Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Goslings FC

Ashton49Pieman
Junior Team Regular

Apr 6, 2016, 1:15 AM

Post #1 of 18 (10028 views)
Shortcut
Goslings FC Can't Post or Reply Privately

Apparently Goslings FC were a well known amateur club in the post WW2 days, particularly in the Manchester area run on similar lines to Northern Nomads, Corinthian /Casuals in earlier years and from hearsay were able to match many semi-pro/pro teams.

But despite playing in the Manchester League at that time( which was a far stronger league than today with teams from Man Utd and the like with Busby Babes in the team, I can find no information about Goslings at all. Except that they were Manchester League champions 1946/47/48/49/50 No idea where they were based or played and why their dominance was so complete yet apparently so short lived

They did not appear to compete in FA Cup, FA Amateur Cup and no league details seem available - in fact I cannot even find their name in print at all except for those 4 Championship wins.

Has any one got information about them please

(This post was edited by Ashton49Pieman on Apr 6, 2016, 1:27 AM)

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 6, 2016, 6:42 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 18 (10001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashton49Pieman] Goslings FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Walter Shepherd played for England Amateurs at left half whilst with Goslings.

Goslings folded at the end of 1949-50 and he moved to Macclesfield Town
where he was a regular for six seasons in their Cheshire League team at that time
winning the league once and the Cheshire Senior Cup three times.

Goslings also won
Manchester Junior Cup 1942, 44, 46
Manchester Amateur Cup 1944, 45
Manchester Challenge Shield 1944, 48

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Apr 6, 2016, 6:47 AM)

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 6, 2016, 8:30 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #3 of 18 (9992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Goslings FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Shepherd was notable for wearing glasses whilst playing. Described in the Guardian as "the first international player to play upfield in glasses and one of the few who have won international honours from teams so humbly circumstanced as Goslings."

AN interesting discussion here

"Where there is however a mysterious connection is with a local amateur club called Goslings who were a very strong amateur side in Manchester around the second world war time .
It is possible they were the Manchester equivalent of The Corinthians.
They certainly fed a more than average number into Manchester United and Manchester City.

Nobody at Manchester United will talk about what happened.
I am privileged in as much as i have a strong working relationship with the Manchester United museum and they won't talk.
Rumour has it that Manchester United were writing "expense" cheques for the Goslings who then got greedy and demanded more.

United cut them off and i believe they folded. "
http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=75996

(This post was edited by PaulC on Apr 6, 2016, 8:36 AM)

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Apr 6, 2016, 1:04 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #4 of 18 (9932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Goslings FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From memory, the "Saga of the Silkmen" which I withdrew, very furtively you understand, from Altrincham library, states that Goslings were merged into, or taken over, by Macclesfield, where their players formed the nucleus of the reserve team. The club were based in Stretford, obviously near Manchester United, but despite their name sounding like that of a works team, they were actually founded by the Gosling family, many of whom played for the team.

PaulC

Apr 6, 2016, 3:36 PM

Post #5 of 18 (9886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Goslings FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
From memory, the "Saga of the Silkmen" which I withdrew, very furtively you understand, from Altrincham library, states that Goslings were merged into, or taken over, by Macclesfield, where their players formed the nucleus of the reserve team. The club were based in Stretford, obviously near Manchester United, but despite their name sounding like that of a works team, they were actually founded by the Gosling family, many of whom played for the team.

It's an interesting thread. I'd always assumed they were a works team.

PaulC

Apr 6, 2016, 5:16 PM

Post #6 of 18 (9858 views)
Shortcut

Team photo with a couple of Gosling gentlemen. Mr A Gosling and Mr ? Gosling (what do you reckon the uncleari initial is?).

https://www.flickr.com/.../mrmujac/15288419445

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 6, 2016, 5:28 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #7 of 18 (9856 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Team photo with a couple of Gosling gentlemen. Mr A Gosling and Mr ? Gosling (what do you reckon the uncleari initial is?).

https://www.flickr.com/.../mrmujac/15288419445

It's an E. Slightly obscured to look like it maybe an F but magnified you can clearly see the tip of the bottom bar of the E, and can make out the slight linear blemish that causes this obscuring going across the bottom of a number of characters.

bmccoll
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 6, 2016, 6:11 PM

Post #8 of 18 (9844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Goslings FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's definitely an E, double checked with my galsses off and screen 1 inch from my face!

http://www.scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf/

PaulC

Apr 6, 2016, 6:24 PM

Post #9 of 18 (9843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Goslings FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The amateur international Shepherd is certainly a big lad compared to the others.

Cockburn and Crompton each made over 200 appearances for Manchester United.

It's very difficult to judge the ages of the two Goslings. I can't even decide if they are perhaps father and son or brothers.

Guessing that A Gosling is aged around 40 in the photo there are a couple of likely "A Gosling"s in the 1911 Census for Manchester but there are no male "E Goslings" in the city in 1911.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Apr 6, 2016, 6:27 PM)

PaulC

Apr 6, 2016, 7:20 PM

Post #10 of 18 (9827 views)
Shortcut

Abraham Gosling is one of them. So it seems Goslings was very much a Man U junior team - at least during the War.

"August 24, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilotís Log
Evertonís fixed determination to give youth its fling rather than overload their team with players from other clubs is reflected in the selection of their team to meet Manchester United at Goodison Park on Saturday....

This should be a game with youth stealing the headlines for the United have decided that their juniors shall be given every chance. The United have Jack Smith and Warner injured and so they turn to their former Gosling. The Goslings is the United junior side which, last season, won all six competitions for which they entered and which is named after the man who runs the side ĖMr. Abraham Gosling, a real United enthusiast. ...."

The 1911 Census shows Abraham Gosling born 1900, son of Abraham Gosling born 1872.

A sibling of young Abraham is Fred born 1907. Could this be the other Gosling in the photo?

In 1911 they lived at 532 Oldham Road Newton Heath and Abraham senior was "Fruiterer Shopkeeper".

(This post was edited by PaulC on Apr 6, 2016, 7:28 PM)

cranny
Ballboy/girl

Jan 24, 2017, 2:15 PM

Post #11 of 18 (8375 views)
Shortcut

I watched Goslings during the forties. They played at Newton Heath
Loco's ground alternating with Loco. The ground was just off Oldham Rd / Dean Lane at the back of Goslings fishmongers. I always thought Fred Gosling was in charge. I well remember Jack Crompton and Henry Cockburn and am sure that Joe Walton played at fullback before going
on to United and England(?) Shepherd was an outstanding player (even with his specs on!) and was definitely the hero of all the young lads in Newton Heath!

PaulC

Jan 24, 2017, 3:04 PM

Post #12 of 18 (8359 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cranny] Goslings FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Excellent stuff, cranny. It's always good to read a first hand account.

I've attached a map which, I presume, shows the ground you have described. The site is occupied by housing now - Fall Green Avenue.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Jan 24, 2017, 3:07 PM)
Attachments: gosling.jpg (288 KB)

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jan 25, 2017, 1:37 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #13 of 18 (8209 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Excellent stuff, cranny. It's always good to read a first hand account.

I've attached a map which, I presume, shows the ground you have described. The site is occupied by housing now - Fall Green Avenue.

Yes, that's it. Although I had stated earlier that I had either read or assumed Goslings were from Stretford, I am happy to defer to Cranny's first hand knowledge.

Although I never saw a game there, the Ceylon Street ground was more or less intact until fairly recently (ten years ago, which would match the appearance of the new houses?) and was visible from either (or both) the railway and Oldham Road.

Newton Heath Loco were a pretty strong club themselves in the same period. Years ago, I worked in the same building as somebody who was originally from Newton Heath, and was playing for Altrincham but leaped at the chance to join Loco in the Manchester League as he said they were the club everyone from the district wanted to play for.

TonyP
Junior Team Sub

Apr 13, 2017, 2:48 PM

Post #14 of 18 (7403 views)
Shortcut

This is a great story and has yet to be fully explained but here is what I know.

When World War Two broke out the leagues were disbanded and reformed in different forms. However the Reserve and Junior teams of professional clubs were pretty much dropped as teams didn't have players, coaches, kit, grounds and so on.

At Manchester United, in 1939/40 the first team played in the Football League North while the Reserves entered the Lancashire League as the Central League was disbanded.

Our 'A' team (who played in the Manchester League) was disbanded as the Manchester League, who were mainly made of work teams, couldn't get enough teams to enter the league due to the war effort. Our MUJAC team lasted the 1939/40 season before it was also disbanded.

In 1940/41, we only had two teams.. the first team and a second team playing in the reformed Manchester League.

About this time, Walter Crickmer was keen to keep our youth policy alive as it had proved so successful in the season before the war and we still had loads of young players at the club. But resources were impossible to find and Walter was basically running Old Trafford and Manchester United on his own as Manager, Secretary and Administrator.

Along with Louis Rocca they then approached a set of football mad brothers who loved United and asked if they could help. Thus the three brothers, Abraham, Clifford and Frederick Gosling offered their services to United. I think the link was through Louis Rocca who lived on Oldham Road near the family.

So in 1942/43 the three brothers entered a team called the Goslings in the Manchester Amateur League. The team basically contained all of Manchester United's junior players from the previous two seasons including Albert Mycock, Jack Roach, Joe Walton, Tony Waddington, John Anderson, Len Langford, Joe Wilson amongst others.

All of these players were United juniors before the Goslings were formed. United's scouting network then found the likes of Walter Shepherd, Jack Crompton and so on...and they started turning out for the Goslings. Mainly because they were too old for the junior teams but not experienced enough for the first team.

At the same time, United were looking at a local junior team in Stretford called Firwood Juniors and agreed with their manager to rename them Manchester United Juniors the following season.

In 1943/44 Walter Crickmer was then able to field up to five teams. The first team, the second team, The Goslings (Manchester Amateur League), The Colts (Rusholme Amateur League) and the MUJAC's (South Manchester and Wythenshawe League).

United were obviously funding the Goslings and providing players with the three Gosling brothers providing all the admin, coaching and organisation of that group as Walter Crickmer didn't have the resources to manage them.

In 1944/45 this continued and players from United basically just went up and down the pyramid as their careers progressed or stalled with the Goslings team just part of our infrastructure.

By 1945/46, many players...and importantly coaches and administrators...had returned from the war and were now available. Walter Crickmer was now able to get everything back to 'normal' for this particular season ready for the start of the 1946/47 campaign.

In 1946/47, all the leagues were basically back in action. All the local leagues had reformed, including a very strong Manchester League, and now being able to manage things, Walter Crickmer entered our 'A' team back in the Manchester League for the first time in six years.

The Goslings were no longer needed as a 'breeding ground' for our young players and the Gosling brothers were no longer needed as support. So the brothers decided to enter their own team into the Manchester League and fill it with their own players which they did successfully from 1946/47 until 1949/50.

United's relationship with the Goslings stopped at the beginning of 1946/47. I don't know if the brothers were offered roles at Old Trafford or any other form of benefit to say thank-you but we definitely stopped letting our young players go there as we had total control once again.

I have no idea why the Gosling finished in 1949/50, particularly given their success at the time, and I am still researching this part of the story.

While under the auspices of United, the Goslings were incredibly successful, winning leagues, shields and cups in the Manchester Amateur League from 1942/43 to 1945/46 and thus allowing our juniors continue their development into adult players.

The likes of Johnny Morris, Harry McDonald, Albert Mycock, Joe Walton, Joe Wilson, Henry Cockburn, Jack Crompton and many others all went on to have terrific careers in the game.

I hope this helps.

simonsm
Youth Team Regular

Apr 15, 2017, 7:15 PM

Team(s):

Post #15 of 18 (7181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyP] Goslings FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No new info to add, but I was speaking to my Uncle about local football and he happened to mention that he used to go and watch Goslings when they were flying high in the Manchester League. He mentioned it was common knowledge at the the time of the links to Man United as as described above. He confirmed the ground was in Newton Heath but said that it was in a poor state most of the time, shared with Newton heath (Loco).

TonyP
Junior Team Sub

Jul 17, 2017, 4:27 PM

Post #16 of 18 (5536 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cranny] Goslings FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would love to know more about your experience watching them..

In Reply To
I watched Goslings during the forties. They played at Newton Heath
Loco's ground alternating with Loco. The ground was just off Oldham Rd / Dean Lane at the back of Goslings fishmongers. I always thought Fred Gosling was in charge. I well remember Jack Crompton and Henry Cockburn and am sure that Joe Walton played at fullback before going
on to United and England(?) Shepherd was an outstanding player (even with his specs on!) and was definitely the hero of all the young lads in Newton Heath!

In Reply To

TonyP
Junior Team Sub

Oct 18, 2017, 9:22 PM

Post #17 of 18 (4406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simonsm] Goslings FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Iíve been doing some additional research and the original Goslings team were actually in the Manchester Wednesday League before the tie up with Manchester United.

Seems as if Goslings has the backing of United to join the Manchester Amateur League in the war years with Manchester United supplying many of the players.

There is still an untold story here...

pitch 63
First Team Star

Jul 27, 2018, 5:06 PM

Post #18 of 18 (1901 views)
Shortcut

W Shepherd of Goslings played left half for the FA Amateur XI v Royal Navy at Home Park, Plymouth on 07 December 1949.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3