Programmes moving on-line only

CND67
First Team Star

Feb 25, 2016, 4:11 PM

Team(s): Wolverhampton Wanderers & England

Post #1 of 12 (9681 views)
Shortcut
Programmes moving on-line only Can't Post or Reply Privately

I recently attended a Fulham u21 game where the programme was only available on-line. It was a 4-page full colour programme and I printed it at work easy enough. Just wondering if any non-league clubs have started doing this? I know a number of clubs have their programme on-line the next day but are any exclusively on-line?
Don't think I would bother printing my own every week, particularly if its 32 pages? May be the music of the future though.

Last New Ground: Worle
Grounds Visited: 1,131

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 25, 2016, 4:25 PM

Post #2 of 12 (9666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CND67] Programmes moving on-line only [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Scotland think a few have tried it, certainly in Rugby League it's happened Oxford do it and I think one or two others have. Never bothered to print off the Oxford RL one when I went to games last season.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 26, 2016, 8:28 AM

Post #3 of 12 (9538 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CND67] Programmes moving on-line only [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

St Neots do this with hardly any available at the ground itself (well there wasnt the game I was at and that's with arriving before 2pm)

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 1, 2016, 2:37 AM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #4 of 12 (8801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Programmes moving on-line only [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I too didn't see a programme when I went to St Neots.

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

Mar 1, 2016, 7:38 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #5 of 12 (8673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Programmes moving on-line only [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is, indeed, a worrying trend. I'm still reeling from cessation of the print edition of The Independent. I always buy a programme; it's my souvenir of the match. A print out of a computer page is utterly without value as a keepsake.

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Mar 4, 2016, 3:45 PM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #6 of 12 (8183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bradshaw] Programmes moving on-line only [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

This is, indeed, a worrying trend. I'm still reeling from cessation of the print edition of The Independent. I always buy a programme; it's my souvenir of the match. A print out of a computer page is utterly without value as a keepsake.

Totally agree, and if I know a club don't issue. Like Ilkeston who do a monthly magazine, I'll avoid them. I'm waiting for them to return to a 'matchday' programme before I tick them. But then I have friends who never buy programmes, which I find strange, each to their own I guess.

2018-19 - 112 games (England Wom/Arg 14/6) 325 goals, average gpg 2.90, 35 new grounds, last new - Stade Oceane/Le Havre..
2017-18 - 122 games. 392 goals, av gpg 3.21, 48 new grounds.
New Grounds in 2019 - 14. 2018 - 44. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1207.
RL Grounds - 33 (Last - Macron Stadium, Challenge Cup SFs (5/8/18), Speedway Tracks 50.

ARNOLD241
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 4, 2016, 10:00 PM

Post #7 of 12 (8090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] Programmes moving on-line only [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Totally agree, and if I know a club don't issue. Like Ilkeston who do a monthly magazine, I'll avoid them. I'm waiting for them to return to a 'matchday' programme before I tick them. But then I have friends who never buy programmes, which I find strange, each to their own I guess.

Had a match day programme when I saw them play Marine on 19 December but I didn't buy one.

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Mar 18, 2016, 1:16 PM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #8 of 12 (6596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ARNOLD241] Programmes moving on-line only [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Had a match day programme when I saw them play Marine on 19 December but I didn't buy one.

Yeah, went last Sat, as you say back to a match day programme now. Thanks for that. Perhaps the monthly magazine didn't go down well!

2018-19 - 112 games (England Wom/Arg 14/6) 325 goals, average gpg 2.90, 35 new grounds, last new - Stade Oceane/Le Havre..
2017-18 - 122 games. 392 goals, av gpg 3.21, 48 new grounds.
New Grounds in 2019 - 14. 2018 - 44. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1207.
RL Grounds - 33 (Last - Macron Stadium, Challenge Cup SFs (5/8/18), Speedway Tracks 50.

Roger D
Youth Team Regular

Apr 6, 2016, 9:20 PM

Team(s): Prescot Panthers & Oxford RL

Post #9 of 12 (6004 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Programmes moving on-line only [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
In Scotland think a few have tried it, certainly in Rugby League it's happened Oxford do it and I think one or two others have. Never bothered to print off the Oxford RL one when I went to games last season.

Looks like Oxford started something here. Both Gloucestershire All Golds and South Wales Scorpions are online only (Scorpions as of this weekend) now. Won't be totally surprised if one or two more from that division go the same way this season.

Merthyr Imp
Junior Team Star

Apr 30, 2016, 10:15 PM

Team(s): Lincoln City, Merthyr Town

Post #10 of 12 (5107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Roger D] Programmes moving on-line only [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The following is something I included as an April Fool item in Merthyr Town's match programme for their game on 1st April 2013, also indulging in a bit of satire on 'managementspeak'.

Many a true word spoken in jest it seems!

MATCH PROGRAMME TO GO DIGITAL
We are proud to announce that in an exciting new development Merthyr Town will be one of the first football clubs in the country to replace their traditional ‘hard copy’ match programme with an on-line version for people to download and view on their mobile phones or tablets at the match, or wherever they may be. According to club spokesman John Holborn, “With the challenge of the world ink shortage impacting printing costs this will not only be a driver of much-needed economies, but will be an enabler for the club to engage more fully with stakeholders.
“It will also mean an improvement in customer footfall interface as the downloadable programme will be available on subscription or individual payment made on-line, so there will be no more need to fumble with change to hand over to a poor programme seller standing out in all weathers.”
Owing to the amount of time necessary to develop the project the new digital-only programme is expected to be available in a year’s time.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

May 1, 2016, 12:12 AM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #11 of 12 (5048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Merthyr Imp] Programmes moving on-line only [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Aren't April Fool jokes supposed to be too obvious and implausible? Many people might think this particular one was true, and there is always the risk that a future regime at Penydarren Park might decide to make the programme on-line only.

Merthyr Imp
Junior Team Star

May 1, 2016, 12:42 AM

Team(s): Lincoln City, Merthyr Town

Post #12 of 12 (5031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Programmes moving on-line only [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just three years ago it did seem implausible!
The idea has already been put forward here, and elsewhere it seems, of having programmes on-line as well as hard copy - it does make you wonder what will happen in the future.
I suppose it will eventually come down to what sells - if people are no longer interested in buying actual programmes and stop doing so because they prefer the on-line version then that will see the end of the hard copy version. On the other hand people have been saying for a while that e-books will see the end of printed books, but there seems no sign of it yet.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3