First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ictoan
First Team Sub

Jan 6, 2017, 2:27 AM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 28 (2962 views)
Shortcut
Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground Can't Post or Reply Privately

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/05/millwall-admit-council-scheme-leave-lewisham?CMP=share_btn_tw

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will will Sussex and Sussex wont be druv.

The North begins at Gatwick.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jan 6, 2017, 5:29 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #2 of 28 (2944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ictoan] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

https://www.theguardian.com/...ham?CMP=share_btn_tw

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at www.leohoenig.com

kirby knitters
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 6, 2017, 9:38 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #3 of 28 (2900 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ictoan] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I first read about this story over a year ago and there is nothing new in what the paper has reported so I take it the club are just turning the heat up to get public support.

IAN S
First Team Star

Jan 6, 2017, 12:48 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #4 of 28 (2839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They should go and share the London Stadium with West Ham!

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

garethwrexy

Jan 6, 2017, 6:57 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #5 of 28 (2717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That go down well

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 6, 2017, 11:46 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #6 of 28 (2650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
That go down well

Yay! Let's have another thread about real or imagined trouble at grounds or maybe have a merged threat about rough pubs near rough grounds in rough towns

sandhurstbee

Jan 7, 2017, 11:55 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #7 of 28 (2540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
That go down well

Yay! Let's have another thread about real or imagined trouble at grounds or maybe have a merged threat about rough pubs near rough grounds in rough towns

Surely worth a revival on Original separate threads Wink

Last New Ground 2016/17 (9) 17/12/2016 Addlestone Moor ABBEY RANGERS 1 Walton & Hersham 1 - Combined Counties League Premier Division

ladderman

Jan 7, 2017, 12:26 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #8 of 28 (2528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That go down well
Well actually play there at the same time (unless they were playing each other, which is irrelevant) and given the amount of money that's been spunked making that white elephant into a (crap) football ground maybe a second club should be playing there.

UKPunk

Jan 8, 2017, 9:03 PM

Post #9 of 28 (2306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
They should go and share the London Stadium with West Ham!

Even better would be a merger of both clubs. West Millwall United? Sly

0-5-4-4-6-26-32-71-190-283=621

leohoenig
Administrator

Jan 11, 2017, 6:40 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #10 of 28 (2055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lewisham Council have decided to postpone the decision on CPO, originally scheduled today
http://www.bbc.co.uk/.../uk-england-38577838

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at www.leohoenig.com

Barnsley Dave
First Team Star

Jan 11, 2017, 9:23 AM

Team(s): Barnsley,Yorkshire C.C, ,,wherever I lay my hat

Post #11 of 28 (2021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If they'd had 22 on the pitch last Friday they might have made a game of it with Man City

garethwrexy

Jan 12, 2017, 9:49 PM

Post #12 of 28 (1810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barnsley Dave] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Love or hate millwall ground is nice

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jan 13, 2017, 8:59 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #13 of 28 (1682 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Love or hate millwall ground is nice

How? It's boring.

garethwrexy

Jan 15, 2017, 8:29 PM

Post #14 of 28 (1489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well in my view I like the ground still feels modern today

windydcfc

Jan 15, 2017, 9:08 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #15 of 28 (1474 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Derby's new ground the iPro is modern & soulless. I miss the terraced Baseball Ground days(pre all seater). It was cramped and full of atmosphere and I loved it.

dottirofhod

Jan 15, 2017, 9:11 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #16 of 28 (1468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I miss the lovely mud of the Baseball Ground.

Saw Newport on the highlights show last night what a dreadful pitch.

0-0-0-0-0-1-1-0-1-1.(4).

Season 2016/17.
Below obviously only first team competitive games from July 1 , 2016.
@ 20 /02 /17 ---- 140 / 111 / 29.

jon b
First Team Star

Jan 15, 2017, 11:43 PM

Team(s): Sheffield, Utd, Wed

Post #17 of 28 (1422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Derby's new ground the iPro is modern & soulless. I miss the terraced Baseball Ground days(pre all seater). It was cramped and full of atmosphere and I loved it.

My only visit to the Baseball Ground was when Revie's Leeds beat Clough's Derby 3-2 in 1973.

The "tackling" was somewhat fierce, occasionally the ball was in the vicinity. Distinct shortage of goodwill around. Shocked

Stood on the terraces amongst the Derby fans I didn't feel cramped so much as crushed and extricated myself well before the end of the game. Pirate

It was one of the couple of games featured on Match of the Day that Saturday so I caught the bits of violence I'd missed by leaving early. Though I'd have preferred to watch something kinder and gentler, like a war movie.

kirby knitters

Jan 16, 2017, 10:15 AM

Post #18 of 28 (1364 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Did you never do the old one down Cold Blow Lane Gareth? Now that was a proper football ground.

The number of new builds that I like can be counted on the fingers of one hand ( league and non-league)

I know clubs at all levels need to progress to thrive and in some cases survive but has no-one got any imagination when planning these places? And no FGR is not the answer!!Sly

stugg93
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 16, 2017, 7:59 PM

Team(s): Southampton, Shef Weds, Shef Utd, Ipswich, Blackfield & L, Hythe & Dibden

Post #19 of 28 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I like some of the new builds but I do agree in general most are a bit soulless. I think part of that is simply the lack of history, and that will develop over time but some of it is poor design. Southampton, Leicester, Coventry, Reading, Cardiff, Shrewsbury are examples I can think of where the design is a bit unoriginal. Leicester are however well renowned for the noise the fans generate and Coventry's stadium is very beautiful to be in too. When I think of a good new ground I think of Brighton's, but it's all about what you want from a match day. If you want the history and the variety, an old ground with pillars and hotchpot stands is going to be special, if you want a great view and not feel like a tinned sardine then a new ground is for you.

acmold

Jan 16, 2017, 8:06 PM

Post #20 of 28 (1259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stugg93] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Many new grounds still don't cater for those of use over six foot tall, certainly not in the lower tiers. Saying that nor do identikit stands, they lack leg room and height.

Eat 10 a day, you know it makes sense.

Chris1963
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 16, 2017, 10:28 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #21 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Did you never do the old one down Cold Blow Lane Gareth? Now that was a proper football ground.

I don't know how old Gareth is but it is nearly 24 years since Millwall played the last game there, so quite a few posters on this forum will be too young to have done it. You would need to be in your early 30's to have ticked it and also to be able to remember it.

kirby knitters

Jan 16, 2017, 10:35 PM

Post #22 of 28 (1192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Don't realise where the years have gone Chris. Very little chance 'young Gareth' ever visited the old ground.

blackdouglas
First Team Star

Jan 16, 2017, 11:55 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #23 of 28 (1169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I don't know how old Gareth is but it is nearly 24 years since Millwall played the last game there, so quite a few posters on this forum will be too young to have done it. You would need to be in your early 30's to have ticked it and also to be able to remember it.

Over the 91>93 period, when I was a 3rd & 4th year apprentice with the M.o.D. I remember watching the "New Den" going up while I was commuting in & out of London from Chislehurst.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

Barbie
First Team Sub

Jan 17, 2017, 10:54 AM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #24 of 28 (1094 views)
Shortcut

God, how I miss the old Den. An atmosphere I've never experienced anywhere else. It was extra special on a damp midweek night. On the walk from New Cross, there was a crackle in the air (probably the moisture on the railway). Then noise in the stadium was deafening and the home terrace felt like a community, incredibly diverse (given the club's reputation in the 80s, this surprised me when I first saw it), united in the 'No one likes us' camaraderie.
Exhilarating! Almost love it more than my beloved Jenner Park!

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jan 17, 2017, 2:37 PM

Team(s):

Post #25 of 28 (1037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Millwall May Be Booted From Their Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Many new grounds still don't cater for those of use over six foot tall, certainly not in the lower tiers. Saying that nor do identikit stands, they lack leg room and height.

To be fair, my experience is that new grounds are far better than older grounds. At Brammall Lane I had to sit sideways as the legroom was about half of the length of my legs...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3