Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Football in other countries:
Is it time to scrap international football competitions?

London Harrier
First Team Star

Aug 10, 2016, 1:20 PM

Post #1 of 10 (9480 views)
Shortcut
Is it time to scrap international football competitions? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thought-provoking piece on the WSC website today, reprinted from the World Cup Human Rights Blog. This paragraph really strikes a chord.

"In football, the movement of players between countries and nationalities has now become so fluid that the concept of a national team has lost much of its meaning. Thanks to the power of modern communications, there are no particular styles of play attributed to individual countries any more. There are no tactical secrets – everyone's reading from the same play-book, which may fluctuate between three, four or five men at the back without raising much excitement either way. Brazil and Cameroon have long been just as results-oriented as Denmark and the US"

Not sure I'd go as far as scraping it, but like the author, I do question the purpose of modern day international football in a world of increasingly blurred identities.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 11, 2016, 1:57 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 10 (9252 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Is it time to scrap international football competitions? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 274 /232 / 42 (You know my rules) @ 16 / 06 / 2019.
0-0's are standing at 18.
Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-0-0-0-0). Lux = 0-0. Neth-= 0-0-0-(0 - 0).
Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 11, 2016, 9:57 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #3 of 10 (9095 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Is it time to scrap international football competitions? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
No.

Incisive comment.Laugh

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 11, 2016, 10:02 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #4 of 10 (9087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Is it time to scrap international football competitions? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No.

Barbie
First Team Regular

Aug 11, 2016, 12:15 PM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #5 of 10 (9004 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Is it time to scrap international football competitions? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Definitely not. Though I could see the attraction for England as a way of avoiding the bi-annual soul searching.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 11, 2016, 3:13 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #6 of 10 (8916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] Is it time to scrap international football competitions? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Definitely not. Though I could see the attraction for England as a way of avoiding the bi-annual soul searching.

And the bi-annual disappointment the Scoots have to go through after failing to reach yet another finals.

East Fork Utd
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 18, 2016, 5:36 AM

Post #7 of 10 (6700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Is it time to scrap international football competitions? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd say no too. Wales and Iceland didn't shame themselves at the Euros this year. Tahiti may have been way out of its depth in the 2013 Confederations Cup, but what a thrill for their players and fans to see them qualify for a place in the 8-team affair.

The only knock I have on international play is friendlies. Unless they're used to test out new players and cap-tie them, I don't get the point.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 18, 2016, 2:51 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #8 of 10 (6509 views)
Shortcut
Re: [East Fork Utd] Is it time to scrap international football competitions? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'd say no too. Wales and Iceland didn't shame themselves at the Euros this year. Tahiti may have been way out of its depth in the 2013 Confederations Cup, but what a thrill for their players and fans to see them qualify for a place in the 8-team affair.

The only knock I have on international play is friendlies. Unless they're used to test out new players and cap-tie them, I don't get the point.

Most fiendlies will soon be consigned to room 101 with the introduction of the Nations League which starts in 2018.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Aug 18, 2016, 7:49 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #9 of 10 (6403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [East Fork Utd] Is it time to scrap international football competitions? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Friendlies don't 'cap-tie' players.

East Fork Utd
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 19, 2016, 12:18 AM

Post #10 of 10 (6279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Is it time to scrap international football competitions? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friendlies don't 'cap-tie' players.

Thanks for the info scotty...I did not know that!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3