INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Football in other countries:
Euro 2016 question

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 26, 2016, 12:19 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #1 of 5 (3777 views)
Shortcut
Euro 2016 question Can't Post or Reply Privately

Both Germany and Croatia could have played the 3rd placed team in groups B and F (Slovakia and Portugal). I can find plenty of information about ranking of 3rd placed teams and how to decide if two teams are level in the same group, but nothing to say why news agencies were quoting that Germany would play Slovakia before the group E games were played so it can't have been just on a draw basis? As both Germany and Slovakia had the better winner/3rd placed records, it can't be their records at the tournament either - surely it can't just have been FIFA coefficient?

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (923) Sportplatz Aspern SV Aspern 4-2 Maccabi Wien
With FC United: 132
On the agenda:
15/6 Milford Marlins v Saddleworth Rangers (rl)
16/6 York City Knights v Rochdale Hornets (rl)
22/6 Antrim v Kildare (gaelic football)

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 26, 2016, 12:29 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #2 of 5 (3761 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Euro 2016 question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My boss has a Euro 2016 poster at work & it shows that only 3 possible 3rd place teams could play each group winner. Without studying why I can't help you. But I assume that with 6 groups they are making sure that 3rd place teams aren't in the same side of the draw as the group winners.

zebedee
First Team Star

Jun 26, 2016, 1:16 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #3 of 5 (3730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Euro 2016 question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There were 15 possible combinations of third placed teams qualifying for the last 16. For each combination there was a specific arrangement of which group winner would play which third placed side - arranged to prevent sides from the same groups meeting until the semi finals at least. The link below shows the table - we ended up with the BCEF combination.

http://www.eurosport.com/...o5651583/story.shtml

Barbie
First Team Regular

Jun 26, 2016, 1:18 PM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #4 of 5 (3726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Euro 2016 question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is the table that explains which group winner would play which 3rd placed team.

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 27, 2016, 1:13 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #5 of 5 (3426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] Euro 2016 question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks Barbie et al

The listings I'd seen only had that the winners of C and D could play ABF and BEF respectively, I can see now that it was always stacked that Germany would meet the 3rd placed team from group B, whilst the group D winners would most likely play the 3rd team from group F. As soon as Albania were eliminated, the last possibility of Slovakia playing anyone other than Germany vanished.

One point to note is the winners and 3rd placed team in group F were always likely to be in the same half of the draw, and the same applies to group E and 3rd in group E. But you'd only be mixing them potentially with the runners up from that group otherwise - the setup as a whole guarantees that no team can repeat a group game before the semi final at least. In fact it won't be before the final this time as L16 results have fallen.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (923) Sportplatz Aspern SV Aspern 4-2 Maccabi Wien
With FC United: 132
On the agenda:
15/6 Milford Marlins v Saddleworth Rangers (rl)
16/6 York City Knights v Rochdale Hornets (rl)
22/6 Antrim v Kildare (gaelic football)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3