluff a lot of chances. When they didn't, the RBK goalie pulled off a couple of superb saves (one, late on, was outstanding). Rosenborg for such a wealthy side were very poor and didn't seem up for the fight. They made much of signing Niclas Bendtner but he looked off the pace and still hasn't got rid of his ability to shoot wildly over the bar when easier to hit the target. The ground is less than 10 mins from Bekkestua Tram and T bane stop. It was a revisit too, making more of a mockery of my decision to do it!

14/05/17 D2 Group 1 (1500) Asker 2(0)-(0)2 Baerum 200 NOK, Free programme, Att 250*

Plan A had been to watch Lyn play at the Bislett, but they were playing Stabaek Reserves and "Vikinghopper" Anders persuaded me to do this local derby instead (after the previous day I listened to him..), between adjacent towns. The first half was terrible, but the second was end to end with Baerum twice taking the lead only for Asker to equalise soon after. There was a proper derby atmosphere albeit it was all a bit OTT in terms of segregation (believe it or not) and stewarding (*the official attendance of 506 was quite a fudge unless it also included all the stewards..). The Baerum fans included one dressed in a wrestling outift who i reckoned was a Norwegian relative of "Grado"! This is a new ground built on a ledge above the old one, quite frankly its awful and certainly wouldn't get passed a step 6 grader here. The toilets were not really even in an area accessible to spectators and certainly not disabled ones! Again, its 5 mins walk from the station at Asker.

15/05/17 2015, D5 Ostfold Spydeberg IL 5(2)-(0)0 Drobak/Frogn F&N Att 43

Another one Anders found for me, right out in the sticks in the town Petter Solberg comes from (famous Rally Driver). Ground...a Kunstgress with a running track, albeit it was set in a bit of a natural bowl. Best game of the trip, as the home side were really good and played lovely football for the level. another one 5 mins from the station, and although along way from Oslo it was still possible to get back from this late kick off. In the unlikely event anyone else goes there, there is a bar at Fredericks Pizza for pre match drinks!

16/05/17 1800 D1 Fredrikstad 1(1)-(1)1 Jerv. 200NOK, Programme available, Att 3701

By far and away the highlight of the trip. A quite superb ground, built in what used to be one of the largest Docks in Scandinavia, and designed to blend in with its surroundings. The main stand was built to look like an Industrial building, and even has a barrell roof. Other stands had elements of other Stadia design in them, juxtaposed at the corners. It has proper floodlights too. The pitch is built above a car park so is raised above street level and you approach up stepped walkways. Pitch is grass and both ends have standing. Many of these decisions made with consultation with the fans. The whole thing, built in 2007 gives the impression it was 50 years older. If only all new grounds were like this...it harks back to original stadium design when they evolved out of the community and environment they were located in.
Sadly FFK are not well run. They have managed to lose about 9000 fans over the last 3 or 4 years and on the pitch you could see why. They took the lead but then lost it within 3 minutes to a hugely dubious penalty (the visiting forward didn't even ask for it!). There was a lot of huff and puff and no little effort, and in the second half they laid siege to the Jerv goal for a while, hitting the bar twice, but they had a woeful lack of quality and you could see why they continue to struggle. It does beg the question where the money from the attendances is being spent.
Fredrikstad is a fascinating place to visit in itself, and whilst the ground is 25 minutes walk from the station its central to the main city where a number of bars are located alongside the river. Free ferries connect the City to the old Town and its fortifications.

All in all a good trip despite me making a couple of errors in game selection and hotels. Very grateful to Anders who helped find the more obscure fixtures. Next time over there I think I will make a couple of visits to country areas rather than stay near Oslo.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3