First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 28, 2016, 10:18 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #1 of 68 (6017 views)
Shortcut
101 things to get up to in Yorkshire Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm off on holiday to Yorkshire in February (from 10th to 20th, spending five nights in Sheffield, then five nights in Bradford). The main reason is to tick Sheffield Wednesday's ground - February 2017 will mark forty years of attending football matches for me, and Wednesday were the visitors on that very first trip down to Fratton Park, so a fitting tick I feel. However, there is plenty more I intend to do, with the plan so far being...

Definitely tick Sheffield Wednesday,

Probably tick most/some of Scunthorpe Utd*, Barnsley, Rotherham Utd, Leeds Utd and Bradford City,

Day visits to Chesterfield*, York and Saltaire,

Visit the National Railway Museum in York,

Visit the site of the Battle Of Towton near Tadcaster,

Maybe a rugby league match on the Friday night.

What I'd be very grateful for is any good recommendations from other Kempsterites on the forum of other things I shouldn't miss while there. Also greatly appreciated would be any suggestions of:

Good pubs,

Good beers,

Greasy-spoon cafes,

Proper record shops,

Non-league grounds not to be missed,

Good suggestions for my usual Sunday morning pub-football fix,

Anything to do with canals or railways,

Other ideas for days out in Yorkshire.

Many thanks in advance. All suggestions and ideas will be gratefully received!

* ...I realise that neither Scunthorpe or Chesterfield are in Yorkshire, but recommendations of pubs, cafes etc in these places will also be most welcome. Smile

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 28, 2016, 10:26 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #2 of 68 (6010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Frickley Athletic.

acmold

Dec 28, 2016, 10:35 AM

Post #3 of 68 (6001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or

Keithley & Worth Valley Railway plenty of exhibitions and a museum plus Bronte Country. Keithley's Rugby League. Guiseley FC if only for the pies.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Dec 28, 2016, 12:09 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #4 of 68 (5961 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I stay quite regularly in Huddersfield which I consider to be one of the best drinking towns in England. Should you or anyone need accommodation try here :- www.thecambridgehotel.com
I have stayed here many times. Vey close to the town centre with free parking and a walk of less than 10 minutes from the rail station. Now has 94 rooms and is still scoring 8.8 out of 10 on booking.com.

Back to pubs. Those marked with * are GBG 2017. Try any or all of the following :-

Start at the station. Kings Head Bar* at one end of the platform and Head of Steam at the other. 19 handpumps and you haven't even left the station!! Cross the concourse of the impressive station, turn left under the railway bridge and about 100 yards on the left is The Sportsman*. They normally have 8 beers on .Turning back towards the centre, still on John William St you will find the spoons, The Cherry Tree, usually at least 8 beers on always including a stout or porter, often Elland 1872 or Saltaire triple choc. Wood street runs parallel and is home to The Wood Street Craft Beer House. 4 beers nearly always available.

A short walk down St. Peter's Street is The Vulcan. Music venue in the evenings but an ideal place to eat lunchtime, huge meals for under £4 thoroughly recommended and 6 hand pumps available. Also in the centre is the Recently opened bar called The Corner in Market Walk. This is the Mallinsons brewery tap which I visited on Christmas Eve, 7 hand pumps, two serving their own brews and 5 guests.

Out of the centre but 5 minutes from the Cambridge is Magic Rock Brewery Tap in Willow Lane. not visited yet but certainly will on my next visit, apparently serves 3 Magic Rock Beers and many craft beers on keg.

Saving the best to last is my favourite crawl, just 3 pubs but 42 handpumps!! The Grove* on the corner of Merton St and Spring Grove St. has 19 handpumps and a vast array of craft and world beers. The Rat and Ratchet* on Chapel Hill, home of the Rat brewery has 13 handpumps, some for Ossett beers, others for their own and guests, quite often one for cider. Last and my personal favourite is The Star* in Albert St, 5 minutes from the Rat and worth the effort. Real pub 10 beers always excellent.

Hope that is of use. 12 should be enough. Could call it Dave's dozen, Enjoy!

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 28, 2016, 12:13 PM

Post #5 of 68 (5957 views)
Shortcut

Visit Timothy Taylor's brewery.

jon b
First Team Star

Dec 28, 2016, 12:46 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #6 of 68 (5944 views)
Shortcut

Worth checking on the Towton Battlefield Society website for the dates they're doing guided walks round the site. I found the place atmospheric, just like Flodden Field.

In Sheffield there's the National Emergency Services Museum situated in an old police and fire station

http://www.emergencymuseum.org.uk

Conisbrough Castle is well worth a visit.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/.../conisbrough-castle/

Unfortunately, in the Winter season opening times of local attractions are limited and some are closed altogether. Haddon Hall for instance, which I very much would recommend you visiting when you get chance, isn't open until 8 April.

In terms of non league grounds there is, of course, Hallam FC's slight slope Angelic and Stocksbridge Park Steels' Bracken Moor is a fine ground.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Dec 28, 2016, 1:30 PM

Post #7 of 68 (5924 views)
Shortcut

Also worth a visit is Saltaire Village a UNESCO World Heritage Site :- www.saltairevillage.info

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 28, 2016, 1:30 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #8 of 68 (5923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Keithley & Worth Valley Railway plenty of exhibitions and a museum plus Bronte Country. Keithley's Rugby League. Guiseley FC if only for the pies.

*Keighley* (although it is pronounced as you spelled it)

Haworth is a lovely town in the heart of Bronte country, and Skipton is worth a visit. The National Media Museum is an interesting place to while away a couple of hours, and it's right in the middle of Bradford. Not far away is Centenary Square, which is a really impressive centrepiece to the city centre, and includes one of the Bradford fire memorials (the other is at Valley Parade).

BigJR
Reserve Team Star

Dec 28, 2016, 1:40 PM

Team(s): Chelsea, Corinthian Casuals

Post #9 of 68 (5913 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PROPER Yorkshire puddings !!

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Dec 28, 2016, 1:48 PM

Post #10 of 68 (5910 views)
Shortcut

With your interest in canals I would recommend a visit to Bingley five rise locks, described as a staircase of locks raising the boats up 60 feet more details here of that and others in the Pennines which might be of interest :- www.penninewaterways.co.uk

pitch 63
First Team Star

Dec 28, 2016, 2:27 PM

Post #11 of 68 (5894 views)
Shortcut

Whilst in Bradford have a really good Indian meal.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 28, 2016, 3:24 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #12 of 68 (5864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Maybe a bit out of your way but Mother Shipton;s Cave at Knaresborough, Eden Camp at Malton and while in Malton you can explore the Moors. For food the Harry Ramsdens original restaurant in Guiseley, although it is not the original owners anymore.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

acmold

Dec 28, 2016, 3:26 PM

Post #13 of 68 (5864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

*Keighley* (although it is pronounced as you spelled it)

Haworth is a lovely town in the heart of Bronte country, and Skipton is worth a visit. The National Media Museum is an interesting place to while away a couple of hours, and it's right in the middle of Bradford. Not far away is Centenary Square, which is a really impressive centrepiece to the city centre, and includes one of the Bradford fire memorials (the other is at Valley Parade).

Phone auto correct, tried it a number of times and kept defaulting. Seems sometimes you just can't override it no matter how you try.

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Dec 28, 2016, 3:50 PM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #14 of 68 (5847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Haworth and Whitby are fantastic, but very different obviously. Haworth has a brew pub at the top of the high street.
Walking, get a copy of Bob Steel's > Walking and good ale pubs, what better? Tongue
https://shop.camra.org.uk/...shire-pub-walks.html

2019-20 - 12 games, last Kidlington v Daventry T, 17/8, goals 27, avgpg 2.25, new grounds 3. Last - Northampton ON Chenecks, 11/8.
New Grounds in 2019 - 17. 2018 - 44. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1210.
RL Grounds - 33 (Last - Macron Stadium, Challenge Cup SFs (5/8/18), Speedway Tracks 50.

(This post was edited by WestBerksPalace on Dec 28, 2016, 3:52 PM)

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 28, 2016, 4:24 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #15 of 68 (5822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have few beers in the pubs of Kelham Island when staying in Sheffield and pick Sheffgeoffs' brains for the rest!

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Dec 28, 2016, 4:28 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #16 of 68 (5817 views)
Shortcut

Towton Battlefield is wonderful - perhaps because it is still just that - a field where you can see how the battle was laid out, and experience the precipitous slope into Cock Beck that the soldiers on the losing side tumbled down to be slaughtered as their attackers fell upon them. It has info boards and a walk around the field, but is hugely unspoilt Allow at least an hour and wrap up warm: a very exposed site!

Whilst around there, visit the tiny chapel at Lead, possibly the Crooked Billet for food (if not drink) and I wonder if Sam Smith's wonderful 'Greyhound' pub is still OK in nearby Saxton, close to the church where many from the battle are buried.

Could go on from there to see the ruins of Tad's bridge - swept away this time last year.

If you're in Sheffield you could visit one of the UK's least used lines - the service to Cleethorpes, via Brigg and Kirton Lindsay. Sats only, 3 trains each way. Just about possible to take in Brigg Town or Cleethorpes (or Grimsby) game using it.

Oh and loads more : if I think of anything quirky I'll post again. But York is a bit touristy throughout the year.

PaulC

Dec 28, 2016, 4:34 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #17 of 68 (5816 views)
Shortcut

A day trip to Lancashire.

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Dec 28, 2016, 5:17 PM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #18 of 68 (5792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Why on earth would you want to do that?

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 28, 2016, 6:09 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #19 of 68 (5765 views)
Shortcut

I should refer you to the Dalesman Yorkshire Visitor Guide I put together every year for Skipton-based Country Publications. Just finishing off the 2017 edition at the moment. Plenty of good ideas in there. :-)

Seriously, if you're in Bradford: Bradford Industrial Museum (free entry) is one of the best museums of its type in Britain. Features some railway-related stuff, too (http://www.bradfordmuseums.org/venues/bradford-industrial-museum).

Canal-wise, both the Huddersfield Narrow and the Rochdale are excellent. Best bits of the towpaths are Slaithwaite-Marsden (Huddersfield) and Hebden Bridge-Summit (Rochdale). Might be out of season in February, but the Standege Tunnel Visitor Centre at Marsden offers narrow boat rides into the UK's longest, deepest and highest canal bore. Quite an experience.

If you're in Sheffield: try any of the excellent SIMT museums - Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, Kelham Island Museum and Shepherd Wheel Workshop (http://www.simt.co.uk).

Best things in York: a circuit of the Bar Walls (free), the Merchant Adventurers' Hall and the Treasurer's House (NT). The Minster is a rip-off (as are many visitor attractions in the city). You'll enjoy the NRM, if you can bear the swarms of children. To have the museum to yourself, go for the last couple of hours of the day. Avoid (at all costs) when it's raining. The NRM is the city's biggest umbrella. Visit York, on Museum Street, will advise about various passes that secure cut-price entry to numerous attractions. York has a proper record shop at the Bootham end of Gillygate.

Headingley, Leeds, and Wheldon Road, Castleford, are the best places to go for rugby league.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Dec 28, 2016, 6:30 PM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 28, 2016, 6:22 PM

Post #20 of 68 (5746 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
A day trip to Lancashire.

Even Hitler didn't fancy that, Paul!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItcedKDZF0E

BigJR
Reserve Team Star

Dec 28, 2016, 6:29 PM

Team(s): Chelsea, Corinthian Casuals

Post #21 of 68 (5738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Best curry I've ever had was in Armley Road, Leeds.

It in as what is known as a 'Curry Cafe' used by the local people, I fancied a beer with my meal but they werent licensed for alcohol being a 'cafe', but they provided lager from the pub nect door.

As I remember, the three pints of lager cost me much more than the meal itself, which was by far and the best I've ever had.

It cost me about a quarter of a traditional 'take away' down 'Sarf' at the time.

(Toilet rolls were not included !)

(This post was edited by BigJR on Dec 28, 2016, 6:32 PM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 28, 2016, 6:32 PM

Post #22 of 68 (5733 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigJR] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Best curry I've ever had was in Armley Road, Leeds.

It in as what is known as a 'Curry Cafe' used by the local people, I fancied a beer with my meal but they werent licensed for alcohol being a 'cafe', but they provided lager from the pub nect door.

As I remember, the three pints of lager cost me far more than the meal itself which was the best I've ever had and cost me about a quarter of a 'take away' down 'Sarf' at the time.

(Toilet rolls were not includee !)

In 2016, Bradford was named UK Curry Capital for a record sixth consecutive year. My favourite restaurant is Mumtaz, just down the road from the old Park Avenue football ground, which you can inspect before you eat.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Dec 28, 2016, 6:32 PM)

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Dec 28, 2016, 7:13 PM

Post #23 of 68 (5710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
My favourite restaurant is Mumtaz, just down the road from the old Park Avenue football ground, which you can inspect before you eat.

It must be good: there is a massive advertising board for them as you go through the boarding gate at Islamabad airport!

Chris M
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 28, 2016, 7:31 PM

Team(s): Everton, Marine, Sheffield clubs generally

Post #24 of 68 (5699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Have few beers in the pubs of Kelham Island when staying in Sheffield and pick Sheffgeoffs' brains for the rest!

Specifically the Kelham Island Tavern (only pub ever to be CAMRA's national pub of the year two years running) and the Fat Cat, which are literally round the corner from each other and both excellent real ale pubs.

Would also strongly recommend the Sheffield Tap on platform one at the railway station, the Rutland Arms (a brief walk up the hill from the station), the Red Deer (near the university's engineering campus), the Devonshire Cat (though it has recently been refurbished in a manner that's not to everyone's liking, but the beer selection is superb), and slightly further afield, the Hallamshire House (a Thornbridge pub just past the main university precincts and the only one in the city to still boast a full-sized snooker table).

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Dec 28, 2016, 9:29 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #25 of 68 (5653 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] 101 things to get up to in Yorkshire [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wouldn't disagree with anything you say but would add

Doubly avoid York Minster after all the daft recent shenanigans re sacking the bell ringing tea. Sentamu seems a really good guy, his staff seem like the worst kind of modern admin folk. Come 15 miles down the A19 to Selby : older Abbey, many fewer tourists and sumptuous stained glass.

refs RL, depends what kind of experience you're after. If you want to see the modern version in a modernish stadium, sure, go to Headingley. If you want to close your eyes, think that Eddie Waring might be commentating, and get the real atmosphere of a Northern working man's sport (cliché but true) go to Cas.

That's nowt against Cas : worked there for a few years and love the place but for all it's tarted itself up the skeleton of the mining and heavy industrial town it once gloriously was is still to be seen - and helps inform the enjoyment of a hard physical game played by folk who (used to) do a hard physical days' work.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3