Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Shock General Election Called

First page Previous page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 66 Next page Last page  View All

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 19, 2017, 3:59 PM

Post #851 of 1627 (2172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Blanc Mange] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
...the hostility towards people voting [Tory] is quite staggering verging on a lynch mob mentality.

Don't worry. It's just a certain element of the Left displaying its tolerance and understanding and its respect for diversity (of opinion). I suppose they have a point, though. After all, Tories eat babies and drown puppies for sport. Apparently.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 19, 2017, 4:28 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #852 of 1627 (2153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
...the hostility towards people voting [Tory] is quite staggering verging on a lynch mob mentality.

Don't worry. It's just a certain element of the Left displaying its tolerance and understanding and its respect for diversity (of opinion). I suppose they have a point, though. After all, Tories eat babies and drown puppies for sport. Apparently.

But they want to reintroduce hunting with hounds so there would be no need to drown puppies any more. Vote Tory to save all the cuddly puppies. Sod the foxes. Tongue

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 19, 2017, 4:58 PM

Post #853 of 1627 (2133 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just 29 minutes to flush one out!

EDIT (response to moderation):
Some of these TongueTongue should have been in my reply to Part-Timer in the spirit of his message which I did not consider to be at all provocative or insulting.

However, it was predictable (and that's why I wrote it) that my HUGELY tongue-in-cheek reference to puppies would draw the response that it did.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on May 19, 2017, 5:47 PM)

steve walker
Administrator

May 19, 2017, 5:15 PM

Team(s):

Post #854 of 1627 (2119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Blanc Mange] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I can imagine the Tory majority going higher due to many people being to scared to admit voting for them,if going by other forums iv'e frequented the hostility towards people voting for them is quite staggering verging on a lynch mob mentality.

Without knowing which forums you are referring to specifically I would imagine that the demographic is probably significantly younger than it is on here. I don't actually collect user demographics so I am basing that purely on the make up of crowds at lower league games as I observe them. Not exactly scientific but probably right.

As we know, younger people are far more likely to vote for Labour, Greens or 'Other' particularly 18-24 year olds Source: http://www.if.org.uk/...general-election.pdf

Regarding the polls it will be interesting to see them this time next week once the manifestos have been discussed and filtered through to the data that the pollsters collect. We do seem to be back to two party politics and Labour are too far behind to prevent a Conservative majority but it may not be as huge as expected when the election was called.

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

May 19, 2017, 5:20 PM

Team(s): Derby County, with a chunk of my heart still following Hucknall

Post #855 of 1627 (2108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Election junk mail has been in short supply so far - Nowt from Tory, Lib or Green and the
Labour party have only sent stuff addressed to the males in the house, nowt for the females.!!

Obviously Labour are not bothered about the female vote, and the others are not wasting money
competing against Maggie Beckett

Fanatic
First Team Star

May 19, 2017, 5:36 PM

Team(s):

Post #856 of 1627 (2088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [justAndy] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Manifestos are nice for ideas, but I think what parties actually do when they're in power is far more important (sometimes it's the complete opposite).

If people are still wavering on who to vote for (not that many people seem to be), then I highly recommend buying a couple of issues of Private Eye before the election (or even subscribing - it's stupendously good value at £30 a year). It's miles ahead of the rest of the media in terms of the quality of its coverage of politics and government and criminally little of what it reports going on behind the scenes seems to make it into the newspapers or TV news (although its section on the print media will give you an idea). What you read will almost certainly infuriate you!

Fanatic
First Team Star

May 19, 2017, 5:41 PM

Team(s):

Post #857 of 1627 (2081 views)
Shortcut
Re: [justAndy] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Election junk mail has been in short supply so far - Nowt from Tory, Lib or Green and the
Labour party have only sent stuff addressed to the males in the house, nowt for the females.!!

Obviously Labour are not bothered about the female vote, and the others are not wasting money

You might want to double check whether your female relatives are registered to vote as parties generally send out stuff to all people on the electoral roll. The system for registering has changed recently and quite a few people have been caught out by it (I think something like 800,000 people dropped off the roll?)

I don't think I've had a single leaflet yet, although given the amount of elections we've had around here in the last few years, I'd be surprised if any of the local parties had any money left.

(This post was edited by Fanatic on May 19, 2017, 5:41 PM)

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

May 19, 2017, 5:44 PM

Post #858 of 1627 (2072 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

You might want to double check whether your female relatives are registered to vote as parties generally send out stuff to all people on the electoral roll. The system for registering has changed recently and quite a few people have been caught out by it (I think something like 800,000 people dropped off the roll?)

I don't think I've had a single leaflet yet, although given the amount of elections we've had around here in the last few years, I'd be surprised if any of the local parties had any money left.

Both registered, always are, got our polling cards last week- the wife has taken offence, step-daughter cannot be bothered to vote

(This post was edited by justAndy on May 19, 2017, 5:46 PM)

Blanc Mange
Youth Team Regular

May 19, 2017, 5:48 PM

Post #859 of 1627 (2064 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes especially the Rotten Boroughs section!!

steve walker
Administrator

May 19, 2017, 5:59 PM

Team(s):

Post #860 of 1627 (2055 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Absolutely! There are a great number of cynical old buggers on this forum judging from all the 'it will all end in tears' threads... and I include myself very firmly in that category.

I would have thought that Private Eye would be essential reading for all of us Mad

Fanatic
First Team Star

May 19, 2017, 6:11 PM

Team(s):

Post #861 of 1627 (2044 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Yes, working in local government, it's always the first bit I turn to.

One council I was working at was featured almost every fortnight for a while, and rightly so.

Another regular featurer (also less so of late( has been Cotswold District Council, and I don't understand how there has not been some kind of major investigation into what's gone on with their planning department.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

May 19, 2017, 7:37 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #862 of 1627 (2002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Latest poll of polls (using this to try and get a balanced view) has Labour closing in a bit, latest projection:

Conservative 389
Labour 176
SNP 51
NI 18
LD 12
PC 3
Green 1

Conservative majority of 128. Down from highs of c190.

The problem with "polls of polls"!s that they use historic data. In a General Election campaign the changes in public opinion are rapid.

The latest poll, showing a big leap in the Labour vote, shows the Tory lead down to 66 seats.

Now that the public can see for itself, beyond the distortions of the right wing media, that May is a complete dud and that Corbyn's campaign, by contrast, has been very effective, there must be a few worried people at Tory HQ.

Expect the Tory smear machine to move into top gear.

steve walker
Administrator

May 19, 2017, 7:56 PM

Team(s):

Post #863 of 1627 (1992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Latest poll of polls (using this to try and get a balanced view) has Labour closing in a bit, latest projection:

Conservative 389
Labour 176
SNP 51
NI 18
LD 12
PC 3
Green 1

The problem with "polls of polls"!s that they use historic data. In a General Election campaign the changes in public opinion are rapid.

The latest poll, showing a big leap in the Labour vote, shows the Tory lead down to 66 seats.

Now that the public can see for itself, beyond the distortions of the right wing media, that May is a complete dud and that Corbyn's campaign, by contrast, has been very effective, there must be a few worried people at Tory HQ.

Yes you are right... poll of polls will include polls that are a little behind the times in a fast changing situation. Can you link to the poll showing the Tory lead down to 66 seats as I find that hard to believe this early when the manifesto data for both parties is yet to filter through in any significant way to the pollsters.

windydcfc

May 19, 2017, 8:11 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #864 of 1627 (1979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Conservative 389
Labour 176
SNP 51
NI 18
LD 12
PC 3
Green 1

Yes you are right... poll of polls will include polls that are a little behind the times in a fast changing situation. Can you link to the poll showing the Tory lead down to 66 seats as I find that hard to believe this early when the manifesto data for both parties is yet to filter through in any significant way to the pollsters.

I'm expecting one of the lowest voter turnouts in modern history. Mainly due to working class apathy with what's on offer. The only saving grace that could happen for the Labour Party, is the there's very few marginals that the Tories can win. We could see the Tories extend there majorities in former Labour seats.

acmold

May 19, 2017, 8:14 PM

Post #865 of 1627 (1975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or

Thought Cotswold had merged a lot of it's procedures with West Oxfordshire in the last few years. Like South Oxfordshire and Vale of the White House also like Cherwell and South Northamptonshire.

PaulC

May 19, 2017, 8:39 PM

Post #866 of 1627 (1948 views)
Shortcut

EDITED: Please don't just post links without any comment.
This is a debating forum... so say what you think and then post the link to support what you are saying if you want to as a reference

(This post was edited by steve walker on May 19, 2017, 8:54 PM)

TempWorksCo
Reserve Team Sub

May 19, 2017, 8:58 PM

Team(s):

Post #867 of 1627 (1937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
This is a debating forum... so say what you think and then post the link to support what you are saying if you want to as a reference

It is an IF poll anyway...........

Grounds visited - A few
Wetherspoons visited - Not many
Ales tasted - Loads

PaulC

May 19, 2017, 9:53 PM

Post #868 of 1627 (1901 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

You asked me to link to the poll. That's precisely what I did. Lest there be any misunderstanding I quoted your request for a link in my reply.

In Reply To

Here is the link that you asked me for:

http://bit.ly/2pVVa8Q

(This post was edited by PaulC on May 19, 2017, 10:01 PM)

PaulC

May 19, 2017, 9:56 PM

Post #869 of 1627 (1898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TempWorksCo] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

It is an IF poll anyway...........

What's an IF poll?

jon b
First Team Star

May 19, 2017, 9:56 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #870 of 1627 (1896 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
This is a debating forum… so say what you think and then post the link to support what you are saying if you want to as a reference

You know, I think Paul may be able to oblige there Cool

jon b
First Team Star

May 19, 2017, 10:07 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #871 of 1627 (1881 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Manifestos are nice for ideas, but I think what parties actually do when they're in power is far more important (sometimes it's the complete opposite).

If people are still wavering on who to vote for (not that many people seem to be), then I highly recommend buying a couple of issues of Private Eye before the election (or even subscribing - it's stupendously good value at £30 a year). It's miles ahead of the rest of the media in terms of the quality of its coverage of politics and government and criminally little of what it reports going on behind the scenes seems to make it into the newspapers or TV news (although its section on the print media will give you an idea). What you read will almost certainly infuriate you!

The front cover of the latest issue made me laugh out loud, as did the cartoon of the two foxes reading the newspaper headline May to bring back fox hunting and one saying to the other "I'm still voting for her".

PaulC

May 20, 2017, 9:51 PM

Post #872 of 1627 (1704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yougov/Sunday Times. Theresa May Team lead halved in a week

Theresa May Team -5 44%
Labour +4 35%

Labour now ahead of Tories in London and on 39% in England.

Tory majority 46.

(This post was edited by PaulC on May 20, 2017, 9:59 PM)

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

May 20, 2017, 11:03 PM

Post #873 of 1627 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Labour getting votes back from UKIP, but not Tories, who stay steady at about 45%, Labour around 30%

In scotland, SNP have,40%, Tories on 28, and Labour a poor 3rd on 18

007Dale
First Team Sub

May 21, 2017, 7:22 AM

Post #874 of 1627 (1627 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Labour getting votes back from UKIP, but not Tories, who stay steady at about 45%, Labour around 30%

In scotland, SNP have,40%, Tories on 28, and Labour a poor 3rd on 18

The debacle of winter fuel payments for Scots, but not English & Welsh won't help down here.
No question that Labour have had a better week than Tories.
May might feel the need to debate Corbyn after all to remind everyone how she wipes the floor with him at PMQ's every week.

PaulC

May 21, 2017, 9:25 AM

Post #875 of 1627 (1608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
May might feel the need to debate Corbyn after all to remind everyone how she wipes the floor with him at PMQ's every week.

Wiped the floor by being unable to answer a single question.

You're having a larf.

First page Previous page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 66 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3