First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Oct 7, 2016, 11:00 AM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #1 of 100 (7351 views)
Shortcut
General Election??? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Following on from earlier posts in this section, I would be interested to know what some of our politically-minded posters feel if there wwas a snap General Election....my thoughts are...
TORIES; gaining a lot more votes and increasing their majority
LABOUR; losing many votes and also losing seats
LIB DEMS; gaining more votes from disillusioned Lab voters and perhaps a few more seats.. if only we know who their leader was!!
UKIP; losing momentum and probably their only seat
GRREN; increased votes but no more seats
SNP; almost total dominance in Scotland as now
PLAID CYMRU; may make a small comeback with the demise of UKIP
now over to you the posters....

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 7, 2016, 11:37 AM

Post #2 of 100 (7339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or

I've send since Brexit many Remain voters will vote Lib Deb as a semi protest vote maybe to take things back to what they were before the last General Election.

Many long standing Labour MP's will lose their seats as many life time Labour voters will not vote for them while Jeremy is in charge. Me being one and a large number of my friends locally.

Likewise many Tories will not vote for an ultra right wing Government and the Straw Donkey.

The Weatherspoon set will also change their tune if they think the Tories will make them do the jobs the departing Eastern Europeans will vacate.

derekn
First Team Star

Oct 7, 2016, 11:46 AM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #3 of 100 (7333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I really can't understand why life-long Labour voters would stop voting Labour at the first sign of actual policies which reflect Labour principles. Only the left-wing Tories, Blair supporters, should be deserting them.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Oct 7, 2016, 12:26 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #4 of 100 (7318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tend to agree with most of GD's predictions.

Maggie May's still on a roll. She's seen that Trump can come out with all sorts of right-wing twaddle in the US and still be right up there with voters.

Lib Dems may pick up some disillusioned voters but until the curse of Clegg is formally laid to rest, don't rely on the party that should be the ideal one to turn to as a protest for many people actually fulfilling their potential. IMO they need to reject Clegg and start from scratch - 'shoot the elephant in the room'.

Corbyn has convinced his half a million fans. He's now got to turn round and convince the other 20 million he needs to elect him that he is a proper leader. A lot of potential Labour voters may agree with his policies but might say he hasn't handled the party at all well, so why would he handle the country better?

Meanwhile all those 'left-wing Tories' (it's all relative nowadays) may have some hope.....
http://www.independent.co.uk/...corbyn-a7349621.html
He might do rather well, if he can get over the Iraq issue.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Oct 7, 2016, 12:30 PM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 7, 2016, 12:50 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #5 of 100 (7288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Tend to agree with most of GD's predictions.

Maggie May's still on a roll. She's seen that Trump can come out with all sorts of right-wing twaddle in the US and still be right up there with voters.

One of the biggest reasons Trump's up there with the voters us because he's an outsider showing up the political establishment for what it is and, in so doing, has tapped into the same public disillusionment with mainstream politicians that put Corbyn where he is. No mainstream politician could get away with what Trump says and still be electable, so I'm not sure May is drawing too much encouragement from him. And although Trump and Corbyn are both outsiders, Trump's charisma and sense of the national mood helps make his rhetoric stick. Corbyn just doesn't have that.

acmold

Oct 7, 2016, 2:22 PM

Post #6 of 100 (7220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I really can't understand why life-long Labour voters would stop voting Labour at the first sign of actual policies which reflect Labour principles. Only the left-wing Tories, Blair supporters, should be deserting them.

Surely most life long Labour supporters pre date Blair. Corbyn may represent what you think Labour should stand for but not many of it's voters or MP's do and without them Labour are not going to get elected.

Chris1963

Oct 7, 2016, 3:55 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #7 of 100 (7173 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Many long standing Labour MP's will lose their seats as many life time Labour voters will not vote for them while Jeremy is in charge. Me being one and a large number of my friends locally.

I can't wait to vote for Corbyn because I'll vote for anyone who the press hates. Theresa may be making a big mistake in refusing to call a snap election because the Tories are doing well now but the Labour Party may improve its showing in the opinion polls by the time the election happens. I don't think Labour will get an overall majority but they might be the largest party and may have to consider forming a coalition with the SNP.

Ropemaker

Oct 7, 2016, 4:41 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #8 of 100 (7143 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Boundary changes, reducing the total number of MPs, will also no doubt affect Labour more than the Tories.

Says he, cynically.

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

garethwrexy

Oct 7, 2016, 4:45 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #9 of 100 (7142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think ukip vote stay the same they may gain a labour seat

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

UKPunk

Oct 7, 2016, 7:13 PM

Post #10 of 100 (7079 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I'd be very surprised if they lost Clacton. Carswell has been very good at 'pressing the flesh' with the town's wrinklies (which make up a sizeable percentage of the local population) and they love him to bits. And even if they did lose their seat it would just revert to being a Tory town again.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Oct 7, 2016, 11:52 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #11 of 100 (6988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I'd be very surprised if they lost Clacton. Carswell has been very good at 'pressing the flesh' with the town's wrinklies (which make up a sizeable percentage of the local population) and they love him to bits. And even if they did lose their seat it would just revert to being a Tory town again.

I am sure you know better about the extent of Carswell's personal vote, but it seems distinctly possible he will be expelled or resign from UKIP, and so stand as an independent or revert to the Conservatives himself, if they will have him.

(This post was edited by Sale Holmfield on Oct 7, 2016, 11:53 PM)

jon b
First Team Star

Oct 8, 2016, 7:59 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #12 of 100 (6934 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Following on from earlier posts in this section, I would be interested to know what some of our politically-minded posters feel if there wwas a snap General Election......

Since Theresa May has boxed herself in by pledging no snap election it aint worth discussing.

The next election will be in 2020 unless Brexit goes badly wrong and the economy hits the skids big time. In those circumstances current poll ratings mean sweet FA.

garethwrexy

Oct 8, 2016, 8:05 AM

Post #13 of 100 (6929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If UKIP get under 4 million votes again could be 2-3 maybe

garethwrexy

Oct 8, 2016, 8:06 AM

Post #14 of 100 (6928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Seats that is

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Oct 8, 2016, 8:19 AM

Post #15 of 100 (6922 views)
Shortcut

It aint worth discussing Jon B?; in my intro I did say IF; and do you believe all that politicians tell you; it was a serious question and IMO worth discussion. If you don`t want to diiscuss it, why bother to reply!!!!

jon b
First Team Star

Oct 8, 2016, 12:09 PM

Post #16 of 100 (6885 views)
Shortcut

Fair enough.

Trouble is I'd have thought the only circumstances likely to bring about a snap general election at this time would be if Brexit began to panic the financial markets to a degree that the economic sky began to fall in and the Tories party unity cracked in vicious self recrimination.

I doubt that current opinion polls/party standings would tell us much about the likely outcome of an election held in such conditions.

We'd be in the twilight zone. Shocked

Richard Rundle

Oct 8, 2016, 12:13 PM

Post #17 of 100 (6879 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I doubt that current opinion polls/party standings would tell us much about the likely outcome of an election held in such conditions.

In Reply To

They'd be about as much use as the opinion polls from the day before the last election, i.e. not much.

UKPunk

Oct 9, 2016, 5:11 PM

Post #18 of 100 (6723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I am sure you know better about the extent of Carswell's personal vote, but it seems distinctly possible he will be expelled or resign from UKIP, and so stand as an independent or revert to the Conservatives himself, if they will have him.

If he rejoins the Tories I expect he'd retain the wrinkly vote but possibly lose some of the young 'uns, particularly those who remember the way the Tories tried to screw them over for their working tax credits. I'm not sure what would happen if he stood as an independent.

BigJR
Reserve Team Star

Oct 9, 2016, 5:21 PM

Team(s): Chelsea, Corinthian Casuals

Post #19 of 100 (6717 views)
Shortcut

I think the next general election will end in some sort of impasse.

I cannot see any party, (Tories especially), getting an absolute resounding majority.

There are now too many 'ifs and buts' with each party. Brexit; Trident; Troops abroad; Syria; National Health. It goes on and on.

God forbid another coallition. That'll only prolong any further advances for this country.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Oct 11, 2016, 1:22 AM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #20 of 100 (6492 views)
Shortcut

Whilst the effects of the banking collapse and Brexit continue to wreak political havoc then I wouldn't expect a General Election any time soon.
Mrs M, even whilst enjoying a 17% lead over Labour in the polls, will not be tempted into going to the country in my view.

If, and it's a massive if, she concludes a successful exit from the EU whilst maintaining party unity then she and the Tories will romp the 2020 election.

If however it all goes tits up then I would expect the anti establishment mood to resurface and UKIP, even with its current divisions, to be the major beneficiaries.
The Liberals need to establish an identity to make any headway.

Labour, unless it's changes its direction of travel will appeal to too small a constituency to make any meaningful breakthrough and could well lose seats to UKIP.

2020 is a lifetime away in these turbulent times but if I were asked to predict.....
'Maggie' May to have a 10/15 seat majority.

jon b
First Team Star

Oct 11, 2016, 12:40 PM

Post #21 of 100 (6360 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Whilst the effects of the banking collapse and Brexit continue to wreak political havoc then I wouldn't expect a General Election any time soon.
Mrs M, even whilst enjoying a 17% lead over Labour in the polls, will not be tempted into going to the country in my view.

If, and it's a massive if, she concludes a successful exit from the EU whilst maintaining party unity then she and the Tories will romp the 2020 election.

If however it all goes tits up then I would expect the anti establishment mood to resurface and UKIP, even with its current divisions, to be the major beneficiaries.

If everthing goes tits up as a result of Brexit I doubt whether UKIP's popularity would rise. I'd expect the reverse. I'd expect them to carry the can along with Mrs May and the Tories.

BigJR
Reserve Team Star

Oct 12, 2016, 2:01 PM

Team(s): Chelsea, Corinthian Casuals

Post #22 of 100 (5856 views)
Shortcut

There are certain elections due soon in Europe. I think the Tories will wait and see the result of those before making nay firm commitment.

UKPunk

Oct 14, 2016, 9:57 PM

Post #23 of 100 (5570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigJR] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There are certain elections due soon in Europe. I think the Tories will wait and see the result of those before making nay firm commitment.

Indeed. There's bound to be some horse trading between now and after those elections. Tongue

jrev61

Oct 15, 2016, 9:57 AM

Team(s): None

Post #24 of 100 (5470 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Indeed. There's bound to be some horse trading between now and after those elections. Tongue

Hopefully things will eventually become more Stable.

jrev61

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Oct 15, 2016, 10:27 AM

Post #25 of 100 (5461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] General Election??? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Neigh lad, I doubt it, could be a total mare, we`ll have to rein the government in!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3