Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Southampton A & B teams

Clump Inn FC
Ballboy/girl

Apr 15, 2017, 12:42 PM

Post #1 of 4 (527 views)
Shortcut
Southampton A & B teams Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anyone got any information on these teams who were the feeder sides for Southampton FC and played in Hampshire League 1-3 for many years

taylov
Junior Team Star

Apr 15, 2017, 2:44 PM

Team(s): Eastleigh; ex Malden Town, Kingstonian; Luton T ; Aldershot; Kings Langley

Post #2 of 4 (505 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Clump Inn FC] Southampton A & B teams [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have a few programmes featuring the Saints "A" team from the early 1980s but haven't seen anything published specifically about them.

I do recall that at a time when Eastleigh FC "attracted" as few as 25 spectators for Hampshire League One games at the Ten Acres ground, a game against Saints "A" team could see a crowd of over 4 times that.

In 1984/5 the Saints "A" side at Eastleigh on Wednesday 13 March was - Dean Beale, Ian Straw, Peter Carpenter, Chris Wilder, Mark Blake, Greg Llewellyn, Phil Parkinson, Chris Townsend, Stuart McManus, Craig Maskell, Robbie Carroll and Paul Johnson. The manager was Dave Merrington. Ten seasons later he was Saint's manager in the Premiership.

Newportonian
Junior Team Regular

Apr 18, 2017, 7:23 PM

Team(s): Newport IOW.

Post #3 of 4 (338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Clump Inn FC] Southampton A & B teams [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southampton 'A' first entered the Hampshire League in 1932/33 and with the exception of the WW2 years and from 1945 until 1947 they had a continued membership until the end of 1984/85 when the Wessex League came into being. They played mainly in Div.1 but also appeared in Div. 2 in 1956/7 and between 1970/71 and 1976/77.
Southampton 'B' first entered the Hampshire League in 1950/51 for a spell of five seasons and then re-appeared in 1964/65 for 3 seasons. All of those seasons were spent in one of the Division Three sections (East or West).

Rob North
First Team Star

Apr 21, 2017, 1:51 PM

Team(s): Didcot Town, Reading

Post #4 of 4 (190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [taylov] Southampton A & B teams [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In 1984/5 the Saints "A" side at Eastleigh on Wednesday 13 March was - Dean Beale, Ian Straw, Peter Carpenter, Chris Wilder, Mark Blake, Greg Llewellyn, Phil Parkinson, Chris Townsend, Stuart McManus, Craig Maskell, Robbie Carroll and Paul Johnson. The manager was Dave Merrington. Ten seasons later he was Saint's manager in the Premiership.

I thought I remembered that match and, looking at my records, sure enough I was there! Saints won 1-0 in front of a crowd of about 50 which included Mark Dennis.

Rob

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3