Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Premier League & Football League:
Brentford Terracing to stay another season.

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 9, 2017, 1:18 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #1 of 24 (3847 views)
Shortcut
Brentford Terracing to stay another season. Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brentford have been given special dispensation by the Football League to keep their terracing for another season. When they gained promotion to the championship they were given 3 years for the ground to be made an all seater stadium. The dispensation has been granted as the club hope to move into their new stadium in Lionel Road for the start of the 2018/19 season, possibly sharing with London Irish rugby Club.. If the club were forced to close the terracing next season it would have severely cut the clubs capacity.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

007Dale
First Team Sub

Mar 9, 2017, 6:43 PM

Post #2 of 24 (3742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have they actually started clearing the site yet? If not, can't see them being ready for 18/19 season.

stugg93
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 9, 2017, 7:59 PM

Team(s): Southampton, Shef Weds, Shef Utd, Ipswich, Blackfield & L, Hythe & Dibden

Post #3 of 24 (3711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They've begun clearing, but they haven't begun clearing the majority of the sight. Won't be too long until the whole site is cleared though. I'll admit it's a tight deadline but non unfeasible.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Mar 9, 2017, 10:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 24 (3623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Shocking outbreak of common sense from the football authorities!

Eastbourne
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 10, 2017, 1:56 PM

Team(s): Chelsea,Eastbourne clubs

Post #5 of 24 (3494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I hope this does not establish a dangerous precedent.
What will happen next time a club is relegated/denied promotion because of ground grading Issues.
Especially one of seating.
Special dispensation which should maybe should not have been allowed, after all Brentford have had 3 years to make the changes.

There are too many clubs in the system who don't have adequate seating and will finish top of their leagues and be denied promotion, now they have something to argue against.

sandhurstbee

Mar 10, 2017, 2:49 PM

Post #6 of 24 (3473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Eastbourne] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I hope this does not establish a dangerous precedent.
What will happen next time a club is relegated/denied promotion because of ground grading Issues.
Especially one of seating.
Special dispensation which should maybe should not have been allowed, after all Brentford have had 3 years to make the changes.

There are too many clubs in the system who don't have adequate seating and will finish top of their leagues and be denied promotion, now they have something to argue against.

Agree in principle but the fact that Brentford already had plans to move to a new stadium (Albeit originally they were supposed to have been in it in 2012) It would seem an awful waste of money to spend on something that will be demolished a year later. I think the alternative was to try and arrange a groundshare with Fulham and QPR Mooted.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Mar 10, 2017, 7:36 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #7 of 24 (3393 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Eastbourne] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Decision to allow the terracing to remain was made by the Sports Ground Safety Authority who are unlikely to have much to do with non league clubs and their problems in not getting promoted due to a lack of seats and also this decision has to be ratified by the Secretary of State.
An article in a recent programme indicated that it would be season 2019/2020 when the club moves to its new ground and this decision is only for next season.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Mar 10, 2017, 9:49 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #8 of 24 (3340 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
now they have something to argue against.

Only if they have planning permission for a new stadium

007Dale
First Team Sub

Mar 11, 2017, 6:02 AM

Post #9 of 24 (3276 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
now they have something to argue against.

Only if they have planning permission for a new stadium

There is a line to be drawn somewhere between 'thoughts of a new ground' and it 'being built' - but much closer to the latter.

For me, I think you'd have to prove:
1. Planning permission
2. Ground work started & all key contracts signed.
3. Proof that funding is in place.

Then dispensation seems reasonable.

coops
First Team Sub

Mar 14, 2017, 4:04 PM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #10 of 24 (3012 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I hope this does not establish a dangerous precedent..

I hope it does set a precedent. I hope that this means more teams will not be denied promotion or be demoted because of a few seats they don't really need and often can't really afford.
I'm all for clubs improving grounds but as long as there are enough seats for those that want them and the rest of the ground can comfortably hold the rest of the expected crowd who are happy to stand up then why stymie a club's ambitions?

ladderman

Mar 14, 2017, 5:04 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #11 of 24 (2979 views)
Shortcut

Are there? I guess that depends on your definition of adequate. To many clubs have been forced to stick unnecessary seating in just to keep ground graders happy. The second stand at Stortford has been there for ten years, the only time it was necessary was the FA Cup tie against Northampton in 2013 and even then adequate segregation could've been sorted out.
This decision isn't going to effect a step 5 club being denied promotion, anyway

windydcfc

Mar 14, 2017, 5:16 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #12 of 24 (2973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I wonder if safe standing could help out with Brentford's situation?
https://www.google.co.uk/...ll-league-rail-seats

genesimmons
Junior Team Star

Mar 20, 2017, 9:38 PM

Team(s): Gateshead

Post #13 of 24 (2700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So this rule of haveing to have a all seater ground if you are n the top two tiers for more than 2 year seems to have gone out the window. Could understand of Brentford ground was under construction. Loads of clubs have been demoted/denied promotion due to ground gradeng issues in non league but it seems to get swept under carpet in football league. What's situation with Burton/ most clubs in championship have good stadiums like St James's park, villa park etc so not a problem en mass

You wanted the best, you got the best

garethwrexy

Mar 21, 2017, 6:34 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #14 of 24 (2574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [genesimmons] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What is the danger with standing in the modern game, these days all proper rules are in place

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 22, 2017, 1:33 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #15 of 24 (2480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
What is the danger with standing in the modern game, these days all proper rules are in place

There is no problem with standing. It's the falling down that's the problem. Tongue

Veteran

Mar 22, 2017, 4:30 PM

Team(s): A. B. U.

Post #16 of 24 (2440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [genesimmons] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
So this rule of haveing to have a all seater ground if you are n the top two tiers for more than 2 year seems to have gone out the window. Could understand of Brentford ground was under construction. Loads of clubs have been demoted/denied promotion due to ground gradeng issues in non league but it seems to get swept under carpet in football league. What's situation with Burton/ most clubs in championship have good stadiums like St James's park, villa park etc so not a problem en mass

As far as I am concerned there are only two proper football grounds in the Championship - Brentford and Burton.
The rest are just soulless sanitised auditoriums.
If by any miracle Burton do stay up - they have probably blown it after their second half collapse on Saturday - it is my understanding (pun NOT intended) that they would have one more season before they would have to completely spoil the ground and make it all seater, (also with an increased capacity) or face compulsory relegation..

Stop the B teams in the League proposal.

garethwrexy

Mar 22, 2017, 6:44 PM

Post #17 of 24 (2417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Or having knowhere to sitSmile

stugg93
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 22, 2017, 7:41 PM

Team(s): Southampton, Shef Weds, Shef Utd, Ipswich, Blackfield & L, Hythe & Dibden

Post #18 of 24 (2399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think they get 3 seasons grace so it may well be 2019 before the ground is altered.

garethwrexy

Mar 22, 2017, 9:28 PM

Post #19 of 24 (2369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stugg93] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bring back standing I say

Richard Rundle

Mar 23, 2017, 8:06 AM

Post #20 of 24 (2300 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As far as I am concerned there are only two proper football grounds in the Championship - Brentford and Burton.

I would add Craven Cottage to that group. Yes it's all seater, but it doesn't seem soulless or sanitized to me.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Mar 23, 2017, 9:14 AM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #21 of 24 (2291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I would add Craven Cottage to that group. Yes it's all seater, but it doesn't seem soulless or sanitized to me.

Craven Cottage is my favourite ground (or to be more precise, day out) in the country, by a mile.

Suppose it depends on definitions, but I wouldn't have Forest, Leeds, Barnsley or Sheff Wednesday in the bracket mentioned above, and I'm not sure there's anything sanitised about Wolves, Villa or Birmingham given the right conditions.

sandhurstbee

Mar 24, 2017, 1:14 PM

Post #22 of 24 (2181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On Brentford Website, work officially started this week on clearing the site before new build ready for August 2019

garethwrexy

Mar 25, 2017, 11:17 AM

Post #23 of 24 (2058 views)
Shortcut

How are things off the pitch for Brentford these days ?

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 29, 2017, 5:23 PM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #24 of 24 (1804 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Brentford Terracing to stay another season. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Indeed - there would be little point or enjoyment in Keeping Right On if the place where they are supposed to do that was in any way sanitized.

Bring back Mark Dennis and Robert Hopkins!!!

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3