Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Belarus visa

T P Johnson
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 11, 2017, 2:22 PM

Post #1 of 17 (4023 views)
Shortcut
Belarus visa Can't Post or Reply Privately

will no longer be required for UK passport holders as long as you fly to Minsk and stay for a period of 5 days or less.
This starts from Feb 9 2017.
Info on the Belarus Embassy website
Should be good for a weekend or UEFA midweek games
Great news even better if train journeys from Poland were included

Tim Johnson

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 11, 2017, 2:46 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 17 (4012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [T P Johnson] Belarus visa [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

And longer stays.

Season 2017/18.
Below obviously only first team mens (open age) adhering to FIFA rules .
Competitive games from July 01 , 2017.

(Up to & inc 20 / 08 / 2017.
26 / 22 / 04 / PSPD 1.

kirby knitters

Jan 11, 2017, 5:59 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #3 of 17 (3949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Belarus visa [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Or rail journeys from Vilnius to Minsk visa free would be great as they are only about 130 miles apart.

Barbie
First Team Sub

Jan 11, 2017, 8:15 PM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #4 of 17 (3897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Belarus visa [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Drove back from Vilnius through Belarus after the Zalgiris v Barry Cup Winners Cup game in 1994. Truly the scariest 24 hours of my life.

youngster
First Team Star

Jan 12, 2017, 9:41 AM

Team(s): Felixstowe & Walton Utd

Post #5 of 17 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for that Tim. Belarus was the one Country putting me off completing UEFA, I'll make the effort now.

parsonx
Junior Team Sub

Jan 13, 2017, 3:27 PM

Team(s): SUNDERLAND/SCOTLAND

Post #6 of 17 (3592 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
will no longer be required for UK passport holders as long as you fly to Minsk and stay for a period of 5 days or less.
This starts from Feb 9 2017.
Info on the Belarus Embassy website
Should be good for a weekend or UEFA midweek games

Tim Johnson

Been to Belarus twice watching Scotland.the first time was an eye opener,Flew to vilnius as it was cheaper than a direct flight,visas were aquired from the embassy in london and were only valid for 8 hrs which we thought was more than enough time to get in watch the game and get back out again.How wrong we were ,the coach we hired was held up at the border crossing for 3 hrs then a fast drive to the teams hotel in minsk to pick the match tickets up and change money as it was a closed currency.we were told by the SFA official not to change more than $10 as we would not have time to spend it all,quite right they were ,bottles of vodka for the coach trip back were bought and we still had thousands of roubles left over.several years later i put the remaining notes on ebay and received 10 times more than what i paid for them.Second time we travelled to Warsaw and cought the overnight sleeper train across again a visa was required from the embassey but in warsaw the day before .

kirby knitters

Jan 13, 2017, 3:53 PM

Post #7 of 17 (3581 views)
Shortcut
Re: [parsonx] Belarus visa [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Aeroflot seem to do some flights at under £200 but going via SVO so i take it a transit visa would be required.?

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Jan 13, 2017, 4:10 PM

Post #8 of 17 (3562 views)
Shortcut

Not if you just change planes and don't leave the airport surely, you'd just stay airside and get on the connection?

I also did the Warsaw train route which was good fun at the border when you get shunted off into a workshop and they jack up the carriage body to switch the bogies to change gauge. We had visas in advance from the London embassy but they didn't take long to arrive. Did have to buy local insurance from an agent who came on the train at the border but it was a couple of quid.

We liked Minsk, nowhere near as grim as had been painted. Had a couple of days in Brest too. The war memorials there are something else.

kirby knitters

Jan 13, 2017, 4:45 PM

Post #9 of 17 (3546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Belarus visa [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I did Kiev in 06 when they scrapped visas and Minsk has always been on the list but i couldn't be bothered after the hassle of queuing at embassy for Moscow visa.

I asked about transit visa as the normal forms have to be filled in if heading to NZ via LA in case airport has to be evacuated for any reason. Just thought it may be the same but in the case of Russia a fee may well be payable.

EDIT.
Transit visa required if travelling via Russia no matter how long the airport stay is.

(This post was edited by kirby knitters on Jan 14, 2017, 10:24 AM)

brb
Youth Team Star

Jan 16, 2017, 9:46 PM

Team(s): SG Dynamo Dresden, FC Stahl Brandenburg

Post #10 of 17 (3268 views)
Shortcut

You dont need a transit visa for russia, if you just change planes at the same (moscow) airport - no problem, they have that transit channels ... used it a lot of times

transit visa needed if changing from, e.g., Domodedovo to Vnukovo Airport ... its a real transit on road ;-)

kirby knitters

Jan 16, 2017, 9:59 PM

Post #11 of 17 (3265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brb] Belarus visa [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looked at visa requirements for Belarus via Moscow.

Stop over times are crazy and i take it an airport change would be needed if using Aeroflot from Heathrow so when i get around to it i'll be looking at alternative airline.

A real shame BA don't do direct flights.

brb
Youth Team Star

Jan 16, 2017, 10:07 PM

Post #12 of 17 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Belarussian State airline Belavia has an direct London-Minsk flight, but ~ 140 GBP oneway

Lufthansa offers returns via FRA / MUC under 170 GBP.

(This post was edited by brb on Jan 16, 2017, 10:09 PM)

kirby knitters

Jan 16, 2017, 10:17 PM

Post #13 of 17 (3239 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Belarussian State airline Belavia has an direct London-Minsk flight, but ~ 140 GBP oneway

Lufthansa offers returns via FRA / MUC under 170 GBP.

An absolute bargain from Lufthansa.

I take it these visa changes are avaiable to you as well?

brb
Youth Team Star

Jan 16, 2017, 10:35 PM

Post #14 of 17 (3220 views)
Shortcut

They are. Smile

B.t.w., the mentioned Lufthansa price is for London-Minsk-London, not Germany-Minsk-Germany.

kirby knitters

Jan 16, 2017, 10:39 PM

Post #15 of 17 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Yep i've done London-Frankfurt (o) a couple of times when going elsewhere. (if only)Sly

monty
Junior Team Star

May 21, 2017, 4:27 PM

Post #16 of 17 (1920 views)
Shortcut

Sunday 14 May 2017
Dinamo Minsk 1-0 Dinamo Brest
Belarusian Premier League

Direct flights from the UK are relatively expensive so I decided to travel via Vilnius. I used the money that I saved by doing so to ‘complete’ the Baltic States by ticking off Lithuania into the bargain.

My flight to Minsk from Vilnius was with the Belarusian national carrier, Belavia, and took less than 30 minutes – barely enough time to complete the immigration forms. Once you enter the airport you are confronted by stern border guards wearing impressive old-fashioned uniforms. I paid 2 Euros for obligatory medical insurance and had my passport scrutinised in fascinatingly elaborate detail, before being welcomed into Belarus.

After exchanging 50 Euros into Belarusian Rubles, I boarded a bus and took the hour long ride into Minsk city centre (ticket was £1.60). It was immediately obvious that very little signage is in the Roman alphabet, even when compared to Kiev. Very few people speak English – far less than in the Baltics, Bulgaria and Ukraine etc.

In order to reach the Traktor Stadium, home of Dinamo Minsk, I needed to take the Metro into the southern suburbs for this 3pm kick off. A plastic token costs 25p and the trains are very punctual. Signage is sometimes tricky though, so trial and error is often required by non-Russian speakers.

I had already purchased my match ticket online (£2) so entry to the crumbling and dirty old stadium was straightforward. There was plenty of pre-match entertainment on the concourse for young fans and the club shop was doing a roaring trade. Toilet facilities were somewhat lacking however… Only one side of the stadium was open to spectators and there was no cover whatsoever.

The official attendance was given at 4,750 but this is absolutely laughable… I would estimate that no more than 1,000 watched the match from inside the stadium (although around 250 were watching from a hillside).

The match itself was a tame and relatively low quality mid-table affair. In fact I was struggling to stay awake during the first half. A combination of travel, a fine lunch, the beautiful weather and the ugly football was not conducive to concentration. Neither did it help that the home fans were so unsupportive of their team. The 50-60 Brest Ultras did try to make some noise though.

The home side led 1-0 at the break following a close range effort on 11 minutes. Brest piled on some late pressure but never really looked like scoring. Fulltime: 1-0.

After a 10 minute walk to the Metro station I was soon back in Minsk city centre and enjoying post-match beers. I was surprised by the very wide variety of ales and lagers on offer.

I visited most of the main 'sights' in Minsk and had a really good, albeit brief, stay. Happy to help if anyone is thinking of visiting and needs some info

eesti7
First Team Sub

May 26, 2017, 11:56 AM

Team(s): Gillingham, Tonbridge

Post #17 of 17 (1635 views)
Shortcut
Re: [monty] Belarus visa [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Great Post! Brings back lots of memories for me as I saw loads of games there when I lived in Minsk. At one point three of the four capital top-flight sides (Dynamo, Dynamo 93 and Ataka) all played there.

It was immediately obvious that very little signage is in the Roman alphabet, even when compared to Kiev. Very few people speak English – far less than in the Baltics, Bulgaria and Ukraine etc. (This is changing, street signs and Metro announcements are/will be in English as well as Belarusian)

crumbling and dirty old stadium (I thought exactly the same in 1997, it's improved a lot since then!)

Toilet facilities were somewhat lacking (The only toilet block is outside the stadium as far as I recall but you could leave at half-time to use the facilities)

The official attendance was given at 4,750 but this is absolutely laughable… (The official attendances were always decided by the BFF official overseeing the game, and probably still are. I was at the Traktor Stadium in 1997 for a game that had an official attendance of 9,000 and entered the top 10 post-independence Belarusian league attendances. But it was rubbish, no more than 5,000 there. Once at Dnepr Mogilev I watched the game from the pavilion two seats along for the BFF official. I watched as he lent out the window, peered around and then wrote down what he considered the gate to be)

although around 250 were watching from a hillside. (I eventually ended up watching games from the park. Rucksacks/bags were banned from grounds and I always had something with me, so it saved having to leave it in the left-luggage, which was usually a bus with a granny as a security guard...)

Neither did it help that the home fans were so unsupportive of their team. (Dynamo Minsk ultras are boycotting games at the moment, which is why there wouldn't have been much atmosphere from the home fans. The ultras leader, who is nicknamed Puma, is currently serving a prison sentence on what the ultras consider to be made-up and possibly politically motivated charges. So their silence is their way of protesting. There are usually several hundred of them at home games)

Happy to help if anyone is thinking of visiting and needs some info (As with previous threads that I've started on Belarus, I'm also always happy to help anyone thinking of going to Minsk or beyond)

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3