The 92. How many grounds

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 1, 2015, 5:57 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #1 of 13 (2792 views)
Shortcut
The 92. How many grounds Can't Post or Reply Privately

Following on from Andy's comments on the long time, no visit Football/Premier League thread, some thoughts on the 92.

If I select the current 92 league grounds, I find, not surprising, 92 grounds as visited!

Of the 92, only 82 were visited for the first time when the home team was Premier League/Football League.
Seven of the 82 were in the post 1992 top division. I would have to research much more to find out how many were at each level when done. The seven are Middlesbrough, Derby County, Southampton, Sunderland, Leicester City, Manchester City and Arsenal

Ten of the current 92 were first visited for games below football league level, of which two have not been visited for a Football League game.

This group are (*=no League game) Wycombe Wanderers, Yeovil Town, Burton Albion and Barnet* (all Conference), Dagenham & Redbridge, AFC Wimbledon (Isthmian Premier), Fleetwood Town, Accrington Stanley (North West Counties, Division One [which was the top division]), Crawley Town* (Southern League, Premier) and Stevenage (Southern League, Divsion One North)

Of these, Dagenham & Redbridge was first visited for Dagenham FC (pre-merger), AFC Wimbledon for Kingstonian [my first visit for an AFC Wimbledon game was at Combined Counties League level], while Fleetwood Town was visited for an earlier club of the same name and Stevenage for Stevenage Athletic [an earlier club with a different name - real oldies may have seen Stevenage Town]

When looking at clubs orignally visited at Football/Premier League level, I find 126 grounds.
33 of these are no longer in use. Of these, only 1 or 2 still exist (not certain about the National Hockey Stadium in MK, but I am sure the New Arena in Darlington is still there).

Eight are in the National League's top division (of which two, FC Halifax and Chester are not ex-football league clubs), Stockport County are in the National League North, Hereford FC in the Midland League and AFC Varndeanians have just moved into Withdean Stadium.

There are also a few other clubs who I have seen play at home in the League, but are not in the league now, and were not when I first visited.

It is not so easy to make a full list of these (I have not yet written a query or filter to find them), but the list includes Cheltenham Town, Barnet (at Underhill), Macclesfield Town, Rushden & Diamonds, Morecambe (at Christie Park) & Maidstone United (at Watling Street). The Don Valley also escapes the search as the first visit was for Sheffield FC

For the record, my only visit to Boston United was as a non-League team (although they beat Crewe), while I never did Bristol Rovers at Bath, or AFC Bournemouth at Dorchester. I also have only been to Scarborough before they joined the league, (I was thinking of going when working in Grimsby in the mid eighties, but when I phoned them, they said I would end up on an uncovered terrace and umbrellas were not permitted. It was a wet night, so I declined the chance).

So my claim is 143 grounds out of the 92, (I do not include those which have been in/out without me seeing a game when the team was in the league, but I do include the current duo in membership, where I have only seen non-League games). It may be one or two greater as I feel sure I have missed one somewhere!

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

(This post was edited by leohoenig on Nov 1, 2015, 5:59 PM)

zebedee
First Team Star

Nov 1, 2015, 6:08 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #2 of 13 (2779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] The 92. How many grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The National Hockey Stadium was demolished a couple of years after it stopped being used for football. The site is now Network Rail's headquarters.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 1, 2015, 6:31 PM

Post #3 of 13 (2761 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] The 92. How many grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or

I used to have a list of grounds that I had seen a home game for the home club when in the league and it had to be competitive first team game. In recent years I have changed my criteria as CBA has kicked for larger new grounds. I went to Brighton for the Sussex Senior Cup Final is prime example. I used to revisit when a team got into the league but again CBA has kicked in I did Kiddy, Cheltenham and Rushden but don't think I have done one recently. Off the top of my head I've not gone to AFC Wimbledon, Yeovil, Dagenham, Stevenage, Crawley, Accrington for league games. I think the last ground to host league that I did not visit was Maidstone / Dartford or Odsal / Bradford City though I have done it for Speedway. I did do Dorchester for Bournemouth and the Hockey Stadium for Wimbledon. I never did Bath for Bristol Rovers as I have done it a number of times for Bath. Can totals include Wembley and Milenium stadiums as I have seen league play offs at both. I have seen a game on all the current 92 grounds but quite a few would not count for 92 club purposes.

Ropemaker

Nov 3, 2015, 3:19 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #4 of 13 (2582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] The 92. How many grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looking at my records, I've been to 149 different venues whilst they were "92 grounds". The Hive will be 150. Some of those were revisits after first going when the team were non-league.

I've also been to Barrow, Workington and Southport after they left the league if we're including such things.

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

(This post was edited by Ropemaker on Nov 3, 2015, 3:20 PM)

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Nov 4, 2015, 3:36 PM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #5 of 13 (2420 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] The 92. How many grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I knew people wouldn't be able to resist going off in tangents! When has Wembley ever been 1 of the 92? Ok, it might be for Spurs in the future, and it was used by Arsenal in the Champs league, anyway.
I'm one of those weird bods who still comply with the old '92 club' rules, and that means doing the ground whilst it's hosting league football. So, I have re-visited a number I did as non league, when the club/ground was promoted to the league.
An example was Highbury Stadium, for Fleetwood Town this season (v Southend), which has changed massively since it's NWCL days, and I would recommend a revisit.
The only one of the current 92, I still need, which fits that criteria is Rodney Parade, Newport County, which I did in the conference about 4 years ago. I'm keeping a very close eye on them, as I may need to re-visit before they drop back into NL.

2018-19 - 110 games (Fylde/Orient 19/5) 322 goals, average gpg 3.01, 34 new grounds, last new - AFC Porth 4/5.
2017-18 - 122 games. 392 goals, av gpg 3.21, 48 new grounds.
New Grounds in 2019 - 13. 2018 - 44. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1206.
RL Grounds - 33 (Last - Macron Stadium, Challenge Cup SFs (5/8/18), Speedway Tracks 50.

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Nov 4, 2015, 3:39 PM

Post #6 of 13 (2415 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] The 92. How many grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whoops sorry, I see this is a new thread to the one I started!
I have '159' league ground in total.
I use the Doing the 92 to log all my grounds, really good DB.
http://www.doingthe92.co.uk/default.asp?Step=1

2018-19 - 110 games (Fylde/Orient 19/5) 322 goals, average gpg 3.01, 34 new grounds, last new - AFC Porth 4/5.
RL Grounds - 33 (Last - Macron Stadium, Challenge Cup SFs (5/8/18), Speedway Tracks 50.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 4, 2015, 7:13 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #7 of 13 (2376 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] The 92. How many grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I knew people wouldn't be able to resist going off in tangents! When has Wembley ever been 1 of the 92?

Clapton Orient played 2 home games there in FL Division 3 South in 1930. Does that count?

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 5, 2015, 11:19 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #8 of 13 (2277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] The 92. How many grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
I knew people wouldn't be able to resist going off in tangents! When has Wembley ever been 1 of the 92?

Clapton Orient played 2 home games there in FL Division 3 South in 1930. Does that count?

That would have made it one of the 88.

Ropemaker

Nov 5, 2015, 2:14 PM

Post #9 of 13 (2241 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Whoops sorry, I see this is a new thread to the one I started!
I have '159' league ground in total.
I use the Doing the 92 to log all my grounds, really good DB.
http://www.doingthe92.co.uk/default.asp?Step=1

My list only goes to 150!

Does this include groundshares and/or some of the elected out clubs I missed out on?

Just curious.

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Nov 5, 2015, 2:38 PM

Post #10 of 13 (2229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] The 92. How many grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sorry Ropemaker.
So inc the current 92, plus the extras, see my running count. it seems I was wrong, 146 is actually my number.
Brighton (x3) = 94
Aldershot (NL now) = 95
Chesterfield (x2) = 96
Millwall (x2) = 97
Wimbledon (x2) = 98
Southampton (x2) = 99
Arsenal (x2) = 100
Stoke (x2) =101
Wrexham (NL now) = 102
Cardiff (x2) = 103
Bris Rovers (x3) =105
Leicester (x2) = 106
Man City (x2) = 107
Bolton (x2) = 108
Derby (x2) = 109
Swansea (x2) = 110
Coventry (x2) = 111
Sunderland (x2) = 112
Middlesbrough (x2) =113
Doncaster (x2) = 114
Shrewsbury (x2) =115
Northampton (x2) =116
MK Dons (x2) = 117
Boston Utd (now NL) = 118
Rushden and Diamonds (now NL) = 119
Reading (x2) = 120
Oxford United (x2) =121
Huddersfield (x2) =122
Darlington (x2) = 123
Bradford City (x2) = 124
Hull City (x2) =125
Bournemouth (x2 I count the rebuild move of pitch as new) = 126
Colchester (x2) = 127
Walsall (x2) =128
Halifax (NL now) =129
Maidstone (NL now x2) = 131
Scunthorpe (x2) = 132
Newport Co (x2, missing Rodney Parade as league ground). = 133
Chester City (NL now x3) =136
Wigan Ath (x2) = 137
Hereford U (now NL) = 138
Scarborough (now NL) = 139
Barnet (x2) = 140
Cheltenham (now NL) = 141
Kidderminster (now NL) = 142
Rotherham Utd (x3) = 144
Burton Alb (x2) = 145
Morecambe (x2) = 146

stugg93
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 5, 2015, 3:08 PM

Team(s): Southampton, Shef Weds, Shef Utd, Ipswich, Blackfield & L, Hythe & Dibden

Post #11 of 13 (2219 views)
Shortcut

Baring in mind I only started properly doing the 92 in January, I'm currently on 23 (Southampton, Wolves, Plymouth Argyle, Arsenal, Sheffield United, Ipswich Town, Wycombe Wanderers, Gillingham, AFC Bournemouth, MK Dons, Oxford United, Newport County, Exeter City, Swindon Town, Millwall, Coventry City, QPR, Aston Villa, Shrewsbury Town, Crawley Town, Reading, Birmingham City, Brighton & Hove Albion) with 24 (Cardiff City) booked for this weekend. Should be getting Peterborough, West Brom, Nottingham Forest & Derby County done before Christmas, and aiming to be close to 40 by the end of the season.

Ropemaker

Nov 5, 2015, 7:25 PM

Post #12 of 13 (2174 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Sorry Ropemaker.
So inc the current 92, plus the extras, see my running count. it seems I was wrong, 146 is actually my number.
Darlington (x2) = 123
Now NL!
Don't count the rebuild but I saw them at Dorchester
Only Watling St in 92. If there was somewhere else, I missed it.
Burton Alb (x2) = 145
Only Pirelli in 92.

So I make it 145 (see above). 146+Darlington-Maidstone-Burton.

The other five on my list are Grimsby, Lincoln, Torquay, Tranmere and Stockport. Some of which may be hiding on your list somewhere.

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Nov 6, 2015, 9:22 AM

Post #13 of 13 (2105 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Sorry Ropemaker.
Darlington (x2) = 123
Now NL!
Don't count the rebuild but I saw them at Dorchester
Only Watling St in 92. If there was somewhere else, I missed it.
Burton Alb (x2) = 145
Only Pirelli in 92.

So I make it 145 (see above). 146+Darlington-Maidstone-Burton.

The other five on my list are Grimsby, Lincoln, Torquay, Tranmere and Stockport. Some of which may be hiding on your list somewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------You are right, mostly, what happens when you try and work out the number in the office! So, my Bournemouth count is x3 as well. Total rebuild of stands and re-alignment of pitch is a new ground IMO, same as Wembley. Re Burton, yes, their original ground was 'as' NL. Re Maidstone, correct, I've seen them on 1 ground for league (Watling Street), and 4 others for NL.When I get time, I need to verify my actual total number Wink.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3