101 things to get up to in Yorkshire

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 1, 2017, 11:20 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #51 of 68 (2260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Struggling to help you there. Can't remember the last time I went in a pub.

That happens to me too Cool

:-)

Come to think of it, I too have memories of a romance involving a pub in the Hebden Bridge area: The Woodman. The girl was much prettier than the surroundings. Out of business now, I noted on a recent drive down the Calder Valley. The pub, that is.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 1, 2017, 11:21 PM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 1, 2017, 11:31 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #52 of 68 (2250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The pub I'm on about was, as the name might suggest, on top of a hill with extensive views across the (Calder?) valley.
Website says it closed as a pub in 1999 and I'd expect my ex is also no longer open for business.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 1, 2017, 11:37 PM

Post #53 of 68 (2245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The pub I'm on about was, as the name might suggest, on top of a hill with extensive views across the (Calder?) valley.
Website says it closed as a pub in 1999 and I'd expect my ex is also no longer open for business.

Yes, it overlooked the Calder Valley. Nice view for bed & breakfasters.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 2, 2017, 3:20 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #54 of 68 (2221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yorkshire, as a county, has always appeared to be a bit sorry for itself having
lived in the shadow of its cross border betters - Lancashire - since 1485.

To be honest, I didn't realise how few and far my visits were until seeing this thread.

Been through it twice by van/coach - on the way to Bedlington and Berwick - which
from memory was a bit underwhelming and having had a quick scan of the
map, I can only tick five towns/grounds.

Goole - a bit like Tilbury; with life but not as we know it.
Huddersfield - it was dark and the Sunday game was a blur while suffering the hangover from hell.
Scarborough - reminded me of a big Jaywick but with a couple of decent boozers.
York - must admit that's got plenty going for it.
Hull - Boothferry Park in January reminded me of a scene from John Carpenter's 'The Fog'.

Now, if only 'Colors' [sic] man Ken Nordine had produced an album called 'Counties' -
his evaluation of Yorkshire would have been a total blast...

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Aug 2, 2017, 6:39 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #55 of 68 (2206 views)
Shortcut

Catching up with FL's post from last night - thanks for the good news re Fartown's survival as a sporting venue.

I first went there just before the ill-fated Barracudas fiasco, when crowds of around 300 rattled round in a place that had held about 50 times that. Never got to sit in the main stand tho - which always seemed to be a fine old 1930s kind of place.

Can vaguely remember a doomed attempt to get Yorkshire League Cricket back on the adjacent square, under the leadership of Barry Wood.

re the name's double entendre possibilities, seem to remember the Jockey Club not allowing then-coach Alex Murphy to name his nag "Fartowner" for similar reasons.

But all in all good news RL still at a fine ground, and a justification for visiting a fine pub.

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 2, 2017, 10:32 AM

Team(s): None

Post #56 of 68 (2161 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On my only visit to Fartown,( a huge win over Trafford Borough), a kick for touch hit the guttering of the stand roof causing a shower of rust and debris to fall upon a family group unwise enough to be sitting at the front of the stand.
There didn't seem to be any injuries, but they needed to get replacement cups of tea!
The programme oddly had rounded corners!

jrev61

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 2, 2017, 11:50 AM

Post #57 of 68 (2137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The much reduced circumstances of modern Fartown:

https://www.flickr.com/...jU299k-jU3HG1-dz3fCH

https://www.flickr.com/...U299k-jU3HG1-dz3fCH/

The cricket square also survives. It is now used for junior amateur rugby league. The mock Tudor pavilion is privately owned.

https://www.flickr.com/...jU299k-jU3HG1-dz3fCH

A programme with rounded edges was another legacy of the John Bailey/Barracudas era. Always smiled at the way Fartown's PA announcer of the time referred to 'Udizfield Barryqueueduz' when reading through the line-ups... Ian Thomas, the Second Division's Martin Offiah, was a shining light amid the gloom. What a player. Looking back on those lean years, it's hard to believe where 'Fartown' are now.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 2, 2017, 11:56 AM)

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Aug 2, 2017, 12:03 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #58 of 68 (2125 views)
Shortcut

Ian Thomas...there was a player. Wally Gibson too.

And then there were wild rovers like Andy Dickinson

You never knew if the fearsome or fragile team would turn up in claret and amber.

By chance rather than design saw what I believe was the final professional game at Fartown.

It had all ended at the end of the previous season - but then Hudds were drawn against Ryedale York in the Preliminary Round of the Yorkshire Cup - so I felt I had to go one last time.

From memory Hudds won a poor game, with Simon Kenworthy scoring the final points I believe - but I'm sure someone will put me right.

Thanks for those images...the dereliction of 25 years (mind you the terracing wasn't in great condition when the ground was still open, and one of the gents "urinals" was a brick wall open to the sky.)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 2, 2017, 12:03 PM

Post #59 of 68 (2125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Been through it twice by van/coach - on the way to Bedlington and Berwick - which

Always useful to have input from a knowledgeable source...

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 2, 2017, 12:07 PM

Post #60 of 68 (2121 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Wally Gibson too.

Ian Laybourn, for several seasons the Huddersfield Examiner's Fartown reporter and latterly PA's rugby league correspondent, has many good stories to tell about Wally's off-the-field escapades!

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 2, 2017, 12:07 PM)

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Aug 2, 2017, 11:31 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #61 of 68 (2028 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wigan, then.

After checking with a friend, the recommended cafe is the Whistlestop, near the bus station, where they do a bin lid full English breakfast for a very reasonable price, and you may overhear a conversation, complaining how soft rugby league has become when a player gets penalised for kicking another in the head.

Favoured pubs or bars are the Anvil, again near the bus station, and Wigan Central, a more modern bar, which is just the other side of the viaduct from North Western station (and has electronic departure boards for both stations inside!). On my last visit, I was also impressed by the Tap and Barrel, down Jaxon's Court, which is an entry near the bus station.

The town centre is very compact, so it would be easy to get to all these places if you were so inclined.

(This post was edited by Sale Holmfield on Aug 2, 2017, 11:32 PM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 3, 2017, 10:07 AM

Post #62 of 68 (1978 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Cool

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 3, 2017, 10:20 AM

Post #63 of 68 (1971 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Cool

Cool

If Tilbury is anything like ghastly Goole, I must cross it off my 'must visit' list. Grays and Purfleet were bad enough!

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 3, 2017, 10:20 AM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 3, 2017, 12:00 PM

Post #64 of 68 (1952 views)
Shortcut

As an adult, I visited 'Ghoul' [sic] before Tilbury and the
latter deffo comes out on top in the English town's shit list....

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 3, 2017, 12:03 PM

Post #65 of 68 (1950 views)
Shortcut

Oh, Goole would make even Welcome to Yorkshire's Top Five Worst Places in the county. Thankfully, Goole isn't representative of Yorkshire, as anyone who travels widely, with an open mind, would agree. I worked for a while with a lass who'd grown up in Goole. Unsurprisingly, she said she couldn't wait to get away at eighteen.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 3, 2017, 12:05 PM)

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 3, 2017, 10:02 PM

Post #66 of 68 (1892 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
As for your choice of Cheshire/Lancashire towns: hell's bells; good luck with those dumps!

Dobcross & Uppermill are within the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham and have some fine pubs. Mind you, it probably helps that they used to be in Yorkshire and Yorkshire Day is still celebrated .

bomaya
First Team Star

Aug 6, 2017, 2:47 PM

Team(s): Merstham and Chelsea

Post #67 of 68 (1772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Again, any recommendations from all fine Kempsterites for other pubs, beers, greesy-spoon cafes, chip-shops, record shops, junk shops and any of the other sort of stuff I enjoy wasting my time and money on will be gratefully received/reply]

As someone who visits Yorkshire every few weeks and is moving up there next year, I have a few thoughts:

Jumbo Records and Crash Records (Leeds)
The Sparrow Cafe (Bradford)
Bolton Abbey (not in Bolton)
Aysgarth Falls
Haworth
Harrogate (has some nice pubs)

My memory is poor but I'm sure I could think of some more suggestions if you need them.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 15, 2017, 4:01 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #68 of 68 (1540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
With your interest in canals I would recommend a visit to Bingley five rise locks, described as a staircase of locks raising the boats up 60 feet more details here of that and others in the Pennines which might be of interest :- www.penninewaterways.co.uk

Thanks for that, Dave!

I got out to the Bingley five rise locks late on Thursday afternoon last week, a visit sandwiched in between a trip on the Keighley & Worth Valley railway and a couple of pints in Saltaire, walking down to it from the bridge at Crossflatts.

It is a very spectacular piece of engineering and architecture, not as vast as the flight of locks at Caen Hill near Devizes, but much steeper and more immediately dramatic. There is a nearby plaque saying it was built in 1774 - at that time it must have been the equivalent of man flying to the moon, as suddenly you could get huge quantities of wool from Bradford to Manchester by boat (then on to Liverpool and off around the world), rather than little quantities on slow horse-drawn wagons. In fact I doubt anyone ever made money out of flying to the moon (Buzz Aldrin's tiresome books aside!) - the creation of Bingley Five Locks helped turn Bradford into one of the richest cities in the world.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3