Brexit effect on Football

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Apr 4, 2017, 10:33 AM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #1 of 23 (6490 views)
Shortcut
Brexit effect on Football Can't Post or Reply Privately

What effect will EU withdrawal have on Football...

I'm thinking of Berwick, will they be able to remain in Scottish Football, especially if Scotland gets it independence and also Derry, will they still be able to play cross border football or would they be re-integrated into Northern Irish Football

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

007Dale
First Team Star

Apr 4, 2017, 10:39 AM

Post #2 of 23 (6484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As far as I'm aware neither of those arrangements are contingent on being in the EU, it's a UEFA decision, which is not aligned to the EU. More likely impact on work permits, limit on European players etc.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 4, 2017, 10:59 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #3 of 23 (6472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I'm thinking of Berwick, will they be able to remain in Scottish Football, especially if Scotland gets it independence and also Derry, will they still be able to play cross border football or would they be re-integrated into Northern Irish Football

Monaco - non-EU play in France - EU.

More to the point what will happen to all the EU johnny foreigners who ply their trade in the UK?

(This post was edited by PaulC on Apr 4, 2017, 10:59 AM)

dottirofhod

Apr 4, 2017, 11:24 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #4 of 23 (6459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Aunty BEEB covers most =
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35919247

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 35 / 30/ 5/ inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 11 / 08 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-3-2)/ Lux = 0-3 / Neth = 0-0-0-(2 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3/ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-1.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

jrev61

Apr 4, 2017, 1:03 PM

Team(s): None

Post #5 of 23 (6423 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Derry City are currently playing home games in the Republic of Ireland.

jrev61

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 4, 2017, 1:33 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #6 of 23 (6415 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

With teams in the PL having to field manly UK born players then English football will return to the dark ages of the 70's and 80's. winning the European Cup/CL every year Smile

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

PaulC

Apr 4, 2017, 3:46 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #7 of 23 (6370 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
With teams in the PL having to field manly UK born players then English football will return to the dark ages of the 70's and 80's. winning the European Cup/CL every year Smile

Umm no. EU nations will still be able to pick and choose.

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 4, 2017, 7:26 PM

Post #8 of 23 (6320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My hope is that British clubs invest more in young British talent, and that we can bring more world class home-grow players through the ranks.

At the moment, we are under the belief that foreign players are better and we devote more time and devotion to them than we do looking after our own.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 4, 2017, 7:34 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #9 of 23 (6317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
My hope is that British clubs invest more in young British talent, and that we can bring more world class home-grow players through the ranks.

At the moment, we are under the belief that foreign players are better and we devote more time and devotion to them than we do looking after our own.

Erm, they are, as the stats show!
More home-grown world class players? Any current in your opinion and if not,who has been in recent years?

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 4, 2017, 8:44 PM

Post #10 of 23 (6293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Then we need to ask why the foreign youngsters are better, and what can we do to be better than them?

Is it a cultural thing, do other countries want and value success more than we do, are players scared of the media scrutiny (which is often unwarranted and unfair) or whatever it is if England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland want success they must not be hamstrung in any way and be allowed to build for (hopefully) a bright future.

I don't buy the notion that young players are ad hoc lazy and over-privileged - some maybe but not all. Some never get the opportunity and some are written off as failures without a fair crack of the whip.

The only genuine British world-class talent that I can think of off the bat is a certain Welsh man from Whitchurch, Cardiff with the surname of Bale.

In recent years - David Beckham has to be worthy of an inclusion.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 4, 2017, 8:53 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #11 of 23 (6286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll give you Bale - super footballer.
Beckham? World-class marketing perhaps, not up there as a player in my opinion.
At his peak, Ashley Cole perhaps...?

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 4, 2017, 9:06 PM

Post #12 of 23 (6278 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Umm no. EU nations will still be able to pick and choose.

Actually, even though I said it with tongue in cheek, if you look back to when English clubs dominated European club competitions you would see that European sides, i.e. non UK. would and usually had, none nationals in their line ups. And yes, before you mention it, I know that English teams were filled with Scots, Welsh & Irish players.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

acmold

Apr 4, 2017, 9:15 PM

Post #13 of 23 (6267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or

When I was a kid we would be playing football / cricket / tennis etc every night of the week except for a few weeks in the winter. School holidays were spent in the local park. Breaks at school were spent kicking a tennis ball about or in the cricket nets in the summer. We would walk or cycle to school. When I left school I played football, cricket and squash and walked or cycled to work. In other countries you still see kids kicking tennis balls about, playing cricket with bits of wood and a tennis ball. I still walk everywhere and do a bit of running. In other countries (USA excepted) kids still walk, cycle and walk. How many of our youngsters do?. Many are carted door to door in mum, dads or a grandparents "taxi".

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 4, 2017, 10:20 PM

Post #14 of 23 (6237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Could not agree more, acmold

Unfortunately, certain people would baulk if you suggested bringing those 'good times' back. They'd be up in arms that their little angel would have to walk to school with weirdos and creeps around. Nope it's the 4x4 or nothing.

We have to change society and give kids the freedom to be kids and to enjoy their childhood. Happy children = happy adults.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Apr 5, 2017, 2:15 AM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #15 of 23 (6199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
When I was a kid we would be playing football / cricket / tennis etc every night of the week except for a few weeks in the winter. School holidays were spent in the local park. Breaks at school were spent kicking a tennis ball about or in the cricket nets in the summer. We would walk or cycle to school. When I left school I played football, cricket and squash and walked or cycled to work. In other countries you still see kids kicking tennis balls about, playing cricket with bits of wood and a tennis ball. I still walk everywhere and do a bit of running. In other countries (USA excepted) kids still walk, cycle and walk. How many of our youngsters do?. Many are carted door to door in mum, dads or a grandparents "taxi".

Halcyon days? Mmmm I don't think so.

Do you not also recall being beaten at school or worse still sexually abused?
Half the class bemoaning a PE lesson and doing anything to dodge it?
Two TV channels? The BBC light programme? Coal fires for heating?
Slums. Inflation. Life expectancy almost a decade shorter.
Not such good old days after all when you balance it out.

I am also happy to report that the kids in this part of the capital play out on the street, pavement and nearby common. Impromptu games are the norm. Thanks to our local Indian influence street cricket is alive and well also.

As for the school run...it's sadly not always a matter of choice to cycle or walk, when the school maybe two or more miles from home.

I won't labour the point, but perhaps you should direct your ire at the loss of good neighbourliness and a strong local community rather than viewing the past with such dewy eyed nostalgia.

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 5, 2017, 2:32 AM

Post #16 of 23 (6192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whilst true, some of these problems still remain today. Poverty is still a problem and people who live in poorer places (including Blackpool, where I am) will usually live 10 years less than the national average.

Life in the past wasn't all great, I will give you that, but it was certainly a lot more straightforward.

At least children didn't have to worry about these things years ago:

* Bullying on social media.
* Called a bigot for mis-gendering a person by accident (plus threats of legal action).
* Being asked to send 'nudes' on Facebook.
* Making sure they watch the right TV or listen to the right or acceptable music trends, for fear of not fitting in.
* Doing schoolwork which will do nothing to prepare them for the outside world. Explain to me how knowing Pi or Utilitarianism is going to help me budget my income and expenditure? How is Liberal Studies going to help me know which mortgage to get?
* Being under pressure to conform and be the same as everybody else for fear of being a failure/outcast.

Kids don't have it that good these days either.

acmold

Apr 5, 2017, 9:39 AM

Post #17 of 23 (6143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or

My school was nearly three miles away and I cycled everyday. Why would you not walk or cycle one or two miles to school going by car is being lazy. Yes there was some bullying but none of the rest of the things you say about. There were just a couple of kids who used to try and get out of PE.

Around here there has been an effort to get a sense of community back and the local network is nearing 500 members and one of the main aims is to get activities for kids and OAP's.

As for living longer yes some people are living a lot longer but many youngsters won't they won't make 60. My family on the whole have always had long lifes, going back through the generations many have lived well into their 80's and 90's despite being very hard working.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Apr 5, 2017, 11:15 AM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #18 of 23 (6119 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
My school was nearly three miles away and I cycled everyday. Why would you not walk or cycle one or two miles to school going by car is being lazy.

No, it's not laziness but moreover a matter of self preservation.
The thought of sending a child out on a bike to negotiate a two mile journey in rush hour is tantamount to a suicide mission around here.

Rather safe than sorry would be my motto.
But what this has to do with the Brexit effect on football defeats me.

Wink

stingray
First Team Star

Apr 5, 2017, 2:20 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #19 of 23 (6086 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
At least children didn't have to worry about these things years ago:

* Bullying on social media.
* Called a bigot for mis-gendering a person by accident (plus threats of legal action).
* Being asked to send 'nudes' on Facebook.
* Making sure they watch the right TV or listen to the right or acceptable music trends, for fear of not fitting in.
* Doing schoolwork which will do nothing to prepare them for the outside world. Explain to me how knowing Pi or Utilitarianism is going to help me budget my income and expenditure? How is Liberal Studies going to help me know which mortgage to get?
* Being under pressure to conform and be the same as everybody else for fear of being a failure/outcast.

Points 1, 2 & 3 - Correct.

Points 4, 5 & 6 - 'Twas ever thus, even in my day especially 4 & 6. Which largely explains why my schooldays weren't exactly a fond memory and says a lot about the other kids there.

2019/20 stats

14 goals in 4 games
41.20 spent

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 5, 2017, 2:44 PM

Post #20 of 23 (6082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

These "kids in the past" posts are interesting to read, pity they don't have their own thread. if and when they do then I might chip in with how it was when I was a nipper.

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 5, 2017, 2:56 PM

Post #21 of 23 (6076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Same here, Stingray.

I left school in 2001 (aged 16) and didn't enjoy it at all. Was quite happy enough though being boring and un-hip with the music I listened to and still do - Queen, Dr Feelgood, Beatles etc.

Anyway, back to Brexit - my only hope is that it will mean more chances for British youngsters.

Eastbourne
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 5, 2017, 3:02 PM

Team(s): Chelsea,Eastbourne clubs

Post #22 of 23 (6073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Its difficult to have fixed criteria for when we were kids, location would have meant so different causes of poverty or social standing .Our stories will never all agree.

We moved around so school was sometimes walkable sometimes busable and sometimes cyclable.
In Eastbourne it is a fairly safe environment unlike parts of big cities, and like Oxford we could cycle in safety, whereas in Sarf Lunnon you probably needed a tank to get to school.
I never felt any peer pressure regarding football or music, made my own choices and still do.
Never had any bullying at school, only ever in 2 fights, Won 1, Lost 1.
In all my years at school ages 4-16 in Eastbourne we only ever had 1 black kid and 1 asian kid, both friends. Racism never came into it.
Homework was done alone without parents help using encyclopedias and other books, and only after that was done and dinner was done were we allowed to play.
Never once had any dealings with sexual abuse any which way you want to call it, if it went on in Eastbourne it was not obvious or known about.
Generally I would say I had a good happy childhood, certainly I have had much bigger problems since I left school.

Ropemaker

Apr 5, 2017, 3:49 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #23 of 23 (6051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Eastbourne] Brexit effect on Football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Neither were there any issues about making sure I ended up in the "right" secondary school in my day.

Down my way (just down the road from Mr Eastbourne as it happens), there was one school and everyone went there.

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3