WSL to switch to winter

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Jul 12, 2016, 2:56 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #1 of 13 (31637 views)
Shortcut
WSL to switch to winter Can't Post or Reply Privately

The WSL will move from summer to winter from 2017/18. After the end of this season (2016) a mini season will take place in the spring of 2017 with each team playing each other once and no promotion/relegation at the end. This is to prepare the players for Euro2017. The 2017/18 season will run from Sept to May and will run concurrently with the WPL. The change to winter football is to make clubs more competitive in Europe. How this will effect attendances isn't known as the women's game will be up against the men's game.

WestBerksPalace
First Team Regular

Jul 14, 2016, 5:03 PM

Team(s): Crystal Palace and Epsom and Ewell.

Post #2 of 13 (30839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] WSL to switch to winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can see the logic in moving to winter, but this will decimate crowds IMO. The statement on the BBC from the FA quoted the reasons for the move, one of them being to increase the fan base!!
How on earth will they do that? up against all of men's football, league and non-league.
As a fan of the WSL myself (secondary to my team and groundhopping), I think it highly unlikely I'd watch much of it in the Winter.
This will be a death knell for the women's game just when it seemed to be making some progress in the consciousness of fans.
Crazy crazy move.

2017-18 - 44 games (Reading Women), 142 goals, av gpg 3.22, 20 new grounds.
2016-17 - 103 games, 329 goals, av gpg 3.19, 41 new grounds.
New Grounds in 2017 -40, 16 - 42, 15 - 63, Last new -Sporting Khalsa 11/11/17. Grounds in Total - 1144.
RL Grounds - 32 (Last - Belle Vue, Wakefield Trinity RL (1/7/17), Speedway Tracks 50.

kirby knitters
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 14, 2016, 6:46 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #3 of 13 (30775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] WSL to switch to winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They should do most of us a favor and switch it to another planet!

Kirby Muxloe FC.
Former proud members of The Midland Football League.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Jul 14, 2016, 7:29 PM

Post #4 of 13 (30746 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] WSL to switch to winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think the idea behind the switch could be that summer football is always disrupted by international competitions. I agree that crowd will suffer and maybe a summer break should have been introduced along with a more formal fixture list. At the moment it is difficult to know when teams are playing.

They only thing with playing in winter is that WSL teams playing in Europe will be match fit for these European club games. I see no other benefit.

Richard Rundle

Jul 16, 2016, 11:34 AM

Post #5 of 13 (29999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] WSL to switch to winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Will non-league clubs be willing to host WSL games along with all their own clubs games in the winter?

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Jul 16, 2016, 3:05 PM

Post #6 of 13 (29925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] WSL to switch to winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Will non-league clubs be willing to host WSL games along with all their own clubs games in the winter?

Good point

kirby knitters

Jul 16, 2016, 3:14 PM

Post #7 of 13 (29921 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Good point

Cash is the key and how many non-league clubs will turn down the offer of a few quid more no matter what damage it will potentially do to the pitch? They would have to be mad.

Kirby Muxloe FC.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Jul 16, 2016, 6:38 PM

Post #8 of 13 (29848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] WSL to switch to winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Liverpool, Man City and Sunderland don't play at non-league grounds so they should benefit from better playing surfaces during the winter. Liverpool & Everton play at Widnes RLFC and there's no RL over the winter so the pitch should hold up well.

kirby knitters

Jul 16, 2016, 7:05 PM

Post #9 of 13 (29832 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Liverpool, Man City and Sunderland don't play at non-league grounds so they should benefit from better playing surfaces during the winter. Liverpool & Everton play at Widnes RLFC and there's no RL over the winter so the pitch should hold up well.

I agree, Widnes RLFC pitch should have no problems at all.Sly

Kirby Muxloe FC.

Swindon Addick
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 17, 2016, 2:28 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City, Charlton Athletic

Post #10 of 13 (29420 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Good point

Cash is the key and how many non-league clubs will turn down the offer of a few quid more no matter what damage it will potentially do to the pitch? They would have to be mad.

Most WPL teams at the two levels below WSL play on borrowed non-league club pitches. One or two are artificial pitches, but most are grass and all seem to do OK. It's not many matches, even once you factor in cups, and there's almost no midweek football. Plus it's a boost for bar takings on a Sunday when things might be quiet.

Overall I can't see too many practical problems, but I have to agree with others that it's hard to see how it can be beneficial for crowd numbers.

In the future, everyone will be Charlton manager for 15 minutes.

Chris1963

Jul 20, 2016, 10:56 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #11 of 13 (28062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Swindon Addick] WSL to switch to winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't watch women's football but I think it is a big mistake to switch to winter as I think crowds will be smaller.
Although I don't normally bother doing so, I was watching the Women's Football Show on BBC2 on Monday night and the discussion between the presenter and two guests about the switch to winter was most disappointing. The BBC could, and should, have had a balanced discussion by making sure that opposing points of view were aired. Instead, what we got was the two guests and the presenter all agreeing that the switch was a good idea. None of the three could give a really good reason, all they did was to spout a load of nonsense. The word "iconic" was mentioned at least three times.
At least the match highlights (from games played at Staines and Solihull Moors) were well presented. I noticed that many of the spectators appeared to be families with children, wearing Premier League replica kits. Will these people turn up regularly on a cold winter's day?

acmold

Jul 21, 2016, 8:12 AM

Post #12 of 13 (27859 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] WSL to switch to winter [In reply to] Can't Post or

I've been to three games at Abingdon United where Oxford United play. I only go when the weather is nice and have nothing else bether to do. The car park in on grass behind the old stand so in summer is usable much of the time can't see it being so in winter. The attendances are quite good 400 / 500 in the winter I think this may well be halved.

Eastbourne
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 21, 2016, 11:51 AM

Team(s): Chelsea,Eastbourne clubs

Post #13 of 13 (27782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] WSL to switch to winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Having a quick look at Chelsea ladies as an example.
This season 20/3/16 to 6/11/16 they will play 21 matches, having gone out of both cups.
15 of these will be played in what we call the mens winter league timeframe, and 6 will be played in summer (25/5/16 to 24/7/16)
These 6 games in another season would be played between November and March and its only these 6 games which might have attendances lowered owing to the weather.
75% of their season would see no change as they are already up against the men and televised games, and the crowds that do show up are probably the hard core you would get anytime.

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3