Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Obituaries and Remembrances:
Russell Coughlin (Carlisle, Plymouth, Blackpool, Swansea et al)

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member! / Moderator

Aug 5, 2016, 10:30 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 3 (3224 views)
Shortcut
Russell Coughlin (Carlisle, Plymouth, Blackpool, Swansea et al) Can't Post or Reply Privately

Russell Coughlin

born 15th February 1960 (in Swansea)
died Wednesday 3rd August 2016 (in Carlisle) aged 56

Tough tackling midfielder
Wales schoolboys & youth caps

He made 585 league appearances and scored 41 goals in his 19 year career

He crashed his car after suffering a "medical episode"

1977-78 Manchester City 0/0
1978-80 Blackburn 24/0
1980-84 Carlisle 130/13
1984-87 Plymouth 131/18
1987-90 Blackpool 101/8
1990 Shrewsbury (loan) 5/0
1990-93 Swansea 101/2
1993-95 Exeter 68/0
1995-96 Torquay 25/0
1996-97 Dorchester (non league)

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Aug 5, 2016, 10:36 PM)

South Mercian
Junior Team Star

Aug 8, 2016, 8:34 PM

Team(s): Tamworth, WBA

Post #2 of 3 (2016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Russell Coughlin (Carlisle, Plymouth, Blackpool, Swansea et al) [In reply to] Can't Post or

Tribute from Peter Beardsley

Legend Peter Beardsley has paid tribute to his former Carlisle United team-mate Russell Coughlin, saying: "He was great for me."

The former England star says Coughlin, who has died aged 56, was a fine player and a great character during his time with the Blues.

Beardsley played alongside the Welsh midfielder at Carlisle from 1980-82, and was also in the Newcastle side when Coughlin scored two memorable goals for the Cumbrians in the 1983/4 campaign.

Coughlin died following a road accident in Carlisle on Wednesday.

Beardsley told the News & Star: "Russ was a good player, very under-rated and he was great for me.

"He was very skilful, could play a pass over any distance, and could score goals. The mould of a Paul Scholes - that's the style he played. He was tough, didn't mind a tackle, and in those days we were allowed to tackle.

"There's not a bad thing I could say about Russ. Football was different in my day - there was a camaraderie, everybody got on with everybody, everybody in the main was British, so the banter was flying around, and he was very much in the middle of that.

"With Carlisle, you know that those trips to Plymouth, Portsmouth and so on take forever, but he kept our spirits up on those journeys and was one of our jokers.

"He was always very happy to be at Carlisle and it's a very sad loss."

United confirmed they are planning a tribute to Coughlin when they host another of his former clubs, Plymouth Argyle, next Saturday.

Beardsley said the man who also played for Blackburn, Swansea, Blackpool and Exeter was typical of his era.

"He wasn't cocky or arrogant - just one of the lads," he said.

"In those days you could go and have a beer with the fans and he loved doing that.

"He loved a shot, as I saw in those two games when I was playing for Newcastle, and while I would sometimes have a complain at him for not passing, he had a very good record.

"A lot of people played like he did back then - with a smile on your face. Nobody ever made a meal of fouls and rolled around.

"Russell was a tackler, would put his foot in, and that's why people loved him - he was wholehearted and always gave 100 per cent.

"Football today has changed, media coverage has changed, but in those days you could almost be yourself. It was a lot more relaxed, and there weren't as many knockers.

"People ask me would I rather play now - no. There are some brilliant players and things in football, but I wouldn't swap those days of playing with people like Russ."

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 9, 2016, 4:19 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #3 of 3 (1862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [South Mercian] Russell Coughlin (Carlisle, Plymouth, Blackpool, Swansea et al) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Here is the tribute to Russell Coughlin posted on the Swansea City FC website...

http://www.swanseacity.net/...oughlin-3224674.aspx

Russell made 101 appearances and scored two goals for his home club between 1990 and 1993, a time when I was a regular at the Vetch Field. He was part of Frank Burrows' side that reached the Second Division play-offs in 1993, winning five of their final six matches of the season, and were then unlucky to narrowly lose to West Brom in the semi-final.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Aug 9, 2016, 5:55 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3