Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Famine In East Africa - Time For GMO Crops?

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 15, 2017, 10:23 PM

Post #1 of 16 (1842 views)
Shortcut
Famine In East Africa - Time For GMO Crops? Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm sure that many of us will have seen today's news about the terrible situation in East Africa.

20 million people across Sudan, Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia are in danger of starving to death and this crisis sadly shows no signs of abating.

Is it now not time to drop the ban on GMO foods like Golden Rice which could help to keep these people from starvation?

There are a lot of scare stories about so-called 'Frankenfoods' but the reality is that species have crossed their genes throughout time. Indeed, a Sea Urchin has about 70% of Human genomes, so why the commotion about how mixing DNA is wrong? Indeed, some people (Patrick Moore, the founder of Greenpeace) go as far as to say that Humans themselves are 'genetically modified'.

The world's poor are suffering - is it time for a GMO re-think?

Eastbourne
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 16, 2017, 8:31 AM

Team(s): Chelsea,Eastbourne clubs

Post #2 of 16 (1793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] Famine In East Africa - Time For GMO Crops? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm sure that many of us will have seen today's news about the terrible situation in East Africa.

20 million people across Sudan, Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia are in danger of starving to death and this crisis sadly shows no signs of abating.

Is it now not time to drop the ban on GMO foods like Golden Rice which could help to keep these people from starvation?

There are a lot of scare stories about so-called 'Frankenfoods' but the reality is that species have crossed their genes throughout time. Indeed, a Sea Urchin has about 70% of Human genomes, so why the commotion about how mixing DNA is wrong? Indeed, some people (Patrick Moore, the founder of Greenpeace) go as far as to say that Humans themselves are 'genetically modified'.

The world's poor are suffering - is it time for a GMO re-think?

Most importantly, given Patrick Moore’s insistence that he is a founder of Greenpeace, is this statement by the organization:

Patrick Moore Did Not Found Greenpeace

Patrick Moore frequently portrays himself as a founder or co-founder of Greenpeace, and many news outlets have repeated this characterization. Although Mr. Moore played a significant role in Greenpeace Canada for several years, he did not found Greenpeace. Phil Cotes, Irving Stowe, and Jim Bohlen founded Greenpeace in 1970. Patrick Moore applied for a berth on the Phyllis Cormack in March, 1971 after the organization had already been in existence for a year.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 16, 2017, 3:57 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #3 of 16 (1698 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] Famine In East Africa - Time For GMO Crops? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't see what wrong with GM crops and, as a vegan, I feel ashamed of the fact that a minority of vegans (whose motives are baffling) waste their time campaigning against GM crops.

Having said that, it needs to be made clear that famines in Africa today aren't caused by a lack of GM technology there. The main cause of these famines is war. War results in whole populations being forced to move away from their homes and therefore are unable to plant their crops. They may find themselves in areas where resources like clean water and food are scarce. Sending food aid does not always help, as militias and warlords tend to get to it before civilians (or at least those supporting the opposing side) do, and they also block access to relief agencies. The best thing you can do to prevent famines is to stop wars from happening.

It is particularly interesting to note that as well as the predictable areas in East Africa, another place sufffering from famine is north-east Nigeria. Nigeria is extremely wealthy compared with most other mid-African countries (Lagos in particular is in the process of being largely rebuilt in order to turn it into something approaching the standards of an European city) but this hasn't stopped it from suffering famine. The blame for this can be placed squarely on the Islamic terrorist group known as Boko Haram who have been oppressing their fellow Muslims. The overstretched Nigerian army, while having made some gains recently, cannot guarantee access to food aid from the wealthy and largely Christian south. All this goes to show that talk of GM crops is largely irrelevant at the present time.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Mar 16, 2017, 4:00 PM)

Uncle Ian
Youth Team Sub

Mar 16, 2017, 9:13 PM

Post #4 of 16 (1610 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Famine In East Africa - Time For GMO Crops? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As someone who knows Africa well and has lived there, the answer to many of the problems raised here lies with the ludicrous modern day philosophy of being "politically correct."
The worse thing that ever happened to the continent was for the European nations to pull out leaving vacuums all over the place.

In Reply To

In Reply To

windydcfc

Mar 16, 2017, 9:26 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #5 of 16 (1601 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Uncle Ian] Famine In East Africa - Time For GMO Crops? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As someone who knows Africa well and has lived there, the answer to many of the problems raised here lies with the ludicrous modern day philosophy of being "politically correct."
The worse thing that ever happened to the continent was for the European nations to pull out leaving vacuums all over the place.

In Reply To

In Reply To

So leaving was worse than invading and plundering?

Uncle Ian
Youth Team Sub

Mar 17, 2017, 12:41 AM

Post #6 of 16 (1526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Famine In East Africa - Time For GMO Crops? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If you knew and understood Africa you wouldn't make such stupid ignorant comments such as this

windydcfc

Mar 17, 2017, 7:08 AM

Post #7 of 16 (1486 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Uncle Ian] Famine In East Africa - Time For GMO Crops? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If you knew and understood Africa you wouldn't make such stupid ignorant comments such as this

Stupid! Really? So white man came and civilised the black man did he? We showed them the benefits of slavery, genocide, stole there ancestral lands & much much more. But obviously I don't understand Africa & the worst thing to ever happen to Africa was we left? I'm not going to cast insults like you have, because I don't think it wins any arguments & just adds to them.

Uncle Ian
Youth Team Sub

Mar 17, 2017, 9:02 AM

Post #8 of 16 (1467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Famine In East Africa - Time For GMO Crops? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You really don't have a clue

windydcfc

Mar 17, 2017, 9:51 AM

Post #9 of 16 (1451 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
You really don't have a clue

Have the Europeans left Africa as a basket case? Yes! Whose fault is it? The black mans? No! The white mans? Yes! Unless you can actually back your statements up with some actual debate then your posts are just pointless platitudes.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 17, 2017, 10:05 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #10 of 16 (1443 views)
Shortcut
Famine In East Africa - Time For GMO Crops? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And what have the Romans ever done for us, Reg..

dottirofhod

Mar 17, 2017, 10:47 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #11 of 16 (1425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Famine In East Africa - Time For GMO Crops? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They've taken everything, from our fathers fathers fathers fathers father.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 132/ 108 / 24(You know my rules) @ 12 /12 /2018.(Only 9 x 0-0's)

Project TFTTUEFAG's2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).
Need - 108 ( 15.2%).

Uncle Ian
Youth Team Sub

Mar 17, 2017, 2:31 PM

Post #12 of 16 (1360 views)
Shortcut

Really? Have you lived in Africa? Travelled the continent? Seen the tribal vengences? As soon as Mugabe got hold of Zimbabwe there was mass extermination of the 17% of the N'bele tribe which lived there. Remember Idi Amin? Patrice Lumumba?
Sorry sonny. Anyone who gets their international views from the Daily Mirror or other such rags deserves to be told they have not got a clue.

jrev61

Mar 17, 2017, 2:38 PM

Team(s): None

Post #13 of 16 (1357 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Famine In East Africa - Time For GMO Crops? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surely the main cause of famine in Africa is over-population. War is often a symptom of this. It is not uncommon for African women to give birth to more than 10 children, although most will not survive to see their 5th birthday. The arid land they inhabit, just cannot support that number of people. There is no hope of addressing this problem in the foreseeable future as it would mean going against the religious beliefs of most of the people involved, also contraception is not usually available. India and China have recognized this problem and taken steps to limit population growth.
I have no problem with GMO crops and they will probably help fight famine in a limited way.

jrev61

windydcfc

Mar 17, 2017, 3:12 PM

Post #14 of 16 (1347 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Really? Have you lived in Africa? Travelled the continent? Seen the tribal vengences? As soon as Mugabe got hold of Zimbabwe there was mass extermination of the 17% of the N'bele tribe which lived there. Remember Idi Amin? Patrice Lumumba?
Sorry sonny. Anyone who gets their international views from the Daily Mirror or other such rags deserves to be told they have not got a clue.

I know exactly what happened in Zimbabwe. But who left the continent with discontent & resentment? That'll be the white man! If we'd never invaded, taken over & exploited these countries. Then Idi Amin, Patrice Lumumba & Mugabe would never have ruled the country? Unless you can actually come up with a valid reason why we invaded & took control of most of the continent. Then there is no point carrying this conversation on. Anyway I'm in my late 40's so please refrain from calling me sonny. I don't but any daily newspapers, so my views are my own. I doubt you'll answer the question that I posed & will probably post an answer that suits your narrative & add a condescending remarkUnimpressed

jrev61

Mar 17, 2017, 3:38 PM

Team(s): None

Post #15 of 16 (1341 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I know exactly what happened in Zimbabwe. But who left the continent with discontent & resentment? That'll be the white man! If we'd never invaded, taken over & exploited these countries. Then Idi Amin, Patrice Lumumba & Mugabe would never have ruled the country? Unless you can actually come up with a valid reason why we invaded & took control of most of the continent. Then there is no point carrying this conversation on. Anyway I'm in my late 40's so please refrain from calling me sonny. I don't but any daily newspapers, so my views are my own. I doubt you'll answer the question that I posed & will probably post an answer that suits your narrative & add a condescending remarkUnimpressed

Not sure why you list Patrice Lumumba as one of the 'bad guys'. He was overthrown by the CIA because of his alleged communist leanings. His replacement in the Congo (Zaire)was the evil Mobutu.

jrev61

windydcfc

Mar 17, 2017, 3:43 PM

Post #16 of 16 (1340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Famine In East Africa - Time For GMO Crops? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Not sure why you list Patrice Lumumba as one of the 'bad guys'. He was overthrown by the CIA because of his alleged communist leanings. His replacement in the Congo (Zaire)was the evil Mobutu.

I never said they were good or bad guys. Just that they wouldn't have ruled there countries, if we'd never tried to rule & exploit the continent.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3