A football book from the 50's or 60's

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 29, 2015, 8:18 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #1 of 1 (2710 views)
Shortcut
A football book from the 50's or 60's Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is a very long shot but worth a try. The other day I was reading an article about the Fair Isle and it reminded me of a book (hardback) I once read when I was a child in the late 60's. I would have been around 9 or 10 years old. I can't remember the title of the book or the author but I do remember what it was about.

I'm not sure if this was a story based on fact or just pure fiction, I would like to think it was some truth in the story. The book details a football tournament involving 3 islands, the Fair Isles and I think the other 2 islands are the Orkney's and Faroe Is. The book tells of a man that travels to the games on each of the islands, how he travelled and, I think, sort of match report, all described as a story. I can't even remember the mans name.

This probably wasn't a popular book, more of your schoolboy adventure type of story book and the illustrations were drawings rather than photos, a bit like a 50's style comic.

I'm wondering if anyone remembers this book, or if this was an actual event, if anyone remembers the tournament. As I say this is a very long shot and the book is probably doesn't have any value, and I know my description is a bit vague, but if this does ring any bells with anyone then please let me know.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3