Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Obituaries and Remembrances:
Alan Willey (Bridgwater Town, Oxford United, Millwall)

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

May 5, 2017, 9:13 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3285 views)
Shortcut
Alan Willey (Bridgwater Town, Oxford United, Millwall) Can't Post or

Alan Willey signed for Oxford after impressing their manager Arthur Turner in a F.A. Cup tie.

He later played for Millwall where I believe he was very popular.

His son played local football in the Oxford area for many years in the O.S.L. and Hellenic.

I played in the same Sunday team as him many moons ago.

(This post was edited by John Treleven on May 5, 2017, 10:30 PM)

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member! / Moderator

May 5, 2017, 10:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 4 (3160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Alan Willey (Bridgwater Town, Oxford United, Millwall) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Alan Willey who died on Friday 28th April 2017 joined Oxford United from Bridgwater Town after impressing during an F.A. Cup tie in 1961.I must have had a good game because Arthur Turner came and asked me to join Oxford and I enjoyed five good years at the club before I left for Millwall. I really loved my time there," he told us when interviewed two years ago at his nursing home in York. My abiding memory is the two goals I scored playing against York at the Manor. We were 4-2 down at half time but we staged a great fight back and I scored two of the best goals of my career in that second half to make it 4-4 at the end."

Willey was the first subsitute to appear for United (on 18th September 1965, against Bristol Rovers) and was in the side that achieved United's current record Football League win, 7-0 against Barrow on 19th December 1964. His 48 goals for the club include four against Gravesend & Northfleet in the Southern League and a 13 minute hat trick against Mansfield in April 1963. He made 128 appearances for the club before leaving for Millwall in 1966.

chrisby
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 6, 2017, 9:39 AM

Team(s): Oxford City, Bridgwater Town.

Post #3 of 4 (3119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Alan Willey (Bridgwater Town, Oxford United, Millwall) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It was November 1960 that he played for Bridgwater at The Manor against Oxford and was spotted by Arthur Turner. Town had had a great run in the Cup, beating Cheltenham and Hereford, and it was the first long-distance away trip to follow The Robins that I'd been allowed to go on. Alan Willey, and the whole side, played really well (rose-tinted glasses?) on a wet day, and I think it needed a very late goal from Maurice Kyle(?) to snatch the win for the home side and secure a Third Round tie against Leicester City.
Town had several great cup runs in those days, and the next season took on Crystal Palace in R2.
It doesn't really seem all that long ago, but I've seen several obituaries of Town players from that era recently so I guess tempus really must fugit.!

South Mercian
Junior Team Star

May 9, 2017, 4:27 PM

Team(s): Tamworth, WBA

Post #4 of 4 (2930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisby] Alan Willey (Bridgwater Town, Oxford United, Millwall) [In reply to] Can't Post or

Alan Willey ended up playing non league football for Banbury United and Witney Town in the early 70's after his football league playing days were over.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3