Notts County

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Dec 19, 2016, 1:24 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #1 of 11 (5830 views)
Shortcut
Notts County Can't Post or Reply Privately

There is trouble a brewing at Notts County Ladies. The owner has hinted that he wants rid and the club could either move (again) or fold.

Fatboyfat
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 21, 2017, 9:32 PM

Post #2 of 11 (2510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Notts County [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am not too familiar with the goings on at Notts County Ladies this season, but can anyone clarify what happened in 2014?

When Lincoln upped sticks and moved to Nottingham, did they take over/merge with a team called Notts County Ladies or was it just a simple name change? The reason I am asking is that I went to watch a WFA cup match in 1994 between Notts County Ladies and Nottingham Rangers. Did this version of Notts County Ladies still exist when Lincoln moved in, or did they fold years ago?

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Feb 21, 2017, 11:01 PM

Post #3 of 11 (2502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fatboyfat] Notts County [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can't be 100% sure but I thought the name change from Lincoln to Notts County was to coincide with the team relocating to play their games at Meadow Lane and not a merger of 2 teams.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 21, 2017, 12:52 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #4 of 11 (829 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I can't be 100% sure but I thought the name change from Lincoln to Notts County was to coincide with the team relocating to play their games at Meadow Lane and not a merger of 2 teams.

It was indeed a "franchise move. One which has ended in failure as NCFC have today announced that the team is being disbanded, two days before the start of the Spring season. As the transfer deadline has passed, presumably their players (including 4 in the England squad) are now without a club until after the European Championships.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Apr 21, 2017, 1:07 PM

Team(s): Bo'ness United/Cowdenbeath/Wasps

Post #5 of 11 (828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Notts County [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It was indeed a "franchise move. One which has ended in failure as NCFC have today announced that the team is being disbanded, two days before the start of the Spring season. As the transfer deadline has passed, presumably their players (including 4 in the England squad) are now without a club until after the European Championships.

Wonder if that'll mean that they replace NC in WSL1 after the Spring Series is completed? Reprieve for Donny Belles perhaps?
That'd certainly allow for one of this season's deserving Premier sides to go up to WSL2, whereas beforehand that looked like a flaw in the system.

Professional cretin.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Apr 21, 2017, 1:37 PM

Post #6 of 11 (818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Notts County [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The players will now be out of contract and free to move to another club outside the transfer window.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Apr 21, 2017, 1:38 PM

Post #7 of 11 (817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] Notts County [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Wonder if that'll mean that they replace NC in WSL1 after the Spring Series is completed? Reprieve for Donny Belles perhaps?
That'd certainly allow for one of this season's deserving Premier sides to go up to WSL2, whereas beforehand that looked like a flaw in the system.

After what the FA did to Doncaster belles several seasons ago, relegating them before the start of the season, the least the FA could do is promote them back for the start of the 2017-18 season

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 21, 2017, 7:19 PM

Team(s): None

Post #8 of 11 (769 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

After what the FA did to Doncaster belles several seasons ago, relegating them before the start of the season, the least the FA could do is promote them back for the start of the 2017-18 season

Will the play-off between Tottenham and Blackburn at Charlton still go ahead or will both be promoted to WSL2?
The match could I suppose still be played for the championship of the Women's Premier League.

cherryhopper
First Team Star

Apr 21, 2017, 9:31 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #9 of 11 (734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Notts County [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In case anyone missed the news when this story broke earlier today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39667392

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Apr 21, 2017, 9:32 PM)

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Apr 21, 2017, 9:36 PM

Post #10 of 11 (727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Notts County [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is a one off Spring series to fill the gap between the previous Summer season and the next Winter season. There is no promotion relegation between WSL1 and WSL2 or at least there wasn't suppose to be. Any play-off between WPLN and WPLS winners will be for next seasons Winter league.

Roker Rover
Junior Team Star

Apr 21, 2017, 9:37 PM

Team(s): Sunderland, Gateshead, Ryton and Crawcrook Albion, Uxbridge, Durham CCC.

Post #11 of 11 (726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Notts County [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The demise of Notts is bad news for the WSL and maybe the FA need to take note.

Many remember the Doncaster Belles relegation and think that was harsh, but prior to that the FA issued a blueprint for the Womens game with a map of England that stopped at Leeds (this at a time when Sunderland ladies were challenging hard for honours).

Sunderland were overlooked for the new league and half a team of quality players left and have gone on to be stars at other clubs and formed a significant proportion of the successful England side for the last 5 years or so.

Sunderland then won the premier league but were overlooked for promotion which was given to Manchester City instead (who finished miles behind).

Finally when automatic promotion was introduced then Sunderland again won the league (for the 3rd or 4th year running despite the loss of their best players) and gained promotion.

I have heard from a very good source that only Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal wanted the move back to winter football and needless to say the FA pushed it through against the wishes of the majority of the clubs. Those teams want to compete in the Champions league which is fair enough but I personally think the move back to winter football is a massive error. I support the mens team as well as the ladies and when games clash guess which one I choose?

Sunderland have gone back to part time mainly due to cost cutting across the board due to the imminent relegation but the FA need to look at is as the WSL1 has become massively divided between the haves and the have nots. It just isn't competitive and going to winter and losing Notts will just make that even worse.

Central contracts for the England side who are then placed more equitably among the teams would help hugely.

Ex Sunderland players you may have heard of;

Jill Scott
Steph Houghton
Demmi Stokes
Jordon Nobbs
Lucy Bronze
Carly Telford

None of them played for England while at Sunderland and as far as I am aware no contracted Sunderland ladies player has ever been selected for the full England team, certainly not recently.

On top of those Beth Mead who is arguably the best young striker in the country has just gone to Arsenal and will no doubt therefore be wearing the full England shirt before too long.

If the FA continue to cozy up to the big clubs and ignore the needs of the rest, then where are the future players coming from? Who will the favoured clubs actually play against?

Today should be a wake up call, but will they listen?

I very much doubt it....

(This post was edited by Roker Rover on Apr 21, 2017, 9:46 PM)

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3