Licensing Hours

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jan 2, 2017, 8:48 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #1 of 4 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Licensing Hours Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just been clearing out some old (70s/80s) Observer etc magazines, and as you do stopped to read some of the articles and adverts.

One in particular took my eye as an ad from Whitbread about the life of one of their typical publicans, which went a bit like ...

Get ready to open up at 12, serve the lunchtime crowd, then close when things get quiet around 2:30. Afternoon gave me time to restock, get food ready, get the kids from school before opening up again at 5:30 for the folks who like a swift one after work. A bit of a rush to 7, quiet until 9ish and then the crowds built up before closing time at 11, everyone out by 11:30, a tidy up and off to bed by midnight.

Yes I know about the 11 o clock swill, but apart from that doesn't that all seem a much more civilised way of organizing a drinking culture - or am I just hopelessly wallowing in Ney Year nostalgia? Has the last decade or so of relaxed licensing opening times been a good thing?

BigJR
Reserve Team Star

Jan 2, 2017, 4:23 PM

Team(s): Chelsea, Corinthian Casuals

Post #2 of 4 (1100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Licensing Hours [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As an 'older' drinker, I have to say that the current licensing laws are a God-send to the current strong lager swilling yobs. The police must absolutely hate having to cover pubs with late night drinking licenses, (as seen on TV !)

In my proper drinking days, it was 10am to 2.00. Then 6 to 10.30, and 11pm Fridays and Saturdays.

Sundays, 12 to 2pm then home for Sunday roast before 7 to 10.30 if you managed to wake up.

I definitely preferred the 'Good Old Days' !

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 2, 2017, 5:03 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #3 of 4 (1093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigJR] Licensing Hours [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As an 'older' drinker, I have to say that the current licensing laws are a God-send to the current strong lager swilling yobs. The police must absolutely hate having to cover pubs with late night drinking licenses, (as seen on TV !)

In my proper drinking days, it was 10am to 2.00. Then 6 to 10.30, and 11pm Fridays and Saturdays.

Sundays, 12 to 2pm then home for Sunday roast before 7 to 10.30 if you managed to wake up.

You could always find a pub that served outside these hours & I took advantage of this benefit. One of those pubs, was the Coppers regular haunt & they took advantage of the Friday afternoon lock-ins.

BigJR
Reserve Team Star

Jan 2, 2017, 5:57 PM

Team(s): Chelsea, Corinthian Casuals

Post #4 of 4 (1076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Licensing Hours [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

You could always find a pub that served outside these hours & I took advantage of this benefit. One of those pubs, was the Coppers regular haunt & they took advantage of the Friday afternoon lock-ins.

I have to agree that even in the good old days in dear old London Tarn, you could, if driving, or rich enough to afford cabs, drink round the clock.

Smithfield Market, Covent Garden market, London Docks and then west end clubs in the evening/night. Anyone remember Charlie Browns near the docks in East End ?

Unfortunately, I wasn't rich enough, though in days gone past. The 24 hour drinker was a challenge similar to todays Tube Challenge.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3