Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Administration: Messages from / Questions to Administrators:
"Mark all read" leads to existential angst.

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

May 7, 2016, 12:10 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #1 of 5 (7337 views)
Shortcut
"Mark all read" leads to existential angst. Can't Post or Reply Privately

When I hit "Mark all read", do only the red items I can immediately see become so marked, or if I was delayed e.g. by a phone call, would other not yet collated unread posts also be included?

Professional cretin.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 8, 2016, 1:29 AM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #2 of 5 (7115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] "Mark all read" leads to existential angst. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Going absolutely the other way, as well as the "mark all read" button any chance of a "mark all unread" button too? And how long does it take for for a section to become entirely unread in the main menu?

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

steve walker
Administrator

May 8, 2016, 1:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 5 (6958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] "Mark all read" leads to existential angst. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not sure I quite understand the question.

Mark all read makes the assumption that you have opened all forum threads and read them. Only the posts made since you hit the button will be marked as unread.

Mark all as unread... I'm not really sure about that. Clearing the browser cache and deleting forum cookies would do it I presume.

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

May 8, 2016, 2:21 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #4 of 5 (6943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] "Mark all read" leads to existential angst. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

OK - I worry that 'new posts' may enter the system between when I view the page initially and then hit the 'mark as read' 'button' - would those new posts; not yet collated on the page; also be 'marked as read', even though I couldn't yet know they're there?

The duration of going from initial viewing of the page to hitting 'mark as read' is usually (say) one-fifth of a second. But, for argument's sake, were I to deviate slightly (answering phone) before hitting 'mark as read' for a couple/ten more seconds... it occurred to me that I might within that extra time taken, lose posts I'd have wished to have seen.

Maybe a different way to ask the question is: Can 'mark as read' mark anything that's not shown on screen as I deploy it?

Does that make more sense? Tx.

Professional cretin.

scottywalds
First Team Star

May 9, 2016, 11:11 AM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #5 of 5 (6837 views)
Shortcut

Why not just refresh the page, before you hit Mark All Read?

The forum doesn't see your screen, it will simply mark all posts that exist at the moment you click the button!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3