ALEX FERGUSONS 'World Class Players'

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Sep 22, 2015, 11:28 AM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #1 of 15 (8699 views)
Shortcut
ALEX FERGUSONS 'World Class Players' Can't Post or Reply Privately

In his new book AF, mentions Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo and the thug, Cantona, as the only World Class players he managed.
Could it be that those omitted just happened to disagree publicly with the Scottish one......

No Beckham, Keane, Stam, Ferdinand or unbelieveably Peter Schmeichel......any others that would make your list?

(This post was edited by Ronsdog on Sep 22, 2015, 11:43 AM)

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 22, 2015, 3:38 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #2 of 15 (8640 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] ALEX FERGUSONS 'World Class Players' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bryan Robson, Paul Ince & Gary Neville

(This post was edited by windydcfc on Sep 22, 2015, 5:29 PM)

jrev61

Sep 22, 2015, 5:26 PM

Team(s): None

Post #3 of 15 (8622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] ALEX FERGUSONS 'World Class Players' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is the first and only time I have ever seen Paul Scholes described as 'world class'.

jrev61

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 22, 2015, 6:02 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #4 of 15 (8615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] ALEX FERGUSONS 'World Class Players' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
In his new book AF, mentions Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo and the thug, Cantona, as the only World Class players he managed.
Could it be that those omitted just happened to disagree publicly with the Scottish one......

No Beckham, Keane, Stam, Ferdinand or unbelieveably Peter Schmeichel......any others that would make your list?

To put in a bit more context, he did still describe these other players as great. I can kind of see where he's coming from with that - the four he does consider world class were a touch above the others, in terms of ability, impact and influence. But I agree, I'd probably have elevated Schmeichel to that list too.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 22, 2015, 6:34 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #5 of 15 (8606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] ALEX FERGUSONS 'World Class Players' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The likes of Robson and Ince were excellent club players and also did a good job for England but world class? Never.

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 23, 2015, 4:52 AM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #6 of 15 (8532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] ALEX FERGUSONS 'World Class Players' [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
This is the first and only time I have ever seen Paul Scholes described as 'world class'.

Really? One of the best midfielders of his generation and lauded by his peers such as Zidane and Xavi.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...-said-about-him.html

http://cantheyscore.com/...hat-define-a-legend/

He was world class. Simple as that, very few could match his passing and vision. For such a good player, he kept such a low profile off the pitch. May not be recognized by all spectators for what he was, but I think he's defined by what his peers say about him, rather than anyone else.

jrev61

Sep 23, 2015, 10:13 AM

Post #7 of 15 (8496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] ALEX FERGUSONS 'World Class Players' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

World class midfielders can tackle, Paul Scholes couldn't and when he tried to he usually ended up with a card.

jrev61

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Sep 23, 2015, 10:03 PM

Post #8 of 15 (8423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] ALEX FERGUSONS 'World Class Players' [In reply to] Can't Post or

Guess that rules out Zico and Iniesta from the 'world class' category then.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

scottywalds
First Team Star

Sep 24, 2015, 10:58 AM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #9 of 15 (8348 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] ALEX FERGUSONS 'World Class Players' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
World class midfielders can tackle, Paul Scholes couldn't and when he tried to he usually ended up with a card.

Bobby Charlton? George Best?

If you're saying the only thing he couldn't do was tackle, that makes him World Class!

jrev61

Sep 24, 2015, 11:37 AM

Post #10 of 15 (8342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] ALEX FERGUSONS 'World Class Players' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

If you're saying the only thing he couldn't do was tackle, that makes him World Class!

Wingers and strikers are not expected to tackle, midfielders are.Anyway the argument is irrelevant. In my experience of watching football from 1973 onwards, the only players I would describe as 'World Class' would be Cruyff, Platini, Maradona, Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. Other players come close like Ronaldo and Zico. The Manyoo players listed are not in the same class.Incidentally I don't include Pele or Bobby Charlton as I never saw them play on TV. Bobby Moore was well past his best by then as was George Best.

jrev61

Richard Rundle

Sep 24, 2015, 7:25 PM

Post #11 of 15 (8267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] ALEX FERGUSONS 'World Class Players' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
In my experience of watching football from 1973 onwards, the only players I would describe as 'World Class' would be Cruyff, Platini, Maradona, Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. Other players come close like Ronaldo and Zico. The Manyoo players listed are not in the same class.Incidentally I don't include Pele or Bobby Charlton as I never saw them play on TV. Bobby Moore was well past his best by then as was George Best.

So there's been no "world class" goalkeepers or defenders at all over that period?

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Sep 24, 2015, 8:36 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #12 of 15 (8249 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Wingers and strikers are not expected to tackle, midfielders are.Anyway the argument is irrelevant. In my experience of watching football from 1973 onwards, the only players I would describe as 'World Class' would be Cruyff, Platini, Maradona, Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. Other players come close like Ronaldo and Zico. The Manyoo players listed are not in the same class.Incidentally I don't include Pele or Bobby Charlton as I never saw them play on TV. Bobby Moore was well past his best by then as was George Best.

The clues in the threads title......world class players that AF managed.

I don't recall AF managing Best, Charlton, Moore or any of the foreign stars mentioned with the exception of Ronaldo. No Germans in your list either???

If Schmeichel doesn't qualify then heaven knows what a keeper has to do to join that illustrious bunch.

Steelback
First Team Star

Sep 27, 2015, 12:00 AM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #13 of 15 (8039 views)
Shortcut

Cantona was NOT World Class and not even anywhere near as evidenced by his consistently average performances in the Champions League whilst at United. More or less as soon as he left United went on to win the Trophy. Agree that the other 3 were though and would add Schmichael to that list along with Kleberson & Bebe Wink

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Sep 28, 2015, 12:04 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #14 of 15 (7864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] ALEX FERGUSONS 'World Class Players' [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think Cantona had some world-class moments. But so did Beckham.

Schmeichel, for me, was probably the best keeper that's been in the PL because he was more than a keeper. Definitely world-class.

Agree with the other three he had in his list.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 29, 2015, 6:25 AM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #15 of 15 (7752 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] ALEX FERGUSONS 'World Class Players' [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

The clues in the threads title......world class players that AF managed.

I don't recall AF managing Best, Charlton, Moore or any of the foreign stars mentioned with the exception of Ronaldo. No Germans in your list either???

If Schmeichel doesn't qualify then heaven knows what a keeper has to do to join that illustrious bunch.

That wasn't his point, his point was that whilst Scholes may not have been able to tackle, Charlton and Best couldn't either and they are considered to be at least greats.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3