General Election???

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 21, 2017, 7:59 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #76 of 100 (2298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

SNP - More an 'unruly mob' than a serious opposition to Theresa May, no change in numbers but some north of the border might well ask what have they achieved thus far?

Phew! Of all the description of the SNP I would never have come up with "unruly mob" but then I don't read the Daily Mail and the other scum English press.

In Scotland the main criticism of them from the other parties is that they are far too disciplined. Not one MP has ever broken the party whip yet you call them an 'unruly mob'! Ludicrous. I dare say you object to applause for good speeches which happens in just about every parliament in the world apart from the Westminster mausoleum.

Time and again they have provided the only real opposition to the Tories. Viewed from a Scottish perspective they have done a great job at Westminster.

The difference between the current ranks of SNP MPs and their predecessors - the neanderthal placemen of the Labour party is remarkable.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Mar 21, 2017, 8:05 AM)

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Mar 21, 2017, 10:04 AM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #77 of 100 (2260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Reports coming out today, are that the Tories are gearing up for a Snap General Election on the 4th May

I Can't see an election being called any time soon, especially after reading this......http://www.newstatesman.com/...d-george-osborne-too

Personally, I think the author sounds scared stiff of a General Election being called at the present time.

Are you surprised? It was written by a New Statesman staffer. The Labour Party certainly have no wish to contest an election in their current state.

That said, I still reckon Mrs M will follow the example set by the ditherer Mr Brown. There are good reasons for showing caution....http://www.independent.co.uk/...-risks-a7639826.html

(This post was edited by Ronsdog on Mar 21, 2017, 10:44 AM)

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 21, 2017, 10:33 AM

Post #78 of 100 (2239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bit sensitive?

Not unruly? - ah yes, let's ignore the fact that they took selfies in the Houses of Parliament whilst being ordered not to by John Bercow.

It will be interesting to see how long they stay in Parliament if Scotland votes again to stay as part of the UK - they can't keep demanding one every five years, the next one needs to be a final 'put up or shut up.' If they don't get their way, will they just wilt away into nothing?

I will say that, despite her 'potty mouth', Mhari Black appears to be a decent enough speaker for the SNP. She's made a few decent speeches in 'the Westminster mausoleum' as well.

007Dale
First Team Star

Mar 21, 2017, 10:35 AM

Post #79 of 100 (2238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It would certainly cause confusion if the Remainer's gained a majority in Westminister at a snap General Election.

Some sort of nightmare coalition Momentum Labour, SNP and Liberal Democats. Doesn't bare thinking about

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 21, 2017, 10:42 AM

Post #80 of 100 (2233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would not put it past them to try and do this.

However, Labour would lose the working class vote, and were UKIP to get in to bed with the Tories and prop them up then Labour et al would be kicking themselves.

Labour have more to lose than the Tories, despite the unpopularity of the latter.

A female PM, an unpopular Government, a Republican in the White House - have we time-travelled back to the 1980s or something?

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Mar 21, 2017, 10:42 AM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #81 of 100 (2232 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

SNP - More an 'unruly mob' than a serious opposition to Theresa May, no change in numbers but some north of the border might well ask what have they achieved thus far?

Phew! Of all the description of the SNP I would never have come up with "unruly mob" but then I don't read the Daily Mail and the other scum English press.

Perhaps more a querulous band than an 'unruly mob'.
Fulfilling their historical reputation either way.Wink

PaulC

Mar 21, 2017, 10:43 AM

Post #82 of 100 (2231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrTangerineMan] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Bit sensitive?

Just replying to your post. Isn't it permitted to disagree with you?

In Reply To
Not unruly? - ah yes, let's ignore the fact that they took selfies in the Houses of Parliament whilst being ordered not to by John Bercow.

LOL! Taking selfies once when the Commons wasn't even in session. Bercow wasn't even there. And that makes them an 'unruly mob'. Where do you get your information from? The Daily Mail?

In Reply To
It will be interesting to see how long they stay in Parliament if Scotland votes again to stay as part of the UK - they can't keep demanding one every five years, the next one needs to be a final 'put up or shut up.' If they don't get their way, will they just wilt away into nothing?

Why do you think the one party which actually stands up for the Scottish people at Westminster will fade away. Many people who have no wish for Scottish independence vote for the SNP to represent them at Westminster. Labour and Tories certainly don't. You have an incredibly narrow and uninformed view of the SNP.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Mar 21, 2017, 10:48 AM)

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 21, 2017, 10:57 AM

Post #83 of 100 (2219 views)
Shortcut

No, you just sound a little sensitive - although this is the internet, so things can be taken differently than intended.

Actually, no - I don't read either The Daily Mail nor The Guardian. I find them as bad as each other, and both are agendaist (albeit on different ends of the political spectrum). I remember seeing the selfies story online on either the BBC or Sky News website, can't remember which one, but at least it wasn't Breitbart or some other 'Fake News' website.

Whilst some might be voting for them as a protest vote (the same way that some people in England and Wales voted for UKIP or the Greens as a protest) the SNP have only come to prominence because of their desire to make Scotland an independent country. They still want this - for them it's their key policy - if they didn't want independence, then I highly doubt that they would have been voted in.

If a second referendum ends up the same way as the first (i.e. Scotland stays as part of the Union), then it will be harder (IMO) for the SNP to stay in Parliament.

(This post was edited by MrTangerineMan on Mar 21, 2017, 10:58 AM)

PaulC

Mar 21, 2017, 11:36 AM

Post #84 of 100 (2201 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
No, you just sound a little sensitive - although this is the internet, so things can be taken differently than intended.

Actually, no - I don't read either The Daily Mail nor The Guardian. I find them as bad as each other, and both are agendaist (albeit on different ends of the political spectrum). I remember seeing the selfies story online on either the BBC or Sky News website, can't remember which one, but at least it wasn't Breitbart or some other 'Fake News' website.

Whilst some might be voting for them as a protest vote (the same way that some people in England and Wales voted for UKIP or the Greens as a protest) the SNP have only come to prominence because of their desire to make Scotland an independent country. They still want this - for them it's their key policy - if they didn't want independence, then I highly doubt that they would have been voted in.

If a second referendum ends up the same way as the first (i.e. Scotland stays as part of the Union), then it will be harder (IMO) for the SNP to stay in Parliament.

The SNP has come to prominence because Scotland is rather more to the left in politics than England and it has been let down by Labour in Scotland. Not everyone who votes for the SNP is in favour of independence. Just as not everyone who is for independence votes SNP (at the last referendum around 30% of Labour voters voted Yes).

The oversimplified nonsense you see and hear in the English media (and I include the BBC in that) from people who know nothing of Scotland does everyone a disservice.

If there is no second referendum, or if it is lost, Scotland will need an even stronger voice at Westminster, not w weaker one. The Tories and Labour will not provide it.

But going back to your original point about the SNP at WEstminster being an 'unruly mob' I have to say that just does not come across apart from in the coverage by idiot wing of the English media.

I think back to my previous Labour MP (for whom, I regret to say I voted) who was a complete numpty. I now have an MP, a breast cancer consultant, who is as sharp as a button, who has contributed greatly to discussions on health care, not just in Scotland but rUK, sits on the Commons Health Select Committee and is as committed a Parliamentarian as there is.

The Christmas before last she gave up some of her time to 'keep her hand in' working as a surgeon at the local hospital

The Daily Mail headline was "Top SNP MP moonlights as £500-a-day NHS surgeon: Party's health spokesman boosts £74,000 salary by working at cash-strapped hospital"

She gave up her Easter holiday to work for nothing in a hospital in Palestine. It didn't merit a mention in the Daily Mail.

Not only does the English scum press and media do Scotland a disservice - it does the people of England a disservice too. It fuels their antipathy towards Scotland with a diet of lies, innuendo and half truths.

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 21, 2017, 11:49 AM

Post #85 of 100 (2197 views)
Shortcut

I will agree that the media (on both left and right) is biased and if their agenda is to sully the Scots then sadly it appears to be working.

If the SNP have done a good job where you are, then I say credit to them - I live in the Labour part of Blackpool which does nothing for the constituency but will never be voted out (hence one of the reasons I've given up on politics and politicians).

A neighbour of mine has cancer and a cancer charity is looking at launching Mobile Chemotherapy Units in the town in the near future, but the local Labour group are opposing funding saying it is 'too costly.' What price do you put on life, especially when people like my neighbour (who is almost 70 and cannot drive) have to travel to Sheffield three times a week for treatment?

Anyway, if the SNP are here to stay, if they do a good job for Scotland then I have no issue - I can well understand why people have given up on the mainstream neoliberal parties, and maybe I'm just completely sceptical about politics and politicians. I would just like the UK to be a happy nation once again instead of divided and bitter which it seems to have become.

jon b
First Team Star

Mar 22, 2017, 2:22 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #86 of 100 (2087 views)
Shortcut

I think the Daily Mail were desperately hoping that the SNP MPs would be misbehave at Westminster and bring the party into disrepute. Being able to run stories of drunken, disrespectful Scot Nats would have been perfect for them.

The reverse has been the reality although the DM can't bring itself to admit it.

One of the notable features of the Labour MPs previously returned for the vast majority of those constituencies was what appeared to be their contempt of the SNP and what was happening at Holyrood. Their attitude seemed to be that real big-time politics happened at Westminster where they were.

Which maybe helps explain why a Labour MP from north of the border is now such an endangered species.

garethwrexy

Mar 22, 2017, 9:29 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #87 of 100 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Think tories may even snatch a few seats from the snp

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

dottirofhod

Mar 22, 2017, 9:42 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #88 of 100 (1986 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Really.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 278 /236 / 42 (You know my rules) @ 24 / 06 / 2019.
0-0's are standing at 19. Good run (19) until tonight 22 / 06.
Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-0-0-0-0). Lux = 0-0. Neth-= 0-0-0-(0 - 0).
Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

PaulC

Mar 22, 2017, 11:20 PM

Post #89 of 100 (1957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Tories less popular in Scotland than Corbyn in Labour - not that you'd know from the fawning Tory press who big up Davidson.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Mar 22, 2017, 11:21 PM)

Richard Rundle

Mar 23, 2017, 7:32 AM

Post #90 of 100 (1921 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Then you are truly in cloud cuckoo land. What seats do you have in mind?

acmold

Mar 23, 2017, 7:36 AM

Post #91 of 100 (1917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or

There are going to take their seats away and make them stand on the naughty step.

PaulC

Mar 23, 2017, 7:54 AM

Post #92 of 100 (1915 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Tories less popular in Scotland than Corbyn in Labour - not that you'd know from the fawning Tory press who big up Davidson.

I meant "Corbyn in England" ... but on second thoughts....

(This post was edited by PaulC on Mar 23, 2017, 7:54 AM)

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 23, 2017, 9:26 AM

Post #93 of 100 (1896 views)
Shortcut

I doubt that UKIP would ever get a foothold in Scotland.

They have only had a limited 'success' in the Highlands & Islands which are isolated from the power-brokers in Holyrood, but not enough to make a big impact.

Wales, however, will definitely get at least two UKIP seats in the future - Merthyr Tydfil and Newport West are very much winnable seats for them, and once Paul Flynn has passed on I think Newport West will go to UKIP.

UKIP are set to back the 10 (or so) mile long new M4 tunnel under the River Usk and Gwent Levels. This plan would see Newport annexed by the M4 and a tunnel would run from Magor to Tredegar Park thereby easing congestion around the Brynglas Tunnels. No other political party in The Senedd is supporting this plan (Labour have bought up land using public funds in order to build a new M4 through the Gwent Levels, and are damned if they are going to lose out on a big pay day).

Also, areas like Pontypridd and Bridgend are targets for Mr. Nuttall.

jon b
First Team Star

Mar 23, 2017, 1:54 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #94 of 100 (1865 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

They may well be, but he can't leave his house to campaign because Mrs May has nicked all his clothes.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Mar 23, 2017, 2:40 PM

Team(s):

Post #95 of 100 (1850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

They may well be, but he can't leave his house to campaign because Mrs May has nicked all his clothes.

Surely as an award-winning fashion designer, he is capable of making his own?

garethwrexy

Mar 24, 2017, 8:44 PM

Post #96 of 100 (1767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes I think have 4 seats in Scotland

windydcfc

Mar 24, 2017, 9:01 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #97 of 100 (1762 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Which four constituencies in particular?

garethwrexy

Mar 24, 2017, 11:52 PM

Post #98 of 100 (1730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Any seats near the English boarder or parts of Scotland that back the union

PaulC

Mar 24, 2017, 11:54 PM

Post #99 of 100 (1730 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Do you actually know anything about Scottish politics?

MrTangerineMan
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 25, 2017, 12:17 AM

Post #100 of 100 (1720 views)
Shortcut

It would be extremely difficult for UKIP to win any Scottish constituency.

Scotland is, mainly, an anti-UK and pro-EU country. Whilst pockets of the Highlands & Islands have shown some small support for UKIP any support is the equivalent of a wart on an elephant's backside.

Wales is more winnable territory - Reckless and Hamilton are in The Senedd and with Wales voting no to the EU and UKIP getting a good number of 2nd places in the 2015 GE it is likely that they will make a breakthrough in Wales (particularly in South Wales) one day.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3