Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
England to be banned from international football?

derekn
First Team Star

Feb 3, 2017, 5:45 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #1 of 19 (5157 views)
Shortcut
England to be banned from international football? Can't Post or Reply Privately

BBC are reporting that the government are pursuing a vote of no confidence in the FA.

My understanding is that political interference in football associations is against FIFA rules, and we could find ourselves suspended from their competitions.

My view is that governments should leave football alone.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 3, 2017, 6:19 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #2 of 19 (5141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] England to be banned from international football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
BBC are reporting that the government are pursuing a vote of no confidence in the FA.

My understanding is that political interference in football associations is against FIFA rules, and we could find ourselves suspended from their competitions.

I agree, politicians should stick to what they do best, looking after their own self interests.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 3, 2017, 7:04 PM

Post #3 of 19 (5125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] England to be banned from international football? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Think we now know why Blatter and Co had that rule. FIFA has been blown apart and their rules count for nothing now.

The F.A have so many problems is it any wonder questions are going to be asked. The F.A have buried there heads for so long overlooking scandal after scandal. Be it Fat Sam or Kiddy fiddling to back handers and obscene wages in times of austerity.

Tim

Feb 3, 2017, 8:19 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #4 of 19 (5095 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] England to be banned from international football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

So do you have a good plan for reforming the FA? Or are you happy with things as they are?

The sooner the government step in, the better, in my view. The FA have farted around for too long. Time for a change.

derekn
First Team Star

Feb 3, 2017, 8:26 PM

Post #5 of 19 (5090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] England to be banned from international football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, great idea. Football run by people who know nothing about it (and I don't mean the FA). What changes would a Tory government make other than trying to ban it, either directly or indirectly?

Tim

Feb 3, 2017, 8:30 PM

Post #6 of 19 (5085 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yes, great idea. Football run by people who know nothing about it (and I don't mean the FA). What changes would a Tory government make other than trying to ban it, either directly or indirectly?

So your alternative is? Leave it alone?

Why do you think a Tory government would ban football? Doesn't make any economic sense to me.

derekn
First Team Star

Feb 3, 2017, 8:32 PM

Post #7 of 19 (5084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] England to be banned from international football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They've always been against it. Think Maggie and the Taylor Report.

Tim

Feb 3, 2017, 8:38 PM

Post #8 of 19 (5078 views)
Shortcut

I still await your views on the FA. Is it OK? Does it need change? How will you do it?

I think things have moved on a little since Thatcher and Taylor. We live in a different world, one in which lots of money is made from football. Where is your evidence that the Tories are still 'against' football?

derekn
First Team Star

Feb 3, 2017, 8:41 PM

Post #9 of 19 (5073 views)
Shortcut

I'm more anti-Government than pro-FA. My point originally was that we were risking being banned.

Tim

Feb 3, 2017, 8:48 PM

Post #10 of 19 (5067 views)
Shortcut

I'm sure I'm as anti-Tory as you, and I take your point. But I would like to see the FA sorted out, and I can't think of any other way of doing it. I think staying in international football (in the short term at least) is less important than having a national body that runs football for all in a proper manner.

If the problem can be sorted out without government involvement, great. But I just can't see how that can happen.

derekn
First Team Star

Feb 3, 2017, 8:55 PM

Post #11 of 19 (5063 views)
Shortcut

I'm not really sure that having more minority/female representation in places of authority would be of any great help. This seems to be the main objection that the government have and the reason for the motion.

Tim

Feb 3, 2017, 8:58 PM

Post #12 of 19 (5062 views)
Shortcut

I agree that it won't help if it's just being done to tick EO boxes. Hopefully it will be more than that.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 3, 2017, 9:55 PM

Post #13 of 19 (5044 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by mick [In reply to] or Reply Privately

Ropemaker

Feb 3, 2017, 10:28 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #14 of 19 (5017 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Has North Korea got an exemption from this rule?

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Feb 3, 2017, 10:31 PM

Post #15 of 19 (5012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] England to be banned from international football? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Well at least if the English were banned from international football it would mean the players wouldn't have to pretend to give a shit anymore. Or most of us, come to that who can't even be bothered to pretend to give one.
The whole thing is a complete farce with the FA run from grass roots up by ancient old twats who only hang about for the free trips to Jersey or where ever for crucial U18 County Cup matches.

007Dale
First Team Star

Feb 4, 2017, 6:29 PM

Post #16 of 19 (4872 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I have not one ounce of respect for FIFA and therefore their Non-medling Government rule.

The FA needs reform, if it won't do it, the Government should.

I see a ban from the ridiculousness of the World Cup and its pandering to all as a bonus.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 6, 2017, 2:10 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #17 of 19 (4677 views)
Shortcut

Holding (or even passing) a vote of no confidence in the FA is not interference. It is just an expression of opinion. The FA might feel more obliged to reform itself after such an opinion was expressed but, unless the government attempts to impose rules on the FA or take it over, this is a non story.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 9, 2017, 6:34 PM

Post #18 of 19 (4521 views)
Shortcut

MPs pass vote of no confidence:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38920489

They didn't really need to bother having a discussion. All they had to do was listen to Radio 5 today just after 5pm and listen to the rambling 80-something Derbyshire representative:
"Parliament should fix the NHS instead of discussing us."
"England aren't any good because the FA didn't appoint Brian Clough as manager in 1974."

It'll be available on the BBC website later.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Feb 9, 2017, 6:48 PM)

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Feb 9, 2017, 6:57 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #19 of 19 (4512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] England to be banned from international football? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If we agree that the FA needs reform, I'm afraid that those elected to represent us (!!!???) at Westminster seem spectacularly ill-qualified (expenses scandals, being able to employ members of your family, behaviour at PMQs etc etc) to deliver that reform.

In some ways the job of the FA has become too over-arching and we need to think what do we need governing bodies for. A bit like in cricket where the rule making body is separate to the body that runs the first class game, is separate again from that which runs the amateur game etc (mind you cricket hasn't got it right totally)

So I'd say we need

1. A law-making/overseeing body also responsible for discipline.

2. A body to look after the PL

3. A body to look after Championship to National N/S

4. A body to look after all footy below that

5. A body to look after women's footy (yes I Know in an ideal world they should be integrated - but that's not happening any time soon)

6. A body to look after schools footy

7. A body to look after international footy.

Now this isn't arguing for 7 FAs!!! This is the skeleton for a single body but with powerful subcommittees. the tricky bit is getting folk with experience who aren't 'blazers', folk with enthusiasm who aren't club-biased and folk who can command respect in a world where 'show us yer medals' is often the key test.

So I'm open to suggestions - should we go down the cricket line and have an overall supremo from outside like Lord McLaurin, or the tennis line where there's a healthy and combative mix of sponsors, agents and former and present players?

But anyone apart from those self-seeking spongers (of all stripes) who absorb our money whilst wallowing in the hugely-subsidised bars and restaurants of Westminster deciding on the colours of their new duck house, and claiming for irons and ironing boards on expenses.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3