Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!!

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 12, 2016, 4:08 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #301 of 323 (3999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hot sunshine meant I managed my first visit to Eastbourne 57 Stoke 33. Admission £13 (Senior) programme £2. After a fall in the first heat for Stokes guest rider Danny Ayres, Eagles recorded a 4-2 and never looked back. Stoke failed to get a heat advantage to leave Eastbourne with an easy victory. Saw Burgesshillbee and Henfield Bee from this parish in which was a local fixture for them.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (14) 18/4/2017 GEDLING MINERS WELFARE 0 Arnold Town 3 - East Midlands League

The Moose
First Team Regular

Oct 28, 2016, 10:46 AM

Team(s):

Post #302 of 323 (3138 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PREMIER LGE GRAND FINAL 2ND LEG: ZUMMERZET REBELS 54 SHEFFIELD TIGERS 36

REBEL ROUSERS WON 100 - 80 on Aggregate

ADM: £15 PROG: £3 ATT: h/c 1,250 (could've been more but it was dark!)

Bringing the curtain down on a successful season for the locals with four different trophies snaffled over the course of the year. Justifiably too having finished top of the normal league before the play offs ensued. Rebels had too much on offer for the Tigers to tame, who never quite had enough self belief to claw back the first leg deficit of two points. To be fair they made a good go at it till around heat 9 when the dirt moved to the outside & the rebellious ones got going to pull away at the end.

Third different track for the granddaughter to attend, having done Poole & Belle Vue so far & she loves it! May also have had something to do with the trophy presentation & firework display to complete the celebrations mind! As always the facilities are a tad spartan at the OTA, elf & safety police would have a hissy fit with all the grass banks to stand on in the dark. Decent night out despite the A39 shut at Street & nice to meet up with an 'old' oppo who seems to have finally been bitten by the shale action bug despite being a confirmed footy addict.

KRTM Cool

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Regular

Feb 28, 2017, 5:29 PM

Post #303 of 323 (2058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th February
Ice Speedway Grand Prix Round 3
Medeu Stadium near Almaty, Kazakhstan
Admission 2000 teng (£5) per day
Programme see below
Attendance c 5,000 Saturday and 4,000 Sunday

The 26th country I’ve visited for speedway almost became my 6th overseas destination (7th match) postponement before it had got under way. Having faced postponements in Canada, Australia, Sweden, Austria (x2) and Hungary the last thing we expected on a brilliantly sunny Saturday in the Trans-Ili Ala-Tau Mountains was a similar occurence.

Having purchased the Almaty equivalent of an Oyster card for 400 teng (£1) top ups cost a further 80 teng (20p) a journey which for a distance of about 15 km was pretty good value.

Not knowing how long the journey would actually take we boarded the number 12 bus from downtown Almaty to the stadium, arriving well before the start so adjourned to the local bar/restaurant for a pre match libation. With little knowledge of the language I had worked out that the alcoholic drinks came in similar measurements to Europe, so it would have been rude not to sample another of the countries beers, especially as the one which caught my eye was the National Drink.

Believe me 2 pints of rancid horse milk was not what I expected or what the doctor ordered but the Shimkent beer I ultimately received was able to take away the taste.

With entrance to the stadium held up until just before start and the reserved seats I had ordered not actually showing on the tickets it became a bit of a free for all but we actually sat in the ones booked in the main starting straight grandstand. Seemingly there was nothing for paper huggers on sale so I started to make my own score sheet, on the rear of the ticket when we spotted a few people with what seemed a pretty good glossy brochure.

On enquiring, I was directed to the press office where it became obvious they would not let me have one for any money at all, although I was given a rider list and race sheet for the day.

When I left the centre, the first race was about to start and for safety reasons I was not allowed to walk around the 1st/2nd bends during racing so was dragged into the back straight seats by an obliging police officer who had already lifted the steps up from the pathway. This proved to be an excellent view and I saw two laps of a very fast and excellent race. Seemingly race leader Danil Ivanov had a puncture going into the back straight on the 3rd lap which caused him to lift and fall (sustaining a broken collar bone) whilst his bike flew into Nicklaus Svensson behind with a horrific sound as spikes entered spokes and Nicklaus was also thrown off. Credit to the Kazakh rider behind who somehow steered round both fallen riders to save even worse injuries.

With ambulances on track I convinced the police I had to get to my seat in the main grandstand and was let through to join a concerned other half. She had noted details on my home made score sheet as we waited for the rerun.

Incredibly this never arrived as a major fog came in from the mountains and you could not see further than a couple of rows in front of you. With a wait of around an hour the message came around that the meeting was postponed and the crowd made its way to exits with many stopping to exchange tickets for the following day. Having bought up front it was not worth queuing for a refund bearing in mind it was only a fiver each we were down.
They reckon 160 world records have been set at this stadium so we were proud to be part of the 161st as around 200 people were crammed into a single decker bus back into the city. My consolation that was at least the Kazakh a**e squashed in my face for an hours ride down the mountain was quite a pleasant one but unbelievably they were letting more skiers onto the bus at the next stop, increasing the crush.

Once back at the hotel, on reading the speedway forum, we saw that the meeting was not abandoned but they were giving it a few hours for the fog to clear. We could probably have cabbed it there but decided to down some of the local ales and nibbles we had bought instead and watch TV.

I saw that Igor Kononov had won the meeting with a 15 point maximum although race offs were abandoned with the fog still affecting the area.

Sunday 19th February
1st Kononov 2nd Koltakov 3rd Khomitsevich (all Russia) 4th Zorn (Austria)

We were greeted on the Sunday by a white covered city with snow falling quite thickly at times. Doing a bit of sightseeing of the stunning wooden cathedral we had missed earlier in the week on route, plus memorials of various past conflicts we took the same seats on Sunday in a snow covered arena. Snow fell lightly throughout but it wasn’t uncomfortable and the brilliant Kazakhs, on hearing we were British plied us with all manner of spirits and had selfies taken with us as souvenirs.

Not daunted by yesterday’s rejections we went to the media centre and this time two polite young men actually offered programmes at no charge, probably assuming that we had accreditation as the room was heaving with journos. TBH the 24 page edition was one of the best I have seen at ice racing full on interesting statistics and editorial (sadly all in Russian) but a shame they did not put them on sale to the fans. Possibly there was no interest but we gave one of the race sheets to local girl who was well pleased with it.

At last we got to see full days racing which, whilst not being the best ever, was still pretty exciting and the locals created an excellent atmosphere and were really fanatical.

Mission accomplished we returned to our 5 star accommodation and blew £80 on a meal, which proved the perfect end to our 6 day break.

I always try to make my own arrangements for foreign travel and although we were in the top hotel in the city and had an extra night’s accommodation more than the organised trip from the UK we saved over £250 between us by doing it ourselves, rather than going with them.

Beer prices varied from £1 in the excellent little Schtab bar (hard to find but well worth it if you do) to around £5 in the hotel. Not that many sights in the city to see but loads of museums and the cable car to the top of Kok Tobe was a good half day out. Locals are fantastic people too.

Culturally we attended opera and ballet in the stunning Abay theatre for about £4 a go with the country’s top performers on show, whilst for paper chasers the very popular programmes for both these events, with up to date performers lists inserted, sold for 1.5 teng each, slightly less than 1/2p. A theatre hoppers dream.

Riding our luck we also got into a party held by one of the country’s top rock Acts Moldazzar, whilst others were turned away at the door so a memorable trip all round, in spite of missing one day’s racing.

(This post was edited by Main Drain Man on Feb 28, 2017, 5:30 PM)

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Mar 28, 2017, 12:17 AM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #304 of 323 (1715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 25th March 2017 Berwick 45 v 45 Newcastle Tyne Tweed Trophy 1st Leg Admission £15 Prog £2.50 Badge £4 Burger £3 Tea/Coffee £1 Ref Graham Reeve.

After the Coldstream Hop game myself and Henfield Bee headed to Shiefield Park home to both Berwick Rangers and Berwick speedway, behind the stadium is also the ground of Tweedmouth Rangers of the East of Scotland league.

Not a great start as there were no chips available Frown. This year is Berwicks 50th year celebrations with a new promotion and ex World Champion Gary Havelock as team manager, they have also signed Lewis Bridger who is based in Sussex and was with Lakeside in last years Elite League and managed to concede a first heat 5-1 . A reasonable meeting with some overtaking mainly by Newcastle's Robert Lambert, the racing was fast around the Berwick Rangers football pitch and some good refereeing daw the meeting finished in approx 90 minutes. Claus Vissing top scored for Berwick with 12+1 and both Robert Lambert and Steve Worrall scored 11 for Newcastle.

Sunday 27th March 2017 Newcastle 55 v 35 Berwick Tyne Tweed Trophy 2nd Leg (Newcastle win 100 -80) Admission £16 Prog £2.50 Ref Chris Durno

And so after the Ormiston game we headed to Brough Park for the second leg of the Tyne Tweed Trophy, the Newcastle programme was voted best in speedway and its not difficult to see why plenty of articles etc and well written the only drawback is that it is A4 size. Newcastle were easy winners but it was still a decent meeting, Berwick were hampered by the injury to thier Austrian reserve Dany Gappmeier who despite walking away took no further part after his crash in heat 6. Robert Lambert again top scored for Newcastle with 14 and Lewis Bridger who was the only rider to beat Lambert top scored for Berwick with 12. IMO Berwick need to strengthen up if they are going to compete away from home.
Attendances at both meetings was approx 800. Meeting finished about 8.30 and back in Burgess Hill about 1.45 AM

bagman

Apr 2, 2017, 12:44 PM

Post #305 of 323 (1543 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 1st April 2017

SGB Premiership

RYE HOUSE ROCKETS 51 v 41 WOLVERHAMTON WOLVES

Admission OAP £16 Programme £2 Ref Chris Gay

Rye House scorers:

Chris Harris 12+1, Scott Nicholls 10+3, Edward Kennett 9, Ellis Perks 6+1, Robert Branford 6, Davey Watt 5, Stuart Robson 3+2.

Wolverhampton scorers:

Kyle Howarth 13+1, Fredrik Lindgren 9+1, Adam Skornicki 7+1, Sam Masters 6, Jacob Thorssell 5+1, Nathan Greaves 1, Max Clegg 0.

Norwich6
Junior Team Regular

Apr 3, 2017, 7:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #306 of 323 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 2nd April

SGB Championship

Glasgow 53 Scunthorpe 37 Ref Jim McGregor

Admission £13.50 oap £17.50 Adult
Programme £3
Tea £1
Steak Pie £2

Scunthorpe managed to restrict Glasgow to a 34 32 lead after heat 11.
But then three 5 1 and 4 2 heat advantages in the last four heats
gave the Tigers a comfortable victory.

Have to say that Ashfield is now a very neat and tidy stadium and a lot of work has been done to transform it. Staff and stewards were all very helpful and friendly.

Very good to see so many youngsters in attendance too.

The announcer said that they are looking to finish all Saturday
meetings by 2045 and this one certainly did and made it very
comfortable to get the 2104 train back to Queen St.

Graeme
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 4, 2017, 3:36 PM

Team(s): Bradford P.A

Post #307 of 323 (1379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Norwich6] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 1st April.
Leicester Lions 48 v Swindon Robins 42.
A great start to the new season for the Lions. Some problems with the new second bend. Jason Doyle not up to his usual standard, but Nick Morris was excellent for the Robins. Young Josh Bates was the pick of the home riders. Meeting delayed because people were still queuing outside at start time.

Total Grounds- 1274 (9).
New grounds this season- 28 (0).
Latest New ground -Stoughton Road, Leicester University.
Rugby Union grounds-5.
Latest-Kelham Road, Newark RFC.

bagman

Apr 9, 2017, 11:28 AM

Post #308 of 323 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Graeme] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 8th April 2017

PREMIERSHIP KO CUP Q/F 1st leg

Rye House Rockets 41 v 49 Swindon Robins

Admission OAP £16 Programme £2 Referee Paul Carrington

RYE HOUSE 41: Scott Nicholls 12, Edward Kennett 8, Chris Harris 7+1, Ellis Perks 5, Stuart Robson 3+2, Davey Watt 3, Ben Morley 3.
SWINDON 49: Nick Morris 14+1, Jason Doyle 11, Bradley Wilson-Dean 9+1, Emil Grondal 8, David Bellego 7+2, Zach Wajtknecht 0, Adam Ellis r/r.

Mike S
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 9, 2017, 8:53 PM

Post #309 of 323 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scunthorpe 47 Glasgow 43
When I work away I get a choice of whether I want to go or not but little choice as to where and a weekend in Scunthorpe for the second time in three weeks was not my ideal choice
The plan was to finish in time to get to Doncaster for RL and a first viewing of Toronto but this was always tight and a 2pm kick off made that impossible
Thankfully Speedway came to the rescue and a 5.30pm start was prefect for me
I saw Cliff had attended the meeting at Glasgow between these sides and the report indicated this may not be a comfortable away win as it would have been in previous seasons. The reality was a close encounter and some good racing
First impressions of the track are not great. it was 4 miles from my hotel and the journey was industrial the whole way and facilities looked basic. However on a warm day, at least at the start, as the temperature dropped 12 degrees during the meeting and it appeared all of the fall was within 10mins, little facilities were required. There are three small sections of cover a dew open seats and a large barn like bar but very basic
However the track itself is slightly banked and has numerous overtaking lines, far more so than most. The meeting reflected that. Scunthorpe went 9 3 ahead but went behind at 23 25 and 29 31 before going 40 38 43 41 and turning a 3 3 into a 4 2 in the last heat. Top scorer was Josh Auty with 14
Attendance c 500/600 and admission £14 plus £1 parking and £1.50 basic 8 page prog
Thoroughly enjoyable which is rare in the sport at the moment. I may be tempted back for more if in the right place this season

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2017, 10:31 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #310 of 323 (1096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lining up only my third meeting in seven years (I'm one of the sport's many 'lost' supporters) for a tick at the 'newest' Belle Vue. The Aces host Wolverhampton in the Premiership on Good Friday (1pm). Would leave only Sittingbourne-based Kent Kings to complete the present set.

I note two clubs - or, at least, their 2017 incarnations - once close to my heart, Middlesbrough and Halifax, are in action at Championship club Scunthorpe in an Easter Sunday double header (3pm). Might consider that also. I lived in North Lincolnshire for three years during the mid-Noughties and went occasionally to the Scunthorpe track which, as MikeS discovered last weekend, always produces decent racing.

Sporting (and other) images at https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/Venue Totals:
Football 869; Rugby Union 229; Rugby League 197; Cricket 60; Speedway 51; Stock Cars 24; Ice Hockey 15; Grasstrack 13; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 10, 2017, 5:31 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #311 of 323 (1048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 8th April 2017

SGB Premiership

Leicester Lions 34 v 56 Poole Pirates

Programme £3
Admission £17
There was a decent queue of people lining up to purchase admission tickets before this meeting. I'm not sure if this delayed the start but we commenced 15 minutes late. This was my second visit to Leicester and the main change was three new corporate portakabins on one of the bends. The thing that did stood out was that Leicester do have a rather large amount of strange people who follow them. I obviously didn't fit into the "local" category and was given suspicious looks. A few announcements were made regarding the taking of photographs not being permitted during the races. There was a point in the meeting when a group of Leicester supporters went a bit "mental" shouting and pointing across the track. This continued for a while until one of them sprinted across to where they were pointing. It was later announced that someone had taken a photograph and this had led to a Leicester rider pulling up in a heat as he thought it was one of the red lights to stop racing. I thought someone was having a punch up due to the way they reacted.
The club shop is very cramped to say the least. There was a good selection of programmes available from the current season with Cradley looking the most impressive. Leicester's is a decent edition too.
Despite the Pirates being very comfortable throughout this was a decent meeting. There was some really good passing moves but mainly from the men from Poole.

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 15, 2017, 12:23 PM

Post #312 of 323 (833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thursday 13 April 2017
Knock Out Cup - 2nd Leg
Redcar Bears 44 Peterborough 46
Admission £16
Programme £2

I quite enjoyed my night out here. From a spectator point of view it is a 2 sided venue with 3 sections of steel built terracing, a shallow balcony on front of the clubhouse and a permanent seated grandstand.

The announcers were of the pervy kind. We had a meeting long running joke about balls which got really boring after a while followed by a request for any 18 - 40 year old women celebrating their birthday to come to the centre green. They could then sit on the announcers knee and tell him about their birthday.

Peterborough won this tie comfortably and never appeared in any danger of losing it. Programme was a 16 page issue and although nicely presented it was overpriced.

One thing about this venue is I didn't expect it to be so close to Middlesbrough or the Riverside stadium. It is located in an industrial area so there is nothing in the locality of interest.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Apr 15, 2017, 9:49 PM

Post #313 of 323 (793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Thursday 13 April 2017
Knock Out Cup - 2nd Leg
Redcar Bears 44 Peterborough 46
Admission £16
Programme £2

One thing about this venue is I didn't expect it to be so close to Middlesbrough or the Riverside stadium. It is located in an industrial area so there is nothing in the locality of interest.

Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council built the South Tees Motor Sport Park. As you discovered, it's much nearer Middlesbrough than Redcar but the speedway club, aware of who had provided the facilities, chose to be known as Redcar Bears rather than Middlesbrough Bears. Middlesbrough Bears packed up at the end of the 1996 season when Cleveland Park, a dog track at Newport, was redeveloped by its owners, the neighbouring Macmillan College (now Academy). Unsurprisingly, both at the time and since, Middlesbrough Borough Council was prepared to do sweet FA to rehouse the greyhounds and the speedway. Bent over backwards for bloody Middlesbrough FC, mind.

Ground/Venue Totals:
Football 869; Rugby Union 229; Rugby League 197; Cricket 60; Speedway 51; Stock Cars 24; Ice Hockey 15; Grasstrack 13; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Apr 15, 2017, 9:52 PM)

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 16, 2017, 1:00 PM

Post #314 of 323 (733 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I remember driving past Cleveland Park many years ago. Unfortunately it was one of the many tracks I missed.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Apr 16, 2017, 3:55 PM

Post #315 of 323 (712 views)
Shortcut

A shame. After fire destroyed the grandstand, Cleveland Park became a bit of a dump during the last decade of its life. The racing was always first class, though. Crowds were never good, however, and averaged just 850 during the last season (1996). The promoter, Malcolm Wright, told me he lost £1,500 every home meeting. "I've had to come down a model on the Jag," he observed, with a smile. I suspect Malcolm was relieved when the college announced plans to close the stadium and redevelop the site. It gave him a way out without losing face. Not that anyone had serious cause to criticise him: his financial input kept Middlesbrough Speedway going for at least three seasons leading up to Cleveland Park's final fixture, against Bradford Dukes, in October 1996.

Ground/Venue Totals:

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Apr 16, 2017, 3:56 PM)

The Moose
First Team Regular

Apr 16, 2017, 4:37 PM

Team(s):

Post #316 of 323 (701 views)
Shortcut

Good Fri 14th April - SGB PREMIERSHIP: POOLE PIRATES 54 ZUMMERZET REBELS 36

ADM: £17 PROG: £3 ATT: h/c 2,200

Hadn't been to Wimborne Road for a while as I'd seen every possible team here previously. This year gives me an excuse to visit twice then with the Rebel Rousers being one of the two newbies at this level. Looks like they may struggle for a while to get used to the billy big biscuits racing as they were off the pace for a lot of this meeting. Having said that I noted they did at least scrape a win in the return meeting in the evening.

Seemed strange doing an 11.00 am meeting here but a decent crowd turned up to see the Swashbucklers do their thing. With Klindt at reserve, they have an ace up their sleeve too. The main stand here has wooden bench seats & has probably been around for nearly 60 years now. Tiz showing its age too & badly in need of a coat of paint here & there. I do miss the old covered terrace opposite which has been replaced by a glass fronted restaurant facility. Other than that it looks the same as it did in the 1970's but without their footy neighbours anymore. Good to catch up with some fellow shale enthusiasts from Yeovil who'd not had the Pirate pleasure previously.

KRTM Cool

footiemug
Youth Team Sub

Apr 16, 2017, 8:39 PM

Team(s): Eastbourne teams

Post #317 of 323 (659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fri 14 April
Eastbourne Eagles 51 v Lakeside Hammers 39
Lee Richardson Memorial Trophy (2nd leg)
Admission £13
Prog £2 ( excellent)
Nice evening out, but got colder as evening went on.
Comfortable win over the2 legs.
Not sure how Eagles will get on this season.Seem to have a
Good lower order of riders.
Nice to have Lakeside and Kent in the N.L. this season.
Always interesting where any stadium is situated.Arlington stadium
is in a village (Arlington) where most of the properties will be worth
Over half a million.
1st leg Hammers 48 v Eagles 42. Agg Eagles 93 v Hammers 87

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 16, 2017, 10:16 PM

Post #318 of 323 (619 views)
Shortcut
Re: [footiemug] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 15 April 2017
Workington 48 Scunthorpe Scorpions 45
Admission £16
Programme £1

Derwent Park seemed to have activity at this meeting than when I attended last season. The future of the Comets was in doubt after last season but thsnkfully they have continued.

Credit to the promoters for signing local favourite Craig Cook who is a real class act.

What did disappoint was the number of freebies gaining admission at the meeting. The announcer kept mentioning that a number of people were attending their first ever meeting - I guess for free. It cost me £16 to stand.

Last season the 8 page fold out programme was given away free with admission. Now it costs £1 and it is poor.

Despite the close result the atmosphere was very flat as it normally is. One new development is the Blue and White Cafe which is located on the terraces. I had Chilli Chips and Rice which was very good. Apart from that Derwent Park is an unloveable dirty dump. Likewise they still have inflatable comedy inflatable penis behind the bar in the social club. Is there any need ?

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Apr 20, 2017, 11:40 PM

Post #319 of 323 (462 views)
Shortcut

Thursday 20th April 2017
Redcar Bears 54 Ipswich Witches 35
SGB Championship
Admission £16
Programme £2 (16pp, glossy, but rather light on reading)
Attendance 500 (est)
Fast food-style refreshments available (didn't sample)

My solicitor wife is on leave this week and, mid-afternoon, out of the blue, I suggested a trip up to Teesside for her first speedway meeting. The decade I've known her has coincided with my losing interest in the sport. This was only my third match in seven seasons. Always interesting to hear the reaction of first-timers, which is usually positive. Speedway, though a shadow of what it was in the 70s and even 80s, remains a fair spectacle. She described it as "exciting" and a "fun evening", and would go again.

Decent match, with reasonable racing, up to heat 12, when it all went wrong for Ipswich. At the time, the visitors trailed by just six points. But in that fateful race young reserve Danyon Hume collided with Argentine Nico Covatti as the two Witches chased Bears heat leader Charles Wright into turn three. The Ipswich duo smashed into the air fence with such severity a section was punctured. A half-hour delay ensued while a second ambulance arrived to take Covatti, who injured an arm, to hospital. Redcar rattled up 5-1s in each of the last three heats to win comfortably. Bears had a clear advantage at reserve. Ipswich skipper Danny King, the reigning British champion, mounted on an increasingly sick bike, failed to score in his last two rides.

Carmarthen Dragons (I'm guessing no longer actually riding in the Welsh town) beat Redcar Cubs 18-17 in a second half junior match held over six heats.

My third visit - and first for at least a decade - to the South Tees Motorsport Park. Speedway facilities at what is now the Media Prima Arena have improved markedly. There is a proper grandstand, along with several sections of terracing, providing an elevated view, and hardstanding. Half the arena is off limits to spectators, however. The track, banked on the bends, looked in good nick. Joe Public was allowed access to the pits until 30 minutes before tapes up. An excellent innovation.

Pre-match, I got chatting to a woman 'manning' the track shop. Turned out she was promoter Kevin Keay's wife. I asked about Redcar's crowds. She told me the previous week's (for a cup-tie against Peterborough Panthers) had been "good" before adding it was 581. In the days (1991-96) when I was a regular at the old Middlesbrough track at Cleveland Park, the crowd very rarely dropped below 800. Frequently, it was above 1,000. Back then, the club ran at a big loss. How on earth does speedway survive today, and the riders make any sort of living, with attendances so sparse? Compared to the Cleveland Park crowd, which, IIRC, could get extremely raucous, I felt this evening's spectators were rather subdued.

Still, it's whetted my appetite for ticking the two operating tracks I haven't visited - Belle Vue Aces (the latest version) and Kent Kings. I'll try to get them done in 2017.

BEARS: Jason Garrity 12; Ben Barker 10+3; Charles Wright 9+2; Jonas B Andersen 9; Coty Garcia 5+1; Ellis Perks 5; Richard Hall 4+2.

WITCHES: Rory Schlein 10; Nico Covatti 9; Danny King 6+1; James Sarjeant 5+2; Danyon Hume 3; Cameron Heeps 1; Connor Mountain 1.

Ground/Venue Totals:

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Apr 20, 2017, 11:48 PM)

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 21, 2017, 9:01 AM

Post #320 of 323 (426 views)
Shortcut

Monday 17 April 2017
National League
Cradley Heath 43 Mildenhall 46
Admission £12
Programme £3
Badge £4

Cradley Heath race at Monmore Green, Wolverhampton. This is very much a dog track with the main facilities being a large grandstand which is set out for dining. The speedeay crowd occupy the terracing in front and a steel framed terrace to the side. It is basically a one sided stadium. I parked on the street outside the stadium. There a few warning signs around telling you not to leave valuables visable in your car.

To an uneducated speedway spectator there appears to be a major difference between this level and the Premier League. It was a major achievement for all 4 riders to complete a race. The thrill level of watching some of the riders trying to get around the track was akin to watching a man spin plates. Lots of oooing and ahhing. One race was stopped four times due to crashes and two riders managed to crash consecutively together in one race. Same corner same lap. One of the riders was Danny Ayres who I have seen race for Leicester, Redcar and Cradley this season. There was an interesting article in the programme about Danny and his recovery from injury. I must say I thought the programme (for speedway) was excellent.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Apr 23, 2017, 1:33 AM

Post #321 of 323 (300 views)
Shortcut

Second part of a sporting double after watching Edinburgh City beat Annan Athletic 2-0 in SFL Div Two…

Saturday 22nd April 2017
Berwick Bandits 42 Scunthorpe Scorpions 48
SGB Championship (second tier, 7pm)
Admission £15
Programme £2.50 (36pp, maintains Berwick's long-established reputation for quality programmes)
Attendance 350 (est)
Tea (in a card cup) £1.20

Clash of teams struggling already this season. But for a double misfortune hitting No 1 Lewis Bridger, Berwick could have drawn or even won. Bridger shed a chain when disputing the lead of heat six then, in heat 10, fell in a shoulder-to-shoulder first bend battle for supremacy when out as a tactical substitute. Given they trailed by 12 points after heat 12, Bandits did well to reduce the deficit to six.

Some very watchable racing on the banked Shielfield Park circuit. Impressed with Bandits' Austrian reserve Dany Gappmaier, who contributed paid 17 from seven rides. Dane Michael Palm Toft caught the eye for Scunthorpe, top-scoring with paid fifteen from six. Both teams operated rider replacement, for Claus Vissing and Josh Auty respectively. The facility garnered only six points for Bandits (when Vissing has been averaging 10-11 per match) while Scorpions benefited to the tune of nine.

I've been to Shielfield several times, for both football and speedway, and the stadium has probably never looked smarter. Bandits had a change of promotion over the winter and report much improved crowds after a pre-season marketing drive. I was, therefore, surprised to see such a sparse gathering. A chat with regulars revealed attendances have plummeted very quickly owing to the team's failure to win at home. "People in Berwick like to vote with their feet," one old-timer told me.

The second half junior match resulted in a 19-11 Berwick victory over Scunthorpe-based Halifax Dukes (only in speedway…). Bandits have a 9.30pm curfew. Delays during the main match, not least after a nasty tumble for Borders-based Bandit Liam Carr, meant the juniors missed out on their last race.

My wife joined me for her second speedway meeting in three days (having never previously seen the sport), and was as positive about this experience as she had been about Redcar last Thursday. By heck, I might have a convert on my hands!

BANDITS: Dany Gappmaier 16+1; Kevin Doolan 10+2; Lewis Bridger 6; Dimitri Berge 5; Liam Carr 4; Tom Bacon 1.

SCORPIONS: Michael Palm Toft 13+2; Ryan Douglas 10; Lewis Kerr 9; Carl Wilkinson 8+1; Tom Perry 7+1; Josh Bailey 1.

Ground/Venue Totals:

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Apr 23, 2017, 1:44 AM)

footiemug
Youth Team Sub

Apr 23, 2017, 10:57 AM

Team(s): Eastbourne teams

Post #322 of 323 (236 views)
Shortcut

Fri 21 April
Plymouth Devils 32 V Eastbourne Eagle's 52
(curfew after heat 14,result stands)
Admission £10
Prog £2.50
Badge £5
As you can see from the result , Eagle's just destroyed
The Devil's.
Devils had Boxhall on12 and Compton 9 the rest were nowhere.
Eagle's lowest scores were 6
Tom Brennan who is 16 in July scored a brilliant 10
Watch out for him.
Really like Plymouth,everyone wanted a chat.
Stayed at B&B at west hoe.
Then on to Truro city V Hemel Hempstead on sat.
Is there a more beautiful county than Devon ?

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Apr 23, 2017, 11:26 AM

Post #323 of 323 (226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [footiemug] Where are you going - where did you go? SPEEDWAY!!! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Fri 21 April
Plymouth Devils 32 V Eastbourne Eagle's 52
(curfew after heat 14,result stands)

Is there a more beautiful county than Devon ?

Having worked in Exeter for a couple of years in the 1990s, I'd be more tempted to ask: is there a wetter county than Devon? In any beauty contest I'd be judging, Cumbria would beat Devon hands down. :-)

Ground/Venue Totals:

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3