Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Administration: Book of Condolences:
The Tony Kempster Memorial Trophy Match (Just An Idea)

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 6, 2017, 5:20 PM

Post #1 of 8 (21471 views)
Shortcut
The Tony Kempster Memorial Trophy Match (Just An Idea) Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've been reading through the many messages of tribute left for Tony Kempster, and would like to float an idea on here:

Arranging a memorial match (maybe a one-off or one that could become an annual event) for pre-season with cancer charities such as Macmillan, Cancer Research UK, Children With Cancer, Hope For Tomorrow etc. benefiting.

There are grounds which could be hired out for about 400 a day (I think Whyteleafe FC can be hired for a figure around this amount), and I am sure that if there was sufficient interest in this event it would be a great success.

As for who would play, well I am sure we wouldn't be short of teams interested! I could also ask a celebrity I follow on You Tube (England Rugby Union Player James Haskell) if he'd like to come along in order to give the event some 'clout' and maybe BBC/ITV/Sky etc. Celebrity teams could also be looked at, such as the Lashings FC side.

I should just state that this is only an idea, and short of putting money forward for pitch/venue hire, searching for a venue (possibly around the London area), and asking James if he'd be interested in attending (assuming he is not called up for the British & Irish Lions Tour to New Zealand) and attending the game this is all I can do and I think it would be better for an organising committee to consist of people who knew Tony well or who have some longstanding within the Non League community.

Over to you guys (and girls).

steve walker
Administrator

Apr 6, 2017, 7:38 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 8 (21443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] The Tony Kempster Memorial Trophy Match (Just An Idea) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Okay I will start then.
There was a LOT of interest in Tonys passing on the main media channels back in 2009 including the BBC and the Football Supporters Federation.
York City would be the most obvious club to get involved with something like this if anyone has any contacts there and we would also need to contact Tonys surviving family which I'm not sure I have details of unless I revive an old laptop plus contact the charity. Major project really but a worthwhile one for anyone with the time to organise it.
Let me have a think about this and speak to some contacts

(This post was edited by steve walker on Apr 6, 2017, 8:11 PM)

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 7, 2017, 10:52 AM

Team(s): None

Post #3 of 8 (21324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] The Tony Kempster Memorial Trophy Match (Just An Idea) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If York win the FA Trophy and South Shields the FA Vase, a match between the two probably at Shields would probably attract a decent crowd. Obviously up to the clubs involved though and would be much better than a 'Celebrity XI' match.

steve walker
Administrator

Apr 7, 2017, 6:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 8 (21253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] The Tony Kempster Memorial Trophy Match (Just An Idea) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Absolutely.

To be honest I'm just not sure I have the energy to get something like this up and running even though I think it's definitely a viable project.

If anyone wanted to take it on I would certainly be as supportive as I can

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 19, 2017, 8:08 PM

Post #5 of 8 (20002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] The Tony Kempster Memorial Trophy Match (Just An Idea) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Quick Update

I emailed Pocklington Town about this idea, and they are very interested in staging an event in memory of Tony Kempster (with cancer charities benefiting). It depends on dates available, but it's very promising.

If anybody would like to add to this, either reply below or drop me a PM.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Apr 19, 2017, 10:18 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #6 of 8 (19978 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] The Tony Kempster Memorial Trophy Match (Just An Idea) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think you'd be better off posting this in the Non League General Discussion section of the forum, where it will get more of an audience.

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 19, 2017, 10:37 PM

Post #7 of 8 (19972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] The Tony Kempster Memorial Trophy Match (Just An Idea) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll message Steve Walker to see what his thoughts are.

I appreciate your input though, Scott. Many thanks!

Roker Rover
Junior Team Star

Apr 22, 2017, 12:20 AM

Team(s): Sunderland, Gateshead, Ryton and Crawcrook Albion, Uxbridge, Durham CCC.

Post #8 of 8 (19658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] The Tony Kempster Memorial Trophy Match (Just An Idea) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If York win the FA Trophy and South Shields the FA Vase, a match between the two probably at Shields would probably attract a decent crowd. Obviously up to the clubs involved though and would be much better than a 'Celebrity XI' match.

That would attract a huge crowd at shields to the point that their ground would probably not be big enough. It would probably be a sell out.

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3