Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Shock General Election Called

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 64 Next page Last page  View All

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 20, 2017, 7:52 PM

Post #151 of 1591 (2673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Whilst this is good, it is simply correcting a backlog of chronic under investment from the late 80s onwards.

South Wales needs to catch up with the rest of the UK, but any serious plans to improve the area must be welcomed such as Aston Martin's investment and commitment to build new cars there.

Think there are a number of areas that are still suffering from under investment some of it dating back many, many years. The A34 is now getting work that was promised 20 / 30 years ago. And there is still talk of it being a motorway. As for leisure facilities they more or less don't exist around here these days.

PaulC

Apr 20, 2017, 7:58 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #152 of 1591 (2672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
15 scrap the grammar school plan

Disagree here - why should the clever kids from working class areas be denied the right to a good education. Comprehensives do not offer the same standard as Grammar schools, and I would not only introduce more Private and Grammar Schools I would also insist on the School Choice programme being made available to students in the UK.

But most studies done have shown that grammars don't benefit clever working class kids, they tend to be stuffed full of middle class kids. My Dad is from a part of the country that still has the grammar/secondary modern divide and not a single member of the family who stayed in that area has ever got into the grammar school and I think all of them left school at 16. On the other hand, almost all my cousins who live elsewhere and went to comprehensive schools ended up going to university.

Children should not be segregated at school age because of religion, gender, parental income or intelligence. We need to learn to get along with people from all backgrounds and separating ourselves from each other at a young age isn't a good idea, otherwise you grow up having little idea of how the other group lives.

Yes indeed, in authorities with grammar schools, the overall performance of working class children is poorer than in authorities will comprehensive schools only.

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 20, 2017, 8:11 PM

Post #153 of 1591 (2662 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

All well and good if you have children who are of similar minds, but what about those children who:

* Are already years ahead academically - why should they be held back?
* Are deemed as misfits and targets for bullies - why should they be told they have to fit in. Surely, they need an alternative to going to school to be abused?
* Have disabilities like autism - special needs classes do not always suit them
* Are not academic - why should they be bored and under stimulated day in and day out? Again, they should have an alternative.

The problem is that pupils are meant to fit the schools and not the other way around. The pupils are expected to conform and be part of the school, even if they don't feel part of it - just 'suck it up and shut up'.

I favour more variety for pupils - not every child is the same, and hey aren't we supposed to be a country which celebrates diversity? Surely that is some 'ism' that we expect children to all be educated in the same way?

007Dale
First Team Sub

Apr 20, 2017, 8:13 PM

Post #154 of 1591 (2660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ok, here is the 007Dale party manifesto for GE17:

1. Taxation;
- abolish VAT and replace with increased Income Tax, thus increasing the progressive taxation %.
- keep a much smaller scale 'Luxury Goods Tax' for high-end items, (cars, electronics etc) and 'health / environment taxes' such as cigarettes, alcohol & fuel.
- abolish Road Tax - the petrol tax can be adjusted to cover shortfall. Essentially we pay to park and drive today. Let's keep it simple and just pay to drive.
- abolish inheritance tax. You've paid tax once on your income, why pay it again?
- significant increase in Capital Gains Tax for people with second + homes - thus increasing housing stock for first time buyers.

2. Health:
- keep funding for the NHS at the same level, but increase funding for social care to ensure we stop bed blocking etc. Will automatically increase what the NHS can do for the same money.

3. Education:
- No grammar schools. system can be frigged by rich parents who will pay for private tuition to increase their kids chances of getting in.
- instead, full commitment for primary school classes to have no more than 30 children and at least one teacher plus teaching assistant (I.e 2 full time staff in class)
- Private schools added to the Luxury Goods Tax (see point 1)
- INCREASE university tuition fees in England up to £15k per year. But automatically 'loaned' by government and paid back as 1% tax for earnings over the national average wage - so long as you graduate, otherwise pay back on all income.

4. Foreign Affairs:
- Hard Brexit, if we can get tariff free access, great, otherwise we get on without it.
- No immigration targets. If we need 20k nurses, we let them in. But, no uncontrolled immigration.
- No commitment on International Aid. We pay what we can afford, when we can afford it.

5. Defence:
- maintain our commitment to NATO on 2% of spending.
- but, no replacement to Trident - let's face it, if there's a nuclear war it will be started and finished by the Americans.
- the above 2 things means we have more money for investing in our troops - better conditions, equipment and wages.

6. Culture, Media & Sport:
- Scrap the BBC licence fee
- No changes to impact on freedom of the press

7. Transport:
- Scrap HS2
- Scrap Heathrow T5
- If some private company will pay for it, build an airport in the Thames Estuary, keeping noise & pollution away from the population. But I'm not paying for it out of Government money.

8. Energy & Environment:
- scrap renewable subsidies, ban new wind farms from the countryside.
- Get some French / Chinese company to build us some more nuclear plants if we need it.

9. Constitutional Affairs:
- Change voting system to a proportional system.
- abolish the House of Lords. Replace with a 100 seat elected senate.
- Scotland can have Indyref 2 - but not in this Scottish Parliament. Wait until full Brexit is in place and allow the Scottish people to vote for SNP in full knowledge that it equals indyref2 in the next parliamentary term.

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 20, 2017, 8:19 PM

Post #155 of 1591 (2650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My manifesto:

Give the country to Branson/Digby Jones.

Isaac

Apr 20, 2017, 8:26 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #156 of 1591 (2640 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm working class and vote Tory

Some people on here think that there should be a law against that!Wink

Fanatic
First Team Star

Apr 20, 2017, 8:26 PM

Team(s):

Post #157 of 1591 (2640 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
All well and good if you have children who are of similar minds, but what about those children who:

* Are already years ahead academically - why should they be held back?
* Are deemed as misfits and targets for bullies - why should they be told they have to fit in. Surely, they need an alternative to going to school to be abused?
* Have disabilities like autism - special needs classes do not always suit them
* Are not academic - why should they be bored and under stimulated day in and day out? Again, they should have an alternative.

The problem is that pupils are meant to fit the schools and not the other way around. The pupils are expected to conform and be part of the school, even if they don't feel part of it - just 'suck it up and shut up'.

I favour more variety for pupils - not every child is the same, and hey aren't we supposed to be a country which celebrates diversity? Surely that is some 'ism' that we expect children to all be educated in the same way?

You don't need different schools to have variety. I had friends who weren't as academic so they focused on more practical subjects like PE and carpentry. Plus the whole concept of choice ignores rural areas where there is only enough kids for a single school.

I was a misfit who was bullied quite badly. It just made me determined to try and create a fairer world when I grew up (and still drives me).

Fanatic
First Team Star

Apr 20, 2017, 8:38 PM

Team(s):

Post #158 of 1591 (2637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
8. Energy & Environment:
- scrap renewable subsidies, ban new wind farms from the countryside.
- Get some French / Chinese company to build us some more nuclear plants if we need it.

Working in the energy sector, these are not good ideas. We are closing in on renewables becoming our main source of power and the past year has seen a few big milestones, e.g. first day since the 1880s with no coal generation and first afternoon where solar production is so high that demand on the grid is lower than in the middle of the night. At some points in the last month, renewables have been providing over 35% of power.

Subsidies have already been lowered several times and continuing with the small amount of subsidy for a short period of time will get us over the top of the hill, whereas withdrawing it now could kill the industry at a vital moment - it's already had enough shocks from government fiddling about with the feed-in tariff.

Onshore wind is one of the cheapest sources of renewable energy and whilst there are some very vocal NIMBYs, most people are in favour of them.

I am in favour of nuclear as a temporary source of low carbon power until we get to 100% renewable, but letting the Chinese build it is a very bad idea for national energy security. And I say this as someone with a Chinese partner.

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 20, 2017, 8:47 PM

Post #159 of 1591 (2624 views)
Shortcut

Even so, I would prefer to have a choice of schools to send my children to (if I had any), or to home school them which is becoming a popular alternative.

I would also favour a UK-wide implementation of Schools Choice as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_choice

With Schools Choice, the money follows the pupil and it gives the pupil access to a good education and also the choice of where he/she studies - at a Private School, a Public School or even at home. The current UK model is that the pupils are the revenue earner and that is all that matters.

Chris1963

Apr 20, 2017, 9:21 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #160 of 1591 (2603 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Ok, here is the 007Dale party manifesto for GE17:

7. Transport:

- Scrap Heathrow T5

Bit late for that - it was built several years ago!

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 20, 2017, 9:58 PM

Post #161 of 1591 (2585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not all my own ideas, but ones I believe in and would be part of my manifesto:

(Trigger warning for the uber left/liberals, you will not like this at all!)

NHS

Allow private hospitals to do certain operations where they can do it for a price less than the NHS

If you are being treated for something you have contributed towards yourself, i.e. smoking and you will not stop the act, you then have to pay for the treatment yourself. If you cannot pay and you have assets put a charge over them or take them.

If a person has nothing, make it a loan that is taken back through PAYE or benefits.

Stop any form of medical holiday makers, free lifesaving treatment only and then cash up front.

Get a computer system fit for purpose – its 2017, why is there so much paper around the NHS, consultants notes etc.?

Introduce on online system where patients can go to any hospital that performs an operation they need, including private where the price has been proven to be cheaper than the NHS.

1% extra on ALL UK personal and business taxes with the money going to the NHS.

Education

One education for all does not work although everyone needs the basics. Identify kids that have talent in certain areas and push their education in that direction.

Teach kids more about business, how many kids can read a balance sheet?

Let parents choose ANY school for their kid, pay the schools per kid. The better schools will get bigger and the bad ones will disappear.

Banks

Relax slightly the regulations they have been put under, but not the capitalisation side of it. The current rules are too restrictive; however, I am not suggesting for a moment it goes back to how it was before 2008.

Make the majority of all bonuses in shares and make the bankers keep the shares for a min of 5 years.

Welfare

Stop all tax credits, the UK Government is effectively subsidising the wages of millions of people, and hence subsidising the profits of many businesses.

On the dole: 6 months paid in cash, after that food and energy vouchers only. No SKY TV, fags or booze after 6 months.

On the sick/disabled: Make the tests more stringent for people receiving these benefits and give the money saved to genuine sick and disabled.

If you are from abroad and need welfare, go home and claim it there, you are not having it here – UNLESS you have paid into the system for 5 years.

Tax / Pensions

1% extra tax for NHS on personal and business.

First of all, everyone always thinks everyone else does not pay enough, and they pay more than their fair share.

Gradually abolish NI and introduce either the Australian (Superannuation) or the Singapore (CPF) schemes for retirement.

Bigger tax breaks for companies investing heavily in RND around STEM.

Avoidance – put a line in the sand today and say any deemed tax avoidance scheme from this point on will be looked at as Evasion in law.

If you continue to do it from today and the revenue subsequently decide it is avoidance, the revenue can go back until when you started using it and fine you twice the entire revenue involved.

For example, if you “washed” 100k and saved 20k tax, your fine would be 200k.

Treat all new avoidance schemes the same way.

Abolish the rates and bring in a local percentage tax on all earnings.

Ban the use of personal service companies to avoid tax

Immigration

Make it points and needs based, there should be no target on numbers providing the British worker is considered fairly first and we have a need.

Put min salary on all jobs that are being filled from abroad and a 10% extra levy to the company on the foreigner’s salary, with the exception of healthcare.

Transport

Abolish HS2 and HS3.

Invest the money into the existing infrastructure to bring it up to scratch BEFORE starting something new.

Legislate that all new cars purchased in 5 years must be a hybrid and within 10 years completely fossil fuel free.

Build another runway at LHR (starting today) and start building other runways at LGW and Stansted as soon as possible.

Consider a third in Manchester or a new airport to act as an overspill for Birmingham (Staverton, Gloucestershire?) and look at a 'Severnside' airport between Cardiff and Bristol.

Business

Stop all tax credits, the UK Gov is effectively subsidising the wages of millions of people, thus subsidising the profits of many a company.
Force businesses to at least pay the living wage.

Do not abolish zero hours’ contracts as they do benefit a lot of people. However, there must be a genuinely justifiable reason why you would use them.

Energy

Get on with fracking (monitor closely though) and build Nuclear – we HAVE to be energy independent - to some extent regardless of the costs.

Security

Allow the security services to tap any phone or read any email etc providing it is approved by a judge within 48hrs of it starting.

BREXIT

As God said in Monty Python 'Get on with it!'

Scotland

Let their parliament decide on another referendum but only after BREXIT has happened.

Defence

North Korea - If you don’t deal with it today, it will be worse tomorrow – if I lived in Seoul I think I would move!!

Trident – buy it, we have no choice.

Maintain the 2% spending in line with NATO obligations

America

Love, loathe or scared to death of Trump – we may as well be mates as in the end it is normally the pair of us that have to sort everything out.

Sport

Legislate that a percentage of all TV revenue is invested in the grass roots level in this country.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Apr 20, 2017, 10:28 PM

Team(s):

Post #162 of 1591 (2577 views)
Shortcut

The problem with some of those ideas is that they will push costs up.

For instance, the NHS outsourcing basic operations to the private sector actually makes it worse off financially. NHS hospitals get paid for doing those operations and because they're quite easy, the hospital makes a 'profit' on them, which it can then use to cross-subsidise the more expensive operations. The outsourcing of these basic operations is one of the reasons behind the ballooning deficits in many NHS trusts.

It's similar with schools. Letting parents move around like that would create chaos in the education system. Local authorities have to carefully plan the expected numbers in each school to ensure they have the right number of places, staff etc. If we had a system where anyone could go anywhere, all that planning would go out of the window, meaning overcapacity and higher costs; also many schools can't expand due to their space constraints (and those that do often end up losing playground or sports fields). I suspect this system would also still end up benefitting wealthier families as better schools would be oversubscribed and there would end up being some other way of selecting entrants which would probably end up being something that favoured the more well-off.

We wouldn't be energy independent if using nuclear; we'd have to import the uranium from somewhere and the power stations would inevitably be owned by foreign companies.

Agree with your rail and car policies though. I'd like to see HS2 scrapped and use the money to massively upgrade the mainlines - make them all four track to allow slow and fast trains to operate on the same route without causing blockages, as well as raising all bridges to accommodate double decker trains (my first job after uni was transport modelling and this was the single most effective solution to the transport problems in the south east).

It's probably too late to change electric vehicle policy now, but we should have gone down the battery replacement route rather than recharging - this would allow effectively unlimited range as you wouldn't have to keep stopping to recharge. Google Better Place (a failed attempt at this) if you're interested.

windydcfc

Apr 20, 2017, 10:58 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #163 of 1591 (2549 views)
Shortcut

The far left of the Labour Party have got there wishes as the number of Labour MP's standing down is increasing. Please please allow David Miliband & Ed Balls stand in a safe seat. So the party can start with some leadership after the imminent humiliating landslide defeat that we are facing.

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 20, 2017, 11:10 PM

Post #164 of 1591 (2544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Of course, people could vote against them and that will be hugely embarrassing!

Labour need to go back to the past, if they are to have a future. Ordinary people who want to make a positive difference in their community - why not elect them instead of those career Labour politicians who yearn for it to be 1997 all over again.

'Oh save us from the plebs, Saint Tony!'

jon b
First Team Star

Apr 20, 2017, 11:53 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #165 of 1591 (2524 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Ban the use of personal service companies to avoid tax

As someone who's been involved in trying to implement changes in relation to PSCs brought in by HMRC this April, I fervently, indeed desperately wish it was that easy.

I realised just how much it had turned into a complete nightmare when I found myself telling someone about IR35 Intermediaries Legislation whilst watching my team play recently. Frown

jon b
First Team Star

Apr 21, 2017, 6:00 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #166 of 1591 (2493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Doh, done it again Frown

windydcfc

Apr 21, 2017, 6:49 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #167 of 1591 (2487 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Of course, people could vote against them and that will be hugely embarrassing!

Labour need to go back to the past, if they are to have a future. Ordinary people who want to make a positive difference in their community - why not elect them instead of those career Labour politicians who yearn for it to be 1997 all over again.

'Oh save us from the plebs, Saint Tony!'

I'm not advocating the return of Tony Blair. Both Ed & David weren't at the top table of Blair's government(they were at the top table of Brown's). If the plebs leave us with 150 MP's then the radical change of direction has ultimately failed. Both JC & Ed Miliband became leader because of Unite & in particular Len McCluskey's support. So it's either be pig headed & carry on regardless, or go to one of the big hitters that have nationwide appeal.

(This post was edited by windydcfc on Apr 21, 2017, 7:08 AM)

007Dale
First Team Sub

Apr 21, 2017, 8:19 AM

Post #168 of 1591 (2467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The make-up of constituencies means the the middle class or aspiring middle class will not elect a party to Government with hard left policies - even if they'd be better off in the short-term with a hard-left government. They would aspire to earn more than they do today and won't want to jeopardise being much better off in the future.

As I've said before, Labour have two choices - stick to their hard left policies and accept they'll never be a party in Government OR go against their beliefs and move to the centre ground to increase the chances of election.

For me, I respect whatever the party decides (even if I can't vote for them in hard-left mode) BUT caution - Option 1 actually equals the country going more to the right as it leaves us without a viable option.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 21, 2017, 9:24 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #169 of 1591 (2442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The thing with manifesto's is that you get things you agree with and things you disagree with. When you vote for a political party at a general election there is nowhere on the ballot for form to express your opinions as to which policies you want that party to pursue and which policies you want them to drop.

The alternatives are having a referendum on every issue or getting yourself on the ballot paper. Otherwise you vote for the best / least bad candidate then the join the party which best matches your view and attempt to influence policy from the inside in time for the next election.

steveking
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 21, 2017, 11:59 AM

Team(s): Ware, Everton, Kingstonian, Leicester, Portsmouth

Post #170 of 1591 (2410 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
- abolish inheritance tax. You've paid tax once on your income, why pay it again?

Because you're not paying again, someone else is who is inheriting wealth they didn't earn. I pay tax on wealth I do earn so certainly ought to pay it on unearned income. I have never and will never inherit any money. Such as I have is all earned by me so I naturally feel others who do nicely on money that was gifted to them can hardly object to paying some of it back in taxes.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Apr 21, 2017, 12:08 PM

Team(s):

Post #171 of 1591 (2404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steveking] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Because you're not paying again, someone else is who is inheriting wealth they didn't earn. I pay tax on wealth I do earn so certainly ought to pay it on unearned income. I have never and will never inherit any money. Such as I have is all earned by me so I naturally feel others who do nicely on money that was gifted to them can hardly object to paying some of it back in taxes.

Quite. It's rather incongruous that people who are most vehemently against the 'something for nothing culture' often seem to be in very much in favour of maximising inheritance.

acmold

Apr 21, 2017, 12:19 PM

Post #172 of 1591 (2400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steveking] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or

Many people who pay inheritance tax only do so because the people giving / leaving property / assets / money have not keep their affairs in order or have not written their bequests correctly. Usually it is where a house and asset are only in one persons name when they are married / civil partnership. They then leave everything to their partner, then when partner dies those being left the assets have to pay inheritance tax if the amount is over the threshold.

A couple with children are best to have their home in joint name and then leave their half to their children but with a clause to say their parter retains the right to live in the house rent free for the rest of their life. This also means if a parter goes in care a charge can only go against their assets. If a parter goes into care and if the house is solely in their name a charge can go against the whole house.

TempWorksCo
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 21, 2017, 3:28 PM

Team(s):

Post #173 of 1591 (2340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steveking] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Because you're not paying again, someone else is who is inheriting wealth they didn't earn..

Why should my children pay tax on money i have chosen to leave to them?

Grounds visited - A few
Wetherspoons visited - Not many
Ales tasted - Loads

steveking
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 21, 2017, 3:40 PM

Team(s): Ware, Everton, Kingstonian, Leicester, Portsmouth

Post #174 of 1591 (2325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TempWorksCo] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Because you're not paying again, someone else is who is inheriting wealth they didn't earn..

Well I think my answer is already given in the line above. It's income, we get taxed on income. I would think unearned income should be taxed at least at the same rate though some clearly disagree. In my ideal world there would be 100% inheritance tax, in yours it would be 0%. In the practical world it is somewhere in between.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 21, 2017, 3:41 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #175 of 1591 (2323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TempWorksCo] Shock General Election Called [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Because the politics of bitterness and envy mean that no-one can depart this mortal coil in surplus. It must instead be given to the state, which obviously knows best how to handle the fruits of your labours. Even if doing so causes your nearest and dearest, who you've worked all your life to support, a substantial drop in their standard of living once you've popped it.

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 64 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3