Vic Watson, West Ham United & England

NeilH
Youth Team Star

May 16, 2017, 9:44 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #1 of 3 (1375 views)
Shortcut
Vic Watson, West Ham United & England Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've been meaning to post this for ages, in case of interest to West Ham fans: Vic Watson was born in Girton just oustide of Cambridge and his connection locally was commemorated back in 2010 via a plaque on the pavilion at Girton Rec.

Vic played for Cambridge Town in the 1919-20 season from September 1919 through to January 1920 (28 goals in 19 games). It seems that he went to both Brotherhoods in Peterborough and then Wellingborough Town later in 1920 before signing for West Ham United for the 1920-21 season.

The rest is well recorded, Vic remains the all-time WHU leading goalscorer to date.

Upon leaving Southampton he returned to Cambridge Town FC. He played at Ipswich Town in the FA Cup 4Q game in November 1936 (IT 2 CT 1) and his only other first team appearance came at Milton Road on Christmas Day 1936 versus Newmarket Town in a friendly.

Vic then had a long association with Cambridge Town as a trainer well into the 1950's, living in Girton.

Vic was a guest of honour at the Cambridge City v West Ham United game when City opened their floodlights in February 1959.

NeilH
Youth Team Star

Oct 14, 2018, 8:09 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #2 of 3 (560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Vic Watson, West Ham United & England [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On a visit to Peterborough Library yesterday I was able to track down Vic Watson's appearances for Brotherhood's Works in the Northamptonshire Senior League (later the current UCL) in season 1919-1920.

4 games confirmed (February 1920) and then it seems he signed directly for West Ham United from Works, as according to the Peterborough press he played reserve team games for West Ham in early March (the report is dated 20th March).

Are there any West Ham experts on here that can confirm reserve team appearances for Vic Watson towards the end of the 1919-1920 season? I know he definitely played for a West Ham XI at Cambridge Town in late April 1920.

The other question is where do Wellingborough Town fit into the story? Wiki and West Ham's official site credit his signing as from Wellingborough Town but that seems to be unlikely/incorrect. Perhaps he played a few games for Wellingborough towards the end of the 1919-20 season after he signed for West Ham? Wellingborough were in the Northants Senior League alongside Brotherhoods that season.

Peterborough Sports in their prog claim Vic Watson as "without doubt the clubs most famous player" but also give Wellingborough credit as the next step to West Ham.

Long shot but if anyone can add to this story I would be grateful. I will be writing an article for the Cambridge City v Peterborough Sports prog in January on this topic and happy to share in the future.

Oldeagle
Junior Team Star

Oct 15, 2018, 11:15 PM

Post #3 of 3 (436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Vic Watson, West Ham United & England [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is entirely at a tangent but interesting all the same-from the late 1920s to 1939 Bedford Town had a player called Norman Watson. When he first got into the side his nickname was Vic. I suppose nowadays if you were an obscure footballer called Rooney you would inevitably be nicknamed Wayne......

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3