Who is renting Slade Green ground?

roy142857
Youth Team Regular

Oct 24, 2016, 4:38 PM

Team(s): Slade Green Knights, Orpington, Dartford, Phoenix Sports, Ebbsfleet

Post #1 of 22 (8652 views)
Shortcut
Who is renting Slade Green ground? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hoping someone knows a little more than I do, I've been told by a community leader in Slade Green that local attempts by the community to rent the ground previously used by Slade Green FC (in Moat Lane, Slade Green) have come to nothing as the owners have informed them that they will be renting it out for 3 years to a 'club from outside Slade Green'. Wouldn't say who but dropped the name Mark during the conversation. Anyone any ideas? (And is this likely to be anyone who would work WITH the community?)

The community group recently launched a new community football club (Slade Green Knights) as local surveys have shown people wanting this. They have some lottery funding including funding to train local people to be the coaches, 150 people from small kids to adults turned up for the sign-up session recently.

For the record, I'm involved with the community group but a different Working Group to the Working Group who are launching the football club - my bit has been training local people (anything from bookkeeping to HGV training!) and trying to launch a Credit Union outlet, at times the football etc sounds more fun!

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 24, 2016, 11:40 PM

Team(s): Arsenal and South Eastern Football

Post #2 of 22 (8247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [roy142857] Who is renting Slade Green ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Interesting news.
It could of course be anyone but i would suggest that any club in the County Premier looking at promotion to SCED1 might be the answer.

However the fact that they would not tell you who suggests its not a done deal anyway.
But if you think of a local club that really need floodlights you will soon find someone called Mark.
But that may be coincidence.

(This post was edited by Unicorn on Oct 24, 2016, 11:50 PM)

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Oct 24, 2016, 11:51 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #3 of 22 (8236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [roy142857] Who is renting Slade Green ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Interesting if this is true, as I was down that way recently and popped into the ground which is in a terrible state. The pitch is totally overgrown and the stand / changing rooms and clubhouse building looked derelict. A lot, and I mean a lot, of work would be needed to bring the ground up to a standard even where Sunday league football could be played.
I hope something comes of it as it was a tidy little ground when it was used by Slade Green.

roy142857
Youth Team Regular

Dec 1, 2016, 10:20 AM

Post #4 of 22 (6791 views)
Shortcut

Sad to say this appears to be untrue, I'm told that the current owner was just 'winding up' the lady who runs the local charity.

We've now been contacted by someone who says they are purchasing the site for housing development, and our Ward Councillors believe this information to be the case. I'll know more when I meet with them.

On a more positive note, the community club being set up by the charity is now FA registered, still attracting about 150 players each week and is about to send its first set of volunteers on a coaching course (as an aside, they've also sent volunteers on a course for setting up a community running club, which is due to launch eaarly next year).

London_lion
Junior Team Star

Dec 1, 2016, 12:15 PM

Team(s): Millwall & Hollands & Blair

Post #5 of 22 (6691 views)
Shortcut

I believe it to be quite well known that when Slade Green folded, the owner deliberately stopped anyway playing there in order to see out the required period of time to enable him to sell it. I heard a year or so ago, a hotel had been in contact with a very lucrative offer.

compaq7500
Youth Team Sub

Dec 1, 2016, 1:15 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 22 (6603 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by compaq7500 [In reply to] or Reply Privately

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 1, 2016, 1:16 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #7 of 22 (6601 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hoping someone knows a little more than I do, I've been told by a community leader in Slade Green that local attempts by the community to rent the ground previously used by Slade Green FC (in Moat Lane, Slade Green) have come to nothing as the owners have informed them that they will be renting it out for 3 years to a 'club from outside Slade Green'.

What's a "community leader"?

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 1, 2016, 2:05 PM

Post #8 of 22 (6538 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Who is renting Slade Green ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

http://www.pixelleprint.co.uk/...-khan-mug-4358-p.png

Chris1963

Dec 1, 2016, 3:46 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #9 of 22 (6447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [compaq7500] Who is renting Slade Green ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
im led to believe that Greenwich Boro who currently play in the ryman south division play at this ground.

They share Middle Park Avenue, Eltham, with Cray Valley PM. Have a look at Google Maps.

Isaac

Dec 1, 2016, 4:18 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #10 of 22 (6414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London_lion] Who is renting Slade Green ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I believe it to be quite well known that when Slade Green folded, the owner deliberately stopped anyway playing there in order to see out the required period of time to enable him to sell it. I heard a year or so ago, a hotel had been in contact with a very lucrative offer.

A hotel in Slade Green? I can't see that exactly being a magnet for touristsUnsure!

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 1, 2016, 4:38 PM

Post #11 of 22 (6385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Who is renting Slade Green ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

A hotel in Slade Green? I can't see that exactly being a magnet for touristsUnsure!

On the face of it that is just about the funniest thing i have ever read on this forum.
But i guess with it being of top of a railway station with links to central London. Also its just around the corner from the Dartford tunnel. It makes a bit more sense.
A night in Slade Green.Sounds great.

Isaac

Dec 1, 2016, 4:42 PM

Post #12 of 22 (6383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Unicorn] Who is renting Slade Green ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

On the face of it that is just about the funniest thing i have ever read on this forum.
But i guess with it being of top of a railway station with links to central London. Also its just around the corner from the Dartford tunnel. It makes a bit more sense.

Sounds like a booby prize in a raffle.....................a weekend break in Slade Green!!

Rail links to London are slow filthy and unreliable and there are plenty of hotels nearer to the M25.

(This post was edited by Isaac on Dec 1, 2016, 5:03 PM)

Mishi

Dec 2, 2016, 5:05 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #13 of 22 (5925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Who is renting Slade Green ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well there's a hotel just the other side of the tunnel at Thurrock FC...so why not Slade Green?

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 3, 2016, 4:16 PM

Post #14 of 22 (5677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Who is renting Slade Green ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well there's a hotel just the other side of the tunnel at Thurrock FC...so why not Slade Green?

Well i guess nothing but having spent a large amount of my life there i still find it somewhat comical.

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 3, 2016, 9:59 PM

Post #15 of 22 (5549 views)
Shortcut

Where will your new club play?

Kentishexile
Junior Team Sub

Dec 6, 2016, 7:34 PM

Post #16 of 22 (5196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Unicorn] Who is renting Slade Green ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We have a hotel in Thamesmead now which is about as comical as Slade Green....

Isaac

Dec 6, 2016, 11:31 PM

Post #17 of 22 (5045 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Well i guess nothing but having spent a large amount of my life there i still find it somewhat comical.

I find the whole idea of a hotel in Slade Green somewhat comical, a caravan park would be more appropriate!

roy142857
Youth Team Regular

Dec 7, 2016, 5:31 AM

Post #18 of 22 (4939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Who is renting Slade Green ground? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Hoping someone knows a little more than I do, I've been told by a community leader in Slade Green that local attempts by the community to rent the ground previously used by Slade Green FC (in Moat Lane, Slade Green) have come to nothing as the owners have informed them that they will be renting it out for 3 years to a 'club from outside Slade Green'.

Someone whose vocabulary loses the word 'no' when asked to do something for the community?

Ok, so I guess my terminology was loose, but in this instance I mean anyone working for or elected to a committee of a registered charity wiith aims defined in terms of improving the local area.

roy142857
Youth Team Regular

Dec 7, 2016, 5:39 AM

Post #19 of 22 (4937 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

On what the Council call 'Slade Green Recreation Ground' and the local community call 'The Fuzzy' - the field that borders the football club and tithe barn, accessed from Hazel Drive rather than Moat Lane where the football club is. Poor quality changing room there but plans being put together to put improved changing facilities combined with a small general use community facility there.

roy142857
Youth Team Regular

Dec 7, 2016, 5:57 AM

Post #20 of 22 (4933 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Rather sceptical of the viability of any hotel plans but it has been a regular complaint from local businesses on the many industrial estates locally that when they have visitors coming to look at their products there is no hotal to put them up in. Throw in the proposed Strategic Rail Freight Interchange on the farmland close to othe football ground, and the new rail routes from 2018 (on the proposed Thameslink route from the Medway towns to Luton and easy interchange at Abbey Wood for the Elizabeth LIne aka Crossrail), just maybe it could be viable ...

Surprisingly we do get a few tourists - bird watchers on Crayford Marshes, cyclists from National Route 1 and people wanting to look at the middle ages tithe barn and the moat (which dates back to the Norman Conquest).

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 7, 2016, 7:06 AM

Post #21 of 22 (4920 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

On what the Council call 'Slade Green Recreation Ground' and the local community call 'The Fuzzy' - the field that borders the football club and tithe barn, accessed from Hazel Drive rather than Moat Lane where the football club is. Poor quality changing room there but plans being put together to put improved changing facilities combined with a small general use community facility there.

A youth team called Wasps used to use that and the Rec in Howbury Lane.
They ran lots of teams through the age groups.
But that was a few years ago. Do they still exist.

roy142857
Youth Team Regular

Aug 3, 2019, 7:43 PM

Post #22 of 22 (1689 views)
Shortcut

Just an update to say the new community club Slade Green Knights is still doing well, senior side in the Bromley & South London Division 3 and a number of age group teams. One of the volunteers was nominated in the volunteer of the year category of the London Sport Awards in 2018 (and was one of 2 'joint runners-up'). Some matches now using nearby Northumberland Heath rather than Slade Green, which makes the dis-use of the old Slade Green fc ground even more of a shame.
There were (and possibly still are?) developers looking at the old football ground, but interesting to note that the site was assessed for potential development by Bexley Council earlier this year, and for the moment (the current planning document is in draft) they are stating that the site cannot be developed as it's Green Belt land (my understanding is that the football club being there is an exception granted for community sport usage and nothing else).
As I mentioned it previously, just noting the Strategic Rail Freight Interchange proposed near the old football club site was turned down earlier this year.

EDIT Perhaps just also should say, I hear reports on how the club is doing from time to time, and what stands out aside from the local efforts, is how much help, advice, support etc has been offered by local 'rivals' - something very positive about the local football 'scene' I think.

(This post was edited by roy142857 on Aug 3, 2019, 7:49 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3