Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Cheadle Rovers FC

Ashton49Pieman
Junior Team Sub

Mar 17, 2017, 11:03 PM

Post #1 of 11 (2649 views)
Shortcut
Cheadle Rovers FC Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cheadle Rovers played in the Manchester League in the 1950s which at the time was very strong below Lancashire Combination, Cheshire County League.

Its constituent teams were drawn from Manchester/ North Staffordshire /Cheshire and include Reserve sides od Ashton United/ Stalybridge /Hyde Buxton Newton Heath Loco and Man city A & Man Utd A (Busby Babes) & Leek Town / Ball Haye Green from Staffs. Also I believe Cheadle Rovers were from Staffs - a good team and if memory serves me right played in Orange/White

I have tried without success to find much of the Manchester League or Cheadle Rovers history - Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 17, 2017, 11:17 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #2 of 11 (2643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashton49Pieman] Cheadle Rovers FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought the team was based in Cheadle Hulme.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Sub

Mar 17, 2017, 11:59 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #3 of 11 (2625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Cheadle Rovers FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Before my time, but I believe they played at what is now Cheadle Town's ground in Cheadle (Cheshire) where the main stand, much patched up, still dates from that era.
After they folded Manchester City took over the ground and then Grasmere Rovers, who I think had been groundsharing at Glossop, moved in and changed their name to Cheadle Town in the very late seventies (?).

Ashton49Pieman
Junior Team Sub

Mar 18, 2017, 4:53 AM

Post #4 of 11 (2590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Cheadle Rovers FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the replies to my query, which sheds a little light,.

I only raised the question because being young at that time. my Grandad said they were a team from Cheadle Staffordshire between Stoke and Ashbourne (like Leek Town and Ball Haye Green) From League tables they appeared to be promoted as Manchester Amateur League champions 1953/54 and went on to dominate Manchester League (which was semi -pro ) as Champions in quite a few years until their disappearance in 1965/66 but not able to locate where they played

Now comes the intriguing part because there are 2 Cheadle Towns in existence today :-

1. Cheadle Town - North West Counties League playing in Cheadle Stockport - formed as Grasmere Rovers 1961 with a name change to present in 1984 - before Cheadle Rovers disappeared ! !

2. Cheadle Town - Staffordshire Coounty Senior League playing at Thorley Drive Cheadle Staffordshire, with a Reserve Team in a Lower Division (when started not known)

Just to confuse matters more Staffs Co Sen. Lge also has a team called Cheadle South Moorlands United from the Stoke area so I am little further forward.

It appears that Cheadle Rovers for all their success disappeared in 1966 but Grasmere Rovers had already started in 1961 to evolve into Cheadle Town - Stockport

But I cant establish when Cheadle Town - Staffordshire started and no History of Manchester League can be traced. The info to clear up these questions can probably only be ascertained from a League Handbook of that time - but thanks for your replies

bmccoll
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 18, 2017, 5:12 AM

Post #5 of 11 (2588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashton49Pieman] Cheadle Rovers FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

League tables can be seen HERE

http://www.scottish-football-historical-archive.co.uk/

GRIFFON
First Team Regular

Mar 18, 2017, 9:24 AM

Post #6 of 11 (2554 views)
Shortcut

This may be of a little help, an article I wrote for our programme a few years ago.

170) CHEADLE ROVERS

As obscure clubs go, Rovers take some beating, to be honest they left little behind them although their ground is now used by Cheadle Town who have made many improvements. What we do know is that Cheadle is situated on the outskirts of Stockport in Lancashire and that Rovers were members of the Manchester League in the 1950s and 60s being quite successful during those years.
Research in the past few days has shown that a club named Cheadle F.C. had one season in the Manchester League in 1938-39 but so far the first mention of Cheadle Rovers is in 1953-54 when they were members of the Manchester Amateur League for two seasons before joining the Manchester League in 1955. From the evidence it can be presumed that Rovers were founded after the Second World War.
After two decent seasons in the Manchester League Rovers took it by storm, they were champions in 1957-58 and 1958-59, third in 1959-60 then champions again in 1960-61 and the following season. Backing them up the Reserve Team were Runners-up in Division Two in 1959-60 and again in 1962-63! After finishing eighth in 1965-66 Cheadle Rovers left the league and resumably folded because Manchester City used their Park Road Stadium as their training ground and during the 1966 World Cup Portugal trained there, Eusabio and all!
I was lucky enough to obtain a programme some years ago, it is the only one I have seen or have had knowledge of but in truth it is a glorified team sheet! Four pages with their Manchester League honours on the front cover plus a small ad., the team line-ups are across the centre pages and a large advertisement on the whole of the back cover. The price is six old pence and may have been the price of admission with the programme thrown in! With their Manchester
League championships listed the issue would have been from between 1962 and 1965, Manchester University were the visitors. Of particular note is the fact that a club by the name of Denton were in Division Two, no doubt they had to hide the refreshments when Jack Frost turned up to watch!

Ashton49Pieman
Junior Team Sub

Mar 18, 2017, 6:51 PM

Post #7 of 11 (2511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Cheadle Rovers FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Many thanks for the info of early history, tables and info. I have also confirmed that Cheadle Rovers were from Cheadle Stockport- so they and Grasmere Rovers must have been running simultaneouslyand when Rovers finally called it aday, Grasmere filled the vacuum and changed name to Cheadle Town at that time

Many thanks to all who helped with this problem

TonyP
Junior Team Sub

Apr 16, 2017, 1:24 PM

Post #8 of 11 (1851 views)
Shortcut

I have an original handbook from the Manchester Amateur League for the 1955/56 season.

On page 33 it states that Cheadle Rovers Reserves played in the South Division.

The secretary was Mr. B. Spooner of 109 Councillor Lane Cheadle, Gatley.

Team colours were Red shirts with white sleeves and white shorts.

They played at Park Road in Cheadle.

So clearly the team came from the Cheadle area of Stockport and not Staffordshire.

In addition, the honours list on page 74 shows Cheadle Rovers winning Division One of the M.A.L. in 1953/54 and 1954/55.

Hope this helps.

Ashton49Pieman
Junior Team Sub

Apr 16, 2017, 8:05 PM

Post #9 of 11 (1803 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyP] Cheadle Rovers FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Many thanks for all the info . Cheadle Rovers colours could well have been Red/White. As a youngster I seem to remember them in Orange/white but this was at Ashton United Res whose colours were also Red/White

TonyP
Junior Team Sub

Apr 17, 2017, 6:25 PM

Post #10 of 11 (1744 views)
Shortcut

In 1951/52 Cheadle Rovers played in the Manchester Amateur League D1 but I don't have final tables.

They played Manchester United Colts on the 20th October away wining 2-1 and a week later beat the Colts 3-2 in the return fixture at home.

In 1952/53 Cheadle Rovers finished 14th in the M.A.L D1 with a record of P32 W10 D4 L18 Pts 24.

They played Manchester United Colts at home on 13th December losing 1-2 and played the return on the 26th of March losing 0-6.

Finally, in 1953/54, Cheadle Rovers won the Manchester Amateur League with a record of P32 W24 D6 L2 Pts 54.

They played Manchester United Colts away on 31st October and drew 1-1 and then won 2-1 in the return fixture at home on 6th February.

They would also have competed in the M.A.L Cup competition which was the Alfred Pettitt Cup although I don't have any info on their progress.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Apr 18, 2017, 7:47 AM

Post #11 of 11 (1679 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyP] Cheadle Rovers FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Finally, in 1953/54, Cheadle Rovers won the Manchester Amateur League with a record of P32 W24 D6 L2 Pts 54.

They also won the Manchester Amateur League in 1954-55 -

SEASON 1954-55
DIVISION 1
1 CHEADLE ROVERS 26 22 2 2 46
2 ADELPHI LADS CLUB 26 20 2 4 42
3 HULME LADS CLUB 26 19 3 4 41
4 HEYWOOD ST JAMES 26 15 3 8 33
5 ARNFIELD 26 14 3 9 31
6 ALDERLEY EDGE BRITISH LEGION 26 11 3 12 25
7 DUKINFIELD TOWN 26 10 4 12 24
8 WALKDEN TOWN 26 8 6 12 22
9 HANS RENOLD 26 8 6 12 22