'Epic' pointless pastimes

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 16, 2015, 11:12 AM

Team(s): Yeovil Town FC

Post #1 of 10 (3341 views)
Shortcut
'Epic' pointless pastimes Can't Post or Reply Privately

I expect 'most all here have been furtively guilty of using up odd rainy days, emulating footie tournaments with nowt more than pencil, paper & a couple of dies (in the olden days, at least) - especially if like me, you were Subbuteo-less!

I've met a few people however, who have remained playing these self-created games, on-and-off at least, for dozens of years, and who have kept astoundingly meticulous records of them. One of them (emulating cricket matches rather than football) had 40 years of contiguous game playing records, stretching over thousands of individual matches, a long happy marriage and the raising of four kids!

I, myself have dabbled as a teen, but stuck as I was in Rhodesia (now called Zimbabwe), it wasn't something that developed much past the discovery of the bikini-clad wenches in that swim-pool & barbeque obsessed culture!

However, that brief period of dabbling did lead to my developing one related and eventually yes, EPIC pointless passtime, in which I'm still active to this day.

Having been carted from UK to this foreign country at the age of eleven, with my footie passion still developing, and with all these exotic places named on maps of my new country - I became obsessed by cartography, and soon began drawing imaginary maps all over the place. However, to begin with, none of my drawings could satisfy me. Something was always 'wrong'. Then, it dawned upon me that most place names have descriptive meanings of locale &/or history, and it struck me that in any map I could draw, there would have to be naming conventions and rules. e.g. 'SomethingFORD' ought to exist in a river valley, or at least right next to a watercourse. Likewise 'AnotherPORT' really should be on the coast, or maybe on a major river near the coast.

Also at this time I decided that the placenames on my maps should all be originals and should not already exist anywhere in the world. Oh, and plus, they HAD to be essentially 'British or Irish'. At long last, the maps brought satisfaction! But then, I lost all interest in drawing them, and the survivors got packed-away amongst my artwork portfolio and gently forgotten for years on end.

Aged 22, I returned to UK, and my now motheaten maps accompanied me, like venerable old friends who were too precious to entirely lose contact with. However, they were faded and falling to shreds - so, inspired by my purchase of one of those new-fangled PCs, I just transliterated all those names into a database file.

That database's latest descendent sits now in this PC - just three placenames short of its 3500th. entry! (Although tbh, there's another database in this PC somewhere that holds about 1200 'European' language based placenames, too - however, I don't really count them yet, as I have yet to master the learning of anything but the most rudimentary naming conventions and rules for any other languages)

Thought I'd share. Anyone got similar they might take sheepish pride in? Smile

Inherited by AngusGF

(This post was edited by Kernovian on Sep 16, 2015, 11:17 AM)

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Sep 16, 2015, 5:23 PM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #2 of 10 (3269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kernovian] 'Epic' pointless pastimes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This beggars belief! Do you have an imaginary 'friend' as well?
I sometimes think ground hopping is pointless, but imaginary maps, I'm lost for words.

2019-20 - 12 games, last Kidlington v Daventry T, 17/8, goals 27, avgpg 2.25, new grounds 3. Last - Northampton ON Chenecks, 11/8.
New Grounds in 2019 - 17. 2018 - 44. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1210.
RL Grounds - 33 (Last - Macron Stadium, Challenge Cup SFs (5/8/18), Speedway Tracks 50.

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 16, 2015, 5:30 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #3 of 10 (3263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] 'Epic' pointless pastimes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've questioned my own sanity regarding ground hopping on a few occasions!

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 16, 2015, 11:59 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 10 (3196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] 'Epic' pointless pastimes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I sometimes think ground hopping is pointless, but imaginary maps, I'm lost for words.

Many people have an imaginary friend, who apparently hates gays and women. Not only that, they think that by killing other people - who share the same imaginary friend, but worship him in a slightly different way - they will gain a place in Paradise, where they can have the carnal knowledge of 72 virgins.

All of which makes drawing up imaginary maps and place-names sound quite normal.

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Sep 17, 2015, 9:25 AM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #5 of 10 (3138 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] 'Epic' pointless pastimes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

To be fair, I do actually love maps myself. Always have had a fascination in visiting new places, wondering where they are near, what the places are like etc. I suppose ground hopping does help with that wunder lust.
Three weeks ago I'd never heard of Myndd Llandegai, because of footy and hopping I now know all about this tiny little village atop a mountainside in North West Wales!

2019-20 - 12 games, last Kidlington v Daventry T, 17/8, goals 27, avgpg 2.25, new grounds 3. Last - Northampton ON Chenecks, 11/8.
New Grounds in 2019 - 17. 2018 - 44. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1210.
RL Grounds - 33 (Last - Macron Stadium, Challenge Cup SFs (5/8/18), Speedway Tracks 50.

acmold

Sep 17, 2015, 10:43 AM

Post #6 of 10 (3123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] 'Epic' pointless pastimes [In reply to] Can't Post or

Have to admit I quite like maps, so it's a good job my imaginary friend works for Ordnance Survey.

windydcfc

Sep 17, 2015, 5:14 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #7 of 10 (3035 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] 'Epic' pointless pastimes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Many people have an imaginary friend, who apparently hates gays and women. Not only that, they think that by killing other people - who share the same imaginary friend, but worship him in a slightly different way - they will gain a place in Paradise, where they can have the carnal knowledge of 72 virgins.

All of which makes drawing up imaginary maps and place-names sound quite normal.

But don't some people think another imaginary friend was nailed to a cross & ascended to an imaginary place called heaven. That has an imaginary ruler, who happens to be 'nailed to the cross' guys old man, bizarrely they're actually the same person & there's some imaginary ghost knocking about in the imaginary story!!!

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 17, 2015, 5:47 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #8 of 10 (3001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] 'Epic' pointless pastimes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ah, the smugness of the heretic! Laugh

Obviously no-one can prove either way but there's a big difference between imagination and faith. I doubt the OP has many believers, for example...

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 17, 2015, 7:07 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #9 of 10 (2968 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] 'Epic' pointless pastimes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Imaginary maps are all well and good but where do you draw the line....?

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

jrev61

Sep 18, 2015, 5:07 PM

Team(s): None

Post #10 of 10 (2830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] 'Epic' pointless pastimes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Ah, the smugness of the heretic! Laugh

Obviously no-one can prove either way but there's a big difference between imagination and faith. I doubt the OP has many believers, for example...

The difference is, faith is believing things that other people have imagined. Often hundreds of years ago.

jrev61

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3