Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Austerity Cuts

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 4, 2016, 11:55 AM

Post #1 of 10 (2249 views)
Shortcut
Austerity Cuts Can't Post or

I've seen some Tweets where people are saying they voted out in the referendum due to being fed up of cuts to public services. Most if not all appear to come from the north and many are under the impression that the cuts are only effecting them and their area.

Around here cuts have been pretty drastic and ongoing and many everyday services are vastly reduced or have disappeared. But when I go to other places even those who say they have had "severe" cuts they don't seem to be any worst off "cut" wise or seem to not to have been effected.

I was wondering what has been cut in different areas and do people look at it differently. Many around here are up in arms about it but on the other hand if it is bring the national debt down they moan and then get on with things. We tend to sweep our own street and pick up litter.

Here things such as street cleaning has been cut to a minimum, refuse collection has changed and if you want green waste collected you have to pay extra, in my road that is 180 a year in other areas 50. Libraries, Swimming Pools etc are being closed, we have had one pool built but another is being sold off for housing to pay for it and the new one is built on what was a football pitch. Leisure Centres or lack of them are non existent in many areas in fact they always have been a lack of them. Things like council owned 3G pitches don't exist and never have done. Hiring of public facilities such as pitches for sport are now so high many clubs can't afford them. Many community centres have closed Over 100 bus routes are finishing around now as subsidies have been withdrawn. All the services to the old, children and infirm have been cut to the bone.

The knock on effect in the community which has lost over 20,000 manufacturing jobs in the last 30 years to be replaced by minimum wage jobs in warehouses and shops is over half the pubs in a large area have been closed down and social life is at a minimum.

The other problem is the cost of living is very high and virtually no one can get on to the property ladder and many properties end up in the hands of the already rich landlords which inflates the price of rental accommodation. A semi cost around 350k for a very run of the mill place a good one upwards of 450k and many properties sell for over a million mostly fueled by the University.

derekn
First Team Star

Jul 4, 2016, 12:01 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #2 of 10 (2240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Austerity Cuts [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If you want Community owned and run leisure facilities, you should move to France. (wish I could)

dottirofhod

Jul 4, 2016, 12:18 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #3 of 10 (2227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Austerity Cuts [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If you want Community owned and run leisure facilities, you should move to France. (wish I could).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ayrshire coast is nice.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 20 / 19 / 1 / inc 1 x 0-0. (You know my rules) @ 21 / 07 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-3-4-2). Lux = 0-3. Neth-= 0-0-0-(2 - 2).

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 4, 2016, 12:39 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #4 of 10 (2197 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Here things such as street cleaning has been cut to a minimum, refuse collection has changed and if you want green waste collected you have to pay extra, in my road that is 180 a year in other areas 50.

Not wishing to pour petrol on your ire, but the city council are still street-sweeping the tourist-clogged city centre with their usual enthusiasm and extravagance - the cuts to street-sweeping are almost entirely in the suburbs like your own (where ratepayers like yourself live).

Queen's College is presently spending stupid amounts on a new underground library, with the result of several (and at times dozens) of cement-mixer lorries trundling up and down Queen's Lane every day since last summer, and onwards for another year and a half. Queen's Lane (I work close-by) is a quarter-mile-long lane with no residents, no shops and just the back-doors to three or four colleges, though it is a magnet for tourist and tour groups. So rest asured that the city council are cleaning this particular Queen's back passage as if it were your poorly liittle nephew's dinner plate, with no doubt (some if not quite all) the resultant costs passed on the the council tax bills of the residents of Marston, Iffley, Cowley et al.

PaulC

Jul 4, 2016, 12:51 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #5 of 10 (2173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Austerity Cuts [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
If you want Community owned and run leisure facilities, you should move to France. (wish I could).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ayrshire coast is nice.

It is.

acmold

Jul 4, 2016, 1:11 PM

Post #6 of 10 (2146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Austerity Cuts [In reply to] Can't Post or

That is why many would like to see everything east of Magdalen Bridge separated from the city. Independance for Cowley and Headington treated like other "suburbs" such as Botley, Abingdon and Kidlington. My house was built in 1934 and at the time was not in the City. When I was a kid it was 400 yards up the road now it is the bridge over the dual carriageway meaning Littlemore is in the City but Sandford is not despite being adjourned. The powers that be must decide where the city ends and take in all the built up area and stop taking from the have nots and giving to the already haves. The boundaries should be like Swindon, Newport and Peterborough.

Chris1963

Jul 13, 2016, 9:59 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #7 of 10 (1816 views)
Shortcut

I'm sure many of us are glad to see the back of George Osborne. His replacement Philip Hammond can't be any worse, can he?

Some of the other new Cabinet jobs are a bit surprising. Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary should be entertaining, although I understand that he speaks fluent French. And as for Liam Fox becoming International Trade Secretary....has Theresa forgotten all about his freeloading 'adviser' Adam Werritty?

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Jul 13, 2016, 10:00 PM)

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Jul 13, 2016, 11:03 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #8 of 10 (1775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Austerity Cuts [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Ayrshire coast is nice.

As my sis opined, she recently moved from Ayr to Bezier, shame about the people though Cool

acmold

Jul 14, 2016, 10:26 AM

Post #9 of 10 (1535 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Austerity Cuts [In reply to] Can't Post or

A Tweet this morning says someone wrote F off next to Boris's name and a Civil Servant misinterpreted it.

BigJR
Reserve Team Star

Jul 15, 2016, 11:54 AM

Team(s): Chelsea, Corinthian Casuals

Post #10 of 10 (1375 views)
Shortcut

I can't believe Jeremy Hunt retained 'Health'.

That doesn't bode well after the way he's treated junior doctors.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3