INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
The Future of Tram travel

robert1988
Youth Team Star

Mar 17, 2017, 12:09 AM

Team(s): Grantham Town, Manchester City, Rangers, The New Saints, Knighton Town.

Post #1 of 10 (1553 views)
Shortcut
The Future of Tram travel Can't Post or

With the Midland Metro extending to Wolverhampton Railway Station, Brierly Hill and Possibly Coventry, I was wondering if maybe tram travel was the way forward. The Midland Metro trams are being converted to Battery so overhead wires are not needed on the full route.
I was thinking maybe the Nottingham Tram could be extended to Derby to make it a East Midland Metro, City to City like the West Midlands. With all the delays in electrification, I actually like the idea of more trams.
All Big Cities should draft out a plan for a metro style system, Stoke would be ideal as I think it needs something like a tram to link all the towns. Before you say anything, I think the South Wales and North Wales metro plans are crap and confusing to read whether its a tram, train or bus route.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 17, 2017, 9:40 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 10 (1489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robert1988] The Future of Tram travel [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Plans are to link Nottm and Derby with the trams eventually. I love them personally and to think we ripped up all of those tracks in the 50s/60s and now many local authorities have put them back or are looking at ways of doing so.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 17, 2017, 11:35 AM

Post #3 of 10 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] The Future of Tram travel [In reply to] Can't Post or

Sadly it won't work in a number of cities as the streets are just to narrow and I can't see listed buildings being demolished for trams and overhead wires.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Mar 17, 2017, 12:44 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #4 of 10 (1424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] The Future of Tram travel [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Doncaster MBC did trials of a trolley bus system in the 1980's. This trail lasted a few months but was abandoned. A handful of train stations have been reopened and run sprinter trains into Doncaster and this is the nearest the town will get to the return of trams.

Isaac

Mar 17, 2017, 3:12 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #5 of 10 (1363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] The Future of Tram travel [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sadly it won't work in a number of cities as the streets are just to narrow and I can't see listed buildings being demolished for trams and overhead wires.

I don't know if you've ever been to Lisbon but there are some incredibly narrow streets there which trams weave their way through without a problem.

I use Croydon Tramlink quite often and it really is excellent and there have been suggestions of an extension to Sutton. Hopefully lessons will be learnt following the tragic accident last year?

It really is criminal the way tram lines were ripping up years ago.

(This post was edited by Isaac on Mar 17, 2017, 3:26 PM)

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 17, 2017, 5:31 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] The Future of Tram travel [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Sadly it won't work in a number of cities as the streets are just too narrow and I can't see listed buildings being demolished for trams and overhead wires.

I don't know if you've ever been to Lisbon but there are some incredibly narrow streets there which trams weave their way through without a problem.

My kind of tramway:

acmold

Mar 17, 2017, 5:55 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] The Future of Tram travel [In reply to] Can't Post or

I personally would love to see a modern version trundling through the streets of Oxford, I bet it will never happen as there is campaign to ban buses from the City centre.

Rob North
First Team Star

Mar 17, 2017, 7:17 PM

Team(s): Didcot Town, Reading

Post #8 of 10 (1257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] The Future of Tram travel [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In recent years we've found pretty much the same in the likes of Prague, Budapest, Vienna and Zurich. All have narrow streets in places, but the trams are great ways of getting about and seeing the city.

bakis
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 17, 2017, 7:35 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #9 of 10 (1241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rob North] The Future of Tram travel [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's a pity that the government forced the abandonment of the Leeds, Bristol and Portsmouth area schemes a few years ago. In the present local government financial situation, and in the knowledge of the Edinburgh financial fiasco, it's difficult to see any new schemes getting of the ground at present. It's therefore to the credit of Manchester and Nottingham (& to a limited extent the West Midlands) that extensions have been achieved and are proving their worth.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 17, 2017, 8:34 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #10 of 10 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakis] The Future of Tram travel [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought this thread was going to be about the expectorating hopper from Garstang and his mobility issues. Phew!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3