Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Postal Deliveries

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 15, 2015, 9:43 PM

Post #1 of 22 (5866 views)
Shortcut
Postal Deliveries Can't Post or

Always had problems at my house on and off for the past 25 / 30 years There is no point complaining the last time I did I was told I was wrong and they were right until I provided inside info from a Postman that proved a manager was falsifying records. Not the first time it had happened once before all the complaints from my area were deleted of off the system when they were being past to an inquiry

Anyway I hardly use it these days and other than junk mail don't get much post. In fact I did not realise 1st class was now over 70 pence until I had to buy a stamp two weeks ago.

The stamp had been purchased as I was selling some shares. I checked my account and found they had been sold last Friday and I got the highest price they had been at for a decade in fact if I had sold them yesterday I would have 'lost" 70 or so quid.

No payment had arrived, I don't know why they did not pay by bank transfer. Today at around 5pm my post arrived, one item my cheque. Posted Tuesday 1st class. It not only means it was a day late but due to the late arrival today I lost an extra days interest and it will probably take till a week Monday to clear.

I have noticed recently the postal deliveries have started to get later and some days don't come. Good start to a fully privatised service.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 15, 2015, 10:15 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #2 of 22 (5848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Postal Deliveries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

...and why are most of them fat bastards?

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Isaac

Oct 15, 2015, 11:49 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #3 of 22 (5810 views)
Shortcut

70p for a first class stampShocked, I can't remember the last time I bought one.

The same round this way, they often don't turn up until the afternoon and most of what they bring is just junk mail. Any leaflets and such like that they shove through the letterbox get put in the postbox, they can have their rubbish back

ARNOLD241
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 16, 2015, 12:14 AM

Post #4 of 22 (5794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Postal Deliveries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A first class stamp is 63p.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Oct 16, 2015, 1:42 AM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #5 of 22 (5771 views)
Shortcut

Postal deliveries have never been more popular, but are increasingly dominated by those delivering internet purchases at a specified time.

Aside from the odd Birthday/Christmas card most folk that I know receive, or send, little in the way of letters. The e-mail spelt the death of personal delivered mail and I reckon that the 'postman' will soon become as rare as the milkman.

Even legal documents can now be expedited electronically. The same for tax matters and all other governmental correspondence.

As for the cheque in the post; definitely a thing of the past.

After the rebranding to Consignia the concept of regular delivered mail
was relegated to a necessary (by law) but inconvenient part of a much wider 'public service'. I expect a further down grade in the service when they inevitably rebrand again.

(This post was edited by Ronsdog on Oct 16, 2015, 1:53 AM)

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Nov 2, 2016, 7:23 PM

Post #6 of 22 (5014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] Postal Deliveries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Where I am now living it is fairly clear that we are on three days a week service: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Deliveries midweek are between 2-3pm with Saturday around noon.

Whatever happened to the morning mail?

UKPunk

Nov 2, 2016, 10:33 PM

Post #7 of 22 (4953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Postal Deliveries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Where I am now living it is fairly clear that we are on three days a week service: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Deliveries midweek are between 2-3pm with Saturday around noon.

Whatever happened to the morning mail?

It's still alive and churning out the usual drivel on a daily basis. Sly

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Nov 3, 2016, 12:38 AM

Post #8 of 22 (4915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Postal Deliveries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Punky. Lovely to see a post of yours. I would have thought Clacton would need a six-day postal service with all those DSS letters to deliver.

UKPunk

Nov 4, 2016, 4:04 PM

Post #9 of 22 (4699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Postal Deliveries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ah, so that's why we have a six day postal service. I thought we were just lucky. Cool

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Uncle Ian
Youth Team Sub

Nov 9, 2016, 7:01 PM

Post #10 of 22 (4470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Postal Deliveries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is there supposed to be a time limit on delivery. Where I live its 2pm by when all deliveries should have been made.

acmold

Nov 10, 2016, 12:41 PM

Post #11 of 22 (4346 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Uncle Ian] Postal Deliveries [In reply to] Can't Post or

Around here it can be anytime up to 5pm / 6pm. Mine at the moment is between 11am and 3pm though some folk tell me theirs is regularly mid afternoon.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Nov 10, 2016, 3:51 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #12 of 22 (4286 views)
Shortcut

Of course, one can only speak as one finds.

Out here in rural North Yorkshire, post is regular around 1pm, the various delivery people are friendly and efficient and are always ready to leave an item with a neighbour to save that dreaded "we have a package for you to collect from the Post Office" card

Yes, postage stamps are now crazily expensive : but that's not directly down to the Royal Mail. That's your caring sharing Govt insisting that the Mail should be treated as a business not a service, and opening up competition to the parts of the service where a quick buck is to be made, whilst still requiring Royal Mail to provide a 6-day service to every address - however remote - in the UK.

It's the victory of those who see price as more important than value, and lower taxes resulting in fewer public services being a worthwhile aim. Simple cross-city or inter-city traffic for many has got relatively cheaper compared to rural services used by the few.

Concomitant demise of local Post Offices equally regrettable as a hub for simple transactions and basic groceries in every village.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 15, 2016, 7:32 AM

Post #13 of 22 (4071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Postal Deliveries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Here in Portsmouth, I only get deliveries 3 times a week with 1 day seemingly set aside for junk mail.

It was my nieces 21st birthday yesterday and I ordered something online 3 weeks ago. It was sent first class post and fortunately arrived just in time yesterday, whereas a cheque posted to me 2nd class from further away arrived the following day.

As for paying for guaranteed next day delivery.. 3 days it takes for anything important I need to send to Hants FA in Basingstoke to turn up, and looking at their post tracker system, it seems to always first go past Basingstoke to Reading, then Swindon Shocked before finally turning round and heading to its destination.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

acmold

Nov 15, 2016, 8:22 PM

Post #14 of 22 (3921 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Postal Deliveries [In reply to] Can't Post or

Swindon is a postal hub for a large area covering a number of Post Code areas OX, RG and SN. If it is to busy OX ones go via Birmingham - I think. Strangely the South Midlands distribution centre still sits empty less than a mile from house years after it closed.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Nov 15, 2016, 10:47 PM

Post #15 of 22 (3887 views)
Shortcut

Post from postcodes BS to other BS postcodes often gets sent by air to Belfast or Edinburgh for sorting despite a newish sorting office built on the Filton [Bristol] airport. However, no-one realised that Filton airport was to close down a few years after the new sorting office was built.

As for deliveries - still 5 days a week, with a delivery on Saturdays purely for junk mail.

However, I have a gripe with Parcel Force who were a couple of months ago charged with the UK handling of an urgent package for my business. The package was sent from Australia and included a cheque for US$1,800, a passport and bank details of an individual. The package required a signature and was deliberately timed for delivery of a specific day. Despite being in all that day to sign for the package, it never arrived. It was only the following day when I went on the tracking site of Australian company who originally handled the package that it was recorded as being signed for the previous day. I then decided to approach my neighbours and found the package lying on my garden wall next to a road. Who signed for it, well none of my neighbours admit to having done so, and Parcelforce have been less than forthcoming.

acmold

Nov 16, 2016, 11:43 AM

Post #16 of 22 (3811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Postal Deliveries [In reply to] Can't Post or

When my mother was alive but ill I had Power of Attorney so many things relating to finance, savings and pensions had to go recorded or registered post, quite often the supposed recipients claimed things had not turned up despite being signed for.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Nov 17, 2016, 10:58 AM

Post #17 of 22 (3651 views)
Shortcut

My post arrived at 5.40pm yesterday afternoon. A local record?

BigJR
Reserve Team Star

Nov 17, 2016, 2:49 PM

Team(s): Chelsea, Corinthian Casuals

Post #18 of 22 (3608 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
My post arrived at 5.40pm yesterday afternoon. A local record?

NO postal delivery one day then TWO the next, both PM.

And that being within just a few miles of both Redhill and Gatwick which are MAJOR sorting offices.

I do share a drink from time to time with a couple of long serving postmen. Generally, the staff are totally disenchanted, with hours cut, deliveries increased and abuse from management.

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Nov 17, 2016, 2:57 PM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #19 of 22 (3598 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigJR] Postal Deliveries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Apparently there was a secret strike on Monday and Tuesday this week at larger sorting/delivery offices; no-one bothered to inform the general public; this explains why a first class recorded delivery item I posted on Friday morning did not arrive at its destination in the Milton Keynes area till the middle of Wednesday.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Nov 5, 2019, 12:22 AM

Post #20 of 22 (666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] Postal Deliveries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Would anyone have any details on the proposed postal strike rumoured to be in the next week or so?

jrev61

Nov 6, 2019, 10:16 PM

Team(s): None

Post #21 of 22 (476 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Would anyone have any details on the proposed postal strike rumoured to be in the next week or so?

Will be interesting if strikes affect postal votes in the upcoming General Election, especially as many postal voters are elderly tories!

jrev61

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 13, 2019, 12:51 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #22 of 22 (224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Postal Deliveries [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm sure there is a reason but why can't they reverse their
round every other day?

At least most places would be guaranteed early post some
days of the week...unless you live in the middle Unsure

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3