Referee's changing decisions

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 6, 2016, 4:17 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #1 of 6 (3300 views)
Shortcut
Referee's changing decisions Can't Post or Reply Privately

This has probably been addressed already on here but apologies, I can't find it so......
I've noticed a number of decisions this season and last in a number of countries (the most recent last weekend in Ligue 1) where the referee changed from initially giving a yellow card to a straight red after seeing the effect of the foul challenge on the opponent.
Is that a recent innovation and if so, can/does it apply here?
In the incident in question, the official was quite right to issue a red for a sneaky late challenge but I guess this could go the other way where (lord forbid) a player suffers a "Dave Busst" and an unwitting player is dismissed when there may not have been a foul at all

scottywalds
First Team Star

Dec 6, 2016, 8:38 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #2 of 6 (3244 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Referee's changing decisions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It happened when Eduardo had his ankle busted by Martin Taylor.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 7, 2016, 10:05 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #3 of 6 (3158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Referee's changing decisions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There has been no specific change to Law or guidance on this but he is quite within his rights to change the decision. A referee can change any decision he has made unless play has restarted or he has signalled the end of the first or second half (including extra time) and left the field of play or terminated the match. Whether it is wise to do so based on the severity of an injury is another matter. Personally I would say not as it is the actions of the culprit that should determine the severity of the punishment not the outcome.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 7, 2016, 11:42 AM

Post #4 of 6 (3137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Referee's changing decisions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Whether it is wise to do so based on the severity of an injury is another matter. Personally I would say not as it is the actions of the culprit that should determine the severity of the punishment not the outcome.

I assume the match Buncranaboy was referring to was Montpellier v Nancy which I was at and the incident happened right in front of me. There was a protracted delay between the issuing of the yellow and red as the goalkeeper needed lengthy treatment and it was only when it became clear that he would be substituted that the ref changed his decision.

It felt wrong at the time to me - there did not seem to be any intervention from the 4th official after viewing a replay (which would have been a good enough reason) - and the clear impression was that, if the keeper had stayed on, the red would not have been produced.

The home fans were understandably very unhappy, but they are not the most volatile around - one does wonder if the same decision would have been made at, say, Marseille or St Etienne.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 7, 2016, 1:30 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #5 of 6 (3113 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Referee's changing decisions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi Mick - as I say, it's not the first one I've seen and this was at last weekends Marseille-Nancy game. My question still is, is it okay for the ref to base his decision n the outcome (bad injury) or on how serious he deems the foul to be? In the instances I refer to, the outcome caused him to change his decision from a yellow to red card.

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 8, 2016, 12:58 PM

Team(s): None

Post #6 of 6 (2985 views)
Shortcut

At Spelthorne v. Neasden a few years ago, the Neasden no. 8 viciously stamped on the back of a Spelthorne player. The only people in the ground who did not see this were the match officials, however the guilty player was pointed out to the referee by Spelthorne players and supporters. At first the referee decided to just speak to him and tell him he knew what had happened but he couldn't take any action as he didn't see the incident. However as the injured player was treated the referee had a little think and decided to send the player off after all. So justice was done even though it was technically the wrong one.

jrev61

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3