First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 15, 2016, 5:54 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #1 of 130 (15963 views)
Shortcut
League 2: going up, and going down... Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's all very close in League Two at the moment, at both top and bottom...

I saw Pompey put in a brilliant performance at Fratton Park on Saturday to beat Bristol Rovers 3-1, and rekindle everyone's hopes of promotion. And tomorrow night I'll be at third placed Oxford United v. top Northampton Town - probably the two most in-form sides in the division. I'm not going to attempt to pre-guess the scoreline for that one, but I do predict that Chris Wilder's Northampton Town will win the division this season, and that Plymouth (despite some stutters) will finish second.

Despite Oxford's present gap over fourth place, I reckon it'll go to the final game, and two huge matches on the last day of the season will be Oxford United v. Wycombe Wanderers and Portsmouth v. Northampton Town. I'm going to be unashamedly bias and predict that Wycombe win their match to win promotion, and that Pompey with get Oxford somewhere in the play-offs. I'll go for Bristol Rovers and Accrington Stanley for the other two places.

(Remembering I rightly predicted Hartlepool last year and Cobblers the year before saving themselves...) At the bottom, I think Dagenham & Redbridge will need some kind of miracle to make up for not winning a single home match so far this season. And I worry for Yeovil, too - things have improved slightly for them of late, but goals are still thin on the ground. I really hope Yeovil save themselves, so'll instead go for one of the other teams higher up to drop like a stone... someone like Morecambe who've taken just one point from their past possible eighteen (and that from their goalkeeper scoring in stoppage time v. Pompey).

Anyone think differently?

garethwrexy
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 15, 2016, 5:56 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #2 of 130 (15959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dagenham know the conference well myself would prefer Hartlepool united to come down

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 15, 2016, 6:14 PM

Post #3 of 130 (15949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just looked at Cobblers' record... they've won thirteen of their last fourteen league matches since the start of November, the only failure being their 1-3 defeat at home to Pompey.

Also, Oxford United (obviously realising that the fair-weather fans who came for the Swansea match ain't necessarily coming back every week) have just given Northampton another 600 extra tickets for tomorrow night. Cobblers will have over 2000 fans cheering them on! I remember an Oxford v. Northampton match at The Kassam in April 2006, when Cobblers filled the entire North Stand, winning 3-1 on their way to that season's league title and leaving Oxford needing to win on the last day v. Orient (...which they didn't!)

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Feb 15, 2016, 7:38 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #4 of 130 (15909 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll go for Daggers and York to go down and I can't see any change in the top three of Northampton, Plymouth and Oxford to go up. Wimbledon have games in hand and are on good form at the moment and sneak a play-off place.

garethwrexy

Feb 15, 2016, 8:21 PM

Post #5 of 130 (15881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

York is good day out

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Feb 15, 2016, 8:43 PM

Post #6 of 130 (15871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
York is good day out

You'll enjoy the day out next season when York are relegated Smile

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 15, 2016, 9:05 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #7 of 130 (15852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If Oxford United meet Pompey at Wembley in the play-off final
then I think the record crowd of 61,000+ for said level could
be definitely under threat...

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

FA Vase semis wanted: 1978 Barton v Hungerford. 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

stugg93
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 16, 2016, 12:02 AM

Team(s): Southampton, Shef Weds, Shef Utd, Ipswich, Blackfield & L, Hythe & Dibden

Post #8 of 130 (15809 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Definitely would agree with you on that. Bristol Rovers could bring a lot of fans if they were in the play-off final also. I think Northampton, Oxford & Plymouth will all go up and play-off will hopefully be won by Pompey (said as a Saints fan who wants them back up the top so we can have proper derbies again).

At the bottom I'd predict Hartlepool & York to go, although I think Yeovil and Dagenham could easily be relegated as well. The next 8 weeks are huge. I am happy Newport are seemingly pulling themselves away from the relegation scrap as well.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 17, 2016, 1:39 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #9 of 130 (15630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stugg93] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Very tough to call who'll go down. By appointing John Still you'd fancy Dagenham have given themselves a decent chance of survival but the results haven't come yet. Conversely, you'd fear for Hartlepool, Stevenage and Notts County who've turned to rookies to lead them to safety. York have diced with the drop for a while but they seem to be finding form, and I sense Yeovil might just be able to find enough to escape. Morecambe and Newport were my pre-season tips for the drop so I suppose I should stick with them for now, though I admit it's unlikely that they'll both go.

Mind you, these are the ramblings of the bloke who, little more than a year ago, fancied Tranmere to launch a late surge for the League 2 playoffs... Frown

jon b
First Team Star

Feb 17, 2016, 1:53 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #10 of 130 (15623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Notts County 15 points clear of the relegation spots and with a game in hand, and Stevenage 10 points clear (albeit having played two games more than both Yeovil and Dagenham) would have to really work at it to be drawn into the relegation battle.

Even so, they have taken a real risk.

MCMXC
Youth Team Sub

Feb 18, 2016, 2:51 AM

Team(s): Liverpool, Peterborough, Deeping Rangers

Post #11 of 130 (15492 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Plus Stevenage's form has picked up since Teddy got the boot

derekn
First Team Star

Feb 18, 2016, 9:23 AM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #12 of 130 (15442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd say Yeovil are odds-on to go down. It's unlikely that they'd manage to stay in either level of the Conference given the level of ambition at the club.

garethwrexy

Feb 18, 2016, 9:25 AM

Post #13 of 130 (15437 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

been hell of past decade for Yeovil fans

windydcfc

Feb 18, 2016, 5:06 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #14 of 130 (15331 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
been hell of past decade for Yeovil fans

Yes, it's been a roller coaster journey for the club & fans! Burton Albion are on a similar journey. I'd imagine they'll also hit a high point & then start the slide back down, hopefully they won't fall as badly as Yeovil has!

(This post was edited by windydcfc on Feb 18, 2016, 5:20 PM)

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Feb 18, 2016, 5:18 PM

Post #15 of 130 (15326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Burton's rise from the Southern league (under Clough) was one of long term planning rather than the "want it now" plans of many clubs. I don't know if this is still the way Burton's management work and if it is, and again under Clough, I can't see why they can't establish themselves as a Championship club

windydcfc

Feb 18, 2016, 5:30 PM

Post #16 of 130 (15316 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Burton's rise from the Southern league (under Clough) was one of long term planning rather than the "want it now" plans of many clubs. I don't know if this is still the way Burton's management work and if it is, and again under Clough, I can't see why they can't establish themselves as a Championship club

I hope they're able to establish themselves in the Championship! There was another thread that brought up the point, that historical data shows that newer clubs into the football league(post WWII)! Are more likely to be relegated out of the football league, than pre WWII teams! So history is in fact against them having a long & successful stay in the football league!

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Feb 19, 2016, 7:25 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #17 of 130 (15089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There was another thread that brought up the point, that historical data shows that newer clubs into the football league(post WWII)! Are more likely to be relegated out of the football league, than pre WWII teams! So history is in fact against them having a long & successful stay in the football league!

It's also a truism that clubs in Divisions 1 & 2 pre 3rd.-Division have tended to remain within the top two divisions, while the Divisions 3 newbies have tended to remain beneath the top two divisions.

Professional cretin.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 21, 2016, 5:06 PM

Post #18 of 130 (14856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'd say Yeovil are odds-on to go down. It's unlikely that they'd manage to stay in either level of the Conference given the level of ambition at the club.

People I knew at yesterday's Yeovil 1 Portsmouth 1 match all tell me they thought Yeovil put in a very good display - plenty of graft and support for their team mates, and a team who are proving increasingly difficult to break down. Yeovil now haven't lost at home since 24th November (the Carlisle penalty shootout excepted), almost three months ago.

Pompey, however, were apparently awful - a world away from the performance put in last week v. Bristol Rovers. Despite Oxford United's recent collapse, Pompey have only clawed back one point on their gap on third place. The good news is Pompey still have a game in hand on the top three - the bad news is that match in hand is away at Accrington...

...who continued some brilliant recent form yesterday with Oxford United 1 Accrington Stanley 2, coming back from one-down despite being down to ten men. They're now just three points behind third place with two games in hand. Their next two matches are both at home and definitely winnable, against plodders Notts County and Barnet.

That defeat for Oxford means their record for their last six home matches since famously outplaying Swansea now reads W0 D1 L5. Even Accrington would acknowledge they're not the biggest pull in the division, but Oxford's gate of under 6,800 was distinctly average-looking, especially for a side recently boasting of the 22,000+ Wembley tickets they've sold for the paint pot final.

acmold

Feb 28, 2016, 10:24 AM

Post #19 of 130 (14359 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or

As a footnote Oxford's win at Wimbledon yesterday equals their record for away wins in a season which is 11, they still have six to play. The away record for 2016 is played 6 won 6 for 17 against 6 if you include the cup game at Millwall. In those 6 games they have scored 4 three times.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 28, 2016, 11:55 AM

Post #20 of 130 (14329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As a footnote Oxford's win at Wimbledon yesterday equals their record for away wins in a season which is 11, they still have six to play. The away record for 2016 is played 6 won 6 for 17 against 6 if you include the cup game at Millwall. In those 6 games they have scored 4 three times.

York at home on Tuesday may help Oxford rebalance their mediocre home record. Oxford's cause was also helped yesterday by Accrington throwing away a two-goal lead at home to Barnet, meaning Satnley now have to win both their matches in hand in order to overtake Oxford (with one of those matches being v. Pompey).

Its going to take an awful lot for Dagenham to claw things back following their defeat at home yesterday to Yeovil - they still have not won a single home match this season. Yeovil, meanwhile, are in near-promotion form with four wins and four draws in their last ten matches. Hartlepool should also be commended for bringing Cobblers' incredible run of wins to an end, with a 0-0.

If I were a Morecambe fan I would seriously worry about what's happening to their form at present. With just one point in their last eight matches, they are dropping like a stone.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Feb 29, 2016, 11:20 AM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #21 of 130 (14182 views)
Shortcut

I really shouldn't wish ill on local teams, but for all that going to Bootham Crescent to see York play is a reasonable outing, McNamara's continued astounding team selection continues to appal

I think the club has had 46 different players in the 1st team squad so far this season, and even now JM doesn't know his best defence, re-loaning a 19 yr old from Huddersfield to have a back 4 containing 3 youth loanees on Saturday.

Up front he 'rested' a 19 year old (a 19 yr old needs a rest after playing 1 game a week!) to be replaced by a 30-something who hasn't played at this level for 4 years.. Unsurprisingly Riordan didn't score, but Fewster, suitably rested from 45 mins on the bench scored twice.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 2, 2016, 7:30 AM

Post #22 of 130 (13901 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I really shouldn't wish ill on local teams, but for all that going to Bootham Crescent to see York play is a reasonable outing, McNamara's continued astounding team selection continues to appal

They took a thumping at The Kassam last night, losing 0-4. Yeovil's continued top-end form of late, with a 1-0 win over Accrington, really leaves York in serious problems.

For Oxford, the handsome win was only half the good news - they were (along with Bristol Rovers) about the only top side to have a decent evening: Cobblers, Wombles, Pompey and Orient all drew (Pompey conceding in stoppage time again), while Plymouth, Accrington and Wycombe all lost. Oxford and Plymouth - now in joint-second - play eachother at Home Park on Saturday.

It was notable though, that the same pea-brains on Radio Monkey commentating on Oxford v. York who were so outraged at the supposedly poor refereeing in the Cobblers match a couple of weeks ago, were last night positively celebrating the ref's howler when he gave Oxford the corner they scored their second from, when it was an obvious goal kick to York (at a point when York were getting back into things).

(This post was edited by oxpete on Mar 2, 2016, 7:31 AM)

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Mar 2, 2016, 7:54 AM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #23 of 130 (13893 views)
Shortcut

It seems to be perm any 2 from 3 between D&R, York and the Pools.

John Still doesn't seem to have been able to work his old magic in East London, so it's down to who between York and Pool can manage to scrape a few more points somehow. Neither seem to be able to perform competently on the pitch just now.

Mc Namara continues to appal. That's 14 defeats in 20 games - a period where he has free reign to remove all the previous coaching staff and install his own, move on most of the senior pros, and indeed anyone who might disagree with him, loan innumerable youth-team players and make wholesale positional changes (7 changes for Saturday's loss to Luton, another 4 last night). His team selection shows he has no inkling as to who the key players are in the side, with no position predictable from one game to the next.

This season is pretty much a write-off, but having ripped the playing heart out of the club, next season seems a pretty gloomy one too : council-supported new stadium less likely with (a) council cutbacks (b) a team probably in the conference and (c) about 7 signed-on professionals of moderate(lets be kind) quality.

windydcfc

Mar 2, 2016, 8:51 AM

Post #24 of 130 (13876 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

2 of D&R next 3 games are against York & Hartlepool! If they win them both, they'll be dreaming of the great escape. But if they lose them both, then the end is nigh!

(This post was edited by windydcfc on Mar 2, 2016, 9:39 AM)

acmold

Mar 2, 2016, 9:03 AM

Post #25 of 130 (13872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] League 2: going up, and going down... [In reply to] Can't Post or

After lasts nights game the top three cannot be relegated. I'm sure we never thought they would for a while now but both Oxford and the Northampton manager have 'form' of strange runs of losing streaks when it matters. Going one step further if you say 48 / 50 is safety the top 12 now have 50 while another five are in the 40's. Last season Oxford who until the last few weeks were near the bottom all season had 28 points when they beat Plymouth around the turn of the year, this season Hartlepool only have 28 as I write this. Clubs who go down this year look like going down with a low total.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3