Eric "Winkle" Brown

jon b
First Team Star

Feb 21, 2016, 6:40 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #1 of 3 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Eric "Winkle" Brown Can't Post or Reply Privately

The death has been announced of probably our greatest ever pilot. For once the words hero and legend understate the reality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30039300

His appearance on Desert Island Discs 3,000th edition is well worth a listen to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04nvgq1

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 21, 2016, 9:47 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Eric "Winkle" Brown [In reply to] Can't Post or

My Uncle will be 93 in March still driving looking after himself and having no help in doing so. Was on his garage roof last summer painting the house. He was a pilot during the War captured by the Japanese at one point but was liberated quite quickly. Flew all sorts of planes and then gliders up till his mind 80's.

Another Uncle who died a couple of years ago at 94 served all through the War in the Navy. Sunk a couple of times. Did not see his family for years. He took gliding lessons at 90.

Friend of my late fathers died last year aged 90. Almost died in 1945 more or less left for dead weighing 5 stone in Sri Lanka.

None of them talked about. None of them boasted about their duty. Without them and many thousands and millons of others we would probably not be here today. We should never forget that.

jon b
First Team Star

Feb 23, 2016, 1:31 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #3 of 3 (992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Eric "Winkle" Brown [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

None of them talked about. None of them boasted about their duty. Without them and many thousands and millons of others we would probably not be here today. We should never forget that.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Very true. "Ordinary" people did extraordinary things.

And no, they didn't talk about it. I once asked my Grandfather, wounded twice in the trenches in WW1, what it was like. ..His ony answer: "You'd never believe it".

My personal idea of hell was the job that a Sheffield guy I knew did in WW2.

He was conscripted into the merchant navy and ended up as a stoker on convoys back and forth across the Atlantic. No glory but lots of danger. In the days of coal fired boilers and steam, just about the lousiest place imagineable to find yourself in if a torpedo hit.

(This post was edited by jon b on Feb 23, 2016, 6:27 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3