First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 11, 2016, 11:52 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #1 of 60 (10066 views)
Shortcut
Most Saturdays you've attended football on Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looking through my records recently, it occurred to me that I have a very good record of attending a match on every Saturday in some months. Obviously, some months are much more difficult than others due to bad weather and inevitably everyone will have missed the odd Saturday now and then. Even August and May can be tricky at times - thunderstorms are more common in August than in any other month, and the later Saturdays in May can be difficult to with regards to finding fixtures. Sometimes you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time even when plenty of games are being played elsewhere. Then there are work and family commitments, although I have been fortunate enough not to be affected by these. My best three months are as follows, strictly in the order they appear in the calendar;

April - the last time I failed to see a game on a Saturday in this month was on Saturday 28th April 1979 (probably because I was at boarding school that day)

September - last time I did not attend a match on a Saturday was on Saturday 27th September 1980 (I definitely was at boarding school that day)

October - The last Saturday I did not see a was just two weeks after the above, Saturday 11th October 1980, again while I was at boarding school (for the record, I did get to see a game on 4th October that year!)

However, the above includes some Saturdays which were less than satisfactory, and which some people would not count. On two Saturdays in October I arrived after the kick-off and on another two October Saturdays the match in question was abandoned.
In April there have been a couple of Saturdays when I arrived after the kick-off.
Consequently, some people would say that September is the only 'perfect' month as it is the only month which every Saturday match I attended was when I had arrived before the kick-off and was played to its conclusion.

I am sure there are people on here who will not have missed a September Saturday since the 1960's, or any other month for that matter. Over to you.....

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Jul 12, 2016, 3:41 PM)

derekn
First Team Star

Jul 12, 2016, 12:57 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #2 of 60 (9936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Fewest Saturdays you've missed in a month [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I haven't missed a single Saturday since the day I was born. Is this normal?

Chris1963

Jul 12, 2016, 3:37 PM

Post #3 of 60 (9840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Fewest Saturdays you've missed in a month [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I've now amended the title of this thread to avoid any confusion. But well spotted, and not a bad joke. It has to be said that this is one of those rare occasions where it is very difficult to get the title of a thread just right.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Jul 12, 2016, 3:43 PM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 12, 2016, 8:15 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #4 of 60 (9697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Fewest Saturdays you've missed in a month [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

No, I've missed a couple of Saturdays, and I cannot even remember what happened on Friday night

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Into the nervous 990s. 3998 - Stade Lievre d'Or, Chateauneuf sur Loire

Chris1963

Jul 20, 2016, 11:20 PM

Post #5 of 60 (9297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Fewest Saturdays you've missed in a month [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The response to this thread has been a bit disappointing, but I have just remembered (thanks to the comments on the Wokingham & Emmbrook thread) that many people will have missed the Saturday in September 1997 when Diana's funeral was taking place and nearly all football in the UK was called off as a mark of respect. I was in France that day (Wasquehal) and I know that some other hoppers also went to France or Eire that day. I believe the Kent County League did play most of its fixtures, but not the ones taking place in Greater London out of deference to the funeral's location. There may have also been a few other leagues - probably below Step 7 - playing but it would have been very difficult to be able to guarantee seeing a match that day without going abroad.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Jul 20, 2016, 11:20 PM)

Tim

Jul 20, 2016, 11:26 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #6 of 60 (9291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Fewest Saturdays you've missed in a month [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This may not have occurred to you, Chris, but many people do other things as well as watching football.

Chris1963

Jul 20, 2016, 11:41 PM

Post #7 of 60 (9279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Fewest Saturdays you've missed in a month [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yeah, I'm aware of that but it must be obvious that I'm talking about die-hard hoppers who never miss a game on a Saturday unless they are physically prevented from doing so by bad weather or illness. I'm not talking about the population in general.

dottirofhod

Jul 21, 2016, 1:30 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #8 of 60 (9238 views)
Shortcut

Bethune on Diana funeral day.

No idea how many Saturdays I've missed.

Just a fortnight ago saw league games on Thurs/ Friday/Sunday/ Monday. (7/8/10/11) No Saturday games feasible to watch.

Why is it so important to watch games on a Saturday ?

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 228 / 18 / 40 (You know my rules) @24 /04 /2019. Only 17 x 0-0's - ( 3 in 10 recently !).
Project TFTopTierUEFAGrounds2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).(Inc Summer Leagues 2019. TBC) .
Need - 102 (14-3 %) @ 22/04/2019.
Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/author/dadofdottie/

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 21, 2016, 11:27 AM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #9 of 60 (9014 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yeah, I'm aware of that but it must be obvious that I'm talking about die-hard hoppers who never miss a game on a Saturday unless they are physically prevented from doing so by bad weather or illness. I'm not talking about the population in general.

I occasionally miss a Saturday due to bad weather or illness, but more often because I've got other things to do. Probably not "die-hard" enough.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

sjj2112
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 21, 2016, 2:07 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alexandra, Nantwich Town, Ashford Town (Middx), Venezia

Post #10 of 60 (8927 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I guess I must just be a member of the population in general who happens to have done several hundred football grounds then...

I'm a man of many anoraks.....

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 21, 2016, 3:35 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #11 of 60 (8885 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

.....or family events such as weddings & funerals etc. I think you've got little response as it's not of any real interest to anyone. Other than you obviously. Have you ever "missed" a Saturday due to walking away from a programme-less game?

Chris1963

Jul 21, 2016, 3:44 PM

Post #12 of 60 (8881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Fewest Saturdays you've missed in a month [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Bethune on Diana funeral day.

No idea how many Saturdays I've missed.

Just a fortnight ago saw league games on Thurs/ Friday/Sunday/ Monday. (7/8/10/11) No Saturday games feasible to watch.

Why is it so important to watch games on a Saturday ?

Yes, I remember you (or Peter?) telling me about Bethune when we met up at a match in Belgium the following Sunday.

There was an occasion (in 1998) when I was touring Canada and there was no game for me to watch on the Saturday, only on the Sunday. However, this was in June or July so it didn't bother me as much as it would have done in any other month. Also, I think that it was just before the internet era began which meant that one had to take chances with fixtures and I would not allow such a situation to happen again nowadays.

Why is it so important to watch a game on Saturday? Because I say so!

Eastbourne
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 21, 2016, 4:02 PM

Team(s): Chelsea,Eastbourne clubs

Post #13 of 60 (8864 views)
Shortcut

Why do you think you are so important?

Chris1963

Jul 21, 2016, 8:58 PM

Post #14 of 60 (8739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Eastbourne] Fewest Saturdays you've missed in a month [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Why do you think you are so important?

I don't consider myself to be more important than anyone else on this forum. If you were referring to my last line in the previous post ("Because I say so!") you presumably haven't grasped the obvious fact, which is that my comment was intended as a joke.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Jul 21, 2016, 8:59 PM)

Chris1963

Jul 21, 2016, 9:33 PM

Post #15 of 60 (8712 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Fewest Saturdays you've missed in a month [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

.....or family events such as weddings & funerals etc. I think you've got little response as it's not of any real interest to anyone. Other than you obviously. Have you ever "missed" a Saturday due to walking away from a programme-less game?

To answer your question at the end, the answer is no. I will be honest here and admit that I have very occasionally walked away from programme-less games, but these have all been in midweek, since I don't consider such days to be important in football terms.
I have lost count of the number of times I have turned up at an English non-league ground on a Saturday and found that there was no programme, but in such cases I have always stayed to watch the match, unless there was another match nearby and there was enough time to get there.

As for your earlier comment about weddings, there was an occasion some years ago when I did get invited to one by relatives on my father's side of the family. As it was during the football season, I turned it down, giving some excuse unrelated to football although I can't remember what it was. The funny thing was that they didn't invite my brother, who was more likely to have attended! (and in case anyone is wondering, my brother isn't a criminal or anything of the sort.)

dottirofhod

Jul 21, 2016, 9:43 PM

Post #16 of 60 (8698 views)
Shortcut

Yes Chris that was the first thing to go through my mind that your brother was a criminal.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 228 / 18 / 40 (You know my rules) @24 /04 /2019. Only 17 x 0-0's - ( 3 in 10 recently !).
Project TFTopTierUEFAGrounds2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).(Inc Summer Leagues 2019. TBC) .

Chris1963

Jul 21, 2016, 9:48 PM

Post #17 of 60 (8692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Fewest Saturdays you've missed in a month [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Yes Chris that was the first thing to go through my mind that your brother was a criminal.

I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that - obviously, if someone is not invited to a wedding the most likely reason is a criminal record.
The reason my brother was not invited was probably because he had never bothered to visit the relatives in question, unlike myself (although obviously I didn't visit them on Saturdays!)

acmold

Jul 21, 2016, 9:49 PM

Post #18 of 60 (8689 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Fewest Saturdays you've missed in a month [In reply to] Can't Post or

Think that is a common thing people invite quite a few people they know won't turn up but tell them well in advance. I actually went to a cousins Birthday party on a Saturday afternoon four years ago instead of going to football. As did a number of other members of my family. I always remember Oxford were away to Burton a game a friend of mine missed as the car he was travelling in broke down. It was the first competitive game he had missed years and years.

Barbie
First Team Sub

Jul 21, 2016, 10:07 PM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #19 of 60 (8666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Fewest Saturdays you've missed in a month [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I recall that at my 1st wedding, my then wife proposed a vote of thanks to Taunton Town FC for knocking Barry out of the FA Cup, thus enabling the groom and best man to be present.

buncranaboy

Jul 21, 2016, 10:15 PM

Post #20 of 60 (8651 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that - obviously, if someone is not invited to a wedding the most likely reason is a criminal record.

I think that you live in a very different world to everyone else Chris. Would you not think that the main reason some people are not invited to some weddings might be related to costs/budgetary pressures?
Besides, we all know that being in possession of a match programme eliminates the holder from any suspicion of being involved in criminal activity on the date of said match. Obviously.

Chris1963

Jul 21, 2016, 10:23 PM

Post #21 of 60 (8634 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Fewest Saturdays you've missed in a month [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think that you live in a very different world to everyone else Chris. Would you not think that the main reason some people are not invited to some weddings might be related to costs/budgetary pressures?

Inviting just one extra person to a wedding isn't going to massively increase the costs in catering, etc. The people on my father's side of the family aren't chavs and the wedding was in a church, not a registry office so money wasn't an issue for them.

buncranaboy

Jul 21, 2016, 10:28 PM

Post #22 of 60 (8626 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Inviting just one extra person to a wedding isn't going to massively increase the costs in catering, etc. The people on my father's side of the family aren't chavs and the wedding was in a church, not a registry office so money wasn't an issue for them.

Not chavs, but potential criminals, eh ? Was Jimmy Savile invited ?

Chris1963

Jul 21, 2016, 10:50 PM

Post #23 of 60 (8610 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

No, he wasn't invited. My father died long before Savile did so I was never able to ask him about the allegations. However, I have been in touch with someone close to my father. Like him, she also worked at Stoke Mandeville. She says that she didn't particularly like Savile, but was not aware of him doing anything wrong at the hospital and is of the opinion that as he is dead he is not able to give his side of the story.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Jul 21, 2016, 10:51 PM)

windydcfc

Jul 21, 2016, 11:12 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #24 of 60 (8588 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

No, he wasn't invited. My father died long before Savile did so I was never able to ask him about the allegations. However, I have been in touch with someone close to my father. Like him, she also worked at Stoke Mandeville. She says that she didn't particularly like Savile, but was not aware of him doing anything wrong at the hospital and is of the opinion that as he is dead he is not able to give his side of the story.

Are you aware if Jim was able to fix-it, for any of the people you know. To milk a cow blindfolded?

dottirofhod

Jul 21, 2016, 11:33 PM

Post #25 of 60 (8573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Fewest Saturdays you've missed in a month [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Are you aware if Jim was able to fix-it, for any of the people you know. To milk a cow blindfolded?

We could all turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to all accusations. Oh no , what have I said now ?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3