Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non League Football Information: History:
F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

southend statto
First Team Star

Dec 1, 2015, 9:31 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #1 of 40 (16611 views)
Shortcut
F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? Can't Post or Reply Privately

No.1 Southend are still the only club ever to have 2 players (Best & Moore) score hat-tricks in consecutive rounds of the F. A. Cup proper?
No.2 Billy Best's 5 goals were scored in the last 19 minutes. Is this still the quickest 5 goals in succession in the F. A. Cup proper?
No.3 Billy's last 3 goals were scored in just 3 minutes. They they still the fastest ever hat-trick in the F.A. Cup proper?
No.4 Billy Best scored 10 goals in the F.A.Cup in 1968-69 in 4 matches and Ted McDougall scored 10 in just 2 matches in 1971-72. Are these feats still the most goals scored by any player since the 1945 in the F. A. Cup proper? or even all-time?

thanks

Oldeagle
Youth Team Sub

Dec 2, 2015, 4:07 PM

Post #2 of 40 (16465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Could I add another one? The attendance for Peterborough (then non league) v Bedford in the 4th qualifying round in 1952/3 was 15,327. Is this a record for a FA Cup tie outside the competition proper?

TAWMAN
Junior Team Star

Dec 9, 2015, 11:43 AM

Post #3 of 40 (16096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oldeagle] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't know if it's a record but Peterborough got an even bigger gate in the 4th qualifying round in November 1954 against Boston United - 16,558.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 7, 2016, 12:57 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #4 of 40 (15293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TAWMAN] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll tack it on here as a related question (FA Cup records) - does anyone know the record number of consecutive seasons a non-league club has made the 1st round proper? I'm guessing it will be Hereford or Yeovil from about 50 years ago...

terrythomas
Junior Team Regular

Oct 8, 2016, 9:17 AM

Team(s): Wigan Athletic

Post #5 of 40 (15158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wigan Athletic had a crowd of 27, 526 for a 2nd rnd FA Cup game against Hereford United in 1953 when both clubs were non-league. Wigan also won 6-0 away at Carlisle in the FA Cup and this was the biggest away win for a non-league club against a league team, not sure if it's been equaled since.

I would hazard a guess that Altrincham made the 1st rnd most times on the trot but need to check that out

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 8, 2016, 12:10 PM

Post #6 of 40 (15123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [terrythomas] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Altrincham made the 1st round proper (or later, much later at times) in 11 straight seasons from 1978-89 but it's slightly misleading as they were exempt to that stage in all but the last of those 11 seasons.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 8, 2016, 12:16 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 40 (15122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think the stronger clubs or those that had done well in recent years were exempt to Q4

It would be interesting to know if any fought their way through from the earliest round(s) in two or more consecutive seasons

allowing that some would have had a bye in the earliest round of all

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Oct 8, 2016, 12:16 PM)

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 8, 2016, 12:31 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #8 of 40 (15115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not sure if anyone's done it in consecutive season, but Chasetown went all the way from the Preliminary Round to the First Round Proper twice in 3 seasons - 2005-06 and 2007-08. In the second of these they eventually went out in the Third Round. They played 10 FA Cup matches in each of these seasons, including replays.

Richard Rundle

Oct 8, 2016, 1:02 PM

Post #9 of 40 (15106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It would be interesting to know if any fought their way through from the earliest round(s) in two or more consecutive seasons

I'm working on some stats like that, probably something like most times qualified from 1st Round Qualifiying or earlier, working on post WW2 only, but I thought I'd give it a couple of weeks for this seasons qualifying competition to conclude first.

terrythomas
Junior Team Regular

Oct 8, 2016, 5:29 PM

Post #10 of 40 (15063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good point Richard re Altrincham

TAWMAN
Junior Team Star

Oct 11, 2016, 11:20 AM

Post #11 of 40 (14651 views)
Shortcut
Re: [terrythomas] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wigan's win at Carlisle was (a still very impressive) 6-1. In 1955 Boston United won by the same scoreline at Derby County.

New Forest
Youth Team Sub

Oct 11, 2016, 11:58 AM

Team(s): Leyton then Waltham Forest now Walthamstow

Post #12 of 40 (14630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TAWMAN] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Royal Engineers played in the first twelve competitions.
A quick look and the highest score in the Rounds proper were Preston 18 Reading nil.

silvermane
Youth Team Sub

Oct 11, 2016, 4:08 PM

Post #13 of 40 (14561 views)
Shortcut
Re: [New Forest] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hereford United played in the first round proper (as a non-league club) from 1956 to 1972 inclusive, a span of 18 seasons. They were never exempted, winning the 4QR tie each time. Their streak was ended by election to the Football League.

terrythomas
Junior Team Regular

Oct 11, 2016, 4:21 PM

Post #14 of 40 (14553 views)
Shortcut

Doh! Thanks Tawman Smile

New Forest
Youth Team Sub

Oct 11, 2016, 5:22 PM

Team(s): Leyton then Waltham Forest now Walthamstow

Post #15 of 40 (14526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [silvermane] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I believe that Hereford United share another record. Their FA Cup tie with Leyton was the first cup game to be televised by the BBC on 25 November 1952 from 2.10 till 15.55. It ended in a scoreless draw, even so I bet it was a better game than we will see tonight. Can anyone confirm this was the first live broadcast?

(This post was edited by New Forest on Oct 11, 2016, 5:27 PM)

Ropemaker

Oct 11, 2016, 7:55 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #16 of 40 (14442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [New Forest] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I believe that Hereford United share another record. Their FA Cup tie with Leyton was the first cup game to be televised by the BBC on 25 November 1952 from 2.10 till 15.55. It ended in a scoreless draw, even so I bet it was a better game than we will see tonight. Can anyone confirm this was the first live broadcast?

The first FA Cup tie, other than the final, to be televised was Charlton v Blackburn on 8 Feb 1947

From 2:55 to 3:55 according to the Times

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 11, 2016, 8:39 PM

Post #17 of 40 (14370 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The first FA Cup tie, other than the final, to be televised was Charlton v Blackburn on 8 Feb 1947

According to the Radio Times, on 8 Feb 1947 between 14:55 and 15:55 the BBC showed the first half of a Rugby Union game between the Royal Navy and RAF. Of course, even way back then, changes could have been made between the printing of the Radio Times and the actual event.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

PaulC

Oct 11, 2016, 9:22 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #18 of 40 (14289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

[reply

I was about to say no it doesn't, but I was looking at the Sunday programme. Yes it does.

All sorts of goodies later in the evening too

9.40 darts match: Screen v Footballers
10-10.10 News (sound only)

Then off to bed.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Oct 11, 2016, 9:25 PM)

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 11, 2016, 10:09 PM

Post #19 of 40 (14216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just done a bit of quick research and have come up with the following early live tv games:

13 Dec 1947 @ 14:10 Leytonstone v. Clapton first half only Isthmian League
10 Jan 1948 @ 14:05 Arsenal v Bradford PA FA Cup 3rd Round first half only
7 Feb 1948 @ 14;25 FA Cup 5th round no match stated
28 Feb 1948 @ 14:45 Fulham v Blackpool FA Cup 6th Round Full match
13 Mar 1948 @ 14:55 Barnet v Boldmere St. Michaels FA Amateur Cup SF full match

It looks like the first live tv FA Cup game other than the final was Arsenal v Bradford PA which Bradford won 1-0. The BBC also televised, either partial or full, several Oxford v Cambridge varsity football matches in the 1930's.

Since outside broadcasts were experimental back than and only involved events in London, I would assume that the 5th round game on 7 Feb 1948 was either:
Fulham v Everton
QPR v Luton
Tottenham v Leicester

The BBC have also televised a live Athenian League game and a FA Cup 4th Qual Round game both in 1949

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

(This post was edited by Tykeoldboy on Oct 11, 2016, 10:24 PM)

Chris M
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 16, 2016, 8:09 PM

Team(s): Everton, Marine, Sheffield clubs generally

Post #20 of 40 (10762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The 7 February 48 game was, according to evertonresults.com, our match at Fulham.

Ropemaker

Oct 17, 2016, 3:48 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #21 of 40 (10342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

According to the Radio Times, on 8 Feb 1947 between 14:55 and 15:55 the BBC showed the first half of a Rugby Union game between the Royal Navy and RAF. Of course, even way back then, changes could have been made between the printing of the Radio Times and the actual event.

Times of Sat 8 Feb reports the rugby match was postponed which might explain something.

Charlton seem to think the match was televised. Not definitive I'll admit

http://www.cafc.co.uk/...-history-365017.aspx

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

ashw83
Junior Team Sub

Oct 31, 2016, 5:25 PM

Post #22 of 40 (8650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is Westfields club from lowest level ever to reach FA Cup first round?
Westfields playing now in 9th level of english league pyramide.

(This post was edited by ashw83 on Oct 31, 2016, 5:26 PM)

lovin spoonful
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 31, 2016, 7:44 PM

Post #23 of 40 (8584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ashw83] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is there any county in England who has never been represented in the FA Cup 1st round?

Last 0-0 draw: Friday 04/11/2016 Bodmin Town v Plymouth Parkway

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 31, 2016, 9:20 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #24 of 40 (8540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lovin spoonful] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rutland?

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 31, 2016, 9:27 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #25 of 40 (8528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ashw83] F. A. Cup Records - are these feats still records? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Is Westfields club from lowest level ever to reach FA Cup first round?
Westfields playing now in 9th level of english league pyramide.

I don't have the definitive answer but Chasetown were at the same level, in fact in the same league, when they reached the first round in 2005.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3