Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS!!

First page Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next page Last page  View All

mxhornet
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 7, 2016, 7:22 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #451 of 462 (2411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Norfolk United - 58 Charnwood Sapphires - 46

Mizuno England Netball Premier League Division 3

Keith Nicholls Arena, UEA Sportspark

Attendance - 80 (rough headcount)

No admission charged or programme issued

I chose netball over football primarily so I could be home in time to watch Watford on TV. The 1230 start tied in nicely with the Bure Valley Harriers 10 miles I was running in which had a 0930 start. As it turned out most of the nearest footballing options were off anyway.

The game was between bottom of the table Norfolk United and Charnwood Sapphires one place higher in ninth, which out a win between them in their opening three games of the season. Charnwood had the better of the first quarter 11-9, before NU came right back in the second to lead 26-21 at half time. A tight third quarter saw NU edge out to 40-34, Charnwood made several changes for final quarter but to no avail as NU increased their lead in a goalfest of last quarter.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 700 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

Rob North
First Team Star

Nov 7, 2016, 9:40 PM

Team(s): Didcot Town, Reading

Post #452 of 462 (2293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Four in front of me John, I've got 17 to go, getting through them at about 1 a year currently! That said I did tick Aarau racecourse in Switzerland back in September which I suspect not many on here will have ticked!

Indeed I haven't been to Aarau, but...

Saturday 29 October
Champ de Mars racecourse, Port Louis, Mauritius

Thursday 3 November
Meydan racecourse, Dubai, UAE

On domestic matters, I have 10 UK courses left to visit but, like others, new visits have slowed of late given the distance to the remaining ones! I'm hoping to make some of them next year as well as visiting a couple of new countries in Europe and seeing some new courses in France and Ireland.

Well that's me well and truly trumped, twice over!

More mundane local stuff for me

Thursday November 3rd
MUSSELBURGH

Admission - Kelso reciprocal
Programme - 3 (same content as 2 at Kelso)

Decent prize money with a 17,000 feature, but the quick ground led to small fields.

CAPE OF GLORY who won the juvenile hurdle could be decent.

CLONALIG HOUSE was suited by teh quick ground and Tony Martin could return with this one over the winter as Mussleburgh generally has decent ground.

From the bumper note WEMYSS POINT who finished with a rattle to take second behind a fair winner in Senatus.

Cafe near the entrance is becoming a pain. Every time I go they advertise filter coffee for 2.20 but it's never available. Gave them for 2.20 for a 2.40 Americano and the staff didn't argue! Cheese and chutney sandwich is very good though!

Saturday November 5
KELSO
Admission - Member
Programme - 2 (not on glossy shiny paper but so what?)

Competitive enough racing but fairly low level stuff, though the standard at Kelso cranks up as we move into the winter.

Point-to-point winner LANSDOWNE ROAD stayed on steadily into third on his Rules debut in the novices hurdle and should be good enough to make a mark in minor races once he goes chasing.

Mark QUICK DECISSON down for a Class 4 handicap chase after decent run in a higher grade here.

CAPTAIN REDBEARD ran respectably in his second chase and can win a race before long. Worth noting if there's a market move for this one in coming races as Stuart Coltherd's winners normal have bit of market confidence behind them.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 10, 2016, 7:48 AM

Post #453 of 462 (2094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rob North] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 09-11-16 8pm
McCarthy Gems - 35 OC Chargers -20
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

Just late fixture for me this week, acting as scorer. As per last week Chargers started strongly and were level (6-6) at the end of the first quarter before Gems got in to their stride and led 18-10 at half time. A closer third period took the score to 26-16, Gems stretched ahead in the last quarter for a comfortable win.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 700 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 24, 2016, 6:35 AM

Post #454 of 462 (1566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 23-11-16 7pm
Trowse - 25 Easton -14
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

First part of last night's double header saw a rare win for Trowse, having raced to 6-1 lead Easton clawed it back to 7-7 by the end of the first quarter. Trowse again started the second quarter very quickly and established a lead going in 17-11 up at half time. The second half produced far less goals, 21-13 at three quarter time.

Wednesday 23-11-16 8pm
McCarthy Gems - 29 Rackheath Red -9
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer for this game. Gems took a while to get in to their stride leading 5-3 after first quarter. The lead had stretched out to 12-5 by half time. Following their most dominant quarter it was 22-6 after the third. A closer last quarter, but Gems were comfortable winners.

John403
Youth Team Sub

Nov 28, 2016, 1:29 PM

Team(s): Fulham, Tooting & Mitcham, AFC Croydon Athletic

Post #455 of 462 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Sunday 27 November 2016

Point to Point Horse Racing @ Cottenham

Admission Free (complimentary ticket) otherwise 13 each

First weekend of the point to point season, wasn't initially going to go but was kindly given a complimentary ticket by one of the sponsors Subaru.

Cottenham is about 7 miles from Cambridge, the course is the first I've been to at point to point level which has a permanent stand which gave a decent view as the course is totally flat.

I always seem to find some of the best entertainment at these places is the stuff that's said on the public address system, one of the race sponsors was a dog food company and some of the things the commentator said about the company were hilarious when I bet he hadn't even heard of them till that morning.

Unfortunately there were only 54 declared horses over the 6 race card and there were a few more that pulled out on the day leaving most of the races with very small fields and very short price favourites. This seems to be the case most the point to point meetings I go to.

(This post was edited by John403 on Nov 28, 2016, 1:34 PM)

mxhornet
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 2, 2016, 6:33 AM

Post #456 of 462 (1257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John403] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 30-11-16 7pm
McCarthy Gems - 20 Golden Girls -28
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer for this game. Gems started the better of the two sides leading 6-4 after first quarter. They led 14-11 by half time. GG improved dramatically and led 21-18 with a quarter remaining and extended their lead as their accuracy of shooting really began to tell.

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Dec 4, 2016, 5:17 PM

Post #457 of 462 (1128 views)
Shortcut

Some gaelic games news:

London's county headquarters at Ruislip are currently (finally!) being upgraded and good progress is being made.
https://twitter.com/...s/805342933914361857

The work won't be finished until late spring so all of London's 2017 National League fixtures in both codes will be played as away fixtures, with a reversed arrangement in 2018 when they will host all the fixtures. The plan is to have the place open again for the Connacht SFC game against Leitrim in May. Last time the two sides met in 2013, London won in Leitrim after a draw on their memorable run to the Connacht final.

One effect of the closure is that next weekend's All Ireland Club Senior Football quarter final between London's newly crowned champions St Kiernan's and Ulster champions Slaughtneil will take place at the Tir Chonaill Gaels ground (next door to North Greenford United's ground). The London club will have their work cut out against the Derry club who have just made GAA history by winning Ulster Club titles in football, hurling and camogie this season. Not bad strength in depth for a parish of only 300 homes. The match takes place at 1pm on Sunday 11th December. The clubhouse will have hot food and drinks, and a bar open.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 8, 2016, 7:13 AM

Post #458 of 462 (982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 07-12-16 7pm
Trowse - 10 OC Chargers - 27
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

OC dominated the scoring in the first quarter if not the play and led 7-0, Trowse "won" the next quarter to take the half time score to 12-6, OC again were better in the third quarter to make it 20-10. Another 7-0 quarter made sure Trowse wouldn't pick up any bonus points.

Wednesday 07-12-16 8pm
McCarthy Gems - 31 Watton Storm - 12
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer for this game. Was expecting a closer game than this, Gems led 8-2 at the end of the first period. A close second quarter brought up a half time score of 13-6. Both teams had their best quarter in terms of scoring in the third 23-11 by the break, Gems dominated last period.

Considering it should be random, this was the fourth time on the trot I'd scored a McCarthy Gems game. I'm down to do their game next week too !!

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Dec 11, 2016, 6:31 PM

Post #459 of 462 (870 views)
Shortcut

All Ireland Club Senior Football Championship quarter final
St Kiernan's (London) 0-05 2-11 Robert Emmets, Slaughtneil (Derry)

In the end it was a comfortable 12 point victory for the Derry and Ulster champions who go on to play Dublin's St Vincents, winners over beat Rhode of Offaly in today's Leinster decider.

The home side were clearly up for the game and started brightly, taking the game to their illustrious visitors. Indeed they scored the first point of the game. It took Slaughtneil about 10 minutes to equalise and they were making heavy weather of their passing game, and being wasteful up front shooting a number of wides. Just after the equalising point, the St Kiernan's keeper made a great block to save a certain goal. Shortly after this the hosts had their best chance of a goal but the ball just wouldn't fall fast enough twice, and was eventually cleared.

The game turned around the 20 minute mark, when a good fast move was neatly finished past the keeper for a goal, to move Slaughtneil 1-3 to 0-1 ahead. Then, within three minutes, the home keeper made about his only bad mistake of the day, misjudging a deflected shot, allowing a forward to nip in and fist the ball into the net. By this time Slaughtneil were playing well, passes were sticking, and tackles & interceptions being made. By the break, it was 2-05 to 0-01.

The second half started with a couple of home points, but it was no comeback and the visitors were happy to keep the score board ticking over regularly without having to do anything spectacular. St Kiernan's didn't help themselves by first conceding a black card for a late charge, and then a red card for a second booking leaving them down to 14 for the last dozen minutes.

So St Kiernan's were beaten but not embarrassed, and Slaughtneil have teams in three All Ireland Club semi finals early next year. Vincents will be a different kettle of fish, with a bench that would walk into most first teams, but not invincible. Should be an intriguing match.

The next action in London will be the All Ireland Club Intermediate Hurling Championship quarter final between the London champions Robert Emmets and Cloughmills of Antrim. This has been fixed for 1pm on Saturday 14 Janaury, again at Greenford.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 15, 2016, 7:26 AM

Post #460 of 462 (750 views)
Shortcut

Wednesday 14-12-16 7pm
McCarthy Gems - 35 Firemaidens - 9
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer for this game. Definitely a game of two halves, Gems led 8-1 after first quarter and the totally dominated the second to lead 25-1 at half time. The third quarter was much closer 7-4 in Gems favour and Firemaidens had the better of the last quarter by a goal.

Just the one game for me this week. No games now until 11th January.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 12, 2017, 6:56 AM

Post #461 of 462 (256 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Considering it should be random, this was the fourth time on the trot I'd scored a McCarthy Gems game. I'm down to do their game next week too !!

Back in to action after the Christmas and New Year break and lo and behold

Wednesday 11-01-17 8pm
McCarthy Gems - 15 Eagles - 43
City Academy Norwich
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer for this game. Was expecting a closer game than this, in fact I'd scored a drawn game between these two in September. Eagles raced to an early 6-1 lead before and tighter period before a late flurry of goals brought up a first quarter score of 12-3. A similar pattern to the next quarter gave Eagles a 26-7 half time lead. A familiar theme in third quarter as the lead extended to 36-9. The last period was more like what I'd been expecting all match long as late on Gems led the quarter 6-4 only for Eagles to deny them even a win of the final quarter as they finished on top 7-6 with a final score of 43-15.

PS it was bloody cold.

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2017, 4:49 PM

Post #462 of 462 (136 views)
Shortcut

All Ireland Intermediate Club Hurling Championship Quarter-final
Robert Emmets (London) 0-16 0-14 St Brigids, Cloughmills (Antrim)
at Tir Chonaill Gaels, Greenford.
No admission, programme 3, food and drink in the clubhouse.

A close, entertaining game in tricky conditions. After seeing that North Greenford United was off (literally the other side of the car park from the clubhouse) I kept a close eye on the web and twitter, but was reassured that the visitors had traveled so pressure would be on to play the game.

Despite a heavy shower as I parked up there was never any danger of this being off. The pitch was slippery but no worse than that and certainly didn't play any great part in the outcome. The rain stopped shortly after the start but it was cold throughout.

Cloughmills started strongly and went charging towards the home goal relentlessly for the first five minutes. Indeed their first point came from a 65 after forcing a defensive error. After that Emmets got into the game and the scores remained in close touch. Generally only a point or two in it, there were only a couple of periods late on in the game where the gap stretched to 3. The handling was surprisingly good for a game played on a cold day on a wet pitch. Cloughmills had a fairly physical approach but for the most part the game was played in the right spirit. The number of frees they gave away did, however, have real bearing on the game with most of Emmets' points coming from placed balls.

Level at 0-5 to 0-5 at the break, Emmets were a couple of points down in the dying minutes but managed to level in injury time at 0-10 a piece to send us into extra time. In the first period Emmets quickly went into a 3 point lead. Cloughmills desperately tries to get a goal, spurning a couple of easy opportunities for points. They did finally take one of them just before the turn around. On resumption Emmets again put another couple of points over to lead by three. Deep in injury time Cloughmills got a free just inside half way and had to go for goal. A fierce drive flew toward the top corner but whistled just over the bar instead of under it. The whistle came before the puck out could be taken to great celebrations by the home team but despair from the large and vocal visiting support.

Some great play, and fine scores on the day, but I think Emmets will have to up their game a bit in the semi finals when they have to travel to Tullamore (I heard people saying, though elsewhere seems to be unconfirmed) to take on Kilkenny and Leinster Intermediate champions Carrickshock in a couple of weeks.

(This post was edited by Wheelbarrow on Jan 14, 2017, 7:35 PM)

First page Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3