Good Fish & Chip Shops

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 13, 2016, 2:58 PM

Post #1 of 122 (9774 views)
Shortcut
Good Fish & Chip Shops Can't Post or

Don't think we have had this before but like Greasy Spoons it's always helpful to know where there is a good'un.

I will nominate the one in Wootton and Dry Sandford though shared with a Chinese it sells proper stuff like Spam Fritters and Cods Row. It's in the centre of the village opposite the Bystander pub. And it's called Leo.

In Highworth the one in the main drag is excellent the fish, chips and mushy peas are to die for and it's only a minute or two's walk from Highworth Town's ground.

Thirdly the one nearest to my house the Rose Hill Chippy is very good the chip portions are massive and we'll cooked. They do most things including Southern Fried Chicken and Oxford's national dish Donor Kebabs the chilli sauce is very hot They also offer Haddock and Cods Row..

Chris1963

Jul 13, 2016, 4:27 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #2 of 122 (9724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I might try the Rose Hill shop one day if they use vegetable oil to cook the chips in (Most do, but a few 'traditional' ones still use beef fat. These are mainly in the north of England but can crop up anywhere.)

garethwrexy

Jul 13, 2016, 5:34 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #3 of 122 (9674 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

maggies kitchen in holywell the chips and great and portions huge !

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Jul 13, 2016, 5:40 PM

Post #4 of 122 (9659 views)
Shortcut

Acmold; you have a splendid chippy in Headington. The portions of fish are massive.

Here in South Wales the chippy in Pontardawe is excellent. The batter they create is first-class.

acmold

Jul 13, 2016, 5:54 PM

Post #5 of 122 (9643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I might try the Rose Hill shop one day if they use vegetable oil to cook the chips in (Most do, but a few 'traditional' ones still use beef fat. These are mainly in the north of England but can crop up anywhere.)

I will ask next time I go in.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 13, 2016, 7:08 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #6 of 122 (9581 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Chips always taste better cooked in beef fat. It's how I was brought up and it's what I prefer. Unfortunately veggie oil seems the norm these days and chips just don't have the same taste.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

garethwrexy

Jul 13, 2016, 8:58 PM

Post #7 of 122 (9527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

when I lived in herne hill olly's fish and chips were the tops

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 13, 2016, 8:59 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #8 of 122 (9526 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
It's in the centre of the village opposite the Bystander pub. And it's called Leo.

Excellent nameSmile
(No relation)

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 13, 2016, 9:12 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #9 of 122 (9509 views)
Shortcut

I'll have to try the Rose Hill chip shop too. I walk past there when walking home after evening matches at The Kassam, but as there are lots of run-of-the-mill joints there too (the sort of places that serve frozen stringy chips), the chippy you mention has passed me by up to now.

Another good chip shop in Oxford is the one at Marston shops, opposite the BP garage and about five minutes walk from Oxford City FC's ground at Court Place Farm. It's called The Mediterranean Chip Shop - worth stopping at because OCFC don't cook chips in their tea-hut.

There's another good'un at the bottom of Abingdon Road, near The Duke Of Monmouth pub. (It is also called The Mediterranean, but I've no idea if they're owned by the same people).

They used to serve excellent chips at The Carfax Chippy, right in the centre of Oxford, but the place seemed to have been closed for several years now.

Chris1963

Jul 13, 2016, 10:12 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #10 of 122 (9478 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I will ask next time I go in.

Much appreciated. It might be a while for me though, as Oxford United don't seem to have any midweek league games at home in the first half of the season!

KnowYourMarket

Jul 14, 2016, 7:57 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #11 of 122 (9393 views)
Shortcut

You can't go wrong in Yorkshire for fish and chips. Usually cooked in beef dripping and also usually well priced.

Both chippies in Penrith are decent but they don't sell roe...Ian's Fish Bar in Cullompton is good and they do sell roe!

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Jul 14, 2016, 8:17 AM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #12 of 122 (9374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My vote would go to MAJORS in Bilston near Wolverhampton; it is just round the corner from the Olde White Rose (which appears shut at the moment) and the excellent Metro Bar micropub;
Majors serve chips that glow in the dark!!!

acmold

Jul 14, 2016, 9:01 AM

Post #13 of 122 (9354 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I'll have to try the Rose Hill chip shop too. I walk past there when walking home after evening matches at The Kassam, but as there are lots of run-of-the-mill joints there too (the sort of places that serve frozen stringy chips), the chippy you mention has passed me by up to now.

Another good chip shop in Oxford is the one at Marston shops, opposite the BP garage and about five minutes walk from Oxford City FC's ground at Court Place Farm. It's called The Mediterranean Chip Shop - worth stopping at because OCFC don't cook chips in their tea-hut.

There's another good'un at the bottom of Abingdon Road, near The Duke Of Monmouth pub. (It is also called The Mediterranean, but I've no idea if they're owned by the same people).

They used to serve excellent chips at The Carfax Chippy, right in the centre of Oxford, but the place seemed to have been closed for several years now.

The Rose Hill Chip Shop is proper chips, they use potatoes supplied by Robert Mitchell who used to be the biggest supplier of potatoes to Chip Shops in the Midlands. I know that from a past life when I used to audit their books - they come from Frankly near Rugby. If you see a Robert Mitchell lorry delivering Potatoes to a chip shop you can be pretty certain the chips should be OK.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 14, 2016, 10:16 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #14 of 122 (9304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
My vote would go to MAJORS in Bilston near Wolverhampton; it is just round the corner from the Olde White Rose (which appears shut at the moment) and the excellent Metro Bar micropub;
Majors serve chips that glow in the dark!!!

There used to be (and probably still is) loads of chip shops in your area that knock out these chips that glow in the dark, has to be the fat used surely but they aint half good!!

acmold

Jul 14, 2016, 10:23 AM

Post #15 of 122 (9299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To
It's in the centre of the village opposite the Bystander pub. And it's called Leo.

Excellent nameSmile
(No relation)

Not forgetting the Noodle Bar in Headington named after your good lady wife.

UKPunk

Jul 14, 2016, 11:51 AM

Post #16 of 122 (9265 views)
Shortcut

Colin's Battered Sausage 122 Holland Road, Clacton-on-Sea 01255 223463

Eat in or take away. No extra cost to eat in and just a five minute walk from what will be Holland FC's new ground when it opens for season 2017-18.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

KnowYourMarket

Jul 14, 2016, 12:05 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #17 of 122 (9251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Orange chips (yuk) are that colour because they have a light batter coating.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

garethwrexy

Jul 14, 2016, 5:32 PM

Post #18 of 122 (9096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Grimsby has best fish and chips !

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 14, 2016, 6:10 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #19 of 122 (9062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Is it a fallacy that the best F & C are to be had on the coast? In my experiences of Brighton, Scarborough and Southport it certainly is.

acmold

Jul 14, 2016, 6:44 PM

Post #20 of 122 (9023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

Is it a fallacy that the best F & C are to be had on the coast? In my experiences of Brighton, Scarborough and Southport it certainly is.

Yes had some bad ones in Blackpool and one of the worst ever on Canvey Island. The Midlands and South Wales seem to have many good Fish & Chip shops. The one in Glynneath at the end of last season was very good.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 14, 2016, 7:17 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #21 of 122 (8981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Cleethorpes chippys are generally much better in my experience, Ernie Becketts being my favourite.

Kingston and Carvers in Scunny are decent and we have a superb chippy in Scotter which only opens Thu and Fri nights and Fri and Sat lunchtimes. It's called Clarks not to be confused with the other chippy in the village, Scotter Fisheries, which is sh*te.

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

windydcfc

Jul 14, 2016, 8:11 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #22 of 122 (8942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

You are right, I've had some of the worst F & C at famous chippy in Skeg-Vegas near the roundabout on the sea front.

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jul 14, 2016, 9:27 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #23 of 122 (8892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

You are right, I've had some of the worst F & C at famous chippy in Skeg-Vegas near the roundabout on the sea front.

Cannot beat Tates in Boston! However, Eagles near the football ground is always popular with away fans it seems.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jul 14, 2016, 9:50 PM

Team(s):

Post #24 of 122 (8874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Kingston and Carvers in Scunny are decent and we have a superb chippy in Scotter which only opens Thu and Fri nights and Fri and Sat lunchtimes.

That reminds me of one I used to go to in Ixworth - which I think shut at 7pm - must have been some condition on their opening hours, as I missed it a few times when I was late coming home.

windydcfc

Jul 14, 2016, 10:14 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #25 of 122 (8848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Good Fish & Chip Shops [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Cannot beat Tates in Boston! However, Eagles near the football ground is always popular with away fans it seems.

Is that the chippy that has a restaurant as well? It's down a side street off the main square.

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3