Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS!!

First page Previous page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next page Last page  View All

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Nov 7, 2016, 7:22 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #451 of 523 (6156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Norfolk United - 58 Charnwood Sapphires - 46

Mizuno England Netball Premier League Division 3

Keith Nicholls Arena, UEA Sportspark

Attendance - 80 (rough headcount)

No admission charged or programme issued

I chose netball over football primarily so I could be home in time to watch Watford on TV. The 1230 start tied in nicely with the Bure Valley Harriers 10 miles I was running in which had a 0930 start. As it turned out most of the nearest footballing options were off anyway.

The game was between bottom of the table Norfolk United and Charnwood Sapphires one place higher in ninth, which out a win between them in their opening three games of the season. Charnwood had the better of the first quarter 11-9, before NU came right back in the second to lead 26-21 at half time. A tight third quarter saw NU edge out to 40-34, Charnwood made several changes for final quarter but to no avail as NU increased their lead in a goalfest of last quarter.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 700 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

Rob North
First Team Star

Nov 7, 2016, 9:40 PM

Team(s): Didcot Town, Reading

Post #452 of 523 (6038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Four in front of me John, I've got 17 to go, getting through them at about 1 a year currently! That said I did tick Aarau racecourse in Switzerland back in September which I suspect not many on here will have ticked!

Indeed I haven't been to Aarau, but...

Saturday 29 October
Champ de Mars racecourse, Port Louis, Mauritius

Thursday 3 November
Meydan racecourse, Dubai, UAE

On domestic matters, I have 10 UK courses left to visit but, like others, new visits have slowed of late given the distance to the remaining ones! I'm hoping to make some of them next year as well as visiting a couple of new countries in Europe and seeing some new courses in France and Ireland.

Well that's me well and truly trumped, twice over!

More mundane local stuff for me

Thursday November 3rd
MUSSELBURGH

Admission - Kelso reciprocal
Programme - 3 (same content as 2 at Kelso)

Decent prize money with a 17,000 feature, but the quick ground led to small fields.

CAPE OF GLORY who won the juvenile hurdle could be decent.

CLONALIG HOUSE was suited by teh quick ground and Tony Martin could return with this one over the winter as Mussleburgh generally has decent ground.

From the bumper note WEMYSS POINT who finished with a rattle to take second behind a fair winner in Senatus.

Cafe near the entrance is becoming a pain. Every time I go they advertise filter coffee for 2.20 but it's never available. Gave them for 2.20 for a 2.40 Americano and the staff didn't argue! Cheese and chutney sandwich is very good though!

Saturday November 5
KELSO
Admission - Member
Programme - 2 (not on glossy shiny paper but so what?)

Competitive enough racing but fairly low level stuff, though the standard at Kelso cranks up as we move into the winter.

Point-to-point winner LANSDOWNE ROAD stayed on steadily into third on his Rules debut in the novices hurdle and should be good enough to make a mark in minor races once he goes chasing.

Mark QUICK DECISSON down for a Class 4 handicap chase after decent run in a higher grade here.

CAPTAIN REDBEARD ran respectably in his second chase and can win a race before long. Worth noting if there's a market move for this one in coming races as Stuart Coltherd's winners normal have bit of market confidence behind them.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Nov 10, 2016, 7:48 AM

Post #453 of 523 (5839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rob North] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 09-11-16 8pm
McCarthy Gems - 35 OC Chargers -20
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

Just late fixture for me this week, acting as scorer. As per last week Chargers started strongly and were level (6-6) at the end of the first quarter before Gems got in to their stride and led 18-10 at half time. A closer third period took the score to 26-16, Gems stretched ahead in the last quarter for a comfortable win.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 700 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Nov 24, 2016, 6:35 AM

Post #454 of 523 (5311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 23-11-16 7pm
Trowse - 25 Easton -14
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

First part of last night's double header saw a rare win for Trowse, having raced to 6-1 lead Easton clawed it back to 7-7 by the end of the first quarter. Trowse again started the second quarter very quickly and established a lead going in 17-11 up at half time. The second half produced far less goals, 21-13 at three quarter time.

Wednesday 23-11-16 8pm
McCarthy Gems - 29 Rackheath Red -9
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer for this game. Gems took a while to get in to their stride leading 5-3 after first quarter. The lead had stretched out to 12-5 by half time. Following their most dominant quarter it was 22-6 after the third. A closer last quarter, but Gems were comfortable winners.

John403
Youth Team Sub

Nov 28, 2016, 1:29 PM

Team(s): Fulham, Tooting & Mitcham, AFC Croydon Athletic

Post #455 of 523 (5185 views)
Shortcut

Sunday 27 November 2016

Point to Point Horse Racing @ Cottenham

Admission Free (complimentary ticket) otherwise 13 each

First weekend of the point to point season, wasn't initially going to go but was kindly given a complimentary ticket by one of the sponsors Subaru.

Cottenham is about 7 miles from Cambridge, the course is the first I've been to at point to point level which has a permanent stand which gave a decent view as the course is totally flat.

I always seem to find some of the best entertainment at these places is the stuff that's said on the public address system, one of the race sponsors was a dog food company and some of the things the commentator said about the company were hilarious when I bet he hadn't even heard of them till that morning.

Unfortunately there were only 54 declared horses over the 6 race card and there were a few more that pulled out on the day leaving most of the races with very small fields and very short price favourites. This seems to be the case most the point to point meetings I go to.

(This post was edited by John403 on Nov 28, 2016, 1:34 PM)

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Dec 2, 2016, 6:33 AM

Post #456 of 523 (5002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John403] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 30-11-16 7pm
McCarthy Gems - 20 Golden Girls -28
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer for this game. Gems started the better of the two sides leading 6-4 after first quarter. They led 14-11 by half time. GG improved dramatically and led 21-18 with a quarter remaining and extended their lead as their accuracy of shooting really began to tell.

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Dec 4, 2016, 5:17 PM

Post #457 of 523 (4873 views)
Shortcut

Some gaelic games news:

London's county headquarters at Ruislip are currently (finally!) being upgraded and good progress is being made.
https://twitter.com/...s/805342933914361857

The work won't be finished until late spring so all of London's 2017 National League fixtures in both codes will be played as away fixtures, with a reversed arrangement in 2018 when they will host all the fixtures. The plan is to have the place open again for the Connacht SFC game against Leitrim in May. Last time the two sides met in 2013, London won in Leitrim after a draw on their memorable run to the Connacht final.

One effect of the closure is that next weekend's All Ireland Club Senior Football quarter final between London's newly crowned champions St Kiernan's and Ulster champions Slaughtneil will take place at the Tir Chonaill Gaels ground (next door to North Greenford United's ground). The London club will have their work cut out against the Derry club who have just made GAA history by winning Ulster Club titles in football, hurling and camogie this season. Not bad strength in depth for a parish of only 300 homes. The match takes place at 1pm on Sunday 11th December. The clubhouse will have hot food and drinks, and a bar open.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Dec 8, 2016, 7:13 AM

Post #458 of 523 (4727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 07-12-16 7pm
Trowse - 10 OC Chargers - 27
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

OC dominated the scoring in the first quarter if not the play and led 7-0, Trowse "won" the next quarter to take the half time score to 12-6, OC again were better in the third quarter to make it 20-10. Another 7-0 quarter made sure Trowse wouldn't pick up any bonus points.

Wednesday 07-12-16 8pm
McCarthy Gems - 31 Watton Storm - 12
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer for this game. Was expecting a closer game than this, Gems led 8-2 at the end of the first period. A close second quarter brought up a half time score of 13-6. Both teams had their best quarter in terms of scoring in the third 23-11 by the break, Gems dominated last period.

Considering it should be random, this was the fourth time on the trot I'd scored a McCarthy Gems game. I'm down to do their game next week too !!

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Dec 11, 2016, 6:31 PM

Post #459 of 523 (4615 views)
Shortcut

All Ireland Club Senior Football Championship quarter final
St Kiernan's (London) 0-05 2-11 Robert Emmets, Slaughtneil (Derry)

In the end it was a comfortable 12 point victory for the Derry and Ulster champions who go on to play Dublin's St Vincents, winners over beat Rhode of Offaly in today's Leinster decider.

The home side were clearly up for the game and started brightly, taking the game to their illustrious visitors. Indeed they scored the first point of the game. It took Slaughtneil about 10 minutes to equalise and they were making heavy weather of their passing game, and being wasteful up front shooting a number of wides. Just after the equalising point, the St Kiernan's keeper made a great block to save a certain goal. Shortly after this the hosts had their best chance of a goal but the ball just wouldn't fall fast enough twice, and was eventually cleared.

The game turned around the 20 minute mark, when a good fast move was neatly finished past the keeper for a goal, to move Slaughtneil 1-3 to 0-1 ahead. Then, within three minutes, the home keeper made about his only bad mistake of the day, misjudging a deflected shot, allowing a forward to nip in and fist the ball into the net. By this time Slaughtneil were playing well, passes were sticking, and tackles & interceptions being made. By the break, it was 2-05 to 0-01.

The second half started with a couple of home points, but it was no comeback and the visitors were happy to keep the score board ticking over regularly without having to do anything spectacular. St Kiernan's didn't help themselves by first conceding a black card for a late charge, and then a red card for a second booking leaving them down to 14 for the last dozen minutes.

So St Kiernan's were beaten but not embarrassed, and Slaughtneil have teams in three All Ireland Club semi finals early next year. Vincents will be a different kettle of fish, with a bench that would walk into most first teams, but not invincible. Should be an intriguing match.

The next action in London will be the All Ireland Club Intermediate Hurling Championship quarter final between the London champions Robert Emmets and Cloughmills of Antrim. This has been fixed for 1pm on Saturday 14 Janaury, again at Greenford.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Dec 15, 2016, 7:26 AM

Post #460 of 523 (4495 views)
Shortcut

Wednesday 14-12-16 7pm
McCarthy Gems - 35 Firemaidens - 9
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer for this game. Definitely a game of two halves, Gems led 8-1 after first quarter and the totally dominated the second to lead 25-1 at half time. The third quarter was much closer 7-4 in Gems favour and Firemaidens had the better of the last quarter by a goal.

Just the one game for me this week. No games now until 11th January.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Jan 12, 2017, 6:56 AM

Post #461 of 523 (4001 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Considering it should be random, this was the fourth time on the trot I'd scored a McCarthy Gems game. I'm down to do their game next week too !!

Back in to action after the Christmas and New Year break and lo and behold

Wednesday 11-01-17 8pm
McCarthy Gems - 15 Eagles - 43
City Academy Norwich
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer for this game. Was expecting a closer game than this, in fact I'd scored a drawn game between these two in September. Eagles raced to an early 6-1 lead before and tighter period before a late flurry of goals brought up a first quarter score of 12-3. A similar pattern to the next quarter gave Eagles a 26-7 half time lead. A familiar theme in third quarter as the lead extended to 36-9. The last period was more like what I'd been expecting all match long as late on Gems led the quarter 6-4 only for Eagles to deny them even a win of the final quarter as they finished on top 7-6 with a final score of 43-15.

PS it was bloody cold.

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2017, 4:49 PM

Post #462 of 523 (3881 views)
Shortcut

All Ireland Intermediate Club Hurling Championship Quarter-final
Robert Emmets (London) 0-16 0-14 St Brigids, Cloughmills (Antrim)
at Tir Chonaill Gaels, Greenford.
No admission, programme 3, food and drink in the clubhouse.

A close, entertaining game in tricky conditions. After seeing that North Greenford United was off (literally the other side of the car park from the clubhouse) I kept a close eye on the web and twitter, but was reassured that the visitors had traveled so pressure would be on to play the game.

Despite a heavy shower as I parked up there was never any danger of this being off. The pitch was slippery but no worse than that and certainly didn't play any great part in the outcome. The rain stopped shortly after the start but it was cold throughout.

Cloughmills started strongly and went charging towards the home goal relentlessly for the first five minutes. Indeed their first point came from a 65 after forcing a defensive error. After that Emmets got into the game and the scores remained in close touch. Generally only a point or two in it, there were only a couple of periods late on in the game where the gap stretched to 3. The handling was surprisingly good for a game played on a cold day on a wet pitch. Cloughmills had a fairly physical approach but for the most part the game was played in the right spirit. The number of frees they gave away did, however, have real bearing on the game with most of Emmets' points coming from placed balls.

Level at 0-5 to 0-5 at the break, Emmets were a couple of points down in the dying minutes but managed to level in injury time at 0-10 a piece to send us into extra time. In the first period Emmets quickly went into a 3 point lead. Cloughmills desperately tries to get a goal, spurning a couple of easy opportunities for points. They did finally take one of them just before the turn around. On resumption Emmets again put another couple of points over to lead by three. Deep in injury time Cloughmills got a free just inside half way and had to go for goal. A fierce drive flew toward the top corner but whistled just over the bar instead of under it. The whistle came before the puck out could be taken to great celebrations by the home team but despair from the large and vocal visiting support.

Some great play, and fine scores on the day, but I think Emmets will have to up their game a bit in the semi finals when they have to travel to Tullamore (I heard people saying, though elsewhere seems to be unconfirmed) to take on Kilkenny and Leinster Intermediate champions Carrickshock in a couple of weeks.

(This post was edited by Wheelbarrow on Jan 14, 2017, 7:35 PM)

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Jan 19, 2017, 6:19 AM

Post #463 of 523 (3744 views)
Shortcut

Wednesday 18-01-17 7pm
Icenians 1 - 14 Eagles - 35
City Academy Norwich
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer, just the one game again this week. After a reasonably close first quarter Eagles led 8-5, however Eagles got in to their stride after the break and had extended their advantage to 22-9 by halfway. The third quarter carried on in a similar vein with score going out to 30-11, a closer low scoring last period brought up a final score of 35-14.

Cold again but not quite as bitter as last week.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Jan 27, 2017, 6:38 PM

Post #464 of 523 (3553 views)
Shortcut

Wednesday 25-01-17 7pm
Thoroughbreds Colts - 34 OC Chargers - 23
City Academy Norwich
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer, just the one game again this week. A very close first quarter was edged by Chargers 10-9, Colts comfortably turned things their way and led 22-14 at half time. Chargers had the better of the third period to close to 26-22, however Colts eased to a 34-23 win with a dominant last quarter.

John403
Youth Team Sub

Feb 1, 2017, 6:27 PM

Team(s): Fulham, Tooting & Mitcham, AFC Croydon Athletic

Post #465 of 523 (3445 views)
Shortcut

Wednesday 1 Feb 2017

Horse racing @ Hereford Racecourse

Admission 18

Racing resumed at Hereford last year after a break of several years in which they only had a few point to point meetings at the course. It always had the reputation of being one of the poorer courses facilities wise and whilst I think every racecourse has its merits I could kind of see why today.

The attendance was quite poor I thought even for a midweek meeting and the entrance I took into the course I had to walk though heavy mud. The racing was decent though and really competitive as always with Heavy going it pays to look closely at horses with winning records on it and most of today's winners had winning form on Heavy ground.

I'm sure one or two members on the forum watched Cricket in the middle of the racecourse in the past. Nowadays the middle of the course houses a pitch and putt golf course, two floodlight hockey pitches, an athletics track and a football pitch.

I don't know if there's any long term plans for the course but with the amount of new retail parks opposite the course and new build flats near by I would be surprised if this place survives.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Feb 2, 2017, 6:32 AM

Post #466 of 523 (3403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John403] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 01-02-17 8pm
Watton Lightning - 29 OC Chargers - 18
City Academy Norwich
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer, once again for an OC Chargers game, as with last week they held their own for lots of the game but lost by 11 goals. Watton led 8-2 after the first quarter, Chargers edged the second to trail 13-8 at half time. Watton regained their 6 goal lead by the end of the third period (20-14), Watton had the best of the last quarter to win 29-18 in the end.

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 2, 2017, 3:41 PM

Team(s): None

Post #467 of 523 (3383 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Wednesday 1 Feb 2017

Admission 18

Racing resumed at Hereford last year after a break of several years in which they only had a few point to point meetings at the course. It always had the reputation of being one of the poorer courses facilities wise and whilst I think every racecourse has its merits I could kind of see why today.

The attendance was quite poor I thought even for a midweek meeting and the entrance I took into the course I had to walk though heavy mud. The racing was decent though and really competitive as always with Heavy going it pays to look closely at horses with winning records on it and most of today's winners had winning form on Heavy ground.

I'm sure one or two members on the forum watched Cricket in the middle of the racecourse in the past. Nowadays the middle of the course houses a pitch and putt golf course, two floodlight hockey pitches, an athletics track and a football pitch.

I don't know if there's any long term plans for the course but with the amount of new retail parks opposite the course and new build flats near by I would be surprised if this place survives.

I have watched football at the racecourse, when Pegasus Juniors played there. The pitch was floodlit.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Feb 5, 2017, 9:02 PM

Post #468 of 523 (3262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 5th February 2017 1pm
Norwich City - 3 Barton - 3 (Norwich City won 4-2 on penalties)
EHA Men's Trophy Third Round
Taverham Recreational Facility
Attendance - 30

My first game of hockey, wasn't quite sure what to expect having only a basic understanding of the rules. A very competitive fixture throughout and far more questioning of the umpire's calls than I'd expected. Norwich took a very early lead before a quick brace turned it around for Barton by midway through the first half. Another goal each before half time maintained the visitors lead. With twenty minutes to go Norwich drew level, no further goals meant the tie was to be decided on penalties with no extra time to be played. Norwich won 4-2 with all of their penalties being successful whilst Barton hit the bar and ultimately fired straight at the keepers feet.

Norwich progress to the quarter finals whilst Barton return to Shobnall wondering what might have been.

It's unlikely I'll be a regular hockey goer if for no other reason than it is largely a Saturday game. However whilst checking out early games for Saturday 18th when I need to be at work for 1-30pm I have drawn a blank so far. Though I did find what I believe is a rare midweek fixture when Dereham Ladies take on Norwich Dragons 2 on Tuesday 21st, which is rather tempting.

ciderjon
First Team Star

Feb 6, 2017, 7:31 AM

Team(s): Bristol Sonics RL

Post #469 of 523 (3214 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Wednesday 1 Feb 2017

Admission 18

Racing resumed at Hereford last year after a break of several years

We are definitely racing next season, the dates are already published. The meetings before Christmas were very well patronised, but, as you say have tailed off since. Hopefully we shall race again Tuesday, should be OK as hasn't rained this weekend.

Last new B road: A lovely early morning in Ayrshire B-roading allowed me to complete the upgraded Dalry - Saltcoats road

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Feb 6, 2017, 8:08 PM

Post #470 of 523 (3154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

London Senior Hurling Championship Preliminary Round
Robert Emmets 2-16 2-13 Kilburn Gaels
at Tir Chonaill Gaels club, Greenford

An early start to the championship pitted the reigning champions Emmets against a Kilburn side who have won two titles since the start of the decade. Both teams started one short but served up some fine hurling on a soft but perfectly playable pitch. There were some fine scores on show including some points from distance, as well as some great hand passing and control on a cold day. Emmets were always in front but let a five or six point lead during the second half get eroded. Kilburn got to within two late on after their second goal, but a final point saw Emmets home.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Feb 9, 2017, 7:26 AM

Post #471 of 523 (3037 views)
Shortcut

Wednesday 08-02-17 7pm
Easton - 14 Watton Storm - 21
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer for this game. A far closer game than I'd expected Easton are a new team and have certainly improved since I last saw them play. Even so they are still struggling with some of the rules and might have pushed Watton closer if not for being penailsed so much.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Feb 16, 2017, 7:14 AM

Post #472 of 523 (2858 views)
Shortcut

Wednesday 15-02-17 8pm
Watton Storm - 31 Firebirds - 7
City Academy League
Norwich Winter League

Acting as scorer for this game. Second week running covering a Storm game, again easy winners. Firebirds looked quite competitive early on (11-4) first quarter, before the rain started to come down and scoring in general dried up. By the end it was rather wet on court with puddles forming.

mxhornet
Reserve Team Star

Feb 18, 2017, 3:38 PM

Post #473 of 523 (2785 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
It's unlikely I'll be a regular hockey goer if for no other reason than it is largely a Saturday game. However whilst checking out early games for Saturday 18th when I need to be at work for 1-30pm I have drawn a blank so far. Though I did find what I believe is a rare midweek fixture when Dereham Ladies take on Norwich Dragons 2 on Tuesday 21st, which is rather tempting.

Further research and a bit of leeway on start time at work resulted in me attending

Saturday 18th February 2017 12 noon
Carrow - 0 Norwich Dragons Thirds - 5
Empresa Norfolk Women's League Premier Division
Langley School
Attendance - 8

The logistics of hockey at 12 suited me better than football at 1030 today, so my second game came around quicker than I might have expected.

Carrow went in to the game having lost all 16 league games, scoring just 3 goals. The reverse fixture had been won 6-0 by the Dragons, who were third in the table at the start of play. However Carrow battled hard and even had several chances before falling behind 26 minutes in however two more goals before half time meant they were going to really struggle to get back in to the game. Dragons fourth came midway through the second half before completing the scoring with 10 minutes to go.

Langley School is a venue I've not been to before, apart from the single hockey pitch lots of other sports are catered for, there are numerous rugby and football pitches on site.

As things stand I'll take in my third game on Tuesday at Dereham.

(This post was edited by mxhornet on Feb 18, 2017, 3:40 PM)

rambler77
First Team Star

Feb 20, 2017, 4:25 AM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #474 of 523 (2709 views)
Shortcut

Sunday 19th February

LOUGHBOROUGH STUDENTS 2-6 EAST GRINSTEAD
(England Men's Hockey League Premier Division)

@ L.U. Water-based Hockey Pitch
Admission: 2 inc programme
Att: around 100
Hot drinks: 1

Decided on something different and watched my first hockey match for around 30 odd years. That was when I watched my mum play in the local Leicestershire League for the long defunct club Aquisians.

Spectators are allowed down one side of the cage and there is a small stand near the entrance. The Students have now lost all 13 games this season and are heading for a quick return back to the 2nd tier. Despite this it was a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon and well worth the 2. Really liked how fast and free flowing the game was with very little messing about regarding the free hits etc. Football could learn a lot from the sport in my opinion.

Two home games left for the Students - one on a Saturday evening (6pm) and one on a Sunday afternoon, and very tempting to go the latter.

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Feb 20, 2017, 10:03 PM

Post #475 of 523 (2652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rambler77] Where are you going - where did you go? OTHER SPORTS! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A weekend in south east Ireland for a hurling double

Saturday:
National Hurling League Div 1A
Cork 1-14 Dublin 2-19
at Pairc ui Rinn, adm E15, prog E3, att 6214

This weekend was the second round of games in the NHL. Cork were coming off the back of a good win against Clare, whereas Dublin had been thrashed by Tipperary, leading to pre-match odds of 1/5 for a home win, and 9/2 for the visitors. All seemed to be going as planned in the early stages as Cork raced into a 4-1 lead, with Dublin spilling the ball and giving away possession. About the 15 minute mark however, Dublin clicked and put a run of 11 unanswered points together including a goal, thoroughly rattling Cork. Cork didn't help themselves with some poor play, including persisting with short puck outs from the keeper which were frequently picked off, or led to trouble in midfield. The teams turned around with Dublin 4 points to the good at 1-07 to 1-11. Ironically Cork's goal was the best of the game, a fine passing move down most of the pitch. Things could have been worse though as Dublin also had a penalty brilliantly saved by Cork keeper Nash in the first half (he'd done the same the week before too). Their second goal came five minutes after the restart, making the gap six, and never looked like losing from that point. Dublin were reduced to 14 for the last 15 when Crumney was sent off for a second yellow, but it really didn't make any impact on the game.

Pairc ui Rinn is Cork's secondary county venue, but the only currently open one as the larger Pairc ui Chaoimh is currently being rebuilt. One side has a full length covered seated stand, the central sections with bucket seats, the flanks with bench seating. On the other side there is a covered terrace running about half the length of the pitch. The other half being occupied by dressing rooms and admin buildings. The ends are open terracing, one larger than the other.

Sunday:
National Hurling League Div 1A
Waterford 0-15 Tipperary 1-18
At Walsh Park, adm E12, prog, E3, att 7,344

Last week while Tipperary were putting 16 points on Dublin, Waterford went to Kilkenny and beat them for the first time since 2004. Waterford won the leage in 2015 and were runners up last year, but haven't quite made the jump to a meaningful challenge for the All Ireland title. Last year they reached the Munster final, but were on the end of a salutary 5-19 to 0-13 defeat by Tipperary. So after Tipp's fine start, all eyes were on this game as a barometer for the season ahead, and whether the home team's credentials would be better for still being hurling come August or even September. And in the first half it could not have been closer. There was never more than a point in it and the teams were level no fewer than ten times. They turned around at 0-10 to 0-11, the visitors holding the lead. Waterford had been wasteful though, and even the Tipp fan next to me conceded they should have been 3 to 4 points to the good. After the break, Tipp managed to put a run of points together and within 7 minutes of the resumption where four points to the good. They then had a penalty awarded but this was brilliantly saved by Regan in the Waterford goal. Then with 12 minutes to go, Tipp got their goal. A first effort was saved in equally impressive fashion, at full stretched, but the ball bounced up to allow John McGrath a relatively easy job to bat the loose ball into the net - harsh on Regan. Waterford then had probably their only solid goal effort but it was dealt with equally well by the Tipp keeper.

Walsh Park is a traditional venue with one main stand down one side containing bench seating, and cover for the back half of the rows. The other three sides are sloping banks with crush barriers of a type long since vanished at many sports grounds in Britain - not even any steps formed into them.

Two great games, and always a nice part of the world to visit. The drive between Cork and Waterford was also very pleasant. We stopped in Dungarvan one way, and in Youghal on the way back. The weather helped greatly, especially given how bad it had been the week before, with most of the match reports then making mention of the wind and rain and their effect on the games.

One small note on the ticket price variation: you can buy tickets on the day - League games will never sell out (barring the Kerry - Dublin football game in Tralee in March), but they are also available in certain Centra and SupaValue stores - not all: check both stores websites for a list of such branches. If you buy before the day of the match you get a discounted rate of E12, but purchases on the day cost the regular E15. We only flew in on the Saturday morning, hence the Cork were full rate, Waterford discounted. They are printed from a terminal so you can buy tickets for any game at any branch that sells them.

First page Previous page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3